• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Republican wants to make it illegal to introduce new laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Prohibition is unconstitutional.

Thats what amendments are though - Changes to the constution that would otherwise be unconstitutional.

Prohibition was legal when the constution was amended to allow for it. It was made illegal when that amendment was repealed.

Years
Don't know about shocking comments, but there are Democrats who are against abortion. Three of them right now in the Senate, four in the House, and over 100 across various state and local offices.

Both sides are stupid. One my favourite out-of-context sound-bites from the last campaign was "the good news is our emissions are way down because of the recession" from Claire McCaskill (who also thankfully beat Todd Akin in that race)

This:

Show me all the Democrats saying that women who are raped should be forced to carry the rapist's child.

[The point of reference]

Is totally different from this:

Don't know about shocking comments, but there are Democrats who are against abortion.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
This:

Is totally different from this:
Not really. Are you against the position or just someone voicing the position?

If one of those Democrats believes that abortion shouldn't ever be an option, even in the case of rape - which is what I was responding to, then what's the difference? It only counts if you verbalize it?

Years
Not really. Are you against the position or just someone voicing the position?

If one of those Democrats believes that abortion shouldn't ever be an option, even in the case of rape - which is what I was responding to, then what's the difference? It only counts if you verbalize it?

You can be against abortion for a multitude of reasons, I suppose. Some arguments against are more valid than others. Saying that if a woman is raped & gets pregnant, she should be forced to carry the baby because it is God's intention is vastly different and is not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination. That is the rationale used by Rick Santorum, Todd Akin, Richard Mourdoch, etc.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Well that was pretty obnoxious. I am kind of offended by your statement. I support the Republicans, mainly because I've become disillusioned with the Democrats. I identify with the center-right. The people you're thinking of are the far-right. Both are represented in the party, though I have to admit that the far-right is more vocal. It's kind of like how people wrongly associate the term feminist with bra burners, misandrists, and people who want to spell woman as "womyn", even though only a minority of feminists are like that.

Personally, I think there is too much anti-Republican stuff in the News section. There's good and bad Republicans, good and bad Democrats, and good and bad people from those minor parties that never get a lot of votes.

I think the title of the thread is much more offensive than what I said. Anyone who hears about a guy who wants to pass a bill that forbids creating new laws is going to say the guy is stupid, irrespective of political identity. (and the thread title is misleading)

I personally believe there are no good guys in politics. I do believe, however, that there are bad guys. In my view most of them happen to be right-wing. Also note that there's no true far-left in the USA. Democrats are center at the most, maybe very mild leftists, and everything else is right-wing in varying degrees. Americans killed their left-wing parties in the fifties.

BlazingLink

Sergeant Serious
Years
I mean, the Democrats are trying to get rid of the Second Amendment, so first is fair game, right?

As a Republican, I feel like none of the first 10 amendments should be messed with, and I follow what the purpose of that law is, but to actually have to do it is sad.

Just as a note to the thread maker, that title is extremely biased, and doesn't represent the actual topic.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I mean, the Democrats are trying to get rid of the Second Amendment, so first is fair game, right?

As a Republican, I feel like none of the first 10 amendments should be messed with, and I follow what the purpose of that law is, but to actually have to do it is sad.

Just as a note to the thread maker, that title is extremely biased, and doesn't represent the actual topic.

It depends, in law the suppression of a rule must be the last interpretative rule to be taken. So the Second Amendment can stay, but with a new interpretation.

What happens (and I hope I don't get any flack for it) is that the Republicans take the rule to the letter, believing they're living in the days of the Independence. Back then, there was no police force, so a militia consisting of common people was the only way to ensure basic safety. Nowadays, however, you have an organized and well-regulated militia taking care of safety: it's called the police. The allowance of gun ownership by regular citizens in the US actually violates the Second Amendment, because in no way are all the citizens who own guns organized, their primary goal is not communal safety but self-defense instead, and the bulk of citizens who own guns in the US cannot be defined as a "well-regulated militia", because the rules on guns apply to gun ownership, not to the definition of the American citizens as an organized and regulated group, since the group is not uniform and not recognized as some form of militia.

Years
Livewire said:
Be Objective & Balanced
When making threads in Other Chat & Discussions, you should be making threads with the intent of creating a nice, broad, and long discussion. Basically, you want to make successful and intelligent threads. Use facts, sources and scholarly material when making a discussion where that would be appropriate (In example, use crime rates in threads about crime, Carbon Dioxide Emission figures in a thread about climate change, etc) Given that OC&D deals heavily in politics, DO NOT post politically charged threads solely designed to bash or to defame another political entity. OC&D is not a landfill for your hyper-partisan political views. Keep that to your blog, or more preferably, keep it to yourself.

The American Politics Thread
Politics go here. Happy Posting!

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back