• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Need help for Pokemon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2012
    I'm going to enter the 2012 UK Championships, and I would like some help on selecting my team.
    So far I have Tyranitar, Jeliccent, Reshiram, Archeops, Serperior and Elektross.
    If anyone can tell me what moves, strategies, or changes in general, please reply.

Thanks ^^

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Well mate, first you're going to have to forget about Reshiram and take another look at the official rules to make sure you're not thinking of doing anything else not allowed at the tournament.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Well, seeing as you have Tyranitar, I'd make the focus of your team a Sandstorm team. Like 100 said, Reshiram is banned, so just take him out completely. As far as I'm aware, Garchomp isn't banned in official tournaments so if you want another Dragon type, Garchomp is a viable option. However, I'm not sure if Garchomp is legal in VGC. In any case, an ideal set for Garchomp is:

@Yache/Haban Berry
    Ability: Sand Veil
    Jolly (+Spe, -SAtk)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Swords Dance
    - Outrage
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

Outrage and Earthquake give it great STAB attacks, with 180 and 150 base power each. Stone Edge is also useful for hitting things on predicted switches. Garchomp already has naturally great speed, and after just one Swords Dance, it can hit an unbelievable attack of 718.

Also, I'd drop Archeops. While it's initial attack and speed may be attractive, its ability hinders it greatly. If you want another Pokemon with a 140 Attack stat, try Conkeldurr:

@Flame Orb
    Ability: Guts
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
    - Mach Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Rock Slide
    - Payback

With flame orb burning Conkeldurr from the start, you can activate Guts, which negates Burn's halve in attack, instead increasing Conkeldurr's already amazing Attack by 50%. Drain Punch will allow you to heal of damage from the burn, at the same time damaging your opponent. Rock Slide for flying types, etc. Mach Punch to quickly kill off fast threats, and Payback lets you hit Ghosts would attempt to absorb your fighting type moves.

I'd also drop Serperior, as it has generally low attacking prowess. Instead, I'd used Excadrill:

@Life Orb/Chople Berry
    Ability: Sand Rush
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
    EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - X-Scissor
    - Protect

Sand Rush doubles Excadrill's speed in sandstorms, which Tyranitar will be providing. Life Orb gives you 30% more power in attack at the cost of 10% HP everytime you hit the opponent. Chople berry reduces the power of fighting moves, which Excadrill is weak to. Earthquake comes off at 150 base power after STAB. That's not even mentioning Excadrill's hypothetical attack stat of 205. Rockslide for flying types, X-Scissor for Psychic and Grass. Protect to let sandstorm slowly chip away at your opponent's health.

I'd type more but uh.. Super Bowl soon :P
    p.s. Wrong forum ;)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    WHAT XEL SAID! If you do want to make threads like this in the future see the Competitive Battling Center forum. READ THE RULES AND WHATNOT!

Closed

PS - JSYK IT'S PRETTY HARD CLOSING A THREAD WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO WATCH THE SUPERBOWL COMMERCIALS HAHAHAHA OK

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back