• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My USB is borked, shows all space taken when only 1.5 gigs is.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    It shows me that all 3.5 gigs are filled, when clearly its only 1.5. I tried formatting it the first time, and it persisted. Help?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Got it 6 months ago, never had issues with it. Movies in general, nothing special.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • WHERE did you get it, not when. What store?

Also, try turning on hidden files, and if that doesn't work turn on show protected OS files. Turn them back off when you're done.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Does it say 1.5GB is used, and that is %100? Or does it say that 2GB is used when in actuality only 1.5GB is?

If it is the former, what format is the thing? Is it NTFS? FAT? FAT32? EXFAT? Some other format? You may have corruption on your drive, and some formats will just mark those sections as unusable and that will decrease the capacity of your drive... Or it could be extraneous overhead in the format specification that is taking up a lot of room...

If it is the latter, it is very possible that, as twocows mentioned, that you just have hidden files taking up space on there, like maybe autobackup or recover files for example. Or maybe files that came on the drive when you bought it.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Its 1.5 used and showing 3.5 used when it should be 1.5 used 2 gigs available. Its fat 32 and I'm pretty sure there is a corrupt sector in it, but the restoration option is not bringing up anything, bother before and after I formatted it.

Guest123_x1

It's possible that your device has some "missing" files (lost clusters) and maybe even bad sectors that had been patched in the past. You might want to check your device for errors using a disk-checking program (such as chkdsk /r in Windows, or whatever else your operating system supplies-note that you may have to delete some files to free up space first).

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It might be partitioned oddly. Try looking at it with disk management (start menu, type computer management, click "disk management" on the left, find the one that looks about the right size on the bottom, and see if there are multiple partitions on it).

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I can't see anything about the removable disk, am on XP btw. The stick is probably corrupt, cause nothing is working.

Back