• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] The 'British-ness' of Sword & Shield

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 16, 2019
    The Galar region is commonly known to be based on the United Kingdom but I've got to say I'm impressed by how much British history and culture seems to have influenced the new games thus far.
    Whether it's having Brit James Turner as Art Director or not the glimpses of the games to date show a remarkable amount of 'British-ness'.

For example…

Landscapes:
    Rolling hills, meadows, fields and lakes are very indicative of the British landscape - and we haven't even seen the highland area of 'Scotland' yet!

Architecture:
    Thatched cottages. half-timbered and brick-built houses in rural areas and red-brick industrial architecture in the cities are all commonly found in Britain today. There are also bridges, viaducts and ancient ruins.

The people:
    All are warmly dressed for the 'British' weather. No T-shirts and shorts in Galar!

The Pokemon:
    Wooloo is described as having fur "...treasured by weavers in a town in the Galar region". Mill towns were a common feature in the north of England in the last century. They used the wool provided by the region's sheep farmers to produce cloth. Will Wooloo provide a similar service?
    Drednaw sounds like 'Dreadnaught', a name used for many Royal Navy fighting ships over the years.
    Corviknight, I think, draws its influence from the famous ravens of the Tower of London who are traditionally believed to protect the Tower and the Royal family. Also, the 'flying taxi' image seen shows a Corviknight perched on the roof of a London Black Cab!
    Zacian and Zamazenta, the Galar legendaries, not only echo Britain's heraldic past but sport red, white and blue markings reminiscent of the Union Jack.

The characters:
    Britain's royalty seems to be evident in a couple of the characters revealed so far.
    Leon, the 'biggest celebrity' in the region, wears a hat that has a 'crown-shaped' motif and wears a 'regal' cloak that looks like those worn by royalty and the nobility on ceremonial occasions.
    Then there's Professor Magnolia. An elderly authority figure? She reminds me of the Queen. There's even Yamper, a Pokemon based on the Queen's favourite dog - the corgi!

Any other Brits out there spot any more influences? I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about the Galar region.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2019
    I kind of hope Professor Magnolia has a pet Yamper now!

They really do seem to be improving since Gen 6 on making each Region feel instantly aesthetically unique. It's one of the things I appreciate most in modern Pokémon games.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    I just hope it's not like Alola, but so far that seems not to be the case which I'm fine with. Kalos kind of had this issue, but it managed to expand the region to more of an interpenetration rather than a 1:1 remake. Alola just felt like Hawaii slapped into the Pokemon worlds, rather than the Pokemon world being inspired by Hawaii. I've never been to Hawaii so it's just my impression I get based off stereotypes etc.. but I wasn't a fan of the region. I'm 100% fine with the region being inspired by the UK with lore and mythology, which seems to be the case thus far

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2019
    There's also the chalk figure on the hillside, which is reminiscent of the White Horse and Cerne Abbas Giant. My favourite British detail so far, though, is the chimneys on the Pokémon Centers! I thought that was a nice touch. There are also some bagpipes in the soundtrack, which you can hear in the latest Pokémon Direct while they're talking about the Wild Area.

Back