• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Tutorials: Scripting (In HD Video Form!)

Katie Skyye

Rubberbandanagramaticalen dar
Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2010
Ergh...

I would rather use XSE since everyone says it's better, but I'd be willing to use Pokéscript for the purpose of learning this...

...but I am unable to find it. Is it possible to post a link to a download on this forum? If that's not allowed, sorry for asking, but I'm sort of stuck without that program.

So, I figure it would be easier for you to send a link than to make another tutorial about XSE, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Also, you sound exactly like a kid in my class...it's very encouraging. ;D

Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2009
i'm having trouble with an oak-like script.
the game just freezes when i reach the script.

RainDogg54

Crown of Love
Years
Thanks these videos have really have helped me with my hack! But I'm having trouble making a script that gives the player running shoes. Can someone teach me how? I tried giveitem 0x82F 0x01 but I don't think that's how your supposed to do it.. :\ I'm a newbie at scripting obviously

saison

Black Knight of Dusk
Years
Okay, so I'm doing a battle script and everything will work fine, the text before you fight, the battle, and the text once you win. Everything will work until I try to talk to the event again after the battle. It will do something different everytime, whether it be lock the player and have a palette screwup or having weird random text appear in the text box.
Code:
#org $script
lock
faceplayer
trainerbattle 0x00 0x01 $see $win
$see 1 = Can you defeat the creator?
$win 1 = Good thing these aren't my Pokemon!
message $after
$after 1 = We'll meet again.
boxset 6
release
end
I'd really appreciate if somebody could help troubleshoot my problem :)

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
Years
hmm so im watching tutorial five, and i was wondering how i could make an event similar to the oak stopping you when you try to leave town, and then he talks to you... i want to walk out the front door of the house and have a character walk up to you and ask you to help find something, then once u find that item the character walks up to you again and takes the item, and tells you something else...i get all the scripting and movement parts, but how do i make a script activate as soon as i step on a certain tile?

saison

Black Knight of Dusk
Years
Okay, I put in a script into the ROM that didn't even work (seeing if I could make a script from nothing, I missed some spacing, that's it) and then for some reason my battle script started to work after the battle o.O

Thanks for putting up these vids :D I'll make sure to reference 'em to people.

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years
Ergh...

I would rather use XSE since everyone says it's better, but I'd be willing to use Pokéscript for the purpose of learning this...

...but I am unable to find it. Is it possible to post a link to a download on this forum? If that's not allowed, sorry for asking, but I'm sort of stuck without that program.

So, I figure it would be easier for you to send a link than to make another tutorial about XSE, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Also, you sound exactly like a kid in my class...it's very encouraging. ;D
There is a link in the description of the video of lesson 1 on youtube.
Thanks these videos have really have helped me with my hack! But I'm having trouble making a script that gives the player running shoes. Can someone teach me how? I tried giveitem 0x82F 0x01 but I don't think that's how your supposed to do it.. :\ I'm a newbie at scripting obviously
Oooh, so close. Use setflag 0x82F.
hmm so im watching tutorial five, and i was wondering how i could make an event similar to the oak stopping you when you try to leave town, and then he talks to you... i want to walk out the front door of the house and have a character walk up to you and ask you to help find something, then once u find that item the character walks up to you again and takes the item, and tells you something else...i get all the scripting and movement parts, but how do i make a script activate as soon as i step on a certain tile?
You would need to use the green "script" boxes in advance map. I'll cover that in the lesson 6 follow up eventually.
Hey, lesson 6 is deleted! Why?

I don't know why it was, but I reuploaded it. I'll fix the link now.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2009
Maybe you can also include commands on how to insert the player name, rival name and alot of other /v/h01 etc.... stuff =D I think that would be useful, since I like this way of scripting more then the XSE way :P

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
Years
You would need to use the green "script" boxes in advance map. I'll cover that in the lesson 6 follow up eventually.

ah lol i figured that out :P, now i just need it so that when i talk to her again she either responds that i still need to find it, or that after i found it she just talks normally to me(im guessing i set a seperate script for that to the actual character of her, with a checkflag to see if ive turned in the item already or not), although that makes it a bit confusing cuz then that means i have to make the script for finding the item and turning it in, thennn making the script on how she responds to whether you have found it or not

