• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Pokecrystal Help with Default Options

Major Agnostic

Pokemon Crystal Ultimate Developer
Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Greetings, I'm currently working on a balancing/difficulty hack using the pokecrystal disassembly and am having a hard time figuring out how to add entries to data/default_options.asm to make it so the game defaults to Stereo sound and Set battle style. I had no trouble setting fast text and menu account off since I just modified what was already in the asm, but idk how to actually add the code to toggle Stereo and Set.

I don't know anything at all about coding and this is the last addition I want to make to my hack atm (not counting modifying basic data), but I haven't had much success after hours of trial and error. I asked for help twice in the pret discord and don't want to keep pestering the same people. They mentioned that I have to add the options for battle style and sound to the preexisting bitwise field (using "bitwise-or"?) for wOptions (which includes the fast text that I have already modified), but I have no clue how to do this and have tried tons of stuff, studying the options_menu.asm and wram_constants.asm files to no avail.

DefaultOptions:
    ; wOptions: fast text speed
    db TEXT_DELAY_FAST
    ; wSaveFileExists: no
    db FALSE
    ; wTextboxFrame: frame 1
    db FRAME_1
    ; wTextboxFlags: use text speed
    db 1 << FAST_TEXT_DELAY_F
    ; wGBPrinterBrightness: normal
    db GBPRINTER_NORMAL
    ; wOptions2: menu account off
    db 0 << MENU_ACCOUNT

db $00;
    db $00

That is the entire file. It seems as though I should be adding something below "db TEXT_DELAY_FAST", like "db Stereo", but I don't know the formatting or if there are special terms/symbols I should use.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Major Agnostic

Pokemon Crystal Ultimate Developer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    I figured out how to fix this way back, but if anyone is curious about the fix, let me know!

Years
  • I know this is old, I'm sorry, but I'm interested in this! Found this thread (and the forum btw!..) on Google because of it. I'd like to change the defaults to Set mode and Off battle scene (animations).
    I was thinking I needed to change something in the "engine/menus/options_menu" file, no?
    I tried tinkering with the .ToggleOn/Off and .ToggleShift/Set options but to no avail... also tried to include these options in the default_options file as you said using like "1 << BATTLE_SCENE" for example (since, as far as I understand, 1 here means off, for both Battle Scene and Battle Style), also fail...
    Thanks in advance!

Years
    • Seen today
    I know this is old, I'm sorry, but I'm interested in this! Found this thread (and the forum btw!..) on Google because of it. I'd like to change the defaults to Set mode and Off battle scene (animations).
    I was thinking I needed to change something in the "engine/menus/options_menu" file, no?
    I tried tinkering with the .ToggleOn/Off and .ToggleShift/Set options but to no avail... also tried to include these options in the default_options file as you said using like "1 << BATTLE_SCENE" for example (since, as far as I understand, 1 here means off, for both Battle Scene and Battle Style), also fail...
    Thanks in advance!

Like Major Agnostic said, you should bitwise-or the options to wOptions (the first byte in default options). You can do it like this:
    Code:
    DefaultOptions:
    ; wOptions: med text speed
            db TEXT_DELAY_MED | (1 << BATTLE_SHIFT) | (1 << BATTLE_SCENE)

Back