• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] He who is Merely a Rumour

Years
  • Oh yeah, Citrinin, something reminded me. It occurred to me that those humans who have psychic powers can take on Pokémon where they usually shouldn't be able to. Shouldn't this mean psychic-type Pokémon are incredibly stronger than any other Pokémon? I might have missed something you said to explain it though, sorry if I have.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Eliminator Jr. said:
    Oh yeah, Citrinin, something reminded me. It occurred to me that those humans who have psychic powers can take on Pokémon where they usually shouldn't be able to. Shouldn't this mean psychic-type Pokémon are incredibly stronger than any other Pokémon? I might have missed something you said to explain it though, sorry if I have.
    Humans are naturally weaker than Pokemon, and psychic powers, a Pokemon-esque power, bring them up to a level on par with Pokemon (of course, they lack all the other strengths of Pokemon, as noted in Chapter 25 when Bevan realises how close he is to death if he gets hit even once by Rapidash's Flamethrower).

Years
  • I meant as in how come psychic-types aren't stronger than other Pokémon? But yeah I can take your answer and change it around a bit and assume that psychic Pokémon have roughly the same capacity to fight as a regular human, and the psychic powers are what make them as good as other Pokémon. Question answered then.

Years
  • Because humans usually cannot fight Pokémon, but with psychic powers they can. I was confused as to why psychic-types, who are already Pokémon, aren't like better than other Pokémon because they've got both the advantage of being a Pokémon and the advantage of having psychic powers. It's okay I'm pretty sure I've got it worked out anyway.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Aaaah. Psychic powers are the Pokémon power of psychic types. If Rex could say, breathe fire, summon water, bring forth bolts of lightning, etc., he would also be capable of fighting Pokémon. Of course, the human will always have weaknesses, like every attack being potentially deadly.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Hahaha, XD~ You're welcome, Eliminator Jr. ^-^

EDIT: Also, I'll proofread and release Chapter 26 tomorrow (technically today, I suppose). :D

Last edited:

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Chapter Twenty-Six: Past and Future
    "Manfred… Manfred…"

The voice was agonised, but familiar. Manfred opened his eyes, to find himself floating in an all too familiar world. He was floating over a series of floating boulders. A faint, light Pokémon in the distance roared softly.

"G-Giratina?"

It had been years since Manfred had spoken to the legendary Pokémon. But he looked different: he was glowing, but translucent. He swum mid-air, slowly, but frantically. Never before had Manfred spoken to Giratina in such a distressed state.

"It's… been years. What happened to you?"

"It is perhaps best I show you."

Suddenly, the dream opened up, and he stood before a battle that took place many, many years ago. It was obvious from the look of tiredness in Giratina's eyes that it was almost over. Evan Emerit, a look of greed smeared across his face, ordered his Tyranitar to deliver one final blow: Crunch.

The green dinosaur leapt towards Giratina. Thoroughly exhausted, Giratina pulled back, but was too slow. Howling in pain, Giratina collapsed, falling into the abyss below.

Evan Emerit stepped forward. Before him laid an orb, swirling with darkness. The orb that Giratina had fought him to protect.

"The Griseous Orb," said Evan, a triumphant smirk on his face. "Get it, Tyranitar."

Obediently, Tyranitar waddled over to the Griseous Orb, picking it up. Suddenly, from below, Giratina emerged, enraged. Evidently, it was not defeated. Evan almost screamed his next command, and Tyranitar used yet another Crunch attack. Giratina flew forward. The Griseous Orb was between them. Darkness collided with darkness.

Neither Pokémon stood tall after the attack. Tyranitar lay injured and unconscious on the floating platform. Giratina was nowhere to be found.

Evan walked slowly, cautiously, towards the orb. He knelt down, and touched it. Manfred's guess was right: suddenly, Evan convulsed. Convulsed as if he had a demon inside him. This was partially true. It was painful: Evan opened his mouth as if to scream, but he couldn't.

Suddenly, the dream faded back, so Manfred was talking with the faint, light Giratina.

"The Griseous Orb is what keeps me in my Origin Form. I must be in contact with it. But, in the Distortion World, space operates in such a way… that it's as if everything touches everything. This kind of darkness can be untapped by a human to learn psychic powers – the same kind I taught you.

