• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
That is one long tutorial. This thread seems to get viewed more than I thought it
would. Well, guess that means that many people are reading this and have been getting help!

Years
Actually, the tutorial is just a bunch of Tutorials that might be for fun, or for being useful, Daegon Kimeron. But I guess you are right; many people do come here to see this thread! Pretty big! And so, now I have to put in Phone System, for Pokemon Diamond, and Pokemon G/S/C. It's going to be a heck of a time! Anyways, here is the basic clock system, provided easy for many people. Here it is now:

<>Wait: 1.0sec
<>Variable: [001:Seconds] + , 1
<>IF - THEN:Var[001:Seconds] - 60
<>Variable: [001:Seconds]Set, 0
<>Variable: [002:Minutes] + , 1
<>
:END Case
<>IF - THEN:Var[002:Minutes] - 60
<>Variable: [001:Seconds]Set, 0
<>Variable: [002:Minutes]Set, 0
<>Variable: [003:Hours] + , 1
<>
:END Case
<>

And that's pretty basic, but there's more tutorials coming up. Here's the PKMN Diamond Phone:

1. First create a common event called OnPhone and make Appearance
condition
Call if your using CMS, or Parallel Process if DMS.

2a. Create an item with these properties:
Name: Phone (or Whatever)
Classification: Switch (Make and turn on switch UsingPhone)
Price: 0 (Unless you want to be able to buy/sell phones.)
The rest is up to you...
2b. After making your CMS make an event that calls the event OnPhone
somewhere on your CMS.

3. In the OnPhone common event make an input number command (as many
numbers as you want for the phone) and set it to a variable called
RingingNumber.

4. Make a fork condition that is if Variable RingingNumber is the
same as the phone number of the person your calling. In the fork
condition put whatever you want the person to say/do etc... Add an
else case for each phone number, and at the final else case, with
no Phone Numbers left to make a message saying: "Incorrect
Phone Number"

5. At the end of the OnPhone common event turn switch UsingPhone off.

And so you need help, here's a FAQ made by the same person for the above code:
FAQs:

Q1. How do I make it so I can only ring someons number when I've meet
them?
A1. Make a switch turn on when you meet a person (I'll call it
VahnsNumber), and when using Fork Conditions to compare in step 4,
make a fork condition (without else case) that is set on if
VahnsNumber is on.

Q2. What is the best amount of numbers to have in a phone number?
A2. In my opinion, 5.

Q3. How can I make it so players can view what phone numbers they have?
A3. Make a Common Event which is triggered by whatever suits, and
in it write:
"Phone Numbers:" and then make a Fork Condition to see what phone
numbers you have. You can do this in the same method as Q1. In each
fork condition write a message like this:
"Vahn - 05347".

Now here is the original version, the G/S/C one! Being uploaded now!

First of all, you must know how to use RPGmaker 2000's Variable and Fork Condition System. Second, you must know what a Cell Phone is. Third, you must think of a few 5 digit numbers for the phone. Now on to the tutorial.

First, open up the database, and go to common events. This may be new and scary for you, or it may be a heaven. Its up to you how you want to put it. Choose one of the events on the side, (probably #1) and name is Cell Phone. For Event Start Condition, make it Autostart. And for the Switch, name one Cell Phone.

Now look at the big open area, that looks like the Event Editor. Wow, it is the event editor, same commands too! And no, this is not some twilight zone. Make an event, and have it be a cycle. It is on the third page. You'll see something that looks like this.

()Cycle
()
:End Cycle
()

Does it look the same? Good. Now in the are in between Cycle and :End Cyble, right click and make an event in there, and make it input number. It is one the first page. Have it be set to 5 digits, not 6, and have it be stored into a variable. I'm going to set it as #1 Variable, and I'm going to call is Cell Phone. DOes it look like this?

()Cycle
()Input Number : 5Dg.(0001:Cell Phone)
()
()

The Variable number and name may vary. Now, we do the easiest part! Think of some phone numbers! These are some that you will need to think of. A number that will turn the phone off, and thats it, and a simple number that calls the hero's best friend. So, lets get started!

