• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

(No Prefix) The Summerdown Gallery Chatspot

Years
I gave this no prefix 'cause I wanna keep my options open. I may click back here and add something in bullet-points if the moment strikes me.

Greetings y'all. I've decided to open up a tiny artstuffs thread on here, see what the community cooks up in response.
I'm sure those of you who've seen me before have also seen the gallery link I posted about as soon as I joined here, but what I'm looking for
out of this is a little bit of head-to-head critique or pointers on a few pieces.
Don't be shy yous. ^~^ Chat to your hearts content if you like, I encourage ya to check out the below and express yourselves as I have.

1* Gift to to an Electric Trainer (For @Ace)
Spoiler:

2* Beauty's Arbok
Spoiler:

3* Palutena as of 2017
Spoiler:

4* My Monster
Spoiler:

5* Bo Staff This was an Art-Trade
Spoiler:

6* Prize-Winning Vash-Kirby
Spoiler:

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
First off, wanted to say that this is easily one of my favorite pieces out of them all. Something about it gives off a horror vibe, but doesn't delve so much into just pointless gore. Stuff like that is hard to come by!

For critique, I noticed that much of your human anatomy in the upper torso tends to scrunch up, leading to somewhat awkward poses.

For example, a lot of your pieces have their shoulder abnormally high, sort of like they're in the middle of giving a shrug. This is evident in your Palutena and Bo Staff pictures. I don't know if this is what you intended as a pose, but to me personally it doesn't really work well with some of them.

Another thing you could work on is forshortening, since your use of it in these pieces don't give me the sense of depth you might have wanted. Examples would be the Beauty's head tilt, which gives her face more of a flattened plane, and the Bo Staff picture's arms, whose forearms should have been larger, not smaller, than her upper arm.

Besides those, I think these pieces were very well done!

Years
Hey, thanks for giving your time and piece-of-mind on this. ^~^ It always helps to get an outsider opinion on stuff. Hope you don't mind if I respond to some specific parts of your comment.

...For critique, I noticed that much of your human anatomy in the upper torso tends to scrunch up, leading to somewhat awkward poses.
I think I see what you mean. Seems most of the featured characters here have a light 'C' curve with their chests, bending them up.

For example, a lot of your pieces have their shoulder abnormally high, sort of like they're in the middle of giving a shrug. This is evident in your Palutena and Bo Staff pictures. ...
I personally can't see how I'd do Palutena different if I had to do it over again, but that's just me speaking. Shoulders have been
a flaky part in my portfolio - hit-or-miss, it's been a flip of the coin. Your observation is most helpful.

Another thing you could work on is forshortening, since your use of it in these pieces don't give me the sense of depth you might have wanted. Examples would be the Beauty's head tilt, which gives her face more of a flattened plane...
Ooooh... Forshortening. That's a boss of a subject. ^~^ Been grappling that one for awhile now. I'll gnaw at it a little harder.

Back