• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

P3K Kanto League Beginnings, I: Forests of Varidia

Xlugon Pyro

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • Pokemon 3,000: Kanto League Beginnings
    I: Forests of Varidia

T-Rating
    "Where it all began, it will begin again..."

I will be your humble game master and fellow roleplayer in this massive Pokemon adventure roleplaying game! There's a lot to go over so make sure you set aside a good chunk of time to get the low-down.

What Has Changed
    Much has happened over the centuries. Countless wars between Pokemon and man alike were waged, reshaping the land and hearts of the living. The result of this being the land of Kanto, divided into 6 separate landmasses. Though the evil syndicates of the past have been disbanded, their mark on the world is evident, with the disappearance of the legendaries and the reshaped Pokemon world. The future now seems bright, but man hasn't changed, and the winds still howl the name of a growing darkness in the Pokemon world. Now is the time for heroes once more!

Even competition has changed in the Pokemon world. Gyms have become harder, contests are more prestigious, technology far more advanced, and the Pokemon themselves far more adept, including the discovery of an entirely new type of Pokemon, the light-type! Whether you seek to collect the 6 gym badges, 5 contest ribbons, or various other Pokemon-related competitions, Pokemon training has become more diverse than ever!

Kanto, a vast land has been heavily reshaped throughout the years and political boundaries have shifted:
    Spoiler:

Starting A Journey
    All trainers begin their journey by registering as a licensed Pokemon trainer at IAPS, the Institution for Advanced Pokemon Sciences, where they may select a Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Eevee or sometimes another rare Pokemon from Professor Sarah Oak, a relative of Samuel and Gary Oak of centuries past. This world renown woman aids all trainers as they begin their Kanto journey into the world of Pokemon!

All trainers start with a PokeTech that has all sorts of neat devices in it such as a phone, wireless internet, and of course, a Pokedex! They also receive 5 pokeballs to begin their journeys with.

Where It Begins
    Like all Pokemon adventures, they begin in IAPS in Cinnabar City where trainers will receive their starter Pokemon and/or register for the Kanto League or obtain their contest pass to enter contests across Kanto. Most trainers make their way to Varidia, a lush green land known for their agricultural and entertainment industries and home to the first Kanto gym.

Our gang will meet in the IAPS lobby where they will be guided through the process of beginning their journey, meeting up with each other, and riding the express flight over to New Pallet Town to begin their adventures in Kanto. Get ready for a grand adventure into the future of Pokemon!

Pokemon And Master
    Pokemon in the future are more amazing than ever! They can learn up to 8 moves, utilize a new Pokemon type, and are found in even more places than before! In P3K, trainers have the opportunity to teach their Pokemon new moves or catch a Pokemon they come across in their journeys, just as if they were characters in the anime!

Though starting movesets are determined by me, if you want to see a Pokemon in order to catch it or teach it a new move, simply fill out a request in the OOC thread and you might just get what you wish for!

Rules Of The Game

ONE: I am the game master. My ruling is final. I control several aspects of the RP and I determine the outcome of the events. I will be as fair as I can and ensure the enjoyment of all participants.

TWO: Follow basic roleplaying and PC rules. Godmodding, bunnying, metagaming, etc. isn't allowed. I will determine the outcome of events and they will be fair. Period. Not everyone can win, and everyone will lose some.

THREE: Be creative and think outside of the box. I will favor players who develop unique and interesting characters and who show off their character in a consistent manner when it comes to training their Pokemon. Just be aware that some characters will be better at Pokemon training than others, so create the right character!

FOUR: Develop a strong character and make them unique and interesting, as well as the Pokemon you obtain. You get to control your character (obviously) and their Pokemon. What happens to your character in the RP is based on how well you roleplay your character and their Pokemon and how believable you make it appear. Mary/Gary Sues will not last a minute here.

FIVE: Movesets, the Pokemon we encounter, what attacks hit, what happens to who, who gets what, is ALL determined by me, as I am the game master. Things can't always go your way. You're cooperating with several roleplayers, so respect them. You win some, you lose some. If you want your Pokemon to learn a move or you want to obtain a certain Pokemon, send me a request via PM. The form will be posted in the OOC thread.

SIX: I am seeking EXCEPTIONAL roleplayers who will commit to an RP and be fairly active in it. If the first one goes well, I will continue the RP into Lunalnan and on from there, but that requires people to be here to respond, and I want them to be good. New roleplayers feel free to apply, but I will be fairly strict with sign-ups and I will select the best there is with those who have the most interesting sign-up. One post a day is the minimum unless you give me a good excuse in advance.