Make a fork conditions beneath the Input event, and click the Variable section. Now this part is confusing at first, so re-read untill you get it. YOu will see the Word Set with a number by it, then you'll see Variable, with a gray variable next to it, and below it, a drop down menu with same, above, below, bigger, smaller, others. Make it be same. For the Number on Set, have it be any 5 digit number. Ex: 55892 Make it not have an Else Case, and click ok. YOu'll get something like this.

()Cycle
()FORK Optn:Varbl(0001:Cell Phone)- 55892
()
:END Fork

Now inside the fork, put it as switch, and turn off the Cell Phone Switch. Below that, make it break cycle. Tah Dah! You finished the first number! It should look like this!

()Cycle
()CHANGE Switch(003:Cell Phone)-Off SET
() BREAK cycle

Ok, so now the hero can call this number, and it will turn it off, but thats not what phones are for! YOu need to call people. SO lets call the hero's friend. I'm going ot use the number 28891. DO the samething as you did before, but without the break cycle and switch part, and replace it with a message saying something like 'Bob: Hi Joe, you called me.' In the Fork Condition, replace 55892 with 28891. You'll end up with this.

()Cycle

()CHANGE Switch(003:Cell Phone)-Off SET
() BREAK cycle

()FORK Optn:Varbl(0001:Cell Phone)- 28891
()Message: Bob: Hi Joe, you called me.

Now that may be confusing, so I spaced out the sections for you, but in RM2k, that won't be spaced out, but thats not problem, is it? Now, you have the code for the cell phone, but you don't have a cell phone. Make an item in the database, call it cell phone, make it a Switch Item, make it's use limitless, give it a description, and have it turn on the Cellphone switch. Test it out! Make a shop that sells cell phones, have the Hero Go Buy one, and test it out! Or try my demo that comes with it.

Here is the example demo over here: http://www.gamingw.net/staff/bart/gw-cellphone.zip

Anyways, here's the fourth tut: Pacman MiniGame!:

Two Varibles: One named Lives, and one named Balls.
Six Chars: One hero, DUH! One Enemy Char. A small object to be the things to collect. And one char to represent the Lives and the fith.. Is optinal because it is what your lifes look like when you get hit by the enemy.. And a Door to the next level
ONE SWITCH: NAME ONE LEVELCLEAR.
Map is COMPLETELY up to you. But this is what i did.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
B B B B B B B B B B
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

W=Wall B=The balls.

Balls- On Event touch(Event, hero)Below hero.
Set the events... Sound Effect. (I don't care what you set it to be, just don't make it a long sound)Set Varible Balls+1 and Set event place.(Either make a storage area, or put it off screen) and thats it.
Enemy. (Same as balls)Same level as hero.Set the events. A battle animation or a Sound effect. Set varible Lifes+1. Set event place( Back where the enemy started. NOTE: DO NOT GO IN THE ENEMY AREA OR YOU'LL DIE INSTANTLY!!!)

Lives- Put the lives at the bottom or somewhere the hero can't reach. You'll need three of these. Pages-2 FIRST PAGE. NO EVENTS JUST A Life that hasn't been hurt. Or the char that represents a life. Second page-(The life getting hurt)Starting events-VaribleLIVES+1 and do another lfe and put the second page starting events VaribleLIVES+2 And the last life is VaribleLIVES+3 Then AutoStart a GAMEOVER. THATS BECAUSE YOUR DEAD!!

Doors-Page one-starting events VaribleBALLS+(HOWEVER BALLS YOU PLACED ACROSS THE FIELD)
AutoStart, Sound Effect-Success2 Change Switch,LEVELCLEAR- PAGE2- Starting Events-VaribleBalls+(HOWEVER MANY You PLACED ACROSS THE FIELD) PushKey, EraseScreen, Teleport to next level, Show screen.

That was the PacMan MiniGame. Anyways, here is the next one:

Show picture command

Let us start with this one. If you want to use this command, just go to the event commands, second tab, I think. Now, time to explain the different options there is:

Pic. number ? Choose a number which will be the picture's ?label?, so to say. You can only use 20 pictures on the screen at once, though ;_;. A bad thing with rm2k. Also, too big pictures makes the game lag as ****?

