• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Clever idea or pipe dream?

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Hi everyone,

I want to finish my binary hack before I move on to my full Decomp hack.

Long story short, I thought I would speed that along by making one change via decomp, use the 'make compare' command to assemble, then compare the data, and copy/paste whatever hex code is different into my binary.

I just need to know if that's even possible or if 'make compare' only makes 100% vanilla pokeemerald.

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi everyone,

I want to finish my binary hack before I move on to my full Decomp hack.

Long story short, I thought I would speed that along by making one change via decomp, use the 'make compare' command to assemble, then compare the data, and copy/paste whatever hex code is different into my binary.

I just need to know if that's even possible or if 'make compare' only makes 100% vanilla pokeemerald.

This will only work if the change you are making doesn't change the rom's size. If the change adds or removes any data, all data after that point gets shifted and all the pointers to that data will get changed, resulting in thousands of changes that you won't be able to easily apply to a binary hack.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Thank you so much for helping me out. Your advice on this thread and the binary one helped me just about crack the code. This has been a great intro to Decomp.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Seriously though, you gave me so much to work with and I'm just some stranger on the internet lol.
    Thank you

Back