• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ninja's Den

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
Years
  • THE NINJA'S DEN

This is just a place for me to put my art. I'm know I'm not the best because I just started. Since I'm kinda new to this when you criticize me I would appreciate it if you would tell me how to fix it. Thanks! Constructive criticism only please.

TAGS
    Spoiler:

ICONS
    Spoiler:

Thanks for taking the time to browse through this. I know the CSS is basic and not too great but... If you're good at CSS you could change that. xD

Last edited:

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Ok so I'm only going to comment on two works because I'd be repeating myself a fair bit, but hopefully you can take something from this. If I seem harsh, I'm not trying to be, I'm just trying to help, so yeah.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/144/a/3/naruto_tag_by_xyr1n-d3h5ate.jpg
    So firstly, I'd like to point out that this probably isn't the best way to use C4Ds. Firstly, because it is on such a low opacity, it isn't really adding any flow or impact within the tag, and because it is directly and isolated to being over the focal, it just makes the render look lower quality. As a general rule, try not to cover the focal point (face), and if you are going to put effects over the render, just cover corners and little sections on the outsides of the render so that it helps blend it in, but doesn't take focus or hide parts of the focal.

Also, the tag is way too simple. It is ok to have a gradient/solid colour as the background, but you really need to fill up some of the background with effects so it doesn't just look like a render on a colour background with some text to the side. As for the background, you've got the right idea of having the lightest point at the focal and getting darker as you move towards the edges, however with that yellow colour, it doesn't look too great as that mustardy colour at the edges. You could've tried a grey / black from his clothes, or perhaps a dark blue which would've made it look a little less monotonous.

Finally, it's good to see you've blurred and sharpened the render a little bit to add depth, however you possibly have gone a little extreme in both directions, parts of the face look a little low quality from too much sharpening, and the body is way too blurry.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/096/2/f/tags_by_xyr1n-d3dcmlr.jpg
    You said this was one of your earlier ones, and yet this one is by far your best (tutorials can be of great help until you reach a certain point where you can't really learn from them any more). I'd recommend continuing using tutorials for a bit longer until you grasp the key techniques a bit better.

But on to the tag, the only real thing I'd advise against in this tag is the text and the duplicated focal. The text is too far away from the render and is just drawing focus away from your render, and the duplication is doing the same / doesn't really look that good. Something else I'd tidy up are the white pixels around parts of the render like the hair / back, and on such a dark tag, they are quite obvious...

So, the good parts of this tag are the fact that you've got lots going on and more elements. You have the C4D used way more effectively than the last tag because it is more solid and asserts itself, and the splatters fill up the background a bit so it doesn't look so plain. Also, you have splatters over parts of the render, but away from the face (focal point) which blends it all together without detracting.

Honestly, this tag is much better than all the rest. Either try and do some more like this one, follow some tutorials, or just look to put more in your tags.

Hope that was helpful / not too harsh!

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • Ok so I'm only going to comment on two works because I'd be repeating myself a fair bit, but hopefully you can take something from this. If I seem harsh, I'm not trying to be, I'm just trying to help, so yeah.

Buncha stuff

I understand, I'll try to follow your advice. I'll stick to more tutorials. I'll try to fill the background more and everything. And I don't think it's too harsh, it's helpful and you didn't say it in a rude way. Please comment on my icons too if you have the time. I'm really new.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • Some new stuff!

sasuke_tag_by_xyr1n-d3hjpby.jpg

I like this one. I followed a tut and it took forever. ;-;

neji_icon_by_xyr1n-d3hjts1.jpg

Just a simple icon for my group on DA (Byakugan-heroes.deviantart.com)

gaara_tag_by_xyr1n-d3hkfdi.jpg

This isn't as good as some of my others but I kinda like it. The tut was kinda confusing so I think I messed up the smudging.

