• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gameboy Island Set announced!

Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    ANNOUNCEMENT
    (last update: 05-07-06)

I hereby "officially" announce that the set Gameboy Island is in the works. This set will finally bring the cards you only saw in the Pokémon Trading Card Game for the Gameboy to your deck. The set will be split into two, the standard Gameboy Island Set featuring the 12 cards obtainable through the Booster Packs in the game, and the Gameboy Island Promotional Set featuring the 5 Promotional cards that only saw the light of day on the Gameboy. These Promotional cards include the four legendary cards of the Pokémon Card Masters. It will also feature a few completely new game rules to handle attacks and powers relying on randomization (e.g. Jigglypuff's Friendship Song which draws one randomly chosen Basic Pokémon from your deck).

NEWS
    (last update: 05-08-06)

Cards and links
    05-08-06 - Kresjah

The cards have finally been embedded in the post. If you scroll down to the card section, you will be able to see a picture of all the cards in their current state. Please note that they are subject to changes. Promotional cards are NOT shown. They will be shown when the time for promotion comes ;)

Still need illustrators. If you have the talent and feel like taking on a small but nevertheless interesting project, please send me a private message.

With Kind Regards
    Kresjah

INFORMATION AND OPEN POSITIONS

So, now you know what it is, but there is more information about it.

Currently, all cards are made using the Neo Genesis styled blanks. If things go as planned, blanks that resemble the old style cards from Base Set/Jungle/Fossil will be used on the final revisions of the cards. This is to make the cards blend into the card generation they were meant to be in if they had existed, namely the Base Set/Jungle/Fossil era. The reason Neo styled blanks are used at the moment is simply because I haven't been able to find any old Base Set style blanks.

Whether there will be a Booster Pack design for them is as of yet not decided upon. Seeing as the set only contains 12 unique cards, it seems a bit useless. It would be fun though, so it might still happen.

The illustration artwork on the cards in their current state is NOT the final art. This is simply because I can't draw, and have been forced to use placeholders in order for the cards to look fairly decent. In most cards, I use Pokémon art images by Ken Sugimori (see the Pokebeach homepage), and Clip Back backgrounds from Pokémon Zeo (see the Zeo homepage) with heavy modification to best represent the game card. The graphics willin the end resemble the game illustrations very closely, but that also means I need help from people out there on making illustrations.

Text and other stuff on the card may look like they aren't blended enough with the cards yet. This is the case simply because I want that to be the last thing I do on a card before the final release. When reviewing the cards, please look away from this detail, or try to picture it with a layer of blur and maybe a very small opacity reduction on the text.

I have designed a card set logo that should be on the cards. This logo consist of a G and B that represents the Gameboy-exclusive card logo you can find in the game. It currently has a withe border around the text, but it is still not decided whether this white border should be removed or not.

Some cards may contain incorrect data, especially in the fields of card number and rarity. The promotional cards may change design in terms of Holographic looks.

So, if you can contribute help with any of the issues listed below, please contact me:
    • Blanks for the Base Set/Jungle/Fossil cards
    • Create illustrations (please PM me with examples of previous work).
    • Check if some the cards have appeared in Japanese sets, and tell me if parts of the card list is incorrect (cards missing/cards exist).

SOURCE LINKS

(last updated: 05-08-06)

* Ultimate Pokémon Center (UPC) - direct link to all the Gameboy TCG game cards
    * Pokébeach - Ken Sugimori art was found here
    * Pokémon Zeo - Blanks, Card Accessories and Clip Backs were found here

CARD LIST

Code:
    |=============================|
    |Gameboy Island Set [11 cards]|
    |=======================================================================================|
    | CARD  |     POKÉMON     |    TYPE   |     RARITY  | GAME BOOSTER |       STATUS       |
    |=======================================================================================|
    | 1/12  | Tangela Lv12    | Grass     |    Common   | Colosseum    |                    |
    | 2/12  | Meowth Lv14     | Colorless |    Common   | Colosseum    |                    |
    | 3/12  | Marowak Lv32    | Fighting  |    Uncommon | Evolution    |                    |
    | 4/12  | Jigglypuff Lv13 | Colorless |    Common   | Evolution    |                    |
    | 5/12  | Flareon Lv22    | Fire      |    Uncommon | Mystery      | Pre-release rev. 1 |
    | 6/12  | Vaporeon Lv29   | Water     |    Uncommon | Mystery      | Pre-release rev. 1 |
    | 7/12  | Jolteon Lv24    | Lightning |    Uncommon | Mystery      | Pre-release rev. 1 |
    | 8/12  | Ninetails Lv35  | Fire      |    Rare     | Laboratory   |                    |
    | 9/12  | Magnemite Lv15  | Lightning |    Common   | Laboratory   | Pre-release rev. 1 |
    | 10/12 | Electrode Lv35  | Lightning |    Rare     | Laboratory   |                    |
    | 11/12 | Pidgeot Lv38    | Colorless |    Rare     | Laboratory   |                    |
    | 12/12 | Ditto Lv19      | Colorless |    Rare     | Laboratory   |                    |
    +                                         +
    |=========================================|
    |Gameboy Island Promotional Set [11 cards]|
    |=====================================================================================|
    | CARD |     POKÉMON    |    TYPE   |    RARITY   | GAME BOOSTER |       STATUS       |
    |=====================================================================================|
    | 1/5  | Moltres Lv37   | Fire      | Promotional | Promotional  |                    |
    | 2/5  | Articuno Lv37  | Water     | Promotional | Promotional  |                    |
    | 3/5  | Zapdos Lv68    | Lightning | Promotional | Promotional  |                    |
    | 4/5  | Dragonite Lv41 | Colorless | Promotional | Promotional  | Pre-release rev. 2 |
    | 5/5  | Mew Lv15       | Psychic   | Promotional | Promotional  |                    |

CARDS
    (last update: 05-08-06)
    Promotional cards will only be shown here when the set is almost finished.

Gameboy Island 1/12: Tangela Lv12
    Revision: 1st Pre-release (05-08-06)
    Tangela-05-08-06.jpg

Gameboy Island 5/12: Meowth Lv14
    Meowth-05-08-06.jpg

Gameboy Island 5/12: Marowak Lv32
    Marowak-05-08-06.jpg

Gameboy Island 5/12: Jigglypuff Lv13
    Jigglypuff-05-08-06.jpg

Gameboy Island 5/12: Flareon Lv22
    Revision: 2nd Pre-release (05-08-06)
    Flareon-05-08-06.jpg

Gameboy Island 6/12: Vaporeon Lv29
    Vaporeon-05-08-06.jpg

Gameboy Island 7/12: Jolteon Lv24
    Jolteon-05-08-06.jpg

Gameboy Island 10/12: Electrode Lv35
    Revision: 1st Pre-release (05-07-06)
    Electrode-05-07-06.jpg

Last edited:

x24

Researcher-Sprite Thieves, DIE
    Years
  • looks nice, only error i see is that in the original sets (b4 neo) the HP text was red, once Neo stated (which is what blanks u are using) the HP text turned black

edit: now that I look at it.. u only did that on dragonite.. confused now.. of well, good work anyways

Great Chikorita

~ It's Raining Here! ~
    Years
  • Another Great Intro... :D

You have finally going to make a card set. I wish you can finish it.

These are the cards from your other threads right? They are great!

One thing: I think Electrode has a grammar error on Sonic Boom...:

"This attacks damage is not affected by weakness and resistance. (Any other..."

Something like that.

Keep up the good work!

Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    x24: Indeed you are correct. Actually, I have an updated Dragonite on my harddrive waiting for an extra touch before releasing. It includes black HP text.

The reason for this sudden change was that I first thought of doing it the old way (red HP) since that was the era I was trying to replicate. Then I made Flareon and realized that red text was almost unreadable with that background. I didn't take the time to check how the original cards had done it to make the HP readable, so I went for black then, and have done the black ever since.

If I get some blanks for the old style, and find I way to fix the fire blank vs. red background, I'll go for the red HP style.

greatchikorita said:
    "This attacks damage is not affected by weakness and resistance. (Any other..."

Actually, I've made the text identical to the Gameboy game. Although it doesn't quite fit the standard that the TCG usually uses, the grammar isn't actually incorrect... just a bit unusual formulation for the TCG.

Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    4 new cards added (Tangela, Meowth, Marowak, Jigglypuff), some cards have been fixed (especially card numbering), news section added, 1 card removed (promos will be saved for later, I want more time to make them as best as possible before making a stir), all cards embedded in posts and working links.

Older revisions of the cards will probably be available sometime tomorrow.

Enjoy! :)

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Didn't notice that I had written the last post in the thread before making this one.

Back