• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Graphics or Story?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
How important do you consider graphics to be in a video game? Do you play games solely based on them, or are the storyline more important to you?

For me, it's gotta be a mixture of both. When I'm playing a game, I'd like it to have a story that is easy for me to be sucked into, and it also must provide me with a not-so-bad graphics quality. If it has amazing graphics but the storyline lacks creativity (or the other way around), then I may still play the game, but I'm not exactly sure how long I'll be able to truly enjoy it.

One game that I have played recently that had good set of graphics as well as a good storyline is Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. The art style of this game was bright, colorful, and extremely original. As for the story... well, the story made you feel as if you were actually a part of the game, and not just someone who viewed all the occurrences from the outside. xD

Bidoof Overlord

All hail Raticate
Years
Well, I can't really complain since I don't have any consoles and a very bad PC. Hence, all I do is play emulated games on my PC.
I thought Zelda Ocarina of Time in N64 was great. All of the classic N64 games were amazing. I refrain myself from playing high-graphics games so that I don't turn into someone who waits for better graphics to come out.
Pokemon is an excellent example of what I play. Not the Fifth Gen, but everything before that. I even played Gen I several times. Thing is, graphics don't matter to me.
If the characters are cool, I like it. If the story is captivating, I like it. If graphics are good in both cases, I simply adore the game.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
I always find this to be a rather difficult question. Generally, I need to have some eye pleasing graphics to play a game. To some extent, I'm a rather big graphics-*****. Of course, with that comes the idea that there's different styles I like, some more simplistic than others and then some really awesome detailed stuff.

At the same time though, if the story and/or the gameplay is crappy, then even with some good graphics, the game will be severely lacking in the fun department. It might not make it completely unplayable to me, but it definitely won't be nearly as enjoyable.

So ultimately it's a good mix of all things. It's why I tend to stick to things I find interesting or I know I'll like without a doubt.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
I think both are important, although I like the modern 8-bit Art Style used nowadays great too.
Gameplay isn't something you can innovate, but you can still enhance it by choosing the right features and Design.
Story is neither something you can innovate, because in the end, every game with a story is a Revenge Story, or has elements of it.

But indeed, I must agree with Bidoof Overlord, the power of the N64 was more than enough, I usually can't understand why we have to play games in 4k HD, in order to call it a good game, while I find N64 games way better than anything coming out for PS4 and Xbox One, these days.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I can live with the lack of a story line or even a bad one unless the game is designed around it.

But I will not tolerate bad graphics. I'd be fine if the game was at least visually inoffensive, but art style is still very important to me.

while I find N64 games way better than anything coming out for PS4 and Xbox One, these days.
Whoa, you have a PS4 and Xbox One? Damn, how did you get them early?

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
I don't have these Consoles, but I do follow up with the Media nowadays, even though the PS4 is coming out next month, while the Xbox One is coming out somewhere next year.
I can see what's coming to these Consoles.

TY

I prefer a good story over graphics, but if the graphics are really crap for its time i dont like playing it either, so i think im kinda like both

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I much prefer a good story than graphics. I hate the fact that the graphics could be amazing, but the story is far from reasonable. A good story pulls me in to a game most of the time.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Perdition Haze said:
How important do you consider graphics to be in a video game? Do you play games solely based on them, or are the storyline more important to you?

They are very important but they are, however, not the sole purpose of my buying of games. For example. I've been playing the hell out of Marvel Ultimate Alliance for XB360. (Which, in case you were skeptical, has virtually same graphics as the PS2, PC and XB ports) Just shinier.

Anyway, the point is, that it's a testament that I care about story and graphics equally.

Some games I'll put aside their graphics and enjoy the story. (Final Fantasy VII)

Some games I'll put aside their story and enjoy the graphics. (Call of Duty)

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
I can't stand people that only care about graphics. I as well as most people, expect games to have graphics that are good for the time. The only time I feel different is when games are intended to have retro graphics such as Minecraft, which is an awesome game that shouldn't change the way it looks. The thing I don't like is when a game with the most advance graphics engine is released and people expect every game after that to have the same or better graphics. These same people tend to lose all interest in any previous games because now they don't look like the best thing they've ever seen. How can a game you love, not be fun anymore just because newer graphics have been invented? Like I said I expect a game to have good graphics for the time, but as long as the characters have human like facial features and the textures don't look like a cartoon, the game will look great to me. I'm not ignorant to the fact that they aren't the best graphics, but just because it doesn't look like a picture of real life I can still fully enjoy it. The story and gameplay are the most important part about a video game and if they are good then the game will be fun.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I agree, koff~

There are just some games that shouldn't be played more than once, even though their graphical prowess is spectacular to behold. I still enjoy Galaga and space invaders to this day! 1942, Rally, Hamburger time was fun, Missile command, Mario, etc. Some pretty poor graphics, but it's hard to put them down when playing them. Metroid is always a great side scroller. My favorite game with perhaps no story and 'sub-par' graphics (for now) is Metal Slug. It's a 90's game, but the graphics can hardly be considered the best on the market right now; regardless of the story and the lack of character development, Metal Slug brings to the table one of the best 2-D side scrolling shoot 'em ups I've ever played!

I nearly drove myself out of my mind trying to iterate this point to someone (who's on PC) who clearly chooses graphics over gameplay. Those people are not gamers in my eyes. These are awful people who curse us by populating the market with poor games, koffi~

Nakala Pri

Story for the win. A game can have fancy graphics and breath-taking scenery. But in the end, a beautiful, touching and hard-warming story is what really makes a game. But those gaming companies have forgotten, they have forgotten that a game doesn't have to have impressive graphics but a gorgeous story-line. And if they made both, well, congrats to them! ^^

Are you lost without me? Are you better off dead? Keep it all at the back my head. :3

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I'd rather have a story. It keeps me playing and interested. If the story sucked, I probably wouldn't want to play it, regardless of whether or not it had good graphics.

I would rather play an ugly game with a great story. :P But of course, good graphics AND a good story just takes the cake! <3

Back