• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Has B/W Changed Your Playing Style?

Has your playing style changed?

• Yes, significantly

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • A bit

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Not at all

Votes: 7 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
Years
Not at all. My strategy is use everything you need to win. And that's exactly what I'm doing. My biggest change in strategy is not relying on Psychic-pokemon this time around, though.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
Years
Most definitely. :3 I used to always make solo runs with the starter!
But now, with so many interesting Pokemon to catch, I am really tempted not to! XD
Err... And now with the new EXP system, a solo run wouldn't work that well anymore anyways... ^^;

Aaaaand, I used to also reserve spots for HM slaves on my team. Now there is no need, so I get to have a bunch of Pokemon. :3 <3

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2011
Kind of changed my playstyle a little bit. However after the second gym the game got much easier. I still did my usual thing of getting one of the commonest and first types and just using it the most. Currently its Stoutland (From lilipup). First was a Ratatta and other ones for other games.

Currently my Stoutland KOs most pokemon in 1-2 hits. I don't like my Servine much. Seems kind of weak compared to Stoutland. It has my XP share though. It should evolve soon.

But no I just read a faq from gamefaqs.com to know everything. However it is tougher and I need to heal up my pokemon much more frequently. But the gyms atm are a joke. My Stoutland just killed the Flying (Jet Badge) gyms pokemons like nothing. He is over 10 levels higher than them though.

I do use an AR code but only one, and thats the 100% catch rate since I figure id be annoyed if something cool came up and couldn't get it. So I just catch anything new with just a normal pokeball.

All in all I am very happy at the game. I am using Pokemon White though, on my NDS phat ive had since they came out lol. (Still works perfect)

Years
Not really, still just go out catching whatever pops up and then pick my favourites to go around with.

The main difference is that I've gone as slow as a snail on purpose so that the game lasts longer than normal. On about 52 hours and Ive just reached White Forest.

Nameless.

Oh yes. It's changed my gameplay like crazy!
Before I used to plan out a team to play through with even before playing a Pokemon game. I'd have everyone down, sometimes even down to genders, names, and movesets all ready before playing. With B&W I love so many Pokemon that I never planned a team. I wrote a list of a bunch of Pokemon way beyond 6 that I wanted, but I never followed it in the end. I just ended up playing through and catching any Pokemon I wanted and training it. It was all un-planned, and I'm going to end up with 3 separate teams to use and interchange it seems. Maybe even more than that! I have never ever done this before.. ever. It's pretty boggling really! To have so many different Pokemon to choose from and use throughout the game!

I believe with this change of gameplay, I'm going to be doing this way more often now. It's made me wanna go back to past generations, especially the first, and try out the new play style! <3

AadmM

I AM THE BRAINWASHAAAA
Years
Most definitely. I usually only go through the games with three Pokémon that I like. This time around I'm building teams of 5 or 6 Pokémon, and on top of that I've been having trouble deciding who to use for said teams...not because it's out of the ordinary for me, but because I like so many of the new Pokémon!

And another thing out of the norm this time around: I've been keeping some of my Pokémon from evolving. For one, I still have my Snivy after clearing the Elite Four and doing some additional exploration around Unova. She and the rest of my Black team are currently sitting at Lv. 64!

I just started a file in White, too, and I plan on keeping my Oshawott (whom I have dubbed Oshum) an Oshawott forever. Haha.

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
Years
I find myself playing with the VOLUME on more (grass/sand spots)
I find myself using "hold items" other than Lucky Egg and Exp. Share as well.

Have also been capturing Pokemon more often. This is due to my "soak + net ball" fascination.

Mark9

Toto Trainer
Years
Very much so. It helps that Black/White has really played around with typing a lot more then previously.

I normally start with the water starter, but this time I've gone for Tepig as hes far more enduring. I normally have the first bird type you find but I went for Woobat this time round as I liked the idea of combining Psychic with flying so early on.

I also went for Sewaddle and he has proved to be the surprise hit, very effective being able to beat rock and ground and also pyschic and dark types. The lack of water types in this game has also completely changed my tactics, I went for Seismitoad because of his similarities to Swampert.

HM's not being essential this time round has really improved the game. I've never had a HM pokemon on the team anyway, but the game is far more open to choice.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
Years
I have actually. In the older games I tend to have a balanced team of 6 pokemon, all having around the same levels, with at least 10 types (some have dual types) so I can easily take care of whatever I have to face. It's because I knew what was coming and knew what worked.

Because I cut myself off from all information during the Japanese release, I had to play my White game like I played Red. Completely oblivious. My starter is horribly overleved (even after my sad attempts at grinding to make the levels equal) and I don't have many good types on my team. I'm basically relying on my Samurott with surf to sweep everything just to get foward.

Not to mention I had no idea where to get my favorites from, so I played the game switching pokemon every chance I got. Now that it's the after game I have a completed team, but it was just nails on a chalkboard during the first 6 gyms because I was so indecisive.

I don't like this new play style, and I'm going to make sure I don't make the same mistake when I get either Black or the third game(when it comes out).

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2015
yes it has, usually i hold back,or my team is so over leveled its not fun, but in unova i dont have to hold back anymore, a very satisfyin thing IMO now i can get my pokemon up to level 40 by the 5th gym and not feel bad lol

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2015
My style has changed a little. I normally rely heavily on my starter, and tend to form my team with much the same composition. Often the same Pokemon (eg Gyarados), but at least the same types. Obviously, I am not training a Magikarp or a Geodude any more, which is a pleasant change. I am less reliant on my starter, because I do not really like any of the three (I had the same complaint in the Second Generation). I find I am using different types too. For example, I am currently running Trubbish, when I *never* ran Poison Pokemon before, whereas I am not overly fussed on any of the Unova Psychics (normally my favourite type).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I've been using slower Pokemon lately (I've always used them but not as much as now). Maybe because of their designs and raw power (Roggenrola/Boldore/Gigalith:cer_love:) they have. I've also been using alot of Trick Room lately.

My team has quite a few slow pokemon, but also fast pokemon too. It's definitely interesting.

Conkeldurr, Reuniclus and Cofagrigus are all fairly slow
Darmanitan and Scolipede are very fast
Samurott is somewhere in the middle.

Years
Nothing other than catching my Pokémon later in the game, I usually like to have a full team by around the 3rd-4th gym but this time my last Pokémon was Joltik in Chargestone Cave.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
This is a really old thread! :( Make a new one if you wish but don't revive stuff from 2011 please :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back