• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon in the 1930s/40s

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    Can you imagine what a world with Pokemon would be like if the setting were not today but in the 30s or 40s?

Hmm, I can imagine people listening to Pokemon tournament radio broadcasts and Pokemon-related radio drama in their homes (home televisions were extremely uncommon back then).

What else can you imagine. Post your thoughts here!

Years
  • I'm not sure about the Pokémon-related radio drama. I know Pokémon would play a big part in the Pokémon World, but I doubt dramas involving human conflict would revolve around Pokémon just because they exist.

I assume it'd be much like how things are in the game, however society is like it was in the 30s or 40s. It'd be similar, battles would still take place and be broadcast on radio, perhaps professional trainers and audiences would wear suits/dresses, just like how going out to see the footy used to be an occasion to dress up for in real life (any Australians just have to look up old footage of AFL grand finals to see all the women in dresses and hats and men in suits). Maybe women weren't allowed to be Pokémon trainers, or at least professional trainers. Racism and sexism would surely influence who could enter into tournaments at least.

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
  • There would be no Porygon... :(

On the bright side we would still have psychic, electric and fire types to help create technology and industry.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2011
    I really don't see that as being a fun game, considering it wasn't very much of a fun time.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    I really don't see that as being a fun game, considering it wasn't very much of a fun time.

I think it would still be enjoyed by many people, just like football back in the 30s/40s. As for pokeballs, being a recent invention (invented in 1926 if I remember correctly), they will not be widely available and probably be used by only the upper-middle and upper class people (as new technology is always expensive). And with computer (and computer network) technology still in it's infancy, there will be no instant teleportation of pokemon, and people will be sending letters with pidgeys.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    That was a horrible time so this is a horrible idea.

Eh? Granted the time period was host to the second World War, it was a very interesting time period and certainly not a horrible idea. It could make for an interesting setting... military themes for example: Armies using Pokemon as means for wars and battles, and on the other side, militia and resistance groups using Pokemon to help the people and fight back. Also adding a touch of steam-punk... my oh my, this would make for a very interesting and awesome Pokemon world if you ask me.

LilacArcanine

Aiber Enthusiast
    Years
  • Maybe an expy of the Nazi Party could be the baddies of the day and you could be sent to war at any time along with your Pokemon?

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Maybe an expy of the Nazi Party could be the baddies of the day and you could be sent to war at any time along with your Pokemon?

That's what I was thinking!

I think it is a great idea actually. They could do so much with the story.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Sorry Pikachu I am going to have to let you go, I can't afford to feed you any more after the Stock Market crashed. Charziard use Flamethrower to burn them out of their pill box! Yes what a great time, I get to use pokemon for combat purposes in war!

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2020
    Sorry Pikachu I am going to have to let you go, I can't afford to feed you any more after the Stock Market crashed. Charziard use Flamethrower to burn them out of their pill box! Yes what a great time, I get to use pokemon for combat purposes in war!

Oh no! I'll feel bad if I make my Nidoking destroy a city with his Earthquake… I should just nuke 'em!!! >_>

Honestly, this sounds like a great idea… you all talk like any of that "horrible stuff" that happened back in the day doesn't happen anymore (yay, a black president… guilt-free ^_^)…

It doesn't work like that… the idea is awesome, there's a lot of ways you could expand it, people criticizing it saying "those were horrible times, oh no!" are just being simple-minded beezies.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    Maybe an expy of the Nazi Party could be the baddies of the day
    Did you mean ESPer? Then during the war, governments on both sides of the conflict could use psychic pokemon for intelligence gathering.

Sorry Pikachu I am going to have to let you go, I can't afford to feed you any more after the Stock Market crashed.
    :'(:'(:'(

I've also thought about the infamous Bonnie and Clyde using pokemon instead of guns to rob banks.:laugh:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I would imagine that there would be war against the regions. Kanto and Johto would be allies, of course. And Pokemon wouldn't be kept of Pokeballs yet. Its either in apricot balls or just trained without a Pokeball. I'd also imagine there would be no "futuristic Pokemon" and there would be no Deoxys either. xD

Baconkillszombies

I AM NOT A ZOMBIE >.>
    Years
  • I think the question really is, would all the turbulence really occur if pokemon took place in the 30's and 40's? The other question is, wouldn't the pokemon world be far ahead of the real world, with all it's sophisticated floating robots and teleportation?

If it pokemon were to mirror our world in some ways, this is the best answer for me. :D

Eh? Granted the time period was host to the second World War, it was a very interesting time period and certainly not a horrible idea. It could make for an interesting setting... military themes for example: Armies using Pokemon as means for wars and battles, and on the other side, militia and resistance groups using Pokemon to help the people and fight back. Also adding a touch of steam-punk... my oh my, this would make for a very interesting and awesome Pokemon world if you ask me. __________________

Back