• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Glimmering Emerald

paccy

Pokeholic
Years
  • Pokémon Glimmering Emerald

S7rxCuJ.png

[ GITHUB | LATEST ]
    This is a branch of the pokeemerald disassembly was just for my own personal use but as I added more features I thought I may as well share it. It is meant to act as somewhat of a demake of ORAS, with many changes and mechanics added from ORAS (and later) in the way I imagined Game Freak were to implement them on an older game. The story is a mix of Emerald and ORAS with the main exceptions being that there's no Zinnia and, since it's Emerald, it still has both Groudon and Kyogre being awakened.

Features

Built upon pokeemerald-expansion
    Uses pokeemerald-expansion developed by RHH for updated features. The main thing being the battle engine which has Pokémon up to Gen VI (+ regional forms), moves and items. Most other config options are set to Generation VI standards.

Day Night System (Credit: Sierraffinity)
    Uses Sierra's Day Night system to bring night-time to Emerald. There are 4 time periods now; Morning, Day, Evening and Night. Wild encounters can be set depending on the time period but haven't been changed yet. The Pokédex can also show Pokémon locations depending on the time.

Following Pokémon (Credit: merrp)
    Your first member in your party will now follow you!

DexNav (Credit: ghoulslash)
    You can see Pokémon in each area and search them out, don't forget to hold A when sneaking up on them. The DexNav can be accessed from within the PokéNav,

The Pokémon World Tournament
    Pokémon Black and White 2 introduced the Pokémon World tournament which allowed you to compete against the strongest trainer in the world. This hack brings that feature to Emerald and can be found in the Frontier's Battle Dome. Players can also create custom tournaments through the use of custom eReader cards to load up to 8 custom trainers into the game.

Battle Frontier Update
    In addition to the PWT, the Battle Frontier also now includes Pokémon up to Gen VI with movesets from smogon.

Soaring (Credit: camthesaxman)
    Soar upon either Latias and Latios and see Hoenn from above! Also included is the ability to fly to routes as well as towns.

Many More Changes
    Spoiler:

Planned Features

• Soaring encounters
    • Soaring music
    • Update Frontier Pokémon
    • PWT Fixes and Improvements
    • Mass outbreak changes
    • Ways to change forms (eg. Deoxys, Rotom)
    • Fix up followers
    • Do something for legendaries

Screenshots

IgIMScd.png
    tb7CsU8.png
    000icCX.png

LDvLy9u.png
    z39UmrD.png
    haz8F3a.png

ZW0WRjw.png
    tFxO21p.png
    zmrUn7a.png

eeMzD8j.png
    RrBK8XU.png

Downloads

You can download the source code or version patches from here.
    Latest version (v1.1.0)

Changelog
    Spoiler:

If you want a peek of the latest changes you can build the dev branch yourself but do note saves could break.

DLC

I'll be occasionally (hopefully monthly) providing DLC whether it be special Pokémon, event items, or custom trainers for the PWT. This DLC can be loaded into Glimmering Emerald using the eReader feature.

Instructions
    For this you will need your own copy of a US eReader ROM and use mGBA.
    1. Make sure you have unlocked Mystery Gift in your save by completing the questionnaire in a PokéMart.
    2. Open up Glimmering Emerald in mGBA.
    3. Go to 'File>New Multiplayer Window'.
    4. In the new mGBA instance open up the eReader ROM.
    5. In the mGBA window with the eReader go to 'File>Scan eReader dotcode...' and select the eReader card to use.
    6. Select Scan Card in the game.
    7. In Glimmering Emerald select Mystery Event on the starting screen and follow the prompts.
    8. Item and Pokémon gifts can be received from the Delivery Man on the second floor of PokeCenters.

May 2023
    This month you can receive one of each of the Apricorn Balls. There's no other way to get these balls in Glimmering Emerald currently, but I will implement a way to craft Apricorns in the future.
    Download

Past Events
    Spoiler:

Credits

Everyone who worked on the Pret disassembly and RHH expansion
    Sierraffinity - Day/Night System, e-Reader functionality
    Merrp - Following Pokémon
    ghoulslash - DexNav, Auto-run, Mart Items by Badge Count, Bag Sorting, Repeated Field Medicine Use, Pokecenters don't count eggs, Overworld Expansion, givecustommon
    ipatix - High Quality Audio Mixer
    Wyserth - Decapitalisation
    AsparagusEduardo - Decapitalisation, PoryMoves, More Bag Pockets, 'Move Pokémon' is the first PC option
    camthesaxman - Lati@s Soaring
    TheXaman - Running indoors
    Lunos - Reusable TMs, Buying TMs once, Press select to rearrange party Pokémon
    Buffel Salt - LGPE-style Premier Balls, No need to water berry trees on rainy routes
    DizzyEgg - BW Repel System
    Zeturic - XY-style Wrapping Summary Screen, 'Move Item' option in party menu
    Bassoonian - Pokémon date met in summary screen
    Jaizu - Keyboard swaps to lowercase after the first letter
    Duke - Move name instead of TM name in shops
    GriffinR - Disabled the union room check when entering Pokecenters
    CitrusBolt - e-Reader functionality, last used ball gfx
    Sbird - TM serialisation, TM learnset method
    Dat.H A - Spinda Second Frame
    ShinyDragonHunter - Spinda Second Frame, Arbok variants
    Dreadwing93 - Arbok variant sprites
    Horo - Gym Leader overworlds
    Kymotonian - Gen V follower sprites
    cSc-A7X - Gen V follower sprites
    2and2makes5 - Gen V follower sprites
    Pokegirl4ever - Gen V follower sprites
    Fernandojl - Gen V follower sprites
    Silver-Skie - Gen V follower sprites
    TyranitarDark - Gen V follower sprites
    Getsuei-H - Gen V follower sprites
    Milomilotic11 - Gen V follower sprites
    Kyt666 - Gen V follower sprites
    kidiamo11 - Gen V follower sprites
    Chocosrawloid - Gen V follower sprites
    SyleDude - Gen V follower sprites
    Gallanty - Gen V follower sprites
    Gizamimi-Pichu - Gen V follower sprites
    Princess-Pheonix - Gen VI follower sprites, Gen VII follower sprites
    Larryturbo - Gen VII follower sprites
    Kidakatt - Gen VII follower sprites
    Zender1752 - Gen VII follower sprites
    SageDeoxys - Gen VII follower sprites

If I've missed someone let me know!

Bugs

• Any known pokeemerald-expansion bug
    • Followers don't have the correct reflection palette if they come out next to a reflective surface (probably from me messing with their palette system)
    • In the PWT the info cards will say that Gym Leaders won with a move none of their Pokémon have.
    • The overworld ash and snow weather effects will occasionally use the wrong palette.

Last edited:

NotDWaddler

You're goin' straight to Gensokyo, Jimbo.
    Years
  • Always cool to see another ORAS demake, kudos. Though, why give Zinnia the steel bat? She wasn't super good in the base games, but I still think she could be reworked into an extra rival throughout the story. As a side note, are there any plans to include (or potentially toggle) between the base designs and ORAS redesigns? Cuz even as someone without any strong feelings on the game, the new designs for Magma and Aqua in particular just dumpster the old looks.

NotDWaddler

Years
  • Also, how the fuck do we use the E-Reader-

I feel like that should just be a patch lol

EDIT: Also, now that I've got the Dexnav, I've learned that ya can sneak by holding A. Should PROBABLY mention that in the features notes or something, cuz I stumbled on that by total accident.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    Also, how the fuck do we use the E-Reader-

EDIT: Also, now that I've got the Dexnav, I've learned that ya can sneak by holding A. Should PROBABLY mention that in the features notes or something, cuz I stumbled on that by total accident.

he tells us how in the OP, you have to get the e-reader card files yourself though

what i'm more interested in though is it seems like there is some way to 'activate' later gen pokemon? whats up with that? are crossgen evos disabled

Last edited:

paccy

Pokeholic
    Years
  • Always cool to see another ORAS demake, kudos. Though, why give Zinnia the steel bat? She wasn't super good in the base games, but I still think she could be reworked into an extra rival throughout the story. As a side note, are there any plans to include (or potentially toggle) between the base designs and ORAS redesigns? Cuz even as someone without any strong feelings on the game, the new designs for Magma and Aqua in particular just dumpster the old looks.
    Zinnia mostly appeared in the post game of ORAS and I haven't quite figured out exactly what I'm going to change there so I may still add her. Yeah the redesigns I have thought about but I want to focus on features first before changing the gfx.

Also, how the **** do we use the E-Reader-

Lol yeah using the ereader is just for funsies but I'll looks into making a patch too. And thanks for the feedback, I'll add that to the notes.

what i'm more interested in though is it seems like there is some way to 'activate' later gen pokemon? whats up with that? are crossgen evos disabled
    They're not available yet, I'm in the process of adding them right now. I'll be adding evolution items to the Lilycove rooftop sale as well so you can get crossgen evos.

Looks great. Only mons from the first 4 gens tho?
    Only gen 3 for now, I'm in the process of adding gens 4-6 + regional forms.

