• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weird Pokemon Battle Encounter Glitch

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 21, 2023
    Edit: I think I found the problem? I talked to the trainer instead, and saw it gave me an Ether. I remembered there was a Pokeball on the map that gave an Ether, so I wonder if they were conflicting somehow? Instead of trying to figure it out, I just wiped all the person events, and made new ones, and it seems to work just fine now.

For whatever reason, I can't get my Pokemon battles to work in this route. There's nothing wrong with my script, and I even took a script from the base game's Viridian Forest, and got the same result. The trainer stops you one tile early, walks up to you, the player faces the wrong direction, and then this infinite line of characters goes through. I've provided a screenshot that shoes the interaction in game, as well as what is shown for the trainer in Advance Map.

Also, I feel I should mention that this script works perfectly fine when I tried it in Viridian Forest.

CU7j6gj.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2019
    Edit: I think I found the problem? I talked to the trainer instead, and saw it gave me an Ether. I remembered there was a Pokeball on the map that gave an Ether, so I wonder if they were conflicting somehow? Instead of trying to figure it out, I just wiped all the person events, and made new ones, and it seems to work just fine now.

For whatever reason, I can't get my Pokemon battles to work in this route. There's nothing wrong with my script, and I even took a script from the base game's Viridian Forest, and got the same result. The trainer stops you one tile early, walks up to you, the player faces the wrong direction, and then this infinite line of characters goes through. I've provided a screenshot that shoes the interaction in game, as well as what is shown for the trainer in Advance Map.

Also, I feel I should mention that this script works perfectly fine when I tried it in Viridian Forest.

If you add too much to a pre existing script it will most likely overwrite data from a different part of the game usually somewhere on the same map you edited. Most likely when you added the trainer battle it conflicted with the pokeball with the ether in it. Which is also a npc event which is why you got a mix of a trainer battle script and a get item script. This happened to me where edited a talking script already in the game making it slightly longer so when i talked to a different npc i would get half of his text and half of the text from the other npc whose script i edited previously.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2019
    In short be careful when editing pre existing scripts. It's much safer to make a new script with a new offset than to add on to an existing bit of data.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 21, 2023
    In short be careful when editing pre existing scripts. It's much safer to make a new script with a new offset than to add on to an existing bit of data.

I didn't modify anything. I quite literally copy and pasted the offset from a pre existing trainer, and put it on someone else. And I've been making all of my scripts myself, it was just acting oddly, so I used another script that was already in game to see if it was my script, or if there was something else going on. I think it was the event numbers conflicting? I don't know, but once I deleted all of the person events and remade them, everything worked fine.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2019
    I didn't modify anything. I quite literally copy and pasted the offset from a pre existing trainer, and put it on someone else. And I've been making all of my scripts myself, it was just acting oddly, so I used another script that was already in game to see if it was my script, or if there was something else going on. I think it was the event numbers conflicting? I don't know, but once I deleted all of the person events and remade them, everything worked fine.

Ahh I see, yeah using scripts already in the game can be tricky. The hack im making is attempting to stay true to the original game as much as possible so i like to edit the pre existing events and scripts and I get conflicts if i'm not super careful. Always best to make new scripts for anyone having a similar problem.

Back