• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Non-battling Pokémon

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
  • I've been speculating recently about the notion of non-battling Pokémon (i.e., passive/elusive Pokémon).

Consider: Generally speaking, it can be said that the intrinsic nature of most Pokémon drives them to battle. Comparisons some have made between Pokémon battles and cruel, violent bloodsports such as dog fights are essentially absurd, due to the fact that Pokémon, in general, have near-human intelligence, emotions, and passions. Pokémon are, in general, not forced to battle (and those rare instances in which they are, are typically derided as cruel), they battle of their own free will, in cooperation with their trainer. Pokémon, being intelligent creatures, know that it is training through cooperation with humans that they can become stronger, and become more proficient at battling, which is, generally speaking, their fundamental instinct/passion. Wild Pokémon are very common to encounter by humans, since they fundamentally desire to battle. However....

Speculation: What if there are Pokémon species which are not documented by humans, because they are of a different instinctive drive than known Pokémon? In other words, what if the known, documented species of Pokémon are merely the Pokémon species which desire to battle, while perhaps there are non-battling Pokémon which avoid humans, and for which it would be cruel to capture or force into battle? There could theoretically be hundreds of unknown Pokémon, undocumented because they either actively avoid humans, or which have been deliberately left unlisted in indices (such as the Pokédex), since they do not associate or cooperate with humans.

Aside: Also consider the fact that several Pokédex entries indicate that the Pokémon world contains non-Pokémon animal species (such as Indian elephants referenced in one of Gastly's Pokédex entries), yet they are never encountered in the games, and only fleetingly in the anime and manga. Non-Pokémon seem not to ever be captured in the way that Pokémon are: I suggest this is because in the world of Pokémon, it is considered cruel to capture and battle with animals, whereas Pokémon are generally regarded as being willing and accepting of battle and capture. Why could there not be certain species of Pokémon which are similar, which are not encountered, and which are never captured or battle?

This is simply a theory, mind you, and almost certainly non-canon; however I think speculation in this direction is valuable. I think the world of Pokémon is far richer and larger than what is presented in the games, anime, manga, etc., or even what is known or presented by the creators. And much of that richness is, I think, speculation. Of course it's unlikely we would ever see these hypothetical non-battling Pokémon in canon (since the Pokémon series' essential themes are "gotta catch 'em all" and "I wanna be the very best", what would be the purpose of the creators including non-capturable, non-battling Pokémon?), but it's fun to speculate that there may be more Pokémon than we know (or will ever know), and thus that the world of Pokémon in general is richer and more expansive than what we are presented with.

Anyway, thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    I think there are a lot of canonical Pokemon that don't seem comfortable with battling; I can't imagine, say, Caterpie having the predatory instinct that makes it want to fight other creatures.

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
    Years
  • I think there are a lot of canonical Pokemon that don't seem comfortable with battling; I can't imagine, say, Caterpie having the predatory instinct that makes it want to fight other creatures.

I do acknowledge there are exceptions to the general rule. For instance, one of my absolute favorite Pokémon, Abra, is notorious for wanting to avoid humans. However, once captured, an Abra will still cooperate willingly with its trainer, and battle of its own free will. That's the main distinction I'm referring to: all known Pokémon are at least battling willingly, rather than inhumanely and against their will.

Back