• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Gender Factor

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Now this particular thread will play on the theory that these games will be based on genetics and chromosomes. So, as you may know, A chromosome is an organized structure of DNA and protein found in cells. It is a single piece of coiled DNA containing many genes. In which these chromosomes can group humans in gender types; male or female. The same sorta goes for pokemon too, as pokemon can generally be male, female, or have no gender at all.

But, if this game does play upon chromosomes and genetics, what can this mean, gender wise, for Pokemon X&Y? Just to give you guys some ideas from theories I read online (which is referenced from various sites):

First off, what if pokemon X and Y had version exclusives that correspond with the gender you pick as the main character, or just between both games in general? There's an interesting theory about this, but, if this would happen, Pokemon X version would probably be geared more towards "feminine" controls and design. For example think back to Black and White. If you chose to play as a female trainer, your C-gear (lower screen) could be changed to have feminine shapes such as a heart, bunny, diamonds, ect. The X game could use something similar, but have the feminine shapes no matter what gender is chosen. What if could also mean that the design of the trainer card and badge case will be more feminine looking as well? However, in turn, what if Pokemon Y version would be geared more towards males? For example, could the buttons and layouts mentioned before would then be more like the squares, triangles and possibly sports related shapes for males?

But what if there was another way to play on the gender faction? For example, from another theory I've read, It is very possible that if the above does not happen they will incorporate the gender difference through the rivals in the game. For Pokemon X, the rival would be a female. She would have certain aspects to her that was very much feminine as well. This meaning she could possibly wear a dress, have all female Pokemon and talk about looking "gorgeous" much of the time. Then in Y version, the rival would be a boy. He would have certain aspects to him that were more masculine such as the presence of muscles, all male Pokemon and talking about being strong, sports fit, brave… etc.

Another interesting theory that relates to gender factors is that the games will have either 4 separate games instead of 3, or like with Black/White have sequels in the form of either Z/W or XX/XY for the chromosomes. Personally I think if they did do sequels the Z and W idea would make more sense. There is such a thing as Z and W chromosomes. The sex chromosome in animals (such as poultry) in which the female is the hetero gametic sex; the male has the ZZ genotype and the female the ZW genotype. Since in a way Pokemon are related or symbolize animals in the Pokemon World, the games could also be respectively named for the chromosome aspect. What would you think of this?

But one last thing; how can this effect pokemon? Could X&Y introduce the idea that pokemon that are normally not a given gender, can have a gender after all? For example, could X&Y create more differences to genderless that would compare them to pokemon that are actually male, and female? Or any other ideas of the sort?

Do you guys have any other ideas or thoughts about possible gender factors? Would you like to see gender-esque exclusives? Maybe any thing else that relates more to gender, in X&Y?

Last edited:

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
Game exlusives being gender-related like you theorise is not something I'd be in favour of, primarily because of the rampant stereotypes. Not in a "wow I'm offended" way but it would just be incredibly dull to have to be either a "ERRMAHGERD PONIES!!!!" girl or a testoreone-mad boy. I prefer to place my own personality on the characters (helped by the fact that they express virtually no personality of their own) and your idea flies in the face of that.

Not a fan of the gender-specific C-Gear thing either, but that wouldn't really impact on me too much. Honestly I've no idea how genders will impact this game but I'd really rather they didn't play a massive role.

Years
I remember reading that Azurill and Marill have different gender ratios and that some will switch gender upon evolving. Something similar could be done here. Perhaps there will be a genderless Pokemon that gains a gender when it evolves, just like how we and other creatures with sexes evolved from things that only reproduced asexually.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years
From my perspective the Pokémon games differentiate between genders way too much already (well, it IS based around Japanese culture after all), so having two games focused around different genders of all things I find to be a really terrible idea. I just can't think of anything big or important they could really implement... well.
Changing how the Pokémon genders (and genderless genders) work does not exactly feel like something worth naming two entire titles after. And needless to say, working with extreme gender stereotypes won't end well. :P
I just can't come up with anything that even hypothetically would work well enough to warrant two games based entirely on gender-specific chromosomes.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
The only idea that I can come up with is to have at least a couple of those new Pokémon, one male, the other female, & have one of them in one game & the other one goes into the other game. The Pokémon in question wouldn't be unlike the Nidorans, but they should be something completely different from them.

Original, I know...

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Ultimately, when I've created this thread, I was thinking about how genderless pokemon can finally have genders in X&Y. I mean, if they experience emotions themselves, what's really stopping them from having genders? Maybe it's because things like... robots technically don't have genders? But still, when I think about Megaman and Roll, megaman is like a male right? And roll is like a female Even though they're "male and female type bots", people are more comfortable referring them as male and female, instead of "it". So, maybe certain magnemites, or beldums, can be like that?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I don't really think that they're going to start assigning things genders that have been gender neutral throughout the games. It would screw around with some breeding mechanics (not in any major way, but they'd have to reconfigure everything and give it an egg group), which would allow new egg moves and stuff to be created. Nothing wrong inherently with the idea, I just don't see it coming to fruition.

Years
Ultimately, when I've created this thread, I was thinking about how genderless pokemon can finally have genders in X&Y. I mean, if they experience emotions themselves, what's really stopping them from having genders? Maybe it's because things like... robots technically don't have genders? But still, when I think about Megaman and Roll, megaman is like a male right? And roll is like a female Even though they're "male and female type bots", people are more comfortable referring them as male and female, instead of "it". So, maybe certain magnemites, or beldums, can be like that?
I just wonder what reason or need for giving genderless Pokemon genders there is, aside from individual preference. I know that in game mechanics it's a little limiting since they can't learn egg moves, but it does make them unique in a way. And, personally, I like the idea that there are a few genderless Pokemon.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2014
There are plenty of "genderless" animals out there, so I don't really think it's necessary. I think it would bring out confusion for stuff like breeding, too. And I prefer the idea that the names are based more on the 3D plane, than genders. It just seems more relevant to me.

Edit: Also, assuming there's a way to do it, what would it mean for Pokemon transferred from other generations? How would you make the decision between what gender it should be? A random gender would seem unnatural, as would assigning it based on IVs.

Back