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
Do you realize how much you have helped me?
Thanks so much i really appreciate this.
Seriously i can't thank you enough. :D

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
Years
hmm i think i know how to do it right but what if i wanted to do more than one script on a person, i dont know what order i would put everything

like first if you didnt find it already she would tell you where she last saw her pokedoll, then if you found it you give it to her and she says ur grandpa is looking for you, then anytime after that she just says thanks for helping her find the pokedoll... i cant figure out in which order everything would go though =[

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Thanks, I can finally script now! How do I script pokemon trades ingame?

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years
hmm i think i know how to do it right but what if i wanted to do more than one script on a person, i dont know what order i would put everything

like first if you didnt find it already she would tell you where she last saw her pokedoll, then if you found it you give it to her and she says ur grandpa is looking for you, then anytime after that she just says thanks for helping her find the pokedoll... i cant figure out in which order everything would go though =[

This should do it. Just make sure that grandpa sets flag 0x1201 somewhere in his script or she'll never stop telling you that he's looking for you.
Code:
#org $go
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x1201
if 0x01 goto $done
checkflag 0x1200
if 0x01 goto $gpa
checkitem 0x50 1
compare 0x800D 0x0001
if 1 goto $have
message $talk
$talk 1 = I don't know where my DOLL is\hb0
boxset 6
release
end

#org $have
message $wow
$wow 1 = Holy crud you found it?! Thanks!\pBy the way\hb0
boxset 6
setflag 0x1200
goto $gpa

#org $gpa
message $g
$g 1 = Your grandpa is looking for you.
boxset 6
release
end

#org $done
message $so
$so 1 = So what's up?
boxset 6
release
end
Thanks, I can finally script now! How do I script pokemon trades ingame?

I never learned how to do that. What I would do, is use a script that already exists in the game, but go in via hex and just change the pokemon that are being traded, and the text, of course!

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
Years
This should do it. Just make sure that grandpa sets flag 0x1201 somewhere in his script or she'll never stop telling you that he's looking for you.
Code:
#org $go
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x1201
if 0x01 goto $done
checkflag 0x1200
if 0x01 goto $gpa
checkitem 0x50 1
compare 0x800D 0x0001
if 1 goto $have
message $talk
$talk 1 = I don't know where my DOLL is\hb0
boxset 6
release
end

#org $have
message $wow
$wow 1 = Holy crud you found it?! Thanks!\pBy the way\hb0
boxset 6
setflag 0x1200
goto $gpa

#org $gpa
message $g
$g 1 = Your grandpa is looking for you.
boxset 6
release
end

#org $done
message $so
$so 1 = So what's up?
boxset 6
release
end

I never learned how to do that. What I would do, is use a script that already exists in the game, but go in via hex and just change the pokemon that are being traded, and the text, of course!

thank you so much =D, i see that i was fairly close in my script, i just wasnt sure what order the first part should be in

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2010
foullump do you have vista? if so can you right click on the .rbc file and see a "compile script" option? i have vista home basic 32 Bit. GREAT TUTORIAL THOUGHT. on pokescript if you click file --> encode does that mean compile?

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2010
foullump do you have vista? if so can you right click on the .rbc file and see a "compile script" option? i have vista home basic 32 Bit. GREAT TUTORIAL THOUGHT. on pokescript if you click file --> encode does that mean compile?
I have Vista and I'm able to compile script. I wasn't able to a while back though. What I did was download XSE, make a random script, then save it. After that, I went back to my notepad, make my real script, saved it as (insert name here).rbc then I was able to right click and compile script. I'm sure there's a better and proper way to do it though.

CdubFosho

Pokemon Adventure breeder
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 25, 2009
i loved the videos i look forward to more, where did you get the text files that had all the items in the game and all the pokemon in the game?!? thanks :D

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
Years
hmmm you should do a movecamera tutorial maybe, im sure its simple but i havent seen a tutorial for it yet and i would like to know =P

o and on the script u gave me a few posts up, there something wrong with it, when i talk to the girl it doesnt freeze up, but it doesnt even lockplayer or activate the script

Back