• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] He who is Merely a Rumour

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
  • The new prologue is awesome. I love it. :D

There was one thing I noticed though, you said Cyrus' hair was celadon. Although, in the canon, it's more of a light-ish steel blue.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Thanks. ^^

Admittedly, I was going on memory there. Evidently, it's been too long since I've played. XD' *fixed*

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Chapter Twenty-Five: Impact
    "Imagine, Christopher, that you are a bomb. What makes you powerful? … No, dear boy, not the impact. I may not be very wise, but this has been a bit of wisdom passed down from your Great-Great Grandfather. His name was Koga. A criminal by today's standards; a hero back then.

"Firstly, imagine the threat of a bomb. It causes panic. It makes people scared, for people have associated ideas with a bomb. These ideas are far more destructive than its release. Remember how I've always told you that mind overcomes body? … Good boy. This is the same. The feelings that people get from a laid explosive are, well, nasty. The impact is mundane, a mere confirmation of these fears. No, not a confirmation - an end. The release of a bomb simply lifts the fears of the public – it's already gone off. It can't threaten you.

"Now, imagine the aftermath of a bomb. The point of impact kills people. Wounds them if they're lucky. But what is the real effect? The families. Those hit by the explosion have people that love them. People that will forever be haunted by the loss of their family. The dead people go someplace else. They aren't useful anymore."

"No, I'm not telling you to be a criminal. We certainly don't need a Koga in these times. Most kids your age would be too young to understand this, but you're switched on. But his point was this: things aren't always as they appear."

Needless to say, that was not his point. And certainly not the point that Dagger took from his father's advice all those years ago. It was this advice, that Dagger received at the tender age of eleven, that spurred him on to do what was right. In his darkest hours, he would always think back to the time when he heard of his ancestor.

*​

It's incredible how much can happen in a split second.

It was the time that it took for Luxray to hear its master's command, process it, aim at Bevan, and fire a paralytic charge of electricity. It was also the time it took for Bevan to send a vicious wave of psychic energy at Luxray, knocking it back and throwing the Thunder Wave in a completely different direction. All exits were sealed except two. Rex was standing in one. He'd forgotten to close the one that the Squad member had come through.

Taking his chance, Bevan shot off, flying through the air. He still hadn't gotten used to the speed and odd sense of flying, but it sure beat getting paralysed and dragged back to Augury's laboratory for inspection.

Rex grimaced, returning his Pokémon, and then shot off himself, rocketing through the air. He was moving faster than Bevan. The gap was closing. Smaller, smaller, and boom!

Rex was knocked to the floor by an enraged Iserno. Charlotte had heard the commotion through the hallway and set up an ambush for Augury's second.

Adrenaline pumping, Rex threw Iserno off violently, and went to snap its neck.

"Flame Wheel!"

Iserno launched again at his opponent, the thrill of the fight burning in his eyes. Rex leapt out of the way with superhuman speed and tensed, sending a psychic pulse at Iserno, tossing it across the room. It snarled in pain, rising.

The sight was terrifying. The concept of a human facing a Pokémon was completely alien to most people. But here Rex was, fighting off a determined and powerful Pokémon with his own physical and psychic strength. This raw power made it clear to Charlotte why he was Augury's second, and not just another henchman.

Charlotte took a quick glance. Bevan had gone.

"Smoke Plume!"

Iserno launched himself towards Rex, his pores opening, releasing a toxic and painful smoke. Rex leapt out of the way with ease, but was beginning to get tired. He fingered a Pokéball, a momentary distraction. A small moment in time, where he let his guard down so that a Pokémon might battle for him.

And it was that moment, by an incredible stroke of luck, that Bevan launched into the room from another hall, his Gliscor flying beside him. As Bevan had left, he saw the act of sacrifice that Charlotte had made for him. Perhaps it was sentiment that lead him back. Perhaps it was the idea that he shouldn't set a precedent that he would desert those that helped him. But it caused him to find another path through the building, so he could surprise attack Rex.

Gliscor launched himself speedily at Rex, claws bared, and as the latter turned, he felt the full force of this mighty scorpion clamp down on him. Angrily, Rex launched himself into the air, barely managing to break out of Gliscor's grip.

He would have been able to fight his way out of Bevan and Charlotte, but with a sense of horror, he realised that Dagger was fast approaching. Premonition, a side-effect of telepathy, was coming in handy. A tactical retreat was in order: he flew speedily out of the room without warning. I'll isolate them later.

Bevan looked at Rex with confusion, and went to chase after him. Then, he felt it too. An unknown force of great power. But friendly. Dagger.

When he walked in, Bevan asked, "Status?"

"Sending a second wave in. One man down. Several guards dead. Two Cloaks. Two architects. Squad member dead." He said the last part with more than a little pride, gazing at the fresh blood stain on his hands.

*​

"Let me out."

"Madam Eyes, this is…"

"You think I can't handle myself on the battlefield?" She was sneering at the Cloak who protested. "If I become a damsel-in-distress, Augury will kill me anyway, after he takes over. She drew a Pokéball. Let me out of the safe room."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Rapidash," she said, releasing her Pokémon. Usually, Rapidash were beautiful, majestic creatures. But not this one. It snarled with fury at nothing in particular. "Atta girl," she said, climbing onto her, and pulling a pistol from her cloak. She kicked the side gently, and off they went into the building, ready to slaughter the enemies of the state.

It only took about a minute of riding before she heard it. The fall of a guard without the sound of fire. She knew that it was a gun equipped with a silencer, and no guard had one of those. Smirking, she aimed her own gun at the corner.

A Knife member emerged with a Banette, raising a green shield of Protect, deflecting the bullet.

"Shadow Ball!"

"Agility!"

Banette threw a blob of dark energy at Rapidash, but it didn't have a hope of hitting it: Rapidash disappeared in a blur. Banette looked around, and every time it caught a glimpse of the fiery horse, it disappeared from sight. But it was getting closer, closer…

"Flamethrower!"

The Rapidash, with a demonic glint in her eyes, opened her mouth, releasing a barrel of flames, leaving Banette scampering away. The Knife member went to aim at Susan, but he was outdrawn: he was stopped by a bullet in his skull. As he collapsed, Susan felt an overwhelming thrill. In her tenure as The Eyes, she had ordered the deaths of many. But it had been years since she'd personally killed someone.

The buzz of schadenfreude of the cruelest kind lighting her eyes, she rode on. Let's see them face me.

*​

In some divine joke, Bevan was the only member of The Knife in the building who had only killed one person. It wasn't that he wanted to kill people for the sake of killing them, but because he wanted to prove to himself that he could. Even those who had obvious emotions had taken several lives; it should be easy for him. In theory.

He was now alone, searching for Rex. Instead, he found a guard. Or, more accurately, was found by the guard.

"Freeze!"

Bevan rose his hands.

"Turn around slowly."

Something as strong as a desire to kill, Bevan would have felt. Rather, he felt a desire to capture. A curiosity. Bevan was to be interrogated. It made sense: a lone Knife member walking without his gun out poses little threat. Why not question him?

If only he'd known that Bevan didn't need a gun.

Bevan slowly rotated, his hands in the air.

"On your knees!"

"On your belly," he whispered to himself, snapping the guard's neck. He'd always heard about this classic method of killing as a three-hundred and sixty degree rotation. Bevan's wasn't nearly so graceful. Rather, it was more of a half turn, his neck hanging limply. And, contrary to Bevan's instructions, the Guard died on his back.

Bevan shrugged. "That works too," he said to himself, taking his ID card. Bevan would have never thought he could have killed a man a year ago. But now, he did it without a second thought. It was so impersonal, so cold, so distant. He didn't even bother to rationalise it, like so many other members of the Knife found themselves doing. It was easy.

He looked up, hearing the sound of hooves clomping against the concrete floor. Not hearing in the usual sense, but through clairaudience: he'd heard it psychically. And sure enough, a few seconds later, his physical ears heard it as well. He stuck his back against the wall, and quietly released his Pupitar.

Susan Adams. She's coming. He just knew it.

"I heard that," a smooth voice in the distance taunted.

The sound of hooves got closer, closer. Bevan mouthed "Sandstorm" to his Pupitar, who nodded in understanding. The plan was simple: throw Susan and her Pokémon off-guard while Bevan personally killed her. Not only because he had to. But as payback for Charlotte's family.

Bevan nodded, and Pupitar jumped out into the next room, releasing a torrent of sand. The shades of brown whipped through the room, and Rapidash raised herself on her back legs in a futile attempt to get above the sharp, roaring sand.

Stepping through it, Bevan went to snap Susan's neck with his own psychic abilities, but missed entirely. Instead, he attacked one of Rapidash's front legs, twisting it painfully. Rapidash screamed in pain, and Pupitar, exhausted from the long release of sand, closed its mouth for a gasp of air. The sand cleared, and Susan spotted her opponent, firing two shots.

Bevan flew up out of the way, avoiding both.

Susan mouthed to herself in disbelief at this flying terrorist, before recovering from the shock. She aimed her gun at this now moving target, but it was knocked out of her hand telekinetically. But, she thought as she watched her weapon fly into the wall, we're supposed to be the ones with the psychics!

"Flamethrower!"

Rapidash aimed upwards, sending a stream of brilliant flames at Bevan, who flew at Susan, avoiding the flames. He was trying to replicate what Rex had done earlier: a human fighting a Pokémon. But it was almost absurdly difficult: a Pokémon struck by a Flamethrower attack is temporarily injured. A human would meet an infernal grave.

Rapidash roared hideously, charging at her foe. Bevan tried to curve away, but Rapidash was too quick: he was knocked onto the floor, and skidded to the wall, unconscious. Pupitar, who had been sitting there, confused and not sure what to do, launched himself at Rapidash. The latter kicked him aside casually, whinnying with glee at defeating two opponents. This was no ordinary Rapidash.

"Let's unmask you," said Susan to her unconscious opponent as she dismounted. She pulled off his mask, and smiled with glee. "If I knew it was you, Emerit," she said, reaching into her cloak, "I wouldn't have tried to shoot you." She pulled out a knife. "Far too impersonal," she said, holding it to his heart.

Suddenly, the knife flew out of her hand.

"You should be in the safe room," said Rex, a cold fury in his voice.

"I caught Emerit," said Susan defiantly. "You needed me."

"He stays alive."

"You're not taking this death away from me, Rex," she sneered.

Rex smacked her across the face with the back of his hand. He was one of two people in the entire region that could do that without meeting some elaborate torture. She turned her face back, snarling, almost inhumanly. "Idiot woman, did you not see his psychic powers? Augury will want him."

Susan looked down at Bevan. She was so close.

"Step away. Emerit's going to Lord Augury."

*​

In another world, one where time stands still and space is unstable, a beast awoke after over a decade of rest, roaring in rage. In the world of humans, he is merely a tyrant. Merely a rumour, if I recall correctly. He is about to become more… more than the people of Torcra, and the world, could have ever anticipated from a human…

Last edited:

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • Time for one of my very first full scale reviews. :D

"Imagine, Christopher, that you are a bomb. What makes you powerful? … No, dear boy, not the impact. I may not be very wise, but this has been a bit of wisdom passed down from your Great-Great Grandfather. His name was Koga. A criminal by today's standards; a hero back then.

Funny thing about this is the fact that I was thinking about possibly making a character in my fic a decendant/relative of Koga. And a prototype name I had for him was Chris. :O Don't worry though, I scraped the whole 'related to Koga' thing already. :P

Needless to say, that was not his point. And certainly not the point that Dagger took from his father's advice all those years ago. It was this advice, that Dagger received at the tender age of eleven, that spurred him on to do what was right. In his darkest hours, he would always think back to the time when he heard of his ancestor.

Awesome to see a bit of Dagger's background by the way.

Gliscor launched himself speedily at Rex, claws bared, and as the latter turned, he felt the full force of this mighty scorpion crash into him. Angrily, Rex launched himself into the air, barely managing to break out of Gliscor's grip.

I'm a bit iffy about this. You say Gliscor crashes into Rex, then afterwards he breaks out of his grasp. Why not make it: 'he felt the full force of this mighty scorpion clamp down on him'.

"Sending a second wave in. One man down. Several guards dead. Two Cloaks. Two architects. Squad member dead." He said the last part with more than a little pride, gazing at the most fresh blood stain on his hands.

Should that 'most' be there? :S

"Rapidash," she said, releasing her Pokémon. Usually, Rapidash were beautiful, majestic creatures. But not this one. It snarled with fury at nothing in particular. "Atta girl," she said, climbing on her, and pulling a pistol from her cloak. She kicked the side gently, and off they went into the building, ready to slaughter the enemies of the state.

That would sound better as 'climbing onto her'.

Other than those few... things, this was a great chapter. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Kevin said:
    Funny thing about this is the fact that I was thinking about possibly making a character in my fic a decendant/relative of Koga. And a prototype name I had for him was Chris. :O Don't worry though, I scraped the whole 'related to Koga' thing already. :P
    Wow. XD; Someone's been hacking into my computer. XD

Kevin said:
    Awesome to see a bit of Dagger's background by the way.
    Yeah, I thought it was time to get inside Dagger's head, to see what drives him. ^^

Kevin said:
    I'm a bit iffy about this. You say Gliscor crashes into Rex, then afterwards he breaks out of his grasp. Why not make it: 'he felt the full force of this mighty scorpion clamp down on him'.
    I agree. ^^ *fixes*

Kevin said:
    Should that 'most' be there? :S
    No it shouldn't. XD

Kevin said:
    That would sound better as 'climbing onto her'.
    Agreed. ^^ *fixes*

Kevin said:
    Other than those few... things, this was a great chapter. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Thank you. ^_^

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Haha, very nice chapter (short review cause I gotta go to class XD).

The battles were indeed fun to read.

Not sure if it is a mistake, or explained later, but Susan called Bevan, Emerit a few times.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Feign said:
    The battles were indeed fun to read.
    That's good to hear. XD; It's good to know I've improved since the earlier chapters. :P

Feign said:
    Not sure if it is a mistake, or explained later, but Susan called Bevan, Emerit a few times.
    His last name. Should I perhaps add a snippet of information reminding the reader of that?

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Susan did much better than I thought she was against Bevan. When I was reading, I was like this is going to be a snap (omg pun) for Bevan. Things didn't go as well as Bevan thought either. Wow. Things are getting really good.

Rex did fantastically against a Pokemon. He's really living up to the hype. Great choice with giving him a Luxray. Luxray just fits well with anyone with a thirst for killing, don't you think. =)

Things are heating up since He who merely a rumor is stirring in the background of it all. I'm excited.

Great chapter. I wasn't expecting one so quickly. :P It was a pleasant surprise this morning.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Sgt Shock said:
    Susan did much better than I thought she was against Bevan. When I was reading, I was like this is going to be a snap (omg pun) for Bevan. Things didn't go as well as Bevan thought either. Wow. Things are getting really good.
    Heh. She's powerful, alright. This chapter was just a taste of it. ;D You'll get to see it fully unleashed later. >:D

Sgt Shock said:
    Rex did fantastically against a Pokemon. He's really living up to the hype.
    Yes. I realised that this was the perfect opportunity to show just why he was Augury's second rather than being yet another goon. XD;

Sgt Shock said:
    Great choice with giving him a Luxray. Luxray just fits well with anyone with a thirst for killing, don't you think. =)
    I thought so. XD; And a Houndoom was waaaay too cliché. XD

Sgt Shock said:
    Things are heating up since He who merely a rumor is stirring in the background of it all. I'm excited.
    Heheheh. Indeed they are. I've got a lot planned for Part III, which is coming up next. :D (OK, well technically, the bridge is coming up next, but you won't be disappointed, in terms of excitement. ;D)

Thanks for the review. ^^

Nudge

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    I can't really give a good review at the moment as I don't have long on the computer but I'll give a very brief one.

I loved the whole Rex fighting a pokemon, and then Bevan trying to imitate it, now that was a stroke of genius lol
    Also it's great how his psychic powers are progressing and adapting, I can't wait till they get as strong as Rex's and he gets the opportunity to take him out.
    Yet again, love the action :D
    And Susan's ecstasy at realising she had Bevan in her grasp, good to read in my opinion.
    And lastly Bevan being able to kill so easily without a care in the world and not needing to rationalise it, that drew me in and got me curious as to how much his not caring could progress.

Anyways I have to go now so I'll catch you later buddy, love the chapter and keep doing what your doing :D
    ~AllTimeLow1

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • AllTimeLow1 said:
    I can't really give a good review at the moment as I don't have long on the computer but I'll give a very brief one.
    Hahaha, that's perfectly alright. ^^

AllTimeLow1 said:
    I loved the whole Rex fighting a pokemon, and then Bevan trying to imitate it, now that was a stroke of genius lol
    Thanks. ^^; I just thought it was the natural extension to have these superhuman people fighting Pokemon. XD;

AllTimeLow1 said:
    Also it's great how his psychic powers are progressing and adapting, I can't wait till they get as strong as Rex's and he gets the opportunity to take him out.
    Everybody's anticipating Rex's death. XD;

My first bit of unintentional foreshadowing, it seems~

AllTimeLow1 said:
    Yet again, love the action :D
    Thanks. ^^

AllTimeLow1 said:
    And Susan's ecstasy at realising she had Bevan in her grasp, good to read in my opinion.
    Yes - if you'll remember, she had to hold her bloodthirst for him in Chapter 11, and now again in Chapter 25.

(And then, in Chapter 26, something will happen, perhaps the inverse?)

AllTimeLow1 said:
    And lastly Bevan being able to kill so easily without a care in the world and not needing to rationalise it, that drew me in and got me curious as to how much his not caring could progress.
    I'm treading carefully here, so it's good to see that it's working. XD; Too much and I'll distance the reader; too little and his character doesn't have nearly the intrigue I want it to. XD;

AllTimeLow1 said:
    Anyways I have to go now so I'll catch you later buddy, love the chapter and keep doing what your doing :D
    Thank you. ^__^

By the way, you can expect the Bridge between Parts II and III in a few hours. I just need to proofread it. XD; (Don't worry, this Bridge is longer than any chapter I've written so far, and, in my opinion, far better. XD)

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Bridge: The Autocrat
    September 1, 100 AE
    Knife Base 4​

Charlotte arrived back, panting. It was a mixed result: they managed to destroy several important documents and kill many important architects, delaying martial law, but they hadn't prevented it.

She pulled off her helmet, and looked around, upset.

"Bevan?" She called out. "Bevan?" She looked around again. She couldn't see him. Her eyes watered. "Bevan? Bevan? Bevan!?"

The only way for her to fall asleep that night was to cry. To cry until the vigorous shakes of sorrow exhausted her.

September 2, 100 AE
    Augury's lair, Ozoldra City

"Y-you…" Bevan was cold, staring his enemy in the face. He was in a small cell, and had just woken from a deep sleep. The last thing he remembered was Rex.

"Ah, Bevan. I'm afraid to meet under such unfortunate circumstances."

Bevan stood, fearless. In fact, he was devoid of all emotion at this point. "It's not unfortunate. You caused this. What possible reason could you have to capture me? You're not even my father anymore, I hear."

"It's a little more complicated than that, Bevan. I am the combined spirit of your father's ambition and Giratina's fear. In a way, you are still my blood."

"But it's not enough to spare my life?"

Augury chuckled to himself, stepping closer. "No, Bevan. Not even close."

"Why take me prisoner, then? Why not have your goons slaughter me?"

"Your psychic powers, Bevan. Do you have any idea the potential that flows through your blood? Cicero, by a total accident, stumbled upon a technology that rivals my psychic abilities. Type AB blood, however… across the world, that is incredibly uncommon, but the incidence in Torcra these days is less than one-thousandth of a percent. Something to do with how our ancestors fought microorganisms."

"Huh? What?"

"Bevan, you have to understand something about your psychic powers. They are vast, but untapped. Without knowing it, you picked up on Cicero's lie by reading his mind. You just couldn't access it."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"He drugged you, Bevan. Your psychic powers were not inherited – such an idea is absurd. He experimented a new technology on you."

Bevan considered it. "Figures." He stood still for a minute, as if trying to absorb the anger which should have consumed him. "It all worked out, I suppose."

Augury stepped closer to Bevan, tilting his head in childlike curiosity. "I sense little anger, Bevan. Are you not infuriated that I killed your mother?"

"I've put emotion behind me."

"Most of it, anyway," whispered Augury to himself, enviously. He then spoke up, "So you'll have no problem joining me?"

Bevan scoffed. "You think I'll change allegiances that quickly?"

"Any rational person would, Bevan. Only emotion and sentiment would tie you to the Knife."

That, and the fact that Augury had killed his parents. But he reflected on that. He had not seen his mother in years. He had already released his anger on Manfred for that, and regretted it. If he refused to work with Augury now, it would be irrational to the extreme: he would be killed here and now. As for his father... Bevan never really liked him, anyway. It's difficult to get into Bevan's mindset, for someone who has emotion and sentiment. But this was the ultimate test for Bevan. And he was not going to fail. Not this time.

"Rationality keeps me from working for you. You have a habit of killing people who swear themselves to you."

"While we're employing logic, let's look at why I kill people, shall we? They cease to be useful. So they become a liability. Those powers of yours can never cease to be useful, Bevan: you possess a power, that if tapped, can help take over the world. On the alternate path, you could refuse, in which case you are useless to me now, and I shall execute you."

"Snap my neck, then, you bastard." He was testing Augury. If he really was valuable, then Augury would overlook this defiant command.

"So fearless in the face of death," said Augury, bored. "But not to pain, I'm afraid. You've numbed emotional pain, but you are physically weak, Bevan. Deep inside you're still the upper-class brat that my weaker half pampered and spoiled. Shall I describe to you the creativity of my torture, or can you make an educated guess?"

Bevan looked away. "Fine. What's the position?"

"An agent of mine. Not of the Moonlight Squad, but independent. You answer to me, you help destroy The Knife and implement my reign. It would be superfluous to say that you'd live a life of luxury: power and money will come to you like Combee to a tree smeared with Honey. And, of course, it will be different than the rest of your life: you will have respect. The alternative is death. Only emotion would make you stray from this deal."

"How much do you really need me, Augury?"

"That's all it'll take? For me to admit I need you?"

"No, Augury. It sounds like I'm working in the same capacity as Rex is right now. If you want me, I want Rex dead."

"Excuse me?" Augury's words were polite, but his tone was rising.

"I don't want to be expendable to Rex, nor do I want to work with him. He attacked me in a way that nobody else did. He may expose me to emotion again."

Augury stepped back, and probed through Bevan's mind, looking for deceit. There was none. Bevan had the full intention of filling Rex's shoes, even more capably with his newfound personality and powers. In the long run, it was an investment. Ultimately, both needed training, and Bevan's would be quicker with his talents. And they would take him further.

Moreover, Bevan had the capability to carry on Augury's legacy, while Rex seemed to be lacking the initiative and creativity to do this. Augury had never admitted this to anyone, but Rex was becoming a disappointment. On each individual mission, he could carry out orders with success. Great success, like his last one. But he never knew how to push back. He never knew when to flex his capable abilities beyond the boundaries, like Bevan was now. The idea seemed more and more appealing.

"Well?"

Augury realised he'd been thinking for well over a minute, leaving his prisoner in silence.

"Clever, cunning, and risky. You could have set me over the edge."

"Just the way you like it, Augury."

"Allow me to make it very clear, Bevan. If I am to do this, you must obey me at every turn. I will give you wide discretion, which I intend for you to use creatively and cunningly, but if you cannot obey me…"

"Your fears are unfounded. I obeyed the Knife. I know about accepting order."

Augury chuckled. "And should you get captured by the other side?"

"Then with my current position, I'll be slaughtered."

"And if you want to overthrow me?"

"If it becomes possible at that point, you don't deserve to rule. I'll make the death quick, if you deserve it."

Perfect. Augury knew that he was looking at a budding Machiavellian mastermind. It was risky, but Augury was never one to avoid talent for the sake of risk management. He thought himself invincible, something that the absence of Evan Emerit intensified. He didn't think that there would ever become a time where he could be overthrown. Three years ago, when he recruited Rex, Augury had thought that Rex would develop initiative and political cunning. He had been sorely disappointed. In a way, he had begun to almost resent his second.

"Very well, Bevan. Rex shall die."

"And I will watch."

Later that night…

"Lord Augury." Rex bowed his head. Bevan stood next to Augury, hooded and cloaked. His eyes were cold, enough to make even Rex slightly nervous.

"Do you have any last words, Rex? A final legacy?"

"M-my Lord… what…?"

"It is my wish that you die, Rex."

Rex closed his eyes, reluctant, but compelled to obey. Even in death, he could not separated himself from his obsession with hierarchy and social order. "By my hand or yours?"

Bevan spoke up. "Your legacy is obedience? Is that how you wish your life to end?"

Rex ignored it, and repeated the question. "By my hand or yours?"

"Mine," interjected Bevan, crushing the bones in Rex's neck. He collapsed pathetically, like a ragdoll.

Bevan went to the body, and nudged it a little with his foot, as if in disbelief. As if Augury had somehow tricked him. When he realised that his former torturer was dead, he smirked to himself. How pathetic.

How pathetic Rex seemed now. It was quick. But it wasn't dehumanising, for there was no soul to take away. He was simply a cog in the machine. Simply a pawn, albeit a powerful one, to Augury's brilliant mind.

I will not allow myself to become like him.

January 2, 101 AE
    District 3, Cronine City

It was a regular day for the people of Cronine. Before going to work, they had risen early to collect the muck they served in the Food Hall. But something was different. The pounding of feet could be heard throughout the slums. People in camouflage were storming the streets, armed with guns and Pokéballs.

The megaphones on the poles sounded. "By order of The Nose, District 3 is undergoing a state of emergency for acts of terrorism. Remain in your homes."

One boy in rags emerged from his home. He couldn't have been older than six. He came with a small ball, not understanding the commotion of the adult world. He was in a family of seven children, so his parents were busy rounding up the older ones. Be provocative, was the order of the soldiers. Evoke a response, their superior had said. Draw the Knife out. In reality, these orders came from the very top. Augury wanted a riot.

The small boy saw the soldiers and screamed. One man, only obeying orders, signaled his Houndoom to rush forward. The black canine headed easily for the small boy, who dropped his ball and tried to scamper away. It took no effort for Houndoom to tear him apart like a squeaky toy, his blood staining the cracked streets of District 3.

The people, cowering in their makeshift homes witnessed this. Some of the braver ones emerged, and were gunned down. It was a vicious cycle: people went out, and were gunned down. These blatant acts of violence made people angry, which made them brave. So they came out. And the cycle began again.

And how vicious the cycle was: within an hour, the impoverished people of District 3 were throwing whatever they could find at these approaching troops. They had no Pokémon, they had no weapons. But, for once in their lives, they had hope. Hope that was torn apart by brutal Pokémon attacks and bullets.

Within the day, the riot had been suppressed. Twelve-hundred were dead. None who were wounded were left alive. Many that were alive were transported to the new prison in Ruraya Town to undergo "testing", and many more were sent to Catriz City to be imprisoned. No house was left unraided.

In the surrounding areas, who heard this violence, rebellion was brewing.

November 12, 101 AE
    Annual Carnival, Estable City

Perhaps the single most important tourist event in Torcra was the Annual Carnival in Estable City. People travelled from across the region to experience a night of enjoyment. The Cronine riots had caused some unrest in the region, but the smooth tongue of the new Voice had settled it down. But the wheels were starting to take motion: people were getting angry.

Thousands upon thousands of people had gathered to see the event. Many had saved up five years of pay in order to travel: inter-city travel was heavily taxed in Torcra, and it had gone up when martial law came into effect a year ago.

The people were a little uneasy with the military there at this supposedly happy event, and even more upset by the Cloaks there. However, they were determined to enjoy a night of candy floss, amusement rides, and stage shows.

At midnight, a scheduled fireworks show was cancelled, and the exit gates were locked. The military raised their guns and released their Pokémon. The people, remembering the Cronine riots at the beginning of the year, eagerly obeyed when they were told to kneel and put their hands on their heads.

Cloaks moved through the crowds and called out lists of names. All of innocent people. These people ranged from children to the elderly. Anyone whose name was called was ordered to stand. So was anyone who looked even vaguely suspicious.

The Cloaks slit the throats, publicly, of about a third of these people. Another third were taken away to be experimented on in Ruraya Town. The prison, of course, was still secret. And the remaining third had far more gruesome punishments, ranging from being set alight to having their limbs ripped off by hungry Houndoom. It was gruesome. It was ugly.

But most frustratingly, there was no reaction, apart from tears. The parents of a murdered child did not even stand up to the Cloaks that executed this poor girl. They were too scared for their own lives.

The commanding Cloak separated himself from the crowd, and pulled out a cell phone. "Madam Eyes, they are not responding. We're not drawing anyone out."

"Kill them all except one." Even for Susan Adams, a fundamentally cruel woman, this was an order given reluctantly. But she, herself, was under the orders of Lord Augury, a man whom she couldn't disobey.

"I don't understand."

He heard a sigh on the other end of the line. "Let one person leave freely so he can tell the story. Then set the carnival alight. Don't let anyone else live."

"Madam Eyes, I don't mean to question…"

"Then don't, commander, or you can be executed as well," Susan snapped. "We are trying to draw a reaction from the Knife. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

July 4, 102 AE
    Head Office of the Voice, Ozoldra City

"This is madness. You can't have this article published," said the Voice.

"I know it goes against everything in your blood," chuckled Bevan, "but you will print this."

"An article criticising the government like this goes against everything we know. You're young and naïve –"

"And on Augury's orders," said Bevan in a monotone voice. "Is he naïve?"

"The people will riot! Augury won't get his peaceful revolution!"

"Don't be an idiot. This is the sort of thing that makes people angry, but since it doesn't directly affect them, they won't riot. People are selfish, greedy, and myopic. Perhaps you shouldn't be in your position if you don't understand that?" Bevan had always had a touch of cynicism in him, but his position as Augury's second had increased this exponentially. "And, in case you haven't noticed, Oligarch, you don't have a choice. Print it."

July 5, 102 AE
    Front page article of the Central Torcran Newspaper

NEW RURAYAN PRISON DISCOVERED
    Ruraya Town is a small, quiet town in South Torcra. The South of the South, in fact, so isolated from anywhere that nobody would ever think of looking there for a prison. But that's exactly what our reporters have just been tipped off on.

A secret prison, operated by the scientific arm of the Oligarchy, is being used for the worst of the worst prisoners, most notably the Cronine and Estable rioters. However, we're left to ask: is this really the kind of "justice" we want?

These people were imprisoned without conviction, and are forced to undergo all manner of painful experiments. One patient, Vladimir Andropov, had his ribs crushed and electrocuted for a weapon that we're not even allowed to know about.

People of Torcra, we're living in turbulent times, but The Knife has been awfully silent, lately. And we're still under martial law. it was bad enough living at the whim of the military and Cloaks. But for innocent people to be subject to biological and chemical experiments, many of which are painful beyond belief? That is entirely… (story continues page 3)

December 20, 102 AE
    Zetport City

Zetport City. The only port of trade in the entire region of Torcra. Even under peaceful conditions, the military maintained a strong presence here: there was an airport and a large harbor that made escape possible. And now, under martial law, they were effectively in a military quarantine. It was only a matter of time until the events of Cronine and Estable repeated themselves. And Zetport was the most likely place.

The soldiers marched in from the West and the South, ordering everyone to stay in their homes. Of the three major crackdowns, this was the most meaningful to Augury. Many of his personal spies were involved in this great charade. This was where he would make his stand.

Augury emerged from a house, wearing a suit and his mask. It was only now that one could examine the terrifying nature of his mask: it gleamed silver against the sun, and curved perfectly around his entire head. It was entirely featureless, except for two narrow slits where his eyes were that allowed light and sound to come in.

Two soldiers pointed their machine guns at him, but Augury casually threw them aside psychically. He walked through the city, knocking soldiers unconscious with his own psychic powers and Pokémon. The people stopped to look in awe at this incredible masked man, crushing the riot.

One brave student stood before an approaching tank, blocking its path. Augury moved his hand, knocking unconscious the soldier that drove the vehicle. Then, in an incredible statement of defiance, he climbed up onto tank. The soldiers were too scared to shoot. The people were too scared to protest. One question was on their minds: Who is this incredible person?

"People of Zetport City! Troops and civilians alike, do you know who I am?"

The crowd was silent, and a few managed to mumble a "No". At this sign, he unclipped the mask from the back, and allowed the crowd a glimpse at his face. It was twitching and convulsing painfully, his eyes bulging. But everyone knew who it was. When the message had sunk in, he placed his mask back on.

"I am Evan Emerit, the former Voice of the Oligarchy. You may have heard that I was dead. You were lied to, my countrymen! The martial law that was declared is a sham! I was going to vote against it, because I knew that it was an attack on your freedom! But your Oligarchs, those who are supposed to protect you, did not care!

"At night, I was arrested, and taken to the secret prison in Ruraya Town. They used me as a live experiment. As you can see, it went horribly wrong. My face now convulses horribly, and I must mask myself. My voice is strangled. But they gave me a gift: the ability to use psychic powers, like an Alakazam! So I escaped. Previously, my friends, I had told you to fight for the Oligarchy! But it has become corrupted and evil. Together, we must take it down."

He outstretched his arms. "People of the military! In stopping your actions, I killed none of your fellows. I only knocked them unconscious, and incapable of doing harm. Do not allow yourselves to blindly follow the orders of the Eyes and the Nose! Join us, the people of Torcra, in the fight for what is right! Join us, or the Oligarchy will begin purges in the military, and you will perish.

"Let the power hungry succeed no more! Let justice finally prevail! Let martial law fall! I am on the side of justice, and the side of what is right. Only a coward wouldn't join me. Am I speaking to cowards!?"

The crowd cheered enthusiastically, and then a chant rose. "Not cowards, not cowards, not cowards!" The military took longer, but eventually they realised he was right. Besides which, the officers, hand-picked by Augury, began to cheer as well, ordering the soldiers to follow. Martial law like this could only result in purges. They'd happened before, and they could easily happen again. Slowly, but surely, the military and civilians alike had been won over by the razzle-dazzle of rhetoric and power.

March 4, 103 AE
    Ozoldra City

"People of Torcra! We have fought a just fight thus far!" Augury stood on the State balcony, speaking to the masses below. "The military have stormed the castle, so to speak. All six Oligarchs have signed over power. No blood has been shed in this change of power. No more violence, my friends. We shall be free from the shackles of the Oligarchy!"

Time for the big risk. Everything led up to this next question. In a few short months, Augury, or "Evan Emerit", as the people knew him, had become Torcra's #1. He was a hero, who had bravely escaped from Ruraya and stopped a bloody massacre in Zetport City. And now, he had lead a bloodless coup against the government.

He was the ultimate chessmaster, playing the part perfectly, and forcing others to play theirs. He had spies everywhere, and people placed across the civil service, military, and criminal underworld. His only regret was that he hadn't discovered the Knife. They were quiet. He knew they would be – they couldn't attack him while he was seizing power, for that would cause chaos. And, over the past few years, they'd kept quiet. He knew that they were biding their time, using Cicero's knowledge to develop all manner of deadly and vile weapons that the Ruraya Prison, had, for the most part, failed to do. The honeymoon period with that group was about to end.

"Do you accept me as your President, people of Torcra? Will you allow me to help guide you? Would you forgive an old cripple who was too foolish to see the Oligarchy for what it was, until it was too late? Do you trust me?" Sympathy, guilt, and passion, all wrapped into one.

The crowd cheered in the affirmative. President Emerit reigned supreme: unquestioned rule and unimaginable power. The autocrat.

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    You should do an off-shot of the one lone survivor XD Perhaps that adult or child left the country all-together and went to the canon lands and told the story, or something (assuming they are at least inhabited by people).

When the message had sunken in, he placed his mask back on.

Might be NZ slang again :P but I think sunk in is just fine.

lead a bloodless coup

led ;)

Otherwise:

liek omg moral ambiguity ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy the idea of a bloody fanfic. XD >.>

Otherwise awesomeness! Can't wait to see what Bevan is up to otherwise, and Charlotte and co's reaction when they find out.

I'm just kind of surprised he would take up on Augury's offer so quickly. Though I suppose that has to do with actually staying alive. Otherwise I would have seen Bevan go off by himself.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Feign said:
    You should do an off-shot of the one lone survivor XD Perhaps that adult or child left the country all-together and went to the canon lands and told the story, or something (assuming they are at least inhabited by people).
    Why? XD

Feign said:
    When the message had sunken in, he placed his mask back on.

Might be NZ slang again :P but I think sunk in is just fine.

lead a bloodless coup

led ;)
    *fixes*~~~

Feign said:
    liek omg moral ambiguity ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111
    :333 I know. :D Was it too much? XD

Feign said:
    Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy the idea of a bloody fanfic. XD >.>

Your breed is less rare than you might think. ;D

Feign said:
    Otherwise awesomeness! Can't wait to see what Bevan is up to otherwise, and Charlotte and co's reaction when they find out.

Know that it will be numbed by three years. ;D Mostly, they won't want to talk much about him - Bevan will be a bit of a taboo topic. ;o

Feign said:
    I'm just kind of surprised he would take up on Augury's offer so quickly. Though I suppose that has to do with actually staying alive. Otherwise I would have seen Bevan go off by himself.

There's only so much you can push Augury, as you've probably guessed. It's about survival, remember. It didn't seem unrealistic, did it? :s

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Why? XD

*fixes*~~~

:333 I know. :D Was it too much? XD

By no means no. We need people to be so astounded, they'd be confused as to whether or not they should cry in frustration, or be shocked beyond belief.

Your breed is less rare than you might think. ;D

Fine then :P

Know that it will be numbed by three years. ;D Mostly, they won't want to talk much about him - Bevan will be a bit of a taboo topic. ;o

There's only so much you can push Augury, as you've probably guessed. It's about survival, remember. It didn't seem unrealistic, did it? :s
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

It seemed just a bit faster than I had thought... Would leaving him in the prison by himself for a few days (and without sustenance) make a difference? XD

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Feign said:
    By no means no. We need people to be so astounded, they'd be confused as to whether or not they should cry in frustration, or be shocked beyond belief.
    Good. XD; I'm interested to see all of your reactions to this one.

Feign said:
    Fine then :P
    Would you prefer to be a solitary creature, feeding on the pain of story characters alone? ;D

Feign said:
    It seemed just a bit faster than I had thought... Would leaving him in the prison by himself for a few days (and without sustenance) make a difference? XD
    With most people, it would wear down their resistance. But I think Augury made a compelling case to a perfectly rational person, something which Bevan aspires to be. In reality, an emotional being would much less easily turn against their friends, but I think Bevan needn't suffer any more than being intimidated. He knows it's coming; he doesn't need to experience it.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Good. XD; I'm interested to see all of your reactions to this one.

Would you prefer to be a solitary creature, feeding on the pain of story characters alone? ;D

With most people, it would wear down their resistance. But I think Augury made a compelling case to a perfectly rational person, something which Bevan aspires to be. In reality, an emotional being would much less easily turn against their friends, but I think Bevan needn't suffer any more than being intimidated. He knows it's coming; he doesn't need to experience it.

Ah okay yeah that explanation works then. ;)

I'd rather write my own demises for characters XD

Reactions to which?

(answered in reverse order)

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Reactions to Bevan's new nature, I mean. :s

Ah well, I somewhat did expect it (as mentioned above, had Augry not threatened his life, he would have become a loner. (perhaps this has yet to come).

But I wonder what morally ambiguous things Bevan has been up to. Hopefully needlessly getting blood on his hands. XD

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • ATTENTION DUELISTS: I have finally, finally decided on an ending for this fic. :O

Feign said:
    Ah well, I somewhat did expect it (as mentioned above, had Augry not threatened his life, he would have become a loner. (perhaps this has yet to come).
    You'll just have to wait and see. >;D

Feign said:
    But I wonder what morally ambiguous things Bevan has been up to. Hopefully needlessly getting blood on his hands. XD
    Heheheheh. Any guesses? XD;

Back