• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

please RMT

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2011
Hi all,

I've been playing pokemon for quite a while now, but i'm very very new competitive battling, could you please rate and give feedback on the team im trying out? thanks, i appreciate it.

(in no particular order as of now)

Bisharp lv. 52
ability: defiant
nature: impish
item: spooky plate
atk 148, def 134, sp. atk 65, sp. def 92, speed 88
swords dance
x-scissor
shadow claw
night shade

Tropius lv. 53
ability: chlorophyll
nature: naive
item: macho brace (training only)
atk 93, def 106, sp. atk 87, sp. def 88, speed 78
earthquake
body slam
fly
leaf tornado

Altaria lv. 52
ability: natural cure
nature: bold
item: adamant orb
atk 81, def 113, sp. atk 90, sp. def 116, speed 105
earthquake
dragonbreath (i want to replace this but i dont know what with)
dragon dance
fly

Samurott lv. 56
ability: torrent
nature: hardy
ability: mystic water
atk 142, def 113, sp. atk 143, sp. def 90, speed 105
revenge
x-scissor
aqua tail
surf

Terrakion lv. 44 (still in training, not ready for use yet)
ability: justified
nature: naughty
item: leftovers
atk 139, def 86, sp. atk 74, sp. def 84, speed 103
helping hand
earthquake
rock slide
sacred sword

Volcarona lv. 74
ability: flame body
nature: serious
item: silverpowder
atk 119, def 118, sp. atk 227, sp. def 180, speed 176
fly (want to replace, but i dont know what with)
quiver dance
flamethrower
bug buzz

some possible replacements:

Graveler lv. 50
ability: sturdy
nature: relaxed
item: hard stone
atk 113, def 134, sp. atk 60, sp. def 63, speed 45
strength
bulldoze
stealth rock
earthquake

Beheeyem lv. 58
ability: telepathy
item: mind plate
atk 108, def 110, sp. atk 146, sp. def 130, speed 66
shadow ball
psychic
charge beam
recover

there you have it, i know its probably not great but its a work in progress. please geive me some feedback on it, and let me know if theres anything illegal that ive missed. thanks again,

-goodberger

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
There are some basic things that go into competitive battling that you may want to take into consideration..

You might want to read this, it will probably help you a lot.

Once you got all that, edit your post and we'll all be happy to help! Good luck!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
welcome to the competitive battling center! since we can't really rate stats, due to being too complex, we request the evs to be posted. if you don't know what evs are, you can read up on them here. evs are a very important part of competitive battling because they give a major increase in stats.

Bisharp lv. 52
ability: defiant
item: spooky plate
atk 148, def 134, sp. atk 65, sp. def 92, speed 88
swords dance
x-scissor
shadow claw
night shade
first off, impish isn't a very good nature, it increases defense and lowers special attack, so it doesn't give bisharp any good boosts (though they're not bad for it either). adamant is a much better nature, as it raises attack and lowers special attack. bisharp would appreciate the attack boost more. next, type enhancing items such as spooky plate or charcoal are inferior to life orb, which grants a much more notable boost (life orb's boost is 30%; type enhancing items are 10%) and also works for any move type. there is a downside in that the holder loses 10% of its max hp each time it attacks, but it isn't that significant for an offensive pokémon.

x-scissor doesn't give very good coverage, because bisharp's dark moves hit the same targets just as good. x-scissor doesn't hit any notable threats anyway. speaking of dark moves, bisharp always needs a dark move, because of stab (same type attack bonus). if you don't know about this, when a move is the same type as the user, it gives a 50% boost. and if you're curious why i recommended dark instead of steel for move types, dark isn't resisted by so many types like steel is. so, a good dark move would be sucker punch, it makes up for bisharp's low speed. without it, bisharp has a lot of trouble sweeping due to being so slow and having common weaknesses (fire and fighting comes to mind).

shadow claw hits the same type of pokémon that sucker punch does, so i suggest brick break to be used instead, because it provides perfect coverage with a dark move (and hits dark and steel super effectively, which resist dark). iron head is another option as a second stab move, and can hit pokémon that resist fighting moves.

night shade is a poor move for bisharp, because it doesn't benefit from the swords dance boost. the damage it deals isn't very impressive either (always 100), while other moves could do much more than 100 with bisharp's high attack stat. substitute (or the previously mentioned iron head) can be used so that you can set up a sub while the opponent switches to their counter. that can be used to protect yourself from pokémon like mach punch conkeldurr.

