• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Scripting Question] Upgrading Moves

Byliyth

A Giant Mess
Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2020
    So I had an idea for a Pokemon Fan Game I've been working on for a while and it includes upgrading moves. Basically, it'd increase base damage like how PP Ups boost PP for the move. If anybody could help with this, I'd really appreciate it!

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2022
    So I had an idea for a Pokemon Fan Game I've been working on for a while and it includes upgrading moves. Basically, it'd increase base damage like how PP Ups boost PP for the move. If anybody could help with this, I'd really appreciate it!
    im not the best scripter, but an idea that may work, which is also pretty simple, is to just make new TMs that teach the same move, but higher base power. As well as giving the item itself a different name and sprite icon. So itll look like your item, itll be named your item, but itll act the same as a TM, where it teaches a new move. Itll just be a kind of way to trick the system. Itll look like an upgraded move, but itll just be teaching it a new move with more power, but the same name. Should work out just fine.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I think NewAgeSteel's suggestion is a good one.

If you're semi-comfortable with Ruby the other option is to add a new attribute in PokeBattle_Move for how much power to boost by, and then add that extra power in pbBaseDamage (or maybe in another method, I'm not sure exactly how the damage is worked out). Then add an item like PP Up that increases the value of the new attribute you added.

Back