• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen V OU] GyaraVire. Wut?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
  • << Introduction >>

So, hi. ;-; Recently the competitive battling scene has been a bit weird for me, I've been quitting then starting again etc, but now I think I'm staying. C: Anyway; I don't wanna ramble. have nothing more to add so let's get one with it.

<< Team-Building process >>

Spoiler:

<< In-Depth look >>

205.png

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Gyro Ball
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Spikes

Forretress is an amazing Pokemon regardless of him being dead weight. . Laying down my Toxic Spikes and Spikes and spinning away opposing hazards. Once that's all done, there's really nothing Forretress does; so I just Gyro Ball until they die or they kill me. He may be dead weight but he does the job he was made to do. With amazing defenses to boot he can come in on an Outrage and set-up, then simply Gyro Ball the more than likely frail dragon and hopefully get a KO.

480.png

Uxie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Thunder Wave
    - Stealth Rock
    - Heal Bell

I used Uxie on a previous UU team and it worked, ok-ish. I wasn't too thrilled with how it worked out, but for some reason it works a lot better in OU. Its base 135 Defense can take a beating and then set-up/spread status' Thunder Wave lets me cripple Haxorus, Hydreigon, Salamence, Latios, Reuniclus etc. Heal Bell lets me rid my team of nasty status effects that cripple them. (They were a big problem before)

130.png

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 184 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Taunt
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge

Bulky DD Gyarados is definitely a favourite of mine. I come in an opponent that's either locked into Outrage, they'll suffer a nice -1 in attack or something that can't harm me. DD until I need to, and then unleash my fury. Taunt handles Ferrothorn who come in and try to set-up, well any Pokemon that tries to set-up. Stone Edge takes care of everything that resists Water (Except Ferrothorn) Stone Edge also lets me take a hit at Rotom-W, depending on my raised stats. If not I'll just switch.

466.png

Electivire (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Motor Drive
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch
    - Cross Chop
    - Wild Charge

Electivire is so awesome <3 Coming in on an Electric attack aimed at Gyarados and then netting that +1 in speed is nice. This was originally a Choice set which worked amazing, but then it started to be a let down, so I switched to a Life Orb, which works better. Earthquake deals with other Electric-types, as well as Steel types. Ice Punch takes care of Dragon, Grass and Ground-types, Cross Chop deals with Ferrothorn, Blissey and Chansey whilst Wild Charge is my major STAB that deals with Water/Flying types.

381.png

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf

My main special offense; Latios hits hard and fast. Life Orb increases my all ready brutal power to new levels. Psyshock takes care of Special walls and Fighting-types. Draco Meteor is my main STAB that destroy's anything bar Blissey/Chansey/Ferrothorn. Hp Fire deals with Scizor, Forretress, Ferrothorn/Steel types whilst Surf hits Heatran. Latios can also take a Hp Ice from a LO Thundurus and OHKO back.

640.png

Virizion @ Leftovers
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Calm Mind
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Giga Drain
    - Close Combat

Not the most used set out there, but it works, great. Calm Mind raises my special stats so I can sweep with ease, whilst Close Combat takes care of Blissey who try to switch in, I also chose CC over Focus Blast because of the accuracy, and of course, Special walls, mainly the ones already mentioned. Giga Drain keeps my nice and healthy whilst Hp Ice takes care of Dragon-types. My already pathetic defense is lowered by my nature which makes priority a bit of a problem. However, it can survive a Life Orb Ice Shard from Mamoswine and a Bullet Punch from Scizor.

<< Closing Words >>

This team has been doing well, I'll admit. However, there's something I think it lacks which I can't put my finger on. So, I'm hoping you guys can help me! :3

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Does Vire OHKO standard Rotom-W and/or Ferrothorn? I think there would be a lot more viability to this team if Vire could simply mash the checks for all of your other mons but I'm really not sure how strong it is and in general it seems like your team is just a thrown-together group of stuff again. Nothing really handles each other's counters etc, (like, nothing switches into Ferrothorn well and it stops half of your team, easy).

Back