• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X and Y?

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
From my point of view, math uses any and every letter of the alphabet. Science too.

With the added in helix of the Japanese logo, one can't help but think that the titles are more than just GameFreak trying to be punny. Usually the names have nothing to do with the overall story or theme, but I suppose there is always a first for everything. While I think the theory of X and Y being points on the 3D axis is more of a symbolic representation for being made for the 3DS than anything else.
Actually, BW's names were related to the overall theme. You know the phrase "black-and-white thinking"? That was part of the theme. N even references it at one point.

The Legend of Zorra

La Leyenda de la Zorra
Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
The idea of X and Y being a meaningless title is disturbing, and I doubt they'd do that just to throw the entire world off. Anyway, a Z sequel could tie into both the 3D theory AND the genetics theory, because the Z chromosome does exist in the ZW sex determination system. It's a bit of a stretch, but still plausible (and I hope to god that there is a genetics component to the plot, because if there was I would figuratively DIE OF HAPPINESS RIGHT THEN AND THERE); the ZW system determines the sex of birds, some fish, reptiles, insects, crustaceans, etc.

But I digress. I've got to say, if it happens it would combine two of my great nerdy loves, genetics and pokemon, and I don't know if I'd be able to handle all of the feels. And you know it's serious, because I never say "all of the feels."

EDIT: Call it too much bio if you want, but the X&Y germ theory is also something to chew on. If you look at the neuron and myosin shape, you really start to see Xerneas and Yveltal.

7.gif

There's a bigger version of the picture, but I didn't want to stretch the board.

Last edited:

Ducklighter

Throw caution to the wind.
Years
Y. I like Yveltal, my gender fits the Y chromosome, and I'm tall - so I fit the Y axis more than the X axis.

I always assumed X & Y were related to the axes rather than the chromosomes because it makes sense if they were to release a third game like RBY, GSC, RSE, DPP and possibly XYZ which are axes.

But yeah, sorry. Off topic but it was a question that I needed to ask.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I always assumed X & Y were related to the axes rather than the chromosomes because it makes sense if they were to release a third game like RBY, GSC, RSE, DPP and possibly XYZ which are axes.

But yeah, sorry. Off topic but it was a question that I needed to ask.
Off-topic there, but it should fit right at home here.

With so many theories floating around, I've kind of just put myself to believe that it's a combination of multiple reasons. From the likely use of genetics within the games' story to the representaion of the 3D axis.

TheHitAndKill

Youtube Me TheHitAndKill
Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
Theory on why it's X and Y

I was thinking maybe it's X and Y because these are the final 2 new games that will be released? If you think about it they always release two games and then 1 more that is just the 2 games combined with more features (Ruby Sapphire Emerald, Gold, Silver and Crystal etc). Maybe the last game could be potentially called Z and Z is the last letter in the alphabet. But I suppose this isn't a US made game but it still could be the reason. I could also be talking out of my ass too.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Trust me, this has been brought up in multiple topics. I'm one of those who put forth the "Z" theory, and I also brought up genetics as the reason for those names (further hinted at by our Mewtwo Wannabe yesterday).

However, this is the 22nd game of this style of play; we're close to the x=24 idea.

Cyclone

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I'd be very much for the idea that X and Y are related to the X and Y gender chromosomes too. What would be interesting is if Sylveon tied into the genetics idea but I don't know how...

TheHitAndKill

Youtube Me TheHitAndKill
Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
Genetics make sense, that mewtwo/frieza baby looking thing. Also they released a new eevee evolution. most pokedex entries for eevee's read as follow 'Its genetic code is unstable, so it could evolve in a variety of ways. There are only a few alive.'

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Genetics make sense, that mewtwo/frieza baby looking thing. Also they released a new eevee evolution. most pokedex entries for eevee's read as follow 'Its genetic code is unstable, so it could evolve in a variety of ways. There are only a few alive.'
That was in Yellow. "There are only a few alive" has since been removed, and they even have a habitat in Castelia City in B2/W2.

Cyclone

TheHitAndKill

Youtube Me TheHitAndKill
Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
It doesn't matter if it was only in yellow, for the last part. The genetics part is in every other game.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
It doesn't matter if it was only in yellow, for the last part. The genetics part is in every other game.

Eevee is only referenced like that because it used to be the only Pokemon to evolve with 3 alternate evolutions. Now its the only Pokemon with 8 different evolutions. That's the only reason they say its Genetic code is messed up.

The Japanese titles for the game have a rainbow colored Helix in them. Its pretty well known that the theme is Genetic.

Back