Select picture ? Ermm, yeah? Select a picture.

Show position (Center Coord.) ? Here?s the place where you specify the coordinates on the picture you will be using. You can choose an X position (which is the horizontal position) from -640 to 960 and a Y-position (which is the vertical position) between -480 and 720. You can also take the coordinates stored in a variable (good for custom battle systems and such).

Move with map ? If you check this option, the picture will move when you moves (it will stay in the same position of the screen all the time).

Magnification ? Use this option to either expand or reduce the size of the picture in a scale between 0% and 2000%.

Transparency ? Determines how transparent the picture will be. It will be fully visible if set to 0%, and invisible if set to 100%.

Transparent Colour - Here, it is specified whether to display the colour (transparent colour) which uses a transparent part in the picture to show (Stir). A transparent colour is applied, and the colour is not displayed (None). A transparent colour is disregarded, and the colour is displayed.

Additional Effect: It is possible to have special effects applied to a displayed picture. Clicking the button opens the Other Attributes display dialog where the tone and unique effects of the picture are changed.

Colour: Specify picture changes according to four standards of colour; red (R), green (G), blue (B), and chroma (S). The slider corresponding to each item is dragged or a standard value is specified by directly inputting the numerical value.

Unique Effect: Here, the effect given to the display of the picture is specified. Place a check in whichever effects wanted, and the level in the given effect is specified by the slider. However, both effects cannot be used at a time.

Rotation: This rotates the drawing. It displays it while rotating the picture. The speed by which the picture rotates is greatest when the numerical value is high.

Ripple: This forces the drawing to have a rippling effect. The picture is waved to the vertical direction and displayed. The power by which the picture ripples is greatest when the numerical value is high.

Thanks to the help file for the transparent colour info ^_^.

Move picture command

The move picture command is used when you need to change the preferences of the picture, like coordinates, colour, transparency, etc. Here?s an explanation of the different commands.

Pic. Number ? Set this option to the number of the picture you want to change in one way or another.

Place position ? This will change the picture?s coordinates to a new value. You can also change it to the position stored in a variable.

Magnification - Use this option to either expand or reduce the size of the picture in a scale between 0% and 2000%.

Transparency ? Determines how transparent the picture will be. It will be fully visible if set to 0%, and invisible if set to 100%.

Additional effect ? See show picture command explanation above.

Movement Time - Here you input the time from the start of the processing of the display change in the picture to the finish of it in 0.1 seconds. So, if you set it to 10, the time it takes to make the operation will be 10 x 0.1 seconds, which is 1 second. You can choose a value between 0 and 1000.

Wait until moved ? If you check this option, you?ll have to wait for the operation to finish before the game goes on.

Erase picture command

Well, not much options here, heh. Just choose the number of the picture you want to erase, and it will be gone :D!!

This seems to be pretty useful, as it is Picture Movement. Anyways, here's the last one for this post: Adding Realism!

People find it pretty cool in games when they find little suprises and secrets which aren't always to do with or directly linked to the main plot. For instance:
Say the hero (Let's call him Alex by default) talks to Brian. (Who is also a PC.) Brian could say something like:
"Hey Alex, I've gotta leave you for a moment, I'll see you in a while".
Brian would now go off to do whatever, and Alex (Who the player controls) would go and continue the story or quest by leaving the town, until they meet again.
But suppose Alex doesn't leave the town right away, and goes to another part of the town and sees Brian doing whatever he left to do (Talking to someone, sleeping etc...)
the player may not find this little suprise when first playing the game, but rather may be amused and entertained upon finding it out the next time around.
This is a little thing I know, but these small things really make a difference between another RM2K3 game, or one up there with the best. Not only does this create a replay value and prolong the playing time courtesy of the player looking for these little suprises, but it adds depth to the game, because in real life people don't just completely dissapear when they go off on a causual errand do they?
------------------------
Adding Depth
------------------------
Here are some pointers about adding depth to characters using the little "suprise" method.
1. Don't always have friends in the party CONSTANTLY,
real life friends don;t hang around you like some bad disease do they? to make things more realistic, how about making one of them leave the party on a night walk when staying at an inn, or leaving the party if they don't like the way you speak to some people (an argument).
2. Give the PC characters personalities of there own, don't just keep the hero in the spotlight, they're all in this together you know! how about letting some of the other PC's share an opinion with you when you are presented with a choice? (e.g. 200G to stay here, stay? "Yes","No"
Brian: Don't do it man, it's not a good offer)
3. When on a mini quest in the game, how about having the team split up and try and solve the quest on their own?
you could make it so that the first person to win out of your team (so you all benefit really) wins something only they can use, it will create a better reality knowing that it isn't a solo effort, that your friends also think and speak their mind.