"However, when I collided with Tyranitar, using my full force against his full force, the Griseous Orb right between us… I was nearly dead, Manfred. Somehow, the connection between myself and the Griseous Orb ripped out the darkness within me, splitting my spirit, leaving only the light as you see now. There are some things in this world that even I don't understand. The Griseous Orb that Arceus gave to me all those centuries ago is one of them.

"Then, when Evan touched it, his greed, his malice, his darkest ambitions running high, my dark half merged with that, inhabiting his body. The result? Evan Emerit and this new, darker personality. A grotesque fusion between the darkness of myself, and the darkness of Evan. Lord Augury, as he was called."

"So… that is the story?" Manfred was overwhelmed.

"Yes. Only now do I have the strength to tell you this. Three years ago, I woke, and have built the strength ever since to communicate with you again."

Manfred didn't know how to respond.

"But there is a danger, now, Manfred. As Lord Augury expunged Evan Emerit, the one hedge of good that rested within him has gone. Lord Augury will grow. He will become darker. That kind of force doesn't rest. It mutates. It will have been doing it slowly over the past three years. Here's where it picks up, Manfred. Time is running out for the human world."

"What – what can I do?"

Giratina shook its head. "I don't know. But kill it fast. As you know, my power is terrible. If you think that Augury's at his strongest…" Giratina paused. "Once my darkness comes through, there will be no hope. Not for Torcra, not for your entire world."

*​

The situation was hardly appetising. The alleyways of Cronine City on a cold morning. Warm smoke puffed against the frost. It emanated from a cigarette, held by an unshaven youth. Approaching this young man was a man in a long, black trench coat.

"I told you a year ago. No."

"Liam, surely you've noticed how circumstances have changed?"

Liam, Charlotte's trainer friend, waved his cigarette in the face of the Knife recruiter. "You're not roping me into a war. I'm a trainer, not a bloody soldier."

The man reached into his coat and pulled out an envelope. "Perhaps this will change your mind."

Liam casually tore it open and took one glance at the handwriting. "Ah, so Charlotte's in the Knife? And you thought that would win me over?" Liam scoffed. "I'm sure a lot of my old friends have joined you. It seems to be the new thing that's eating up the numbers of free trainers."

Charlotte assured me this would work, the man thought. "Read it."

Liam scanned through the letter.

"Liam,

"I know you're not the type to get dragged into someone else's battle, so I'll make it your own. Remember four years ago how you said that you've heard of a rumour that could get your head cut off? That's what we're fighting against.

"If you know about heads being removed you know enough. It's probably not enough for you that he's got your friends – including Bevan. That's right – he has your childhood friend, possibly the only person you really cared about before you became a trainer. But Liam, if you think that the Oligarchy caring about Pokémon is going to cease, you are wrong.

"Don't be short-sighted. If you don't fight with us against He who is Merely a Rumour, you will perish. You're probably stubborn enough to continue training even under this kind of rule, but to what end? What's the point in being a trainer if nobody else is? I'm surprised you've found anyone to battle now.

"-Charlotte."

Liam smiled. She knows how to play me. Or, rather, she thinks she does. "Did you really think that would work?"

The man smiled. "Dagger didn't think so either. I have another envelope for you."

Liam took this one, tore it open, and looked at it. His cocky smile faded, and almost immediately he stuffed the note in his pocket hurriedly.

"Yeah, like that's not suspicious," joked the Knife recruiter. "Dagger has a way of doing that to people."

He looked at the man strangely, with a hint of horror in his eyes. Totally oblivious to what this meant. Figures, Liam thought disdainfully. Liam swore very loudly. Angrily. He took a deep breath, turned to the Knife agent, and managed to mumble, "I'm in."

*​

Seven people stood in the room. It was the first day of 'President Evan Emerit's' rule. The day that Augury could walk free in his mask, and people would respect him as a revolutionary. A merciful, benevolent leader who had lifted the oppressive martial law. Of course, they were living under the same oppressive regime that they were three years ago. More oppressive, in fact. They just didn't know it. Augury was building up Unit 6, and the Cloaks. The people, blinded by the ignorance forced upon them from a young age, simply didn't understand true tyranny.

Six of the seven people were formerly Oligarchs, all formally under arrest. The understanding was that they would essentially retain the equivalents of their old jobs within Augury's new regime. Of course, that was not to be the case.

