Seen December 12th, 2019
Posted March 19th, 2019
202 posts
2.4 Years
I'm like 90% sure there was some good development about changing pallets on the fly that's right up your alley, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe it was just a really good fever dream ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Let me know if you ever find it!

Also, fair warning to anyone else who tries the solution above, the color change only takes effect on a warp. Map connections only work halfway and everything looks weird. So make sure you set the byte only directly before a warp command or something similar.

EDIT: Also, is there any way to put that RAM into the save block because if you save and quit the sepia doesn't stay. :(
Or at the very least, would this work in a map script?
See below

EDIT 2: Turns out if you set your map script as the first option (setmaptile) and write the offset then it will work and if you want interactive flashbacks then you just put the map script on whatever maps are the flashbacks and its all clean and contained. :)
Binary hacking is dead, do not expect major support from anyone if you are binary hacking. If you are ready to jump ship and switch to decomp you will find that everything you want to do will be 10 times easier, customizable, and maintainable. Happy hacking!

I'm still quite active, just not on Pokecommunity.
You can always DM me at hjk321#1337 via the pret discord.