Last edited:

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/149/c/5/gaara_tag_by_xyr1n-d3hkfdi.jpg
    Big, BIG improvement! First things first, you have some soft brush lighting coming from top left diagonally towards the middle which needs to be more transparent because it is too obvious and is a bit obtrusive. Just lower the opacity until it still brightens up the area, but is way less obvious. You can clearly see where the brushing ends, as a guide, drop the opacity until you can barely tell the difference between the two sections.
    The render is centred, however it doesn't really allow for much flow, so it's not too bad, but maybe try and create some movement with the effects and lighting and stuff.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/149/7/6/sasuke_tag_by_xyr1n-d3hjpby.jpg
    Not great this one. The smudging and little effects at the bottom are ok, but you've got massive floating head syndrome and centred focal doesn't allow much dynamics for the tag. Make the render much smaller (so you can see his shoulders at least), and reposition it a little bit to either side (depending on what looks better).
    Also, it is lacking some "oomph", so add more effects, especially ones with different colours, that are taken from the render, or try and create a bit of a scheme that works well together. Not contrasting colours, just some blues or oranges that will go nicely with the greys you currently have.

Last edited:

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/149/c/5/gaara_tag_by_xyr1n-d3hkfdi.jpg
    Big, BIG improvement! First things first, you have some soft brush lighting coming from top left diagonally towards the middle which needs to be more transparent because it is too obvious and is a bit obtrusive. Just lower the opacity until it still brightens up the area, but is way less obvious. You can clearly see where the brushing ends, as a guide, drop the opacity until you can barely tell the difference between the two sections.
    The render is centred, however it doesn't really allow for much flow, so it's not too bad, but maybe try and create some movement with the effects and lighting and stuff.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/149/7/6/sasuke_tag_by_xyr1n-d3hjpby.jpg
    Not great this one. The smudging and little effects at the bottom are ok, but you've got massive floating head syndrome and centred focal doesn't allow much dynamics for the tag. Make the render much smaller (so you can see his shoulders at least), and reposition it a little bit to either side (depending on what looks better).
    Also, it is lacking some "oomph", so add more effects, especially ones with different colours, that are taken from the render, or try and create a bit of a scheme that works well together. Not contrasting colours, just some blues or oranges that will go nicely with the greys you currently have.

Thanks. I took your advice for the Gaara tag and I messed around with the opacity. I hope it looks better know.

gaara_tag_v2_improved_by_xyr1n-d3hywil.jpg

Edit: Since I posted this a few hours ago I'll go ahead and post another tag I made.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/154/5/7/minato_tag_by_xyr1n-d3hzlpn.jpg
    Picture doesn't work.

I can't decide if I like it or not. And if I end up wanting to change something I'll have no idea what to change.

Last edited:

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • New icons are up. Looking for C&C

Team Minato Set
    team_minato_set_minato_by_xyr1n-d3i1mi9.jpg

team_minato_set_obito_by_xyr1n-d3i1mmx.jpg
    team_minato_set_rin_by_xyr1n-d3i1mr2.jpg
    team_minato_set_kakashi_by_xyr1n-d3i1n05.jpg

Got a new tag that I'd put up.

naruto_sage_mode_tag_by_xyr1n-d3i2ouo.jpg

kakashi_tag_paint_splatters_by_xyr1n-d3i4se3.jpg

Yeah. Using vectors and paint splatters to spice it up and add some depth.

Last edited:

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • tags_by_xyr1n-d3dcmlr.jpg

I like this piece the most because of the transparency that was used, and that it gives the image depth, imo. The only thing I dislike is the dark text saying "Silver", I'd prefer it to be just a touch lighter.

Yeah. That was one of my first pieces and I liked the style. The tut was really good and informative.

NEW ICON SET!!!!

Team 7 Chibi!

team_7_chibi_sakura_by_xyr1n-d3iuftk.jpg
    team_7_chibi_naruto_by_xyr1n-d3iufn9.jpg
    team_7_chibi_sasuke_by_xyr1n-d3iufr2.jpg

Like 'em?

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • Okay. New tag is up! This is a RL tag and I finally found a good stock. Not that great though.

eli_tag_by_xyr1n-d3j72xx.png

Advice?

Maraala

a fiery passion
    Years
  • lalala don't mind me

hmmm... They are mostly pretty good, except for the RL one. The blue doesn't look good imo.
    I do love the first Naruto one and the Silver one :P
    Also the icons are pretty good~
    I love how you did the Team Minato ones~

I suck at criticizing

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • I have two Naruto ones. I assume you mean the Sage Mode one right?

Back