The bearer of bad news, the seventh person, was Bevan. He sat in a black cloak, the standard Cloak uniform. And the standard uniform for any of Augury's mercenaries. The image was completed by his dark, cold, unforgiving eyes. Over three years, he had changed. He had become ruthless. And, most horribly, he had completed his transformation to someone who was emotionless. In his new world, there was nobody to get attached to. Nobody to lure out love or hope. Augury had seen to that.

Bevan motioned for the Oligarchs to sit. Used to obeying him by now, they all did. Nervously. Bevan circled them for a while, allowing the fear to sink in. The only one who maintained his usual air of confidence was Calvin Shore, the former Hands of the Oligarchy. Always play with your food, Augury had taught him. Only kill it immediately if it poses a real threat to you. That way, you establish a reputation for being terrifying. That is how you control people.

Finally, the sound of cracking was heard. Bevan didn't even look as he psychically snapped the neck of the new Voice. "Nothing personal," Bevan mused aloud to the cadaver. "We just couldn't have such a vociferous supporter of martial law kept alive."

The other Oligarchs simply sweated. In power, they were all fearless. But in weakness, their true natures were laid bare. They had all resented Rex, but Bevan was truly terrifying. He was young, but he was creative. Even his morbid taunts were emotionless. They were simply for the purpose of achieving a goal: fear. So that the surviving Oligarchs would know their place before this cruel eighteen-year-old. He was almost demonic.

Bevan continued circling, and stopped behind Gareth, the current Nose. "Time's up," Bevan whispered, before snapping his neck too. The expression on his corpse was one of pure, undiluted fear.

Bevan turned to Simon, the Brain, putting a light telekinetic grip around his neck. "Give me a reason why you shouldn't join the dead. Your entire operation has been a failure."

"You… have discretion over who lives?"

Even though his face was dripping with the sweat of fear, Simon Gordon couldn't resist satisfying his curiosities.

"In your case, yes," said Bevan simply. "Thirty seconds."

"We've done good work. We're making major progress on the Red Files, and…" At the mention of the Red Files, Simon Gordon's head twisted three-hundred and sixty degrees. If he's mentioning those failures as his greatest achievements, then I need no more time for consideration.

"The rest of you are free to live. Samantha and Susan, you will be in subsidiary positions, similar to your roles in the Oligarchy. Calvin, you'll control the economy and the finances. Answerable to Augury, of course." Bevan leaned in. "By the way, for what you three did, death is far too kind. The fact that you now live comfortable lives… count your blessings, former Oligarchs. You deserve nothing less than torture until you die." He said it with such a tone of promise. Perhaps if it was a passionate speech it wouldn't have been so horrifying. But it was cold. Blank. Emotionless.

Just as he had worked alongside a terrorist organisation, he now worked alongside the state. What difference is there? This was the question that Bevan would often ask his conscience in the early stages of his duties.

He had never received any response.

*​

"Martial law's over, Cicero. It's high time we put some of your inventions to use." Dagger approached his chief scientist. "I must say, I can't wait to test some of these out."

Cicero frowned. "There is too much glee in your voice. These do some terrible things."

"For great purposes," amended Dagger. "If not for anything else, they must be great leaps in the field of science."

"Yes," said Cicero, not fooled. "But you'll not subvert my conscience by trying to appeal to my intellectual nature."

"It's a debate we've had many times, Cicero."

"Yes, but now that we're actually putting them out there… it's hard to think that my creations will do such horrific and unnatural things. Why did we have to get to this point?"

"It all stems back to the Event. In a time of such catastrophe, people were simply willing to sacrifice their freedom to be safe. The government liked their power and held on. And then you've got a clever man like Augury who plays the system, and we end up where we are. Building a reset button."

"It's a shame so many lives have to be lost in the building of this metaphorical button."

"Indeed," said Dagger grimly.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Yay, I got to the chapter first. I've been looking forward to it all day. :D

At any rate, Bevan scares me more than Rex at this point. At least Rex had an sadistic emotional fix for death while Bevan just kills calmly and continues to the next person. Bevan makes me a bit angry now. Just the fact that he is so willing to do what Augury says. I wonder if Bevan is going to get his.

Next topic. Giratina and Manfred connection makes things a bit clearer. But I wonder how Cyrus is going to play a part in this. Speaking of connections, good connection between Evan having a Tyrantiar as well as Bevan having one (probably, its been some time so I'm guessing) too.

Overall good chapters. Many of the former Oligarch being released (permantly) from their duty showed the transformation of Bevan quite nicely. At this point, I'm not sure if I should call Bevan, well Bevan anymore. He's just too scary.