Tropius lv. 53
ability: chlorophyll
nature: naive
item: macho brace (training only)
atk 93, def 106, sp. atk 87, sp. def 88, speed 78
earthquake
body slam
fly
leaf tornado
jolly nature is preferred, so you don't reduce tropius' special defense. but, naive isn't too bad. once you're done training, i recommend life orb once you're done training, as it will support tropius' poor attacking stats. body slam gives pretty pointless coverage when grass-, flying-, and ground-type moves all together is enough. i advise using swords dance, so you have an easier time sweeping. tropius has very low attack, so it needs all the help it can get. aerial ace should be used instead of fly, because fly can be easily predicted since it's a two turn move. roost can also be used to recover hp, and tropius has pretty good defenses. if you chose to go with swords dance, leaf blade should go over leaf tornado because it's physical so it benefits from the attack boost. leaf blade is also much stronger.

i'd also like to mention that tropius is very inferior to other grass pokémon like ferrothorn and breloom, sadly.

Altaria lv. 52
ability: natural cure
nature: bold
item: adamant orb
atk 81, def 113, sp. atk 90, sp. def 116, speed 105
earthquake
dragonbreath (i want to replace this but i dont know what with)
dragon dance
fly
bold nature is an awful nature for this type of moveset (lowers attack and raises defense), unfortunately. again, adamant would be better to help with altaria's low attack. dragonbreath doesn't take advantage of dragon dance's attack boost, so use outrage or dragon claw (outrage is preferred because of its much higher base power). like i said earlier, fly isn't very good, but a flying move isn't really needed at all thanks to dragon-type moves only being resisted by steel pokémon (and earthquake already hits them fine). roost can be used to heal damage taken, and could help you set up more dragon dances. fire blast is another option for hitting steelix harder on the switch (without a dragon dance), but roost is better in my opinion.

also, if you can't find an altaria with an adamant nature, the following defensive moveset could be used: dragon pulse / roost / heal bell / perish song, roar, or haze.

and like tropius, dragonite, salamence, lati@s, garchomp, hydreigon, etc are better as offensive pokémon. :( they can't use the defensive moveset i listed above, but it still isn't very good.

Samurott lv. 56
ability: torrent
nature: hardy
ability: mystic water
atk 142, def 113, sp. atk 143, sp. def 90, speed 105
revenge
x-scissor
aqua tail
surf
okay, i don't really know much about samurott so i won't rate it.

as far as i know though, rotom wash, jellicent, starmie, etc are superior, if you're ok with replacing it. :x

Terrakion lv. 44 (still in training, not ready for use yet)
ability: justified
nature: naughty
item: leftovers
atk 139, def 86, sp. atk 74, sp. def 84, speed 103
helping hand
earthquake
rock slide
sacred sword
leftovers isn't very good for terrakion, it doesn't benefit as much from the recovery as would it instead with air balloon (for setting up on ground moves, and helps with your excadrill weakness). helping hand is useless in single battles, so rock polish would better as the speed boost can help terrakion sweep fast offense teams. rock moves hit the same pokémon earthquake usually does, so swords dance is an option as a second boosting move that is more focused on defeating defensive/stall teams. stone edge is an alternative to rock slide, but rock slide is also viable since it has higher accuracy. sacred sword isn't too bad, but close combat is favored with its higher power.

Volcarona lv. 74
ability: flame body
nature: serious
item: silverpowder
atk 119, def 118, sp. atk 227, sp. def 180, speed 176
fly (want to replace, but i dont know what with)
quiver dance
flamethrower
bug buzz
serious is a poor battling nature, since it doesn't boost any stat. timid would be better for volcarona, the speed increase helps it outrun or "speed tie" with pokémon like jirachi. modest is fine too though. as usual, life orb can be used over silverpowder for more power. fly can be replaced with hidden power rock or ground (if it has that hp type, but it's best to replace it with another volcarona that has a better nature anyway...) to hit pokémon like gyarados and heatran respectively. fire blast is another option for situations where you prefer power over accuracy. fiery dance is better than flamethrower, it has a 50% chance of raising special attack each time you use it! and has 80 base power, which is only 15 lower base power than flamethrower.

however, if you can't get a good hp type, another option is to go with a different moveset in mind. you might like quiver dance / rest / fire blast or fiery dance / bug buzz with chesto berry and modest nature. with chesto berry, you can use rest to recover all of your health once after using quiver dance a few times. that way, you'll be at full health along with the quiver dance boost(s).

i hope this was helpful haha.

Back