• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

team help

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    ive never competitively battled before as we didn't have fast enough wifi

but i want to try but i need a bit of help with my team im mainly offensive battiler
    ill lv them up to lv100 once im certain ill use them i know the natures /ability arnt the best but i havent even started yet and im not going to mess around with them the only one im defently using is heracross I WONT baton pass or use stat altering moves except nasty plot and swords dance

i definatly want to keep

heracross
    lv1oo
    item leftovers
    nature gentle (i know its not the best but im not changing it)
    ability guts
    move set
    rock slide
    megahorn
    close combat
    earthquake
    stats hp 309
    attack 346
    deffence 173
    sp.attack 94
    sp. def 242
    speed 232

tyrantar
    lv72
    item ?
    nature serious
    ability sand stream
    moves
    rock slide
    earthquake
    crunch
    thrash?

gengar
    lv 85
    nature adamant =( sadly i wont change this as it took so long to raise him b4 i relised
    ability levitate
    item?
    moves
    dark pulse
    destiny bond
    shadow ball
    night shade ?

shuckle
    careful
    leftovers/chesto berry
    gluttony
    toxic
    earthquake/ gyroball
    rest
    protect?

lapras
    lv72
    docile
    shell armor
    psychic
    blizzard/icebeam
    surf
    ?

metagross
    lv76
    quirky
    clear body
    psychic/zen head but
    hammer arm
    metor mash
    ?

OR

alakazam
    ?

OR OTHER

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hi there!

For someone who has never battled competitively, you do have a nice selection of Pokemon! Heracross is great in a competitive environment. As are Tyranitar, Gengar, and Metagross.

However, it takes an aweful lot of work if you want to go far. Unfortunately, not breeding for correct natures / IVs is a critical error in competitive battling. Another necessary factor are the EVs, which you can read about here. Without these things, you can't expect to do very well.

You might benefit a lot from downloading Pokemon Online and reading an Introduction to Competitive Battling. Pokemon Online is a great way to gain a deeper understanding of what it takes to battle competitively and you'll be able to create your ideal Pokemon for any battling circumstance.

Anyway, you're team has a lot going for it!

Gengar is an excellent Pokemon with a Base Special Attack Stat at 130. Adamant.. is not the recommended nature for a Pokemon that is specially-oriented. May I suggest:

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Levitate
    252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    Timid [+Speed; -Attack] / Modest [+Special Attack; -Attack]
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Protect

As for Heracross, it would make an excellent Status Absorber. But your move set is pretty good if you ask me. I suggest:

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
    Guts
    252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    Jolly [+Speed; -Special Attack]
    - Stone Edge
    - Mega Horn
    - Close Combat
    - Sleep Talk / Night Slash

Sleep Talk is referring to that Status Absorber thing and Night Slash will give you good coverage.

Tyranitar works well with many roles. Here is an example of a mixed sweeper:

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt / Leftovers
    Sandstream
    252 HP / 188 Special Attack / 68 Speed
    Quiet [+Special Attack; -Speed]
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Ice Beam

Natures that give no benefit to any specific stat are not very good. Generally speaking, most Pokemon excel in one area and therefore can take the 10% loss in another. For instance, Gengar. Because it's Special Attack is so good, it's safe to say that it's Attack isn't very good. So Gengar would be best with a Modest (+Special Attack; -Attack) nature, simply because you wouldn't teach it any Physical Attacks.

Best of luck to you, hope this helped a bit!

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    thanx the reason the natures aren't good as these are pokemon ive played with in game before i knew about natures but i know they may not do very well competitively their a few of my best pokemon and i dont want to raise them from scratch until i see how well they do

and while i know ivs and ev s make a big difference i want to see for myself

what about the others
    i also have other pokemon as well so any other pokemon i could use

can u use items in the battles

i need a sixth pokemon for my team

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    thanx the reason the natures aren't good as these are pokemon ive played with in game before i knew about natures but i know they may not do very well competitively their a few of my best pokemon and i dont want to raise them from scratch until i see how well they do

what about the others

Well, you may be underwhelmed at how they do - when you battle competitively (especially in big tournaments), most if not all people IV breed and EV train. The EVs and IVs make a huuuuuuuuuge difference and oftentimes can make or break the matches for you. But if you're determined not to use them that's okay too I suppose - just know it will be that much harder to win.

Yes, you can use items in battles. Not Revives or Hyper Potions, but items like Choice Band or Leftovers.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024

what about the others

Listen to Vrai. He knows what he's talking about.

But honestly, "seeing for yourself" is probably the best attitude you can have. Just realize that you're going to be losing a lot in the beginning until you figure out what you need for your Pokemon to be perfect.

Anyway. Shuckle isn't exactly a good Pokemon. If you want something with strong a Defense why don't you try something like Blissey (Special Defense) or Cloyster?

Cloyster @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
    Skill Link
    252 Attack / 208 Speed / 48 HP
    Jolly [+Speed; -Special Attack]
    - Shell Smash
    - Icicle Spear / Spikes / Toxic Spikes
    - Rock Smash / Rapid Spin
    - Razor Shell / Ice Shard

Now, the beautiful thing about Cloyster is how much you can work with it. There is this beautiful thing called Skill Link and it's everything that makes Cloyster so scary. It basically means that Icicle Spear and Rock Blast have a Base Power of 125 each, not including Icicle Spear's STAB (totals out to be 187.. I think?). Ice Shard can be a good priority move for revenge killing. Depending if you decide to run a Lead Cloyster (this involves using the secondary moves I recommended. ie: Spikes) you're going to want to use a Focus Sash so Cloyster can get out there and kill. The Life Orb is good if you want to stick with Cloyster's physical facets.

If you do choose to use Cloyster, than you team is going to be very weak to Grass. So, you can fix that by replacing Lapras with Heatran.

Heatran @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
    Flash Fire
    252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    Rash [+Special Attack; -Special Defense]
    - Flamethrower / Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Hidden Power [Ice / Grass]

Choice Specs Heatran is going to bulldoze opponents. Simple. STAB Fire Blast with Flash Fire and you could 2HKO Blissey. Dragon Pulse will take care of those pesky Dragons and do relatively well to hit everything with neutral damage. Hidden Power Grass will hit Tyranitar and bulky waters hard. As for HP Ice, that was recommend to me by Vrai on my own Heatran. I said it once, and I'll say it again. Listen to Vrai.

Hope this helped!

N16

Expert Trainer
    Years
  • I would recommend downloading Pokémon Online. You can make your dream team on that and test it with good IVs and proper EVs. If you get some results, then maybe your team isn't half bad and you should try to make it. EVing doesn't take that long and while breeding for the right nature can be tedious, its worth it. You could even go on the trade corner and request your level 1 poké if you dont want to do it :P

Back