Anyway great as always. Cicero's and Dagger's plan sounds pretty extreme.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Here's a scary thought: if I continue posting chapters at a rate of 1 per 4 days, this fic will be finished in just over two months. x_x;

Sgt Shock said:
    I've been looking forward to it all day. :D
    :D I'm glad to hear my fic can inspire such anticipation. ^^;

Sgt Shock said:
    At any rate, Bevan scares me more than Rex at this point. At least Rex had an sadistic emotional fix for death while Bevan just kills calmly and continues to the next person. Bevan makes me a bit angry now.
    Aha, so you fall onto one side of the fence. I'm sort of hoping there'll be a mixture of "WHAT THE HELL BEVAN YOU MONSTER >:O" and "OH POOR BEVAN LOOK WHAT HE'S BEEN FORCED TO BECOME". With varying levels of intensity and mixtures between the two, of course. XD;

Sgt Shock said:
    Just the fact that he is so willing to do what Augury says.
    The relationship between Bevan and Augury will be dabbled with later. I wouldn't jump to any hasty conclusions yet. ;D

Sgt Shock said:
    I wonder if Bevan is going to get his.
    I'm wondering whether the ending I have planned for him is sufficient justice for you. ;D

Sgt Shock said:
    Giratina and Manfred connection makes things a bit clearer.
    Yes. Part III is where the prologue ties fars more into the story than just being a distant event.

Sgt Shock said:
    But I wonder how Cyrus is going to play a part in this.
    By my current plans, Cyrus's role has already been pretty much cemented: (a) the human aspect that caused the Event; (b) a canon character to compare Bevan to.

Sgt Shock said:
    Speaking of connections, good connection between Evan having a Tyrantiar as well as Bevan having one (probably, its been some time so I'm guessing) too.
    Glad to see you picked that one up. ;D

Sgt Shock said:
    Many of the former Oligarch being released (permantly) from their duty showed the transformation of Bevan quite nicely.
    Yeah, I thought that was the best way to show you the new Bevan, without showing him as too cruel. (Who would mourn the death of the Oligarchs? XD)

Sgt Shock said:
    At this point, I'm not sure if I should call Bevan, well Bevan anymore. He's just too scary.
    The funny thing is, that people don't usually call him Bevan anymore (as will be seen in a few latter chapters.) They just call him Emerit. :P

Sgt Shock said:
    Cicero's and Dagger's plan sounds pretty extreme.
    It does, doesn't it? On one hand, they're desperate. On the other hand... it could help to topple Augury. No decision is easy, now. ;o

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • That poor Bevan concept had left me since he decided to abandon his feelings towards anything. :D It makes me think, "Oh if I had the chance to kill him I would" but I'll probably have my neck snapped like everyone else. But I assume I do have a rather small sense of pity for the man. I'm just pushing it aside real well.

Good thing Augury ordered Bevan to kill the Oligarch of Augury's choosing because I know Susan is on the top of Bevan's hit list.

By the way, I'm like Liam at the moment. I didn't mention him in my last post. XD

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Sgt Shock said:
    That poor Bevan concept had left me since he decided to abandon his feelings towards anything.
    He conceded that he had emotion towards Charlotte, remember? ;D

And, I would be in remiss if I didn't explore that after three years. ;o

Still, I can understand where you're coming from. I'll reveal my own views towards my characters after the epilogue, if anyone's still interested by that stage. XD;

Sgt Shock said:
    It makes me think, "Oh if I had the chance to kill him I would" but I'll probably have my neck snapped like everyone else.
    You nailed it. XD;

Sgt Shock said:
    Good thing Augury ordered Bevan to kill the Oligarch of Augury's choosing because I know Susan is on the top of Bevan's hit list.
    And him on hers. ;D

Sgt Shock said:
    By the way, I'm like Liam at the moment. I didn't mention him in my last post. XD
    Liam's a fascinating character who I've been toying with for a long time (longer than you'd think). I considered introducing him in Chapter 12 as an already reluctant member of the Knife, but then I realised that it would be far better under this storyline that I have planned. C:

In both his personality and his role in the story, there is more to him than meets the eye. ;3

Nudge

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    Hmm Bevan's finally given up all emotion? That could be very, very dangerous, for Torcra and the Knife. But I guess it was to be expected as there was no Charlotte, no anyone for that matter in the course of 3 years that wanted him to regain the emotion.

