• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pope Benedict XVI to resign February 28th

Years
From that short-list, I think changing views on contraception would be more likely than gay marriage. They already encourage "family planning", which would imply that "good Catholic people" don't always get it on just to have a child. So, contraception would just facilitate that I think. Plus, the number of people who identify themselves as Catholics and don't use contraceptives is probably really quite small.

But, I still don't see it happening XD
The contraception thing is more of an issue in places like Sub-Saharan Africa where AIDS runs rampant. The Catholic Church could be a force of good if it would encourage people to use contraception, but they haven't because it runs afoul of their "for reproduction only" stance. Sure, they'll condemn sex outside of marriage, and that's part of the AIDS problem, but it's not really helpful in addressing practical solutions.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
The contraception thing is more of an issue in places like Sub-Saharan Africa where AIDS runs rampant. The Catholic Church could be a force of good if it would encourage people to use contraception, but they haven't because it runs afoul of their "for reproduction only" stance. Sure, they'll condemn sex outside of marriage, and that's part of the AIDS problem, but it's not really helpful in addressing practical solutions.
I understand the greater context. But around that family dynamic is probably how they would justify if they were to change, I think

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Not really suprised - When you choose someone this old, ofc he isn't going to be on the job that long.

Also, this.

Spoiler:

Years

This here is the real travesty. The church would be perfect for the job too - the resources, the manpower, the networking and logistical ability. But instead they turn a blind eye to suffering and instead focus on getting priests out of 'trouble' elsewhere.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2013
I know there's not really lot of religious people here, but I wonder what other people's thoughts on this news is.

Bye Pope, not really saddened by this because religion is linked to oppression and i think the pope is an even bigger Oppressor.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I know there's not really lot of religious people here, but I wonder what other people's thoughts on this news is.

Bye Pope, not really saddened by this because religion is linked to oppression and i think the pope is an even bigger Oppressor.
Damn those oppressive charities that give food to poor people or help educate children in Africa.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2013
Damn those oppressive charities that give food to poor people or help educate children in Africa.
Sure they do those things, but how many of them actually care? how many aren't just doing it so they don't get ostrasized by the community? And what about the fact that you have to oppress your own desires just to conform and make some religion and religious figure happy meanwhile you are dying on the inside?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Sure they do those things, but how many of them actually care? how many aren't just doing it so they don't get ostrasized by the community?
O_o What are you talking about?

And what about the fact that you have to oppress your own desires just to conform and make some religion and religious figure happy meanwhile you are dying on the inside?
Again.

Honestly, on both your points... if they don't want do it whatever it is they're doing then they should leave or they shouldn't have signed up in the first place. Nobody's forced to do anything. You don't wake up one day and find out someone decided you're a priest now and you can now longer have fun. They came to that decision on their own, voluntarily. You also go to school for years on the theology and the priesthood. I think they're fully aware of what they're getting into.

I had a relative who was a priest. He truly loved what he did.

There are indeed problems with the Church and I hope there's one day some change in their law (change in doctrine, not happening). But I don't see them as an oppressive force or impeding human rights like another poster did (although, I suppose you could extrapolate that one a bit into a cause and effect scenario onto the AIDS crisis in Africa, for instance). But, largely a force of good in needed of some repair and updating to increase their relevancy in the West.

Years
So the Pope might have resigned because of a secret gay network and gay prelates (which I think means right ranking clergymen) being blackmailed.

[article]

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
So the Pope might have resigned because of a secret gay network and gay prelates (which I think means right ranking clergymen) being blackmailed.

[article]
That was a very vague article. I don't understand the blackmail aspect at all. And how does theft enter into it?

Or why this would cause him to step down?

And... this is La Repubblica, they're like the Italian National Enquirer. XD So, I don't really trust them to have some groundbreaking scoop here.

Years
That was a very vague article. I don't understand the blackmail aspect at all. And how does theft enter into it?

Or why this would cause him to step down?

And... this is La Repubblica, they're like the Italian National Enquirer. XD So, I don't really trust them to have some groundbreaking scoop here.
I think the idea is that anyone who knew that there were gay people in the church's higher ranks could extort money from them to keep quiet because the church doesn't want it getting out that there are gays in the church. Presumably, these gay clergymen would only be found out by, you know, "having relations" which is also something the church is against in general. I would guess that money was being taken from the coffers to pay off blackmailers. Or maybe there are other nefarious things the church is doing with its money separate from this. That wouldn't surprise me either.

I think the idea of him stepping down is to give lots of these others a chance to step down, too, and help sweep all of these scandals under the rug. Also it lets him get away before too many more scandals break.

Back