• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] (Pokemon Gold) How do I make 'POKé' lowercase?

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2019
    I'm currently getting my feet wet with ROM hacking by starting with Pokemon Gold. The first thing I decided to do was remove all of the UPPERCASE words, however I've ran into a problem. I am currently using the program 'Poké Text' but I am unable to change any of the POKé using this program. I know that I am able to change that using the a hex editor, however I wanted to know if there was a way other than that, simply because I am having a hard time finding all of those instances.

Also for a little clarification words like POKéMON and POKéDEX all I can modify are -mon and -dex so the words looks like POKémon and POKédex.

::EDIT:: Fixed some spelling issues.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Whenever you write "POKé" with Poke text, it actually just writes one single byte (specifically byte 0x54) to the rom. You can write that same word by four consecutive characters as well (P + O + K + é) which would be 0x8F 0x8E 0x8A 0xEA.

If you search those four bytes in that order with a hex editor, you'll come up with one search result which is at rom address 0x1150. That is basically the address where the "stuff" to be written, when byte 0x54 is accessed inside text data, is.

Since you basically want to lowercase each instance of "POKé" in the game, replace those bytes 0x8F 0x8E 0x8A with 0x8F 0xAE 0xAA which will lead "POKé" changing into "Poké" in the game.

Anyway, if you wanted to have byte 0x54 inside text data have a totally different effect to the game than writing "Poké" word, you could change here how using it plays out in the game.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2019
    It took me forever to figure out exactly what you were saying, but I figured it out. Thanks for helping me, I'm bound to be asking more questions in the future. I'll also make sure that if it's a simple question to use the "Quick Question and Answers" topic.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • It took me forever to figure out exactly what you were saying, but I figured it out. Thanks for helping me, I'm bound to be asking more questions in the future. I'll also make sure that if it's a simple question to use the "Quick Question and Answers" topic.
    There aren't really people around here who would help you out.
    I personally happened to see your message by accident since it was the latest post shown from the main page of the forum.

For questions related to RBY or GSC rom hacking, you should register to hax.iimarck.us.
    There are others who can help you out there since it's a forum just for that purpose (unlike this one which is mostly centered around editing generation III).

Back