• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Type Chart Program

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Hello people.

Lately I've been working on a Pokemon fan game of mine and realized that the current Pokemon games have a pretty serious type imbalance. (Just combine Dark/Ghost or Steel/Anything and you'll see what I mean) While trying to make things somewhat more fair, I noticed that in order to test the type changes I would have to literally calculate every possible type combination to ensure that was I did wasn't breaking something somewhere else in the type charts.

As you may expect, this could take a long time to do if I had to do it every time I made a change.

So instead I've written a program that lets the user edit and add/delete types, and then view all of the possible combinations of types and their strengths and weaknesses. Basically, it's like a modifiable version of the type chart on serebii.net, which you can either use for the real Pokemon games (I've programmed it with all of the current type strengths/weaknesses as defaults) or edit for your own games. You can save your new type charts too, and they can be copied from the program into Microsoft Excel or Word or whatever if you are so inclined. Here's a few screenshots:

As you may note, the type you select to edit (in the right window) is not the same as the type(s) you select in the spreadsheet. This is so that you can copy or highlight things in the basic type chart without changing what you're working on.

If people spot any bugs or anything please let me know, I'll update the program accordingly when I have a chance. On that note, I'm not 100% certain that I got the type strengths/weaknesses right (I was pretty tired when I added them), so let me know if you see anything incorrect in the defaults.

Anyway, you can download the program from here for now, it's designed for a Windows OS. If people have issues running it, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that I missed Steel vs Rock (should be x2, but is x0.5 instead). Until I can find the source and update it, make sure that you manually edit that value if you use the type chart program and want the correct matchups. To do so, click "Steel" in the right hand column, then select "Rock" as the "vs type" and change "Damage Dealt" value to x2 from x0.5.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2023
    Duuude, this is sweet! A great program if your thinking of adding a new type to your game, or if you just want to mess around with the weaknesses of other types lol.
    I'm pretty sure you got the strengths/weaknesses right, if not we both missed it lol

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2013
    Ah, I'm glad you like it. I'm just posting this comment as an update, because I've switched the files to run on .NET 2.0 instead of 4.0. For the non-Windows-programming-savvy, this means that it should be automatically compatible with most versions of Windows, meaning you won't have to install anything to run it.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Wow, this will be handy for some one like myself who has been working hard on adjusting the rather broken type match-ups myself. Looks really good.

Back