Last edited:

NotDWaddler

Years
  • he tells us how in the OP, you have to get the e-reader card files yourself though

Cept I did read it? I tried doin that with the E-Reader, and neither instance of mGBA wanted to connect to each other. Made sure to get the reader ROM beforehand too, so its not like I was monkey braining it

Zinnia mostly appeared in the post game of ORAS and I haven't quite figured out exactly what I'm going to change there so I may still add her. Yeah the redesigns I have thought about but I want to focus on features first before changing the gfx.

Ah yeah, that's fair. If anything, I'd say ya could have her start off as a pseudo Admin from first encounter in ORAS, whilst also doing double time as a rival by popping up at various points in the story relative to the other legendary Mons. And ya could still have her whole exchange and final battle at Sky Pillar for the first visit there too. I've sorta got an idea in mind for her, but it be your project

Side note for rivals: Maybe giving Wally a rival fight here and there and a bit of prominence in the late game story bits'll help to better flesh him out? I could totally see meeting em at Sootopolis or the Space Center, for a few examples.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2023
    Currently playing through this.
    Very excited to see what the future holds for glimmering emerald

Please make a discord :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Looks very good, but I'll wait until you add the later gen evolutions to try it.
    Keep up with teh good work!

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2023
    Woooooooaaaah
    That's exactly what i was looking for, Just add Megas, later Mons and a bit of difficulty and It Will be the definitive Emerald decomp experience
    Counting on you my dearest friend

lweege

Lweegiel
    Years
  • I wish there could be like an option to see your Pokemon EVs and IVs using the DexNav or in the Pokemon summary? Just to monitor training I guess.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Is there data like movesets and wild pokemon locations in your github? I can't seem to find them

also can't find the harbor mail to exchange for the coin case

Also also: Is every pokemon available in the game? Even the ones Emerald excluded?

Last edited:

paccy

Pokeholic
    Years
  • Currently playing through this.
    Very excited to see what the future holds for glimmering emerald

Please make a discord :)
    Thanks! Unfortunately I will not be making a discord for this

Woooooooaaaah
    That's exactly what i was looking for, Just add Megas, later Mons and a bit of difficulty and It Will be the definitive Emerald decomp experience
    Counting on you my dearest friend
    Megas are in already ;) I'm working on adding in later mons right now but I don't think I'll be changing the difficulty

I wish there could be like an option to see your Pokemon EVs and IVs using the DexNav or in the Pokemon summary? Just to monitor training I guess.
    You can check EVs and IVs in the box by pressing Start while hovering over Pokemon but that's only after you defeat the E4

Is there data like movesets and wild pokemon locations in your github? I can't seem to find them

also can't find the harbor mail to exchange for the coin case

Also also: Is every pokemon available in the game? Even the ones Emerald excluded?
    There isn't yet but I'm making a wiki to show all the data, but for now locations are the same as vanilla and movesets are the same as ORAS (with a couple of exceptions).
    Oops, looks like I forgot to put the harbor mail back in Slateport shop, I'll fix that for the next release.
    Every Pokemon will eventually be included but aren't currently. The next update should include them all after defeating the E4 (excluding legendaries).

How do trade evolutions work in this game?
    Currently, by trading. But I'll be making the link cable item available to buy in Lilycove soon.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2023
    So the game Is kinda vanilla, but with revamped Dex, encounters and Gym/e4 with new sets and later Mons, the difficult side Is on BF and PWT, am i right?

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    There isn't yet but I'm making a wiki to show all the data, but for now locations are the same as vanilla and movesets are the same as ORAS (with a couple of exceptions).
    Oops, looks like I forgot to put the harbor mail back in Slateport shop, I'll fix that for the next release.
    Every Pokemon will eventually be included but aren't currently. The next update should include them all after defeating the E4 (excluding legendaries).

Currently, by trading. But I'll be making the link cable item available to buy in Lilycove soon.

So this hack can trade with vanilla roms or not?

Also Wattson didn't give an electric type TM like he said he does. I believe he hands out Sludge Wave lol

Last edited:

paccy

Pokeholic
    Years
  • So the game Is kinda vanilla, but with revamped Dex, encounters and Gym/e4 with new sets and later Mons, the difficult side Is on BF and PWT, am i right?
    Pretty much, with QoL stuff from later generations.

So this hack can trade with vanilla roms or not?

Also Wattson didn't give an electric type TM like he said he does. I believe he hands out Sludge Wave lol
    No it can't trade with vanilla.
    Lol so he does, that'll be fixed in the next update.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2023
    Anyone else having trouble getting HM05 waterfall? Maybe I'm being dumb but I've just beaten the 8th gym and haven't been given it yet.

Back