------------------------
Personality
------------------------
No one person is the same. We are all different, this so should be the case with your PC's. Or even NPC's. Having everyone speak in the same way makes everyone seem automated, giving them different dialogue may also give hints as to the type of town you are in.
Also you can make certain characters fussy about the certain weapons they wish to use, no you don't need a CBS for this, it can be done using simple common events, which may be my next tutorial...
-----------
NPC's
-----------
NPC's are VERY IMPORTANT in your game, giving them depth and personalities is important, or the game seems very stale. Do not just select random graphics and plonk them anywhere with midnless random movement. Everyone does something with their life, your NPC's should be no different. Allow them to interact with each other, visit people in their houses, and do jobs around the village or town. This draws the player in better and creates the atmosphere you want, based on the personalities the characters in your town have.

----------
Conclusion
----------
Adding little things like these is fun to the user, and adds more realism to your game, it should be noted that doing these things can be the thing that makes your stick up above the rest!
Later, (For now)

And these are from GamingWorld, I have to say this so people will know. Anyways, bye!
~Tetris

Years
Tutorial Time Again

Sorry for Double Posting, but here is a batch of more tutorials. Here's the first one:

The first method i would like to talk about is using doors
instead of just holes in the wall. This may sound obvious but the amount of times i've seen games where there are no doors or the doors don't look relistic. Below i've put the code for a relistic door.

Play Sound Effect: Open1
Move Event: This Event - Face Right, Face Up, Face Left
Wait: 0.3 seconds
Move Event: Hero - Start Slipthrough, Step Up, Stop Slipthrough
Wait: 0.5 seconds
(add the teltport here)

The second method is using variables to create random conversations.

Variable Ch:[0001:Talking]setu, Randm{1*(how ever many forks you have)]
FORK Optn:Varbl[0001:Talking]-1(This is the FORK value)
(message 1 here)
END Case

Do the FORK as many times as you like but makesure you change the FORK value for each different fork.

Oh, and this is just another DAY/NIGHT tutorial, but without (supposedly having rain in your house - oh my!), well, read the inside. Anyways, here goes:

We need 5 switches:
Day
Dusk
Night
Dawn
Outside

First go to your Common Events tab in the Database menu, and call the first event "DAY/NIGHT SWITCHES", or something of the sort. Make it a parallel process, but no Trigger Switch (This makes it so it runs even while inside). It's easier if I just show you the coding, I'm not good at explaining:

<>Switch Operation: [####:Day] ON
<>Wait: 90.0 Sec
<>Switch Operation: [####:Day] OFF
<>Switch Operation: [####:Dusk] ON
<>Switch Operation: [####:Dusk] OFF
<>Switch Operation: [####:Night] ON
<>Switch Operation: [####:Night] OFF
<>Switch Operation: [####:Dawn] ON
<>Switch Operation: [####:Dawn] OFF
<>Switch Operation: [####:Day] ON

Next, make another event and call it "DAY/NIGHT CHANGE" (or again, something of the sort), make it a parallell process with a trigger switch [####:Outside], and put in this code:

<>Branch if Switch [####:Dusk} is ON
<>Tint Screen (R100,G070,B040,S120),30.0 Sec (Wait)
<>
:End
<>Branch if Switch [####:Night} is ON
<>Tint Screen (R020,G040,B080,S120),30.0 Sec (Wait)
<>
:End<>Branch if Switch [####:Dawn} is ON
<>Tint Screen (R080,G080,B100,S100),30.0 Sec (Wait)
<>
:End<>Branch if Switch [####:Day} is ON
<>Tint Screen (R100,G100,B100,S100),30.0 Sec (Wait)
<>

That takes care of the common events. The next part is tedious. On your world map, make an event that is a parallel process, and have it turn on switch [####:Outside]. Now, for every event that teleports you inside, have it turn of switch [####:Outside] and set screen tone to 100 for everything. You might want to use the "Create Teleport Event" command when you do this (if using RM2k3), I'm not sure if the "Hide Screen" makes any difference, but you can try. Do this for every event that teleports you inside a building (or any area that the outside light does not effect).

Next, for every event that takes you back outside, have it turn switch [####:Outside] back on, and copy the exact code from the "DAY/NIGHT CHANGE" Commen Event, except have all the screen transistions take 0.0 Sec and no Wait. It should look like this:

<>Hide Screen: Use Default
<>Branch if Switch [####:Dusk} is ON
<>Tint Screen (R100,G070,B040,S120),30.0 Sec (Wait)
<>
<>Branch if Switch [####:Night} is ON
<>Tint Screen (R020,G040,B080,S120),30.0 Sec (Wait)
<>
:End<>Branch if Switch [####:Dawn} is ON
<>Tint Screen (R080,G080,B100,S100),30.0 Sec (Wait)
<>
:End<>Branch if Switch [####:Day} is ON
<>Tint Screen (R100,G100,B100,S100),30.0 Sec (Wait)
<>
<>Teleport: ???, Retain Facing
<>Show Screen: Default

Hopefully, you're reading this tut at the start of your game, that way you don't have too many events to add coding to.

With all that done, you have now created your own seamless Day/Night system.

There's another tutorial, for KIRBY character *lol* and here it is:

Part 1: He sucks

Okay, the first thing you need to do is set up Kirby's actions. Go to Battle Layout and go into the battle commands. There are 3 commands you must make:

Inhale (Attack)
Dispel (Event or Defend)
Exhale (Attack)

Okay, now make sure Kirby has Inhale (out of those three commands you made). Next, go to Monster Group and select a group (For this tutorial, we'll have Waddle Dee, Burning Leo and Whispy). There are 3 different areas to worry about in this section.

First, set Page 1 to have the trigger "Kirby uses Inhale". Next, create a switch or variable (call it Size) and set it to a specific value. For each monster, create a Conditional Branch "If monster is targeted" and create a battle animation on the target monster. If a monster is too heavy or big for Kirby, then turn the Size switch to opposite.

How it works is that if the monster is too big, Kirby cannot do anything to it Therefore, start a Conditional Branch with "if switch [Size] is on" and include an "else statment". In the else, Stun Kirby and remove it (If anyone is confused, Stun/remove cancels the character's action but does not stop him for one turn). In this example, Whispy is too big.

Next, I have chosen three Decisions for Kirby: Exhale, Eat, and Store. There is nothing requred for Exhale, as it relates to attacking a small character anyways.

As for Eat, create a variable "Power" and set it to 0. Next, create Conditional Branches "if monster was targeted" (No need to do Whispy). What Eat does basically is killing for HP, so you can do whatever you want for the HP recover as long as you cast death on the monster. However, some monsters have abilities for Kirby like Burning Leo, so set forth "Power" to be a certain number. After all the monsters are coded, do the Stun/Remove and then set up Common Event "Power Gain" (Will be explained later).

For Store, it's taking one monster and then spitting it out on your opponent in the next turn. Set variable "Power" to -1. Next, Conditional Branches for each monster, containing variable "Victim" set to a certain number and Death. For me, I also add another variable to remember HP.
Call Common Event "Power Gain" and Stun/Remove.

This is how it should look:

If "Kirby" use "Inhale"

Switch "Size" On
If Waddle Dee=target
>Battle Animation
End
If Burning Leo=target
>Battle Animation
End
If Whispy=target
>Battle Animation
>Switch "Size" Off
End
If Switch "Size" On
>Show Choice (Exhale/Eat/Store)
>>[Exhale]
>>[Eat]
>>>Variable "Power" 0
>>>If Waddle Dee=target
>>>>Waddle Dee-Death Add
>>>End
>>>If Burning Leo=target
>>>>Burning Leo-Death Add
>>>>Variable "Power" 1
>>>End
>>>Call Common "Power Gain"
>>>Kirby-Add Stun
>>>Kirby-Remove Stun
>>[Store]
>>>Variable "Power" -1
>>>If Waddle Dee=target
>>>>Variable "Victim" 1
>>>>Waddle Dee-Death Add
>>>End
>>>If Burning Leo=target
>>>>Burning Leo-Death Add
>>>>Variable "Victim" 2
>>>End
>>>Call Common "Power Gain"
>>>Kirby-Stun Add
>>>Kirby-Stun Remove
>>End
>Else
>>Kirby-Stun Add
>>Kirby-Stun Remove
End

Part Two: He feasts

Remember the common event "Power Gain" I made you do? Well, make sure you at least create it.

First, remove all commands of Kirby. Next, make separate branches for each ability. It should be something like this (The first two are important). Also, it's possible to change facesets or subsitute command changes for class changes.

It should be like this:

Remove Kirby All Commands
If Variable "Power"= -1
>Add Kirby "Exhale"
End
If Variable "Power"= 0
>Add Kirby "Inhale"
End
If Variable "Power"= 1
>Add Kirby "Fire" (Subset)
>Add Kirby "Dispel"
>Message: Got Fire Power!
End
and etc.

Part 3: He dumps

Through the first two parts, when Kirby eats an enemy with a special ability, Kirby gains something like "Fire" skills. However, if the player wishes to get rid of the spell, that is where Dispel comes in.

Set up a second page in the same group using "Kirby uses Dispel". Under it, simply set Variable "Power" 0 and call Common Event "Power Gain"

Part 4: He blows

So what's the point of using Store? Well, suppose there's this heavy monster (that Kirby cannot Inhale) likes to make little minions, but you forgot your "Fire" skills at home and none of these enemies have abilities.

The third page should use "If Kirby uses Exhale". For each Variable "Victim" # Conditional Branch, remove the death condition of the appropriate monster. If you feel merciful, recover the monster's HP. After all that, Set Variable "Power" 0 and call Common Event "Power Gain".

Part Five: He dies

It would be the end of my guide from here, but all Kirby fans know that when Kirby dies, he definitely loses his abilities.

Make a new Common Event "Kirby Dies". Make a Conditional Branch "If Kirby has death condition", then implant Conditional Branch "If Variable [Power] is not 0". In there, Remove all Kirby's commands and Add Kirby's Inhale.

Next, go to the Monster Group and add a fourth page using "Turn elapse 1x starting 0" (meaning each turn from beginning). In there, call Common Event "Kirby Dies".

-----

Now for some things:

Yes, it is possible to do classes instead of battle commands, even make classes "level up" their skills after battle. However, didn't choose to do that.

Some of the things you can do during "Power Gain" is to change your face and name to match your state.

Eat not only kills monsters and add abilities, it may even heal HP and MP. Be wary that it may also cause HP loss and some unexpected status effects.

It would be easy to put in "accuracy" to Inhale and still easy while putting in "accuracy based on HP", but too lazy to do it.

What use is this Kirby System? Well, if you're using Kirby or a character that eats, of course.

To make this easier, use Comments to mark each area.

If the system starts to lag, try setting Wait (0.0 seconds) in each event.

The only time Kirby should not have the Kirby system is if he is welding a special weapon (Dueling Sword or Star Rod for example). For that, make sure Kirby's command changes for the battle and do not put the Kirby system in that particular battle.

And this is it! Thank you for reading this, and I hope you a great summer!
~Tetris

EDIT: The reason there's not a whole bunch more is because of the 2000 char. limit.

Peekimon

Me = cat-aholic, Meowr
Years
Ooh... you've made a wrong move. You aren't supposed to BUMP threads more than 1 month old >_< This is nearly a year old. You could've just asked in the Game Dev Help/Requests Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back