Time To Sign Up!
    So you want to give it a shot, eh? Well, here it is! Keep your application clean, easily readable, use the English language well, and create a great character!

NOTE: Keep your character unique from the pack. Ideally, I'd like each character to have different ultimate objectives but have enough of a reason to travel together. You don't have to compete in the Kanto League or Kanto Contests, and I prefer it if not everyone does.

Name: (First and last. Nicknames and middle names optional.)
    Age: (16 is the youngest allowed age to train Pokemon in any region, whether you do contests or gyms or not. Not accepting any characters over 24.)
    Profession: (What aspect of Pokemon do you specialize in? Do you specialize in a specific type or species? Are you a standard trainer? A coordinator? A doctor, researcher, athlete, scientist, intern, student, artist, watcher, professor, chef, police officer, secret agent, connoisseur, stylist? How does your character interact with their Pokemon and what do they want to accomplish with them? Look to the anime for ideas if you need them or ask me if you want ideas. Be creative!)
    Competition: (Are you competing in the Kanto League by challenging gyms? Are you entering contests to make it to the Grand Festival? Are you competing in a smaller competitive Pokemon based competition like ping pong or pokeathlons? Are you non-competitive and just want to raise Pokemon? Where does your character's aspirations lie?)
    Experience: (Some characters might be new to Pokemon trainers while others may not. Please state your experience but make it appropriate for your character's age.)
    Nationality: (Singabbarian, Varidian, Lunalnian, Avendorian, Fuschjian, or Indigalian. Try to pick one nobody else has chosen. Kanto outsiders are permitted but I prefer people from Kanto and thus you better produce an amazing app. if you want to be from outside Kanto. I'm only allowing one app. per outsider per region, so if 2 people want to be outsiders from Johto, only one can be from Johto.)
    Hometown: (Refer to the map and pick any town in that region. Seafoam islands are part of Singabbar while the Cerulean archipelago is split. The south island is Lunalnan, the north being Avendorias. If you are from outside Kanto, list your hometown as N/A. We don't know how other regions look yet.)
    Starter: (These aren't guaranteed so you'll be requesting 2 Pokemon and getting only 1 of the 2 in the RP. First list your standard 4 pick, then pick one you'd rather have as a starter. If you'd rather start with one of the standard 4, then only list which of those you want. The second one isn't required, but a standard 4 pick is mandatory. The second choice must be the lowest evolved form in its family. No evolving Pokemon are a case-by-case basis. If you aren't just starting out but already have Pokemon, list this as N/A. Give me the gender and natures you want for each of them, though keep in mind you should select natures based on how you want it to act, not because it gives the stats you want in the games!)
    Personality: (Describe your character's behavior, likes, dislikes, passions, dreams, etc. Make your character interesting and fun. One that can really add a solid dynamic to the group! Give a solid description of a few paragraphs.)
    Appearance: (Ugly, beautiful, whatever. As long as it's realistic. Be sure to describe each aspect of the character thoroughly, minus the obvious things that need not be mentioned. Eyes, hair, skin, face, body type, height, typical clothing style for various weather conditions, accessories if there are any, and tattoos if there are any. Don't draw it out but give us a clear idea of what your character looks like. No pictures are allowed unless they the EXACT appearance of your character and it is a picture created by you and you alone. You still have to fully describe them in writing with or without a picture. A few solid paragraphs is expected.)
    Biography: (Give me a solid idea of your character's background. It doesn't have to be too in-depth but I want to know how the character related to family and people he or she knew growing up, how their environment affected them, how they came to decide to train Pokemon, etc. If you need information on a nation or region where they're from, ask me first. If you're from outside Kanto, this is lest restricted but you will have to talk to me first before submitting a bio.)
    Pokemon: (This is for experienced trainers only. New trainers getting their starters will NOT fill this out and instead list it as N/A. Experienced trainers must underline the one that was their starter. I may ask you to change the Pokemon you have based on the character you give me. I want genders and natures for them as well. Remember, make sure natures match how you will roleplay each Pokemon.)

Accepted Trainer Sign-ups
    Since applications are under way, I'll be posting the status of applications so you'll all know how everything's turning out. There's no need to reserve a spot because there are an indefinite amount of spots. When I feel there are enough, I will close future applications, so if you're interested, sign-up ASAP before I decide we have enough people.

Xoxaa Lizarkia; Singabbar played by Xlugon Pyro; ACCEPTED
    Leonard Radcliff; Indigalos played by Raikiri; ACCEPTED
    Riku Kimura; Varidia played by Charizard_Man; