• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] He who is Merely a Rumour

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
La Pompa said:
Do you need a comma after "Where before"? It doesn't gel imo
Agreed. *fixed*

La Pompa said:
HE LIED! OH NOEZ! And... BEVAN'S DAD IS GIRATINA!
Because Augury is such an honest person, I thought it might come as a shock. ;D

La Pompa said:
But I preferred the midgets... ;_;
Hahaha~ Perhaps he really is two midgets and this is all a convoluted trick? ;D

La Pompa said:
did you put that there to keep me happy?
Excellent opportunity to save face, but no. XD; Comma placement is quite a common error for me. :P

La Pompa said:
Just awesome. But I think that we need a look-see at Bevan's thoughts next chapter.
How do the next three chapters sound? ;D

PokeBug said:
Wow, Citrinin, wow. This is got to be THE BEST thing I've seen on this site so far. You're extremely good. Seriously. Awesome! :D
Thank you, PokeBug. ^.^ Was there any way you thought I could improve?

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Chapter Nineteen: Rising Cold
Bevan stood on a mountain in a blanket of white. Snow fell softly to the ground, the wind throwing it about casually. I'm in a dream, he noticed.

Suddenly, his feet slipped into the snow, and quickly, he was sinking into it, being swallowed by the mountain. The experience was horrifying, he couldn't move his limbs, and he knew there was no escape. He looked frantically to the sky, as if that would help him, and all he could see was the face of his father in the clouds. Suddenly, it proclaimed in the strangled, stereo voice of Augury: "This is your fate!"

As the final syllable echoed across the sky, his head was ripped under the snow, only to be thrust upward by waking. Panting in night sweat, he rose. Just a dream, he consoled himself. Just a dream.

He pulled a black robe over himself, tying the gown, and sat down on his bed. This was a dream he had been having ever since he'd got here. What could it mean? Perhaps it means that I'm doomed to a life coldness, both in emotion and in act. It was hardly a consoling thought, but these days, consolation meant little to Bevan, who was trying to remove feeling. Like Cyrus had, one hundred years ago.

He then reflected over what Cicero had told him. It was true: he hadn't spoken to Charlotte in days. In his darkest of times, Charlotte had been a light in his life. Perhaps the only one who truly understood him. He rose, exiting his room, walked down the hallway, and entered Charlotte's.

The simple click of the door was enough to wake her – while she was once a deep sleeper, as a trainer, being able to drift between sleep and wake quickly was a matter of survival. "Charlotte?"

"Bevan – hi." She sat up, her hair frizzy, but her eyes alert. "It's the middle of the night."

"I'd noticed," said Bevan wryly. He was acutely aware that he didn't smile when he said this. "I – I'm having a recurring dream." So he told her about it in as much detail as he could muster. He was never much of a storyteller, but wanted to convey the horror with which it filled him.

Charlotte looked at Bevan. "I think it's trying to tell you that you're being dragged into a world of which you wanted to avoid. And ultimately, your father stuck you in it. If he didn't force you to become a Cloak…"

"Then you would have probably killed me instead." Bevan said this without anger or humour.

Charlotte leaned in and put her hand on Bevan's shoulders. "Bevan, you've been distant lately. I know we haven't known each other long, but I feel a strong connection between us. Or, at least… I did."

Bevan looked her in the eye. "It's… survival. I need to stop my own emotions from eating me alive."

"You feel nothing?" Charlotte said this in a kind, but almost hurt tone.

"It's… complicated. I feel a tinge of emotion, but I have to suppress it."

Charlotte looked away, as if thinking something over. Bevan opened his mouth to speak, but Charlotte leaned in so their faces were an inch away. "Suppress this," she said softly, and leaned in to kiss him.

"No –" Bevan pulled away abruptly, frankly shocked that she would do that. He thought that their friendship was just that. Had he been this oblivious? Quite frankly, he had no idea how to handle it.

"Bevan…"

Bevan stood up. "I… I had no idea you felt that way."

Charlotte crossed her arms defensively. "Don't you?"

He had found it hard enough to trust her as a friend. But to be intimate in that manner? "I… I guess… no."

Charlotte tilted her head. "As trainers, the thing we were scared most of wasn't the police, or even the Cloaks. What we were scared of was something called 'The Rising Cold', where trainers would become so bitter with their situations that they would essentially lose their humanity. Some lost it in different ways, like becoming cruel, or depressed, and sometimes insane. You…"

"I've caught The Cold because I rejected you?" Bevan's lip twitched with contempt.

"Because you felt something and suppressed it. Simply because it was there, Bevan. I saw it in your eyes. You're Colder than anyone I've met – you've lost your emotion, Bevan. You have to get over it."

"I had hope, Charlotte. That my mother was alive. And it was taken from me. How dare you say I'm not allowed to protect myself?" The language was angry and defensive, but his tone was level, calm.

Charlotte felt an uncharacteristic wave of anger cross over her. He thinks he's the only one with parent issues? I've been there, too, you jerk. I don't decide to become some wannabe Cyrus. All she could do is shake her head angrily. "Just, get out, Bevan," she whispered. "Please. Get the hell out of my room."

*​

Cicero was quietly singing a tune to himself as he worked.

"He who is Merely a Rumour,
Is the Oligarchy's tumour,
Hiding in the night,
Obscured from sight,
He pulls the strings,
Controls ev'rything…

"He who is Merely a Rumour,
Cicero told it to ya,
The Brain had a stroke
And yelled to us folk: –"

"Good to see someone's still singing that," said Dagger as he entered the laboratory. "It doesn't help that you're an awful singer," he said, his eyes alight with jest.

"Well, most people who so much as hummed it were killed five years ago," smiled Cicero darkly.

"Why'd you risk it?" Dagger sat down. "Going public with Augury…" He shook his head in quiet admiration.

"You – and the song, for that matter – make it seem as if I proclaimed it to a balcony of people. It was just a leak."

"Still very impressive, I must say."

"What are you doing now?"

"The psychic drug was a success, as you know, I'm sure. I'm trying to find a way to make it work on non-AB types."

"Any luck?"

"No, unfortunately. It's not a simple matter of tweaking one component, but restructuring the entire thing. And, of course, since this was an unexpected discovery, it could take decades. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure it's worth pursuing."

"I must say, though, Dagger, I found your original question intriguing. Why would you, of all people, ask me why I risked facing Augury? You confronted him in an actual battle. You've been running a campaign of terror-"

"It's not a campaign of terror, Cicero."

"However noble your cause, it is undeniable that you use terror, Dagger. You're not so pure yourself."

"And you are?"

"Did I make that claim? One cannot take a side in this without getting his hands dirty. I'm experimenting on minors and building deadly weapons. You're killing innocent people. Bevan's forsaken humanity. It's not a fairy tale where there the perfect knight slays the evil Salamence. There's a lot of grey."

"And you don't like that."

"I despise it," smiled Cicero. "But you're evading my question."

"The reason I asked was because you had no following. You went public. You had no connections."

"Well, what's your story? How did you turn from being 'Christopher' to the terror of Torcra?"

"My story's not really that interesting," shrugged Dagger. "I grew up in the slums of Cronine City. It was so disgusting. Ninety percent of us lived in squalor, while we could see wealthy, corpulent bureaucrats and corrupt businessmen walking to their luxurious offices. I hated them, and they hated us. Of course, we couldn't say anything, or the police would raid us. And, there were always the agents of the Cloaks and TIA to worry about."

"The Torcran Intelligence Agency cared about the slums?"

"We were at a constant risk of uprising. You really had to live in Cronine twenty years ago to understand the tenseness of it. Now, of course, the constant crackdowns and forced separations make uprising impossible."

"So, what happened?"

"At the age of thirteen, I got a job at a government-run factory. It was grueling, and I tolerated it for two years until I decided I'd had enough, and fled. I became a petty thief, but quickly became involved in some rather heavy Pokémon trafficking. The government was just starting a crackdown, so business was booming. I rose up quickly through the ranks, and a big advantage of it was I got my own Pokémon. And, it was better pay than the factory work.

"At the age of about twenty-two, I was quite high up, and I had to do the grunt work, but for massive pay. It was very fishy – I was a high flier and I was being asked to be backup. I asked my superior, and he began to act very strangely. The man who accepted the goods was a man with a white mask and a black cloak. The stuff of criminal legends: a member of the Moonlight Squad.

"I asked around, and after a few years, I'd almost given up. But then, it was brought up in conversation with a friend of mine who was a major player in the business. The name 'Lord Augury' popped up. I was told very strictly by this friend that if I blabbed, both he and I would have our heads removed. All I knew was that there was a secretive gang lord who ran all manner of organised crime, controlled major players in government, and had his own private army of assassins."

"And then the next you heard of him was…"

"Five years ago, when you released 'Lord Augury' to top bureaucrats and an Ozoldran media outlet. When Evan Emerit jokingly dubbed him 'He who is Merely a Rumour' to the press, I knew that this small feature in the news was talking about Lord Augury. Instinctively. And then the killings began. People who knew too much were slaughtered."

"Did they come after you?"

"They came after my friend, and in a desperate attempt to save his own life, he betrayed me. They killed him anyway and came after me. I lead a group known as 'The Knife', where our job was to get all the people who knew of Augury and weren't in bed with his interests into safe hiding. We laid low, plotting revenge, and discovering his nature. We trained our Pokémon and recruited silently. And then, a month ago, when we felt we couldn't get anything new through peaceful methods, we began to kill. The fugitives became terrorists, so to speak."

"I did know that last part."

"Because we tried to track you down, and, naturally…"

"I thought it was a ploy. Then I saw your attacks, knew you were serious, and came to find you."

"And here we are today," said Dagger redundantly.

"And what a day it is."

*​

"Bevan," called Charlotte as he walked to the training grounds. She had a determined look on her face. "Come with me."

They walked in silence until they reached a battleground.

"You… want to battle me?"

Charlotte locked eyes with him. "Yes. If you think this emotional state you're in makes you more powerful, I'm going to disprove you. And I'll even send out first. Are you in?"

"Fine," said Bevan. Her real motive was to make him lose. Her Pokémon, while having been out of commission for a while, had a year of battling experience, while his had had only a month. The loss might bring him back down to earth.

They took their places at opposite ends of the stadium. "Roselia, go!" Charlotte threw down her Pokéball, and her Roselia materialised.

"Venonat!"

He released his only unevolved Pokémon, a small bur of purple fur. She's small, but she's got the type advantage here, Bevan thought to himself smugly.

"Psybeam!"

"Leap closer!"

Venonat's eyes glowed for a second before releasing two beams of whirring, colourful energy straight at Roselia. The elegant Pokémon leapt gracefully out of the way, as it had done so many times before. Venonat and her trainer had a level of nervousness and inexperience that neutralised any type advantage they possessed.

"Stun Spore!"

Now in close, Roselia twirled, releasing glimmering yellow spores. Venonat tried desperately to leap away, but the mycotoxic powder attached itself to her fur, hardening. Bevan feigned a look of worry on his face. Overconfident, Charlotte commanded her Pokémon to take a risk.

"Giga Drain!"

"Psybeam!"

Venonat's beam of light easily beat Roselia's slow Giga Drain, and at such a close range, Roselia was knocked back against the floor, skidding pathetically away. Bevan's ploy had worked. Play the trainer, he reminded himself. The trainer's where the fate of the battle lies.

"Roselia, pull back!"

That little plant is tougher than she looks, thought Bevan to himself, as she moved gracefully back. Roselia aren't really that fast, usually, but this seems to have come top in the gene pool.

"Leech Seed!"

"Knock 'em down: Swift!"

Roselia fired several parasitic seeds into the air, and as they arced, Venonat shot out several yellow stars, each curving to seek out a seed, and two more headed for Roselia.

"Protect," Charlotte yawned.

Roselia lifted one of her arms, and a green shield appeared, absorbing the stars.

They had each figured out the other's strategy. Charlotte knew that Venonat, while quite immobile, exacerbated by the Stun Spore, could fire long-range attacks effectively, overcoming that weakness. Bevan had caught on as well: Roselia was slippery, fast, and tough. If it was a matter of waiting it out, he'd lose. She'd come in again and again, getting a few cheap shots in, until Venonat had lost. Time to bring in the tanks, he thought to himself.

"Launch in for another Leech Seed!"

"Brace yourself!"

Roselia leapt towards Venonat in several beautiful jumps. When she was ten feet from her foe, she curved her blue petal to release another round of seeds.

"Psybeam the ground!"

This was a move Bevan had come up with a few days ago, and Venonat was quite proficient. Venonat turned and released a Psybeam attack into the ground, the force propelling her light body into Roselia. Shocked, Roselia stumbled back helplessly, but was hit by this oversized ball of purple fur.

"Sleep Powder!"

Venonat shuddered, releasing a soothing white spore. Roselia tried to leap away, and landed gracefully, only to stumble and then fall into a deep sleep. At such close range, there's no way she could have escaped.

Charlotte was nervous, now. She was far more experienced, and yet he had come up with an ingenious tactic, combining two moves to overcome a fundamental weakness. What's more, he hadn't only beaten her Pokémon in that round, but her.

"Would you look at that?" She looked up to see what Bevan was admiring.

Unfolding from a bright white light was Venonat, changing shape. Wings sprouted, antennae shortened, and her small legs were taken into the body. "Venomoth," the new Pokémon announced proudly.

Charlotte felt a sickening feeling in her stomach. It wasn't so much that she was worried about Venomoth, but at the fact that Bevan didn't show happiness. He showed admiration. He admired Venomoth's newfound power and speed. Does that count as emotion?

"Good job, you should be happy," smiled Charlotte, in an abnormally sweet tone.

Bevan shook his head. "If only."

"This next one's gonna take you down," said Charlotte, in traditional trainer banter. "Your Venomoth doesn't stand a chance." It wasn't at all mean-spirited, as it wasn't meant to be. It was barely even meant to psych the other trainer out, which was something she'd never been able to do. And in such a short time, Bevan had mastered that slippery skill. "Iserno, go!"

*​

"A Murder of Honchkrow," noted a voice vaguely while staring out the window. "I suppose that's an omen of something?"

"I think the word 'augury' describes it better," said another voice.

The first man was pulled around, and jabbed softly in the throat with a long, immaculate sword. In one clean motion, the assassin swung the blade, decapitating the victim in a clean swipe.

A massacre, not unlike the one five years ago, was beginning…

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
"I'd noticed,"

I notice, sounds correct.

slays the evil dragon.

Just an idea, did you want to mention a pokemon here?

while his had only had a month

Can get rid of the first had. Or perhaps even better: While his had had only a month.

I think I liked this battle the best so far, in terms of its coherence, simplicity, and that it works.

Also... love the impending doom mention at the end. XD

Also, I'm not sure if Charlotte wants to save Bevan, or stick a fork in his eye. XD But I think it is the former.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Feign said:
"I'd noticed,"

I notice, sounds correct.
Hmmm... I've always heard "I'd noticed" in situations like this... o.o;

Feign said:
slays the evil dragon.

Just an idea, did you want to mention a pokemon here?
Heh... good idea. ;D

Feign said:
while his had only had a month

Can get rid of the first had. Or perhaps even better: While his had had only a month.
*fixed*

Feign said:
I think I liked this battle the best so far, in terms of its coherence, simplicity, and that it works.
So did I. XD I was worried, because this one really needed to get it right. XD;

Feign said:
Also... love the impending doom mention at the end. XD
Thanks. ;D

Feign said:
Also, I'm not sure if Charlotte wants to save Bevan, or stick a fork in his eye. XD But I think it is the former.
Heh, I know how you feel. She seems like she wants to help him, but there's something not quite right about the way she acts, isn't there? ;D [/teaser]

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Hmmm... I've always heard "I'd noticed" in situations like this... o.o;

I guess if we put it back in long form it would look like: I had noticed, which I suppose makes sense, but for some reason (I dunno if it's correct to say but) "I'd have noticed" sounds more correct in that form. Mind you, in this case you've already mentioned it was in the past, so you don't really need to do it twice. Perhaps we need a second opinion XD

Heh, I know how you feel. She seems like she wants to help him, but there's something not quite right about the way she acts, isn't there? ;D [/teaser]

Lol... Her backstory with her family... Assuming it will be another woe story though >.>

*heres hoping she slaughtered her own family against her will* >.> *shakes things up*

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Feign said:
I guess if we put it back in long form it would look like: I had noticed, which I suppose makes sense, but for some reason (I dunno if it's correct to say but) "I'd have noticed" sounds more correct in that form. Mind you, in this case you've already mentioned it was in the past, so you don't really need to do it twice. Perhaps we need a second opinion XD
Perhaps. XD; It's supposed to be sarcastic, but maybe it's just dialect. :s

Feign said:
Lol... Her backstory with her family... Assuming it will be another woe story though >.>
Ah, but you know the backstory with her family. But, even with this, something is out of place. Something I haven't told you (the reader) yet. >:D And, I can tell you now, it's not a woe story, although it is an interesting one.

Feign said:
*heres hoping she slaughtered her own family against her will* >.> *shakes things up*
I refer you to Chapter 11. ;D

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Chapter Twenty: A Song of Solitude
Iserno, the Pokémon which Charlotte had just sent out, was a fierce lion. He was a ragged golden, his eyes determined and his teeth bared. Iserno stepped forward, growling at the Venomoth. His fur was incredibly hot, releasing a constant stream of warm steam, creating a hazy atmosphere around itself.

"Venomoth, Psybeam!"

Venomoth released the multicoloured beams of psychic energy from its eyes, which hit the floor, as Iserno easily dodged it. Bevan felt his hand tingle.

"Again!"

Venomoth thought it was odd that he'd retry a failing strategy, but nevertheless, the lavender moth obeyed, firing a second round of Psybeam. Only this time, when Iserno went to jump out of the way, he found his front paws incapable of movement, causing him to trip, right into Venomoth's Psybeam. She doesn't know about my… abilities. And what better way to practice?

Charlotte had a dazed look on her face, but quickly recovered. "Smoke Plume!" Iserno leapt forward, its fur releasing a thick, black, toxic smoke.

"Flap it away!"

Bevan's lack of knowledge of Venomoth's anatomy was his weakness. Venomoth, already tired, feebly flapped her wings, but to little avail. The smoke enveloped her, and she twitched with the poison, as it began to seep in, carried by the smoke, through Venomoth's pores.

"Flame Wheel!"

Venomoth, trying blindly to escape the smoke, was met with a charging lion, surrounded by a twirl of flames.

"Sleep Powder!"

Too late. Iserno had already collided with Venomoth, searing her body and left wing. She tried, rather nobly, to flap up, but her attempts were useless. All she could do was collapse.

Damn. I didn't know Venomoth well enough.

"Fine," said Bevan, recalling Venomoth. "Gliscor, go!"

The purple flying scorpion Pokémon emerged, growling. He hadn't quite caught on to his master's renewed apathy, and was proud to fight for Bevan.

"Night Slash!"

Gliscor hurled himself towards Iserno, his massive claws glowing a dark purple. Upon his trainer's command, Iserno gracefully leapt out of the way, but was struck by Gliscor's second claw, which spun around with surprising speed. Iserno stumbled, but didn't fall. This one's not going down easily, thought Bevan coolly.

"Smoke Plume!"

"Swords Dance!"

Gliscor swung his body powerfully in a circular motion, scraping his claws against his body and each other. Not only did these powerful motions swish away the smoke with ease, they sharpened his claws and sent a rush of adrenaline through him, making him stronger.

Charlotte noticed the threat. "Agility!"

"Night Slash!"

Gliscor powerfully swung his arms towards his opponent, but Iserno leapt into the air with grace and speed, dodging Gliscor's attack. The lion began to run across the room tirelessly, ready to strike at his trainer's order.

"Stay, Gliscor. Don't try to follow him."

Charlotte smiled. Bevan had no idea how to deal with an Agility-based attack. You never stood in place, you made use of the environment to make it difficult to be attacked. He was learning fast, but at his core, he was still a rookie.

"Flame Wheel!"

"Swords Dance!"

It was a clever move: Swords Dance attacked from all directions. It was true that Bevan had no experience with Agility, but he knew that a targeted attack like Night Slash would surely miss. Swords Dance would do less damage, but it was a more assured hit.

Iserno, surrounded by a magnificent, orange wheel of flames, charged at his spinning target. Both took damage: Gliscor's claw was burned, and Iserno was knocked to the floor.

"Night Slash!"

Strengthened by two Swords Dances, Iserno thumped both of his claws down on his foe, but Iserno rolled to the left, and then to the right, to avoid the two strikes.

"Smoke Plume!"

Iserno's fur shuddered with the Pokémon's signature move, releasing poisonous black smoke. Gliscor, who was already leaning down, stumbled to rise away from the smoke, but could not. He let out a squeal as the poison seeped into his skin, and stumbled back.

"Forget the pain! Night Slash!"

"Flame Wheel!"

Forgetting the pain proved to be too difficult to Gliscor: before he could raise his claw, Iserno had charged at Gliscor, tackling him, surrounded by fire. Retaliating, Gliscor smacked Iserno stiffly across the head with its left claw. Iserno let out a mighty roar, before ripping into Gliscor with his teeth, without command.

"Iserno, back down!"

Panting, Iserno crept over to Gliscor, sniffed him, nodded to his trainer, and turned to face Bevan.

"Gliscor, return," said Bevan grimly. This one's taken down two of my Pokémon. I need to knock it out fast.

"Pupitar!"

Bevan threw his Pokéball, releasing his newly evolved Pupitar. I can trust Pupitar. Not only is he strong, but he has the fighting spirit. And, Iserno's tired. He doesn't stand a chance.

"Bite!"

"Dark Pulse!"

Iserno charged at Pupitar quickly, but he wasn't fast enough: he was struck by the wave of dark energy, and knocked off his feet. Iserno's eyes burned with fear, but he got up, ready to fight again.

In that instant, Bevan was taken back to when he was subjected to a Dark Pulse attack. He had no will to fight back – it filled him with fear and dread. But this Pokémon saw only his target: Pupitar. This Pokémon aimed for victory, and despite its tiredness, despite the power of the attack, it kept going. In the short second that Iserno got up to charge again, Bevan realised that that was what he wanted to be.

"Again!"

Pupitar released another Dark Pulse attack. This time, the staggering Iserno was no match: he was knocked back. He made several valiant attempts to rise, before eventually collapsing, unconscious. Bevan felt a twinge of empathy. No, he thought. Control yourself.

Charlotte returned Iserno. Her only Pokémon left was at a type disadvantage. But I can still win, she thought.

"Togetic!"

The adorable Pokémon emerged from its Pokéball, announcing her presence with a high-pitched trill. When it saw Pupitar, however, she realised that it was time for battle.

"Psychic!"

"Move closer," said Bevan calmly.

Pupitar didn't understand this command, but he rocketed himself through the air nonetheless, to be struck directly by Togetic's Psychic attack.

As he fell back, Bevan yelled, "Payback!"

Immediately, Pupitar shuddered with rage, adrenaline coursing through his body, and he flung himself wildly at Togetic. Togetic, terrified, tried to escape, but Pupitar caught her, and began slamming himself against her repeatedly.

"Shadow Ball!" Charlotte's voice was getting desperate.

Togetic released a ball of ghostly energy inaccurately, and Pupitar easily moved aside. But the rage from Payback had subsided. They were now staring each other down, both beginning to get tired.

"Water Pulse!"

"Dark Pulse!"

Togetic squealed, releasing a circle of shuddering water, which was immediately destroyed by Pupitar's wave of dark energy.

"Again!" As he said it, Bevan released a wave of his own psychic energy to immobilise Togetic's wings. They were easy enough to hold in place, and made escape from the relentless wave of nightmares difficult.

She couldn't handle the attack like Iserno could: she squealed and writhed in pain, like Bevan had when he was attacked by Gengar.

"Again!" He was relentless, continuing to cheat, holding the enemy Pokémon in place with his own, relatively secret, psychic abilities. Another wave of darkness washed over Togetic. She tried to squeal, but couldn't. She tried to writhe, but she was still.

She had passed out from shock.

Charlotte rushed over to her Togetic, stroking her softly and speaking to her. She picked her Togetic up, and glared at Bevan. "Congratulations. You won." She paused, and then almost hissed the sentence, "But at what cost?"

*​

"Ah, I've been expecting you," smiled Manfred. It was the day after the battle between Bevan and Charlotte.

"Because you're in my room, waiting for me, knowing I forgot my watch?"

Manfred winked. "So, what's new?"

Bevan rolled his eyes and reached for his watch, only to find a force field around it. "You only get your watch if you listen to me." This was always a feature of Manfred that drove people mad: he would give people his advice, whether they wanted it or not.

Bevan leaned in. "Fine. I'll just have to experience the torture of having to ask someone else for the time." He turned to leave, and found the door immovable.

"Yeah… I sort of lied about the part where you had a choice."

Bevan leaned against the door defiantly, stared at Manfred, and said, "Let's get this over with."

"I grew up in rural Johto, Bevan."

"And I care, why?"

"Because when I grew up, there was this boy in our village who was short. And we used to pick on him for it. We picked on people for being different, you see. We didn't understand that differences were OK."

"And Torcra does?"

"In terms of things like race and height, Torcra's quite tolerant. It's only intolerant to different ideas. But anyway, he hated us for it. He said that he couldn't help that he was short, and we should stop bullying him."

"You were a bully?"

"I was a kid."

"And a bully?"

"I suppose I was. Like everyone else there. I've grown up since then."

Bevan sneered. "Bullies attack those who are weaker than themselves in order to boost their own ego. It's pathetic."

"Would you say that you hate bullies?" Manfred smiled insincerely.

"Hate is as irrational as bullying." Bevan was lying. Perhaps he could block out most emotion, but the one thing that he had hated throughout his life was bullies. He hated his father for it. He hated himself for being a victim.

"Liar."

"And yet you're still here."

"Because I fear that hate will fade. And, if you keep this up, it will. Even Cyrus didn't give up all emotion overnight. And he still destroyed the world."

"Wait – I thought your grandfather started your cult?"

"No. The cult was started by me, when I emigrated. Back in Johto, the teachings were pure and real. In Torcra, I had to taint my words and create an effective prison in order to carry the word of Giratina. But nice of you to take an interest."

Bevan looked away, bored. "Get to the point."

"Ah, yes. The boy we teased. A new family moved to our village. And they had a son our age. He was a midget. And, guess what happened?"

"Is there going to be a moral to the story that relates even slightly to me?"

"You're taking the fun out of it, Bevan. You're a teenager. Lighten the hell up." Manfred spoke jovially, but provocatively.

"Get on with it, you old fraud."

A moment of darkness crossed Manfred's face, before he returned to his signature smile. "We made fun of the midget. Even the short kid, who had proclaimed that height didn't matter before, was now teasing this poor boy. He once told us, in front of this boy, that the reason Arceus created short people was to keep midgets in their place."

"What's your point?"

"That he sacrificed a part of his humanity, in this case, his principles, to be stronger. You are sacrificing a part of your humanity in order to be stronger. Your emotion. We like to think of ourselves as evolved, but if I had to sacrifice my principles or my emotion, I'd tie my principles up, smear it with Houndoom blood, dance around it and wait for the heavens to strike 'em down."

A darkness crossed Bevan's face. "I don't want to be human. Humanity allowed themselves to be controlled by the Oligarchy."

Manfred realised it was time for a desperate ploy. He had to evoke emotion from Bevan. "Do you want to know how your mother really died? When she was taken away, she was put in a men's prison in Catriz. You do the math. She lived a coward and died their *****."

At that moment, Manfred was thrown across the room psychically. He screamed in pain: he had landed on his leg and broken his tibia. It was the most overwhelming psychic force that he had ever felt: even more powerful than that of Augury. And yet, he was happy: that came from anger, which in turn came from love. Bevan was not dead inside. Not yet.

He said weakly. "Get… Cicero. Tell him to fix my leg and get your psychic powers checked."

Bevan stood at the door before leaving. "If you want your leg fixed… crawl there yourself." And, after all that, he still didn't have his watch.
*​

Samantha Lincoln, the Ears of the Oligarchy. The Ears was a very auxiliary position: she ran the domestic spy network, and helped to manage the foreign spy network. Her public face was kind, but her heart was black.

"You have nothing for me?" Augury was livid.

"My Lord, they are impossible to find." Her voice trembled with a strange mixture of fear and resentment. She knew that her power would diminish when Lord Augury named himself the autocrat, but she knew that if she defied him, she would die. "But what about that agent I discovered?"

"A fake! He was slaughtered by the Moonlight Squad, and he was a key person for the setting up of the Brain's new prison in Ruraya Town. The Knife left false clues, and you fell for it."

"Are you going to kill me?" She wanted to know.

"Don't be ridiculous. I don't kill people for one act of incompetence." He stood still, and stroked his gloved hand against Samantha. It was not romantic, or affectionate. It was just creepy. "But continue this pattern, and I'll rip your spine from your back." He said this in the sweetest whisper he could muster.

"Then where did Evan Emerit go?"

"He insisted on following his principles against me. I know you're not that stupid."

"No, my Lord."

"There is only one way to proceed, in order to catch The Knife. And, incidentally, it's the first step to my autocracy. We must declare martial law."

"That requires a unanimous – oh, right." She still hadn't gotten used to the fact that she was not the only Oligarch working for Augury.

"We will crack down on the entire region like Cronine does on its slums. The military and Cloaks will roam the street. I'll have Susan set up a division in Unit 6."

"So, are you going to repeat the Ozoldra massacre?"

The Ozoldra massacre. People didn't like to talk about it, and few knew of it. Five years ago, when Cicero had come out of hiding, he had revealed to a news station the true nature of the Oligarchy. Evan Emerit had laughingly described Augury as 'He who is Merely a Rumour', but now, that name struck terror into the hearts of those who knew of him. In response, Susan Adams, under the direction of Augury, had lead a witch-hunt throughout the capital, killing those who posed a threat to his secrecy.

"The Ozoldra massacre will pale in comparison to what I have planned," said Augury. "Before it was death with a purpose. Now it is death for the sake of fear."

"My Lord, is it really wise…?"

"I thought you had a political radar, Samantha. I will have you all declare martial law, and rally the people in support. Then, as it becomes brutal, and the people get silently restless, I take over."

"How will you take over in that mask? And with that voice?"

Augury chuckled. "Because, to the public, I will be an experiment of the Brain's brutal experiments, championing freedom. I'll simply return things to how they are now. After a year or so of the martial law I have planned, it will almost seem libertarian." It almost seemed like it should be punctuated with an evil laugh.

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Iserno charged at Pupitar quickly, but he wasn't fast enough: he was struck by the wave of dark energy, and knocked off his feet. His eyes burned with fear, but he got up, ready to fight again.

Just a bit of pronoun confusion here (subject - object importance)

This time, the staggering Iserno was no match: he was knocked back, unconscious. He made several valiant attempts to rise, before eventually collapsing.

Just order in events here, I don't think it can be unconcious and trying to stand up. ;)

Perhaps because I am tired, and it is late, but the Pokemon battle did seem a little bit turn-based. Not the whole thing, just punctuating parts.

Otherwise I like the various character build ups of Bevan in this chapter (as you promised to deliver, and you did). :)

If a brick wall is the block of the emotions, Bevan is indeed building it at a fast pace. ;)

It's funny though, Bevan to me, despite what he has been through, and what he is trying to attain, is still quite Naive...

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Obligatory pirate part: Y'argh, Feign. Me thanks be with ye fer reviewin'.

Obligatory serious part:

Feign said:
Just a bit of pronoun confusion here (subject - object importance)
Fixed~

Feign said:
Just order in events here, I don't think it can be unconcious and trying to stand up.
THIS IS ALL A DREAM.

Fixed. :P

Feign said:
Perhaps because I am tired, and it is late, but the Pokemon battle did seem a little bit turn-based. Not the whole thing, just punctuating parts.
Hmm, there is a certain turn-based nature, even in "real" Pokémon battles (lol), albeit an imperfect one. I don't think it seems too turn-based - would you mind re-confirming tomorrow when you're not tired, to see whether it is the result of that?

Feign said:
Otherwise I like the various character build ups of Bevan in this chapter (as you promised to deliver, and you did). :)
My promises tend to be unreliable unless I've already written the chapter. XD; However, when I made that promise, I already had. XD; [/way ahead]

Feign said:
If a brick wall is the block of the emotions, Bevan is indeed building it at a fast pace. ;)
He is. It was quite slow at first, a vague resolution, and then cemented by a traumatic event. But, as you'll see in the next chapter (and, in this chapter, as well) there are a few nooks and crannies in the wall. Did you think it was ineffective/unrealistic?

Feign said:
It's funny though, Bevan to me, despite what he has been through, and what he is trying to attain, is still quite Naive...
Naivety/idealism vs. realism is a medium-level-of-importance theme in this story, and Bevan is sort of the champion of naivete, mainly due to his insulated and polarised (he's been exposed to two caregivers: Evan and Dagger) life. I'm glad you picked up on that, because it's one of his more subtle struggles in the book - the struggle with dealing with the real world vs. his idealised version of it. And, as you've seen, while the former hasn't changed, the latter has, quite significantly.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Heave ho, response me go!

Obligatory pirate part: Y'argh, Feign. Me thanks be with ye fer reviewin'.

Obligatory serious part:

Fixed~

THIS IS ALL A DREAM.

Fixed. :P

Hmm, there is a certain turn-based nature, even in "real" Pokémon battles (lol), albeit an imperfect one. I don't think it seems too turn-based - would you mind re-confirming tomorrow when you're not tired, to see whether it is the result of that?

Thar she be shipshape! She is a beaut. No scurvy piece of eight for me comments!

My promises tend to be unreliable unless I've already written the chapter. XD; However, when I made that promise, I already had. XD; [/way ahead]

Best she be kept that way... Savvy!?

He is. It was quite slow at first, a vague resolution, and then cemented by a traumatic event. But, as you'll see in the next chapter (and, in this chapter, as well) there are a few nooks and crannies in the wall. Did you think it was ineffective/unrealistic?

She's sailing high seas mate! Steer me clear of Davy Jone's locker and ye old salt be takin' her home!

Naivety/idealism vs. realism is a medium-level-of-importance theme in this story, and Bevan is sort of the champion of naivete, mainly due to his insulated and polarised (he's been exposed to two caregivers: Evan and Dagger) life. I'm glad you picked up on that, because it's one of his more subtle struggles in the book - the struggle with dealing with the real world vs. his idealised version of it. And, as you've seen, while the former hasn't changed, the latter has, quite significantly.

Well laddie find me ye treasure and bring me yonder rum, and thar be no seance for a parlay, yah hear? Be keepin' busy, or I be throwin' you with the sharks!

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Feign said:
Thar she be shipshape! She is a beaut. No scurvy piece of eight for me comments!
Excellent. ^^

Feign said:
Best she be kept that way... Savvy!?
I would reply to that, but it would be a major spoiler. XD;

Feign said:
Well laddie find me ye treasure and bring me yonder rum, and thar be no seance for a parlay, yah hear?
I understood all the words in that, although I can't help but think it was pirate talk for the sake of pirate talk.

Win. :D

Feign said:
Be keepin' busy, or I be throwin' you with the sharks!
Well, I can afford to take a bit of a break - I'm three chapters ahead. XD; (Albeit draft ones.)

EDIT: 1337+500 posts XD;

Nudge

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
Hey its me again
Just read the newer 2-3 chapters that i haven't read yet and yet again i love them :D
Charlotte trying to kiss Bevan and gettin rejected, pure gold lol
And Bevan just turning more and more into Cyrus good idea for the story, is he possibly a decendent of Cyrus? o_O
Also i loved Bevan's psychic abilities progressing and him using them to defeat Charlotte in that battle, yet again pure gold
I cant wait to see his powers, and pokemon, progress even more :D
How long till the next chapter do u think?

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
AllTimeLow1 said:
Just read the newer 2-3 chapters that i haven't read yet and yet again i love them :D
Charlotte trying to kiss Bevan and gettin rejected, pure gold lol
Thank you. :D

AllTimeLow1 said:
And Bevan just turning more and more into Cyrus good idea for the story, is he possibly a decendent of Cyrus? o_O
I can dispel this idea now - he's not. I don't think it's plausible that Cyrus would have had a family, to be honest. XD;

AllTimeLow1 said:
How long till the next chapter do u think
Actually, I just need to proofread the next chapter (probably more carefully than the previous ones, because there's a risk that the last scene might be too academic/complex). However, I was planning to post it today (New Zealand today, mind you), which means sometime within the next seven hours. :P Realistically, though, I'll probably have it proofread and up within the next one or two. ^-^

Nudge

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
I can dispel this idea now - he's not. I don't think it's plausible that Cyrus would have had a family, to be honest. XD;

Cyrus could have a one night stand b4 ridding himself of emotion, he's only human after all :P lol

Actually, I just need to proofread the next chapter (probably more carefully than the previous ones, because there's a risk that the last scene might be too academic/complex). However, I was planning to post it today (New Zealand today, mind you), which means sometime within the next seven hours. :P Realistically, though, I'll probably have it proofread and up within the next one or two. ^-^

Ok then kewl azz, u guys are about 2-3hrs behind us ova here in Aus rnt u? Or are u 2-3hrs ahead?
Either way ill probs just read it on my fone then give u a review tmoz when i get on the computer lol

Till next time, Catch ya

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Chapter Twenty-One: If Only
Bevan walked over to Charlotte, where she was training. He'd just been told by Cicero that his psychic powers had taken an unexpected turn: they were far more powerful than anything they'd ever seen in a human before. For him to be able to knock over an experienced psychic with little practice was, as Cicero put it, 'absolutely phenomenal.'

"Charlotte."

Charlotte turned around, and had a slight frown on her face. "H-hi, Bevan."

He moved closer to her. "I'm sorry, Charlotte. I didn't mean to be cruel to you, or your Pokémon."

"I'm sorry, too. Bevan. I overreacted." She smiled, then turned to her Roselia, who was practicing her Giga Drain. "Roselia, return!" She turned back to Bevan. "Can we talk in private?"

"So, I heard what you did to Manfred," said Charlotte, as they walked. She said it in a joking tone, which was not reciprocated.

"It was foolish of me. He lied to me about how my mother died – Dagger confirmed it for me when I was in Cicero's office."

"I gotta tell you, though," laughed Charlotte, "I would've loved to have done that to him when I was in his cult. But, what troubles me, Bevan, is that you didn't tell me that you have psychic powers."

She opened the door to her small bedroom, and they went inside. "Oh – I'm… uh…. I forgot." It had genuinely slipped his mind earlier, but he had felt no guilt about using it to his advantage in their battle.

Charlotte smiled sadly. "It's as if we're drifting apart, Bevan." She sat down. "Have you really given up emotion?"

"I… I'm trying to. But, as Manfred demonstrated last night… I haven't."

Charlotte nodded. "And what about happiness? And our friendship?"

"I don't see what happiness has to do with friendship."

"Bevan, the reason we make friends is to be happy. If you can't feel happiness, or affection, how can you honestly say that you're my friend?"

Bevan sat down next to Charlotte, and considered it for about a minute. "I… I think you're my hedge against darkness. I need to keep my friendship with you. My emotion for you, I can control. My emotion for everything around me, and for the past, I cannot." He flopped down, laying on his back. "As you saw, the anger and love I feel for my mother can only weigh me down. Everyday emotion does the same. I don't want to give into my feelings, or I will become depressed. But for you, Charlotte, I have a spark of emotion. And I don't want it to go out."

She turned on her side, and whispered her next question to Bevan. "Is that why you wouldn't kiss me? Because you were afraid that your feelings for me would get out of control?"

Bevan shook his head. "If I could have that kind of relationship, I wouldn't need to separate myself from emotion in the first place. A spiral of depression would be inevitable. But you have to understand, I'm not ready to trust someone like that. I might not ever be."

Charlotte nodded sadly. "I understand."

*​

"My friends, dark times have fallen upon us." The new Voice stood before a large crowd, speaking into a microphone that send his lies booming across the masses. He was handsome, confident, and thoroughly entwined in Augury's scheme. Behind him stood the five other Oligarchs. "The Dagger terrorist is still at large, and is gaining followers. They call themselves The Knife, but they are no harmless kitchen utensil. They are a legion of terror, designed to bring us down."

He paused for dramatic effect. "They have killed hundreds of people, all of them innocent civilians, like yourselves. I ask you, fellow Torcrans, do we stand for this? Do we allow for terrorists to rule us, and decide when we live or die? I know I don't. But humour me – does anyone in this crowd want to be controlled by this group? Raise your hand."

He paused again, and then outstretched his hands, and laughed. "So, it seems that nobody here thinks that our lives should be controlled by this legion of terror. Then, you, the people, have spoken! And we have listened. We knew change was needed, because we saw the people of Torcra suffering. We knew that we couldn't allow it to go on.

"So, the Council of Oligarchs has unanimously voted to give the security systems of Torcra emergency powers, so that we can crush this group of murderers. Together, Torcra, we will help keep our families safe again!"

His short speech was punctuated by grateful applause, as the idiot masses clapped for the demise of what little freedom they had.

*​

Cicero sat by the bedside of Manfred. The latter's leg was elevated and bandaged. Cicero was intrigued by Manfred: he was clearly intelligent, but paranoid and superstitious. Manfred, although he'd never really talked to Cicero, didn't like him. Firstly, Cicero clearly had a superior mind, an indignity which Manfred rarely had to suffer. Secondly, Cicero was using his brilliance for all manner of elaborate and dangerous weapons.

"Your leg will be fine, Manfred. It is a closed, incomplete compound fracture that-"

"Leave it to a doctor to reduce a debilitating and painful injury to a technical description," laughed Manfred.

"You're on painkillers," said Cicero, his left eyebrow raised.

"You wouldn't happen to have any psychoactive painkillers, would you?" Manfred was smiling, testing Cicero. This was a man which he was going to have to endure for a long time, and he wanted to throw him off guard. It was a trick he'd learned from Augury: if you ever find yourself in a vulnerable position, make sure your adversary is more out of his depth than you are.

"You want to get high?"

"Psychic people can't get high, Cicero," winked Manfred. "Tried it once."

Cicero sat down next to his bed, intrigued. No wonder he's in here. If I was an angry adolescent with psychic powers, I might've done the same thing! "Did you mix in some dark Pokémon fur?"

"If you were any kind of scientist, you'd know that the ingestion of it would make me sick for a week."

"I'm sorry, I didn't realise drug users cared all that much about their health."

"Do you know about the two engineering students?"

"What possible relation –"

"None whatsoever. But I don't like you, Cicero, and I'm figuring you out."

"Awfully blunt," said Cicero, slightly taken aback.

Manfred chuckled. "But you like people telling you how it is. Bluntness for you is unexpected, but appreciated."

"While we're being blunt, I don't like you either. You're annoying, pompous, and insecure. You never grasp the gravity of any situation, instead turning it into a game, or a joke."

"The gravity of the situation? Things have gravity, not situations."

"It's a metaphor."

"Not an apt one." Manfred spotted a vase, psychically lifted it, released his grip, and the vase fell to the floor, smashing.

"Believe it or not," said Cicero, irritated, "I know how gravity works. You don't have to go smashing vases."

"Gravity is a physically observable phenomenon. It's tangible. It's there. Situations don't have gravity – their importance is self-imposed. Your mind manufactures the importance of freedom."

"As does yours."

"And that's why I want it. Bevan being emotionless is important to me, but it has no objective gravity. You see it as sad, but ultimately trivial."

"So you're justifying your mocking by saying that our plight for freedom is only subjectively important?"

"Trust you to miss the point entirely, Cicero. Freedom is objectively important: it is the natural situation that allows us to prosper."

"Is prospering objective?"

"Prospering to each person is subjective. The concept of prospering, to achieve one's goals, is very objective, imbued in all of us instinctually."

"So why mock it?"

"Because your offense to my mocking is subjective," said Manfred, giggling. "While freedom is objectively important, the importance one derives from it personally is not. So is the offence which you suffer when I mock your goals."

"How can freedom be objectively important? Surely too much freedom is –"

"You misunderstand again. The degree of freedom needed is subjective. The need for freedom is objective."

"But it could be argued that we already have enough freedom."

"It could. It's subjective, so the point's moot. Am I confusing you, Cicero?"

"No, just proving to me that you're more confused than a failing philosophy student. You're fighting for more freedom."

"Wrong again. I'm only here because my life depends on it.

"Besides, you confuse yourself with me. I don't have a vague and ill-defined system of morals – mine are clear. Yours, on the other hand, are questionable." Manfred laughed. "But enough about you. Ask me about the engineering student and his roommate."

"I'm not sure I want to." Cicero didn't like Manfred. He seemed so sure of himself, so content to live a life of morals without ethics. He held principles, but they were so ill-defined and vague that he never had to apply them practically. Then again, Cicero was the inverse: he lived a life without morals, but with ethics. It left him haphazardly applying social conventions to his work without a solid basis.

"Two college roommates, studying in Ozoldra City, were deeply infatuated with a young beauty at the school. Now, rather than ask the girl whether she was interested in either of them, they had a competition between themselves: whoever could spit the farthest won the girl.

"The law student spat across his flat quite far. The engineering student then said, 'I know that if my saliva has momentum, it will travel faster.' So, the engineering student charges towards where he wants to spit. As he ran, his glasses fell off, and he was momentarily distracted. He runs further than he wants to, twists, and falls over the mess on his floor, twisting his ankle."

"How do you even know this?"

"My daughter was the object of attraction. She had an interest in neither of them."

"So, how does this tie into everything we've been talking about?"

"When people are at stake, things get complicated. Smart people do stupid things, like run where there's mess on the floor. He was so overcome by her physical appearance, and armed with physics, that he lost common sense. Cicero. Your 'CWF' experiments, as you call them, deal with people's lives. It's made you nervous. You've tied it up in advanced ethical considerations, like the engineering student turned a spitting contest into a physics practical."

"I don't understand."

Manfred smiled. "Clever but clueless, as the greatest minds tend to be, Cicero. You're rationalising, trying to form utilitarian equations in your head in order to balance good and evil, as if they can be quantified. But you're missing the basics, Cicero. Your weapons will have massive deadly potential. Dagger, a callous assassin, will have them in his power. No further computation is required."

Cicero frowned. "You're oversimplifying."

Manfred smiled sadly. "If only, my friend. If only."

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Katherine said:
I lol'd at that. xP
Heh. :P Manfred tends to be the mood-lightener in here. XD;

Katherine said:
Great chapter, Citrinin.
Thanks, Katherine. ^^

Katherine said:
I love the releationship between Cicero and Manfred, and the depth you're adding to their characters.
That's good. :3 This chapter was like a "trial relationship" between the two, to see whether I could have Cicero be the person who pulls Manfred down to earth, and have Manfred act as Cicero's conscience. ^^ Was this the kind of impression that was beginning to form?

Last edited:

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
That's good. :3 This chapter was like a "trial relationship" between the two, to see whether I could have Cicero be the person who pulls Manfred down to earth, and have Manfred act as Cicero's conscience. ^^

Oh, is that what you're planning? I was hoping for an epic battle between the two. xP

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Katherine said:
Oh, is that what you're planning? I was hoping for an epic battle between the two. x
Of course, it will be an uneasy and tense relationship. Never could a relationship in this fic be simple and easy going. XD;

Unfortunately, neither of them have any Pokémon. The anime would like us to believe that everyone has a Pokémon waiting to be pulled out, but not these two. :P

Back