And Liam's back and joined the Knife like I'm pretty sure, we all expected :P He could be an interesting character in my opinion, I'm curious to see how he expands.

Can't wait to see the catastrophic results of Cicero's inventions :P.

Now Manfred and Giratina in cahoots. I like that, I must say. And I like how Giratina came to warn Manfred that something has to be done to destroy Augury or they're all pretty much stuffed lol

I like the chapter, gives a good insight as to what's been happening, didn't see any spelling mistakes which is good.
    So yeah, nice one, yet again :P

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • AllTimeLow1 said:
    Hmm Bevan's finally given up all emotion? That could be very, very dangerous, for Torcra and the Knife.
    Yes. Bevan Emerit will be the Knife's most formidable opponent yet. And what is most ironic about it is not only did the Knife do this to him, but it was Cicero convincing Dagger to have it done.

AllTimeLow1 said:
    But I guess it was to be expected as there was no Charlotte, no anyone for that matter in the course of 3 years that wanted him to regain the emotion.
    That's pretty much the long and the short of it. Of course, like I told Sgt. Shock, you will see Bevan exposed to things that will evoke emotion. >:D

AllTimeLow1 said:
    And Liam's back and joined the Knife like I'm pretty sure, we all expected
    Yeah - that was relatively obvious. What isn't obvious (because the foreshadowing for this arc was minimal) is why that piece of paper could make Liam join the Knife.

AllTimeLow1 said:
    He could be an interesting character in my opinion, I'm curious to see how he expands.
    He is an interesting character. :D I'm having enormous fun writing his scenes. XD

AllTimeLow1 said:
    Can't wait to see the catastrophic results of Cicero's inventions :P.
    For now, most of it has been just talk, except for the experiment on Bevan. Now you'll get to see the horror that this old man is capable of.

AllTimeLow1 said:
    I like the chapter, gives a good insight as to what's been happening, didn't see any spelling mistakes which is good.
    So yeah, nice one, yet again :P
    Thanks. ^__^

Nudge

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    Yes. Bevan Emerit will be the Knife's most formidable opponent yet. And what is most ironic about it is not only did the Knife do this to him, but it was Cicero convincing Dagger to have it done.
    Mhmm, the Knife really should have taken measures to prevent an occurence liks this happening, but obviously didn't think it was neccessary, mostly because they didn't think he would rid himself of emotion and they were banking on him keeping hatred towards Augury because of his parents deaths at Augury's hand. I think haha

That's pretty much the long and the short of it. Of course, like I told Sgt. Shock, you will see Bevan exposed to things that will evoke emotion. >:D
    Ohk, well can't wait to see that then :D

Yeah - that was relatively obvious. What isn't obvious (because the foreshadowing for this arc was minimal) is why that piece of paper could make Liam join the Knife.
    Yeah that had me curious as to what was on it, care to tell? :P

For now, most of it has been just talk, except for the experiment on Bevan. Now you'll get to see the horror that this old man is capable of.
    Ever since he tried the psychic powers I've been curious as to his capabilities so it will be good to finally find out.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • AllTimeLow1 said:
    Mhmm, the Knife really should have taken measures to prevent an occurence liks this happening, but obviously didn't think it was neccessary, mostly because they didn't think he would rid himself of emotion and they were banking on him keeping hatred towards Augury because of his parents deaths at Augury's hand. I think haha
    Pretty much. XD; That, and the fact that when he did lose emotion, they discounted it as an unfortunate adolescent phase. Even Manfred didn't forsee Bevan joining Augury.

AllTimeLow1 said:
    Yeah that had me curious as to what was on it, care to tell? :P
    In good time. XD

AllTimeLow1 said:
    Ever since he tried the psychic powers I've been curious as to his capabilities so it will be good to finally find out.
    Chapter 27 will satisfy your curiosity, then. :3 (Well, at least in this area. XD)

Nudge

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    Chapter 27 will satisfy your curiosity, then. :3 (Well, at least in this area. XD)

Hahah yeah, you never give too much away each chapter do you :P
    But that's what draws readers I guess, the mystery of what could happen just makes us keep reading.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • AllTimeLow1 said:
    But that's what draws readers I guess, the mystery of what could happen just makes us keep reading.
    Mystery is a particularly potent technique, yes. ;P But it will all be solved in the end. XD

Nudge

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    And how long till the end comes? Another 20 chapters?
    I want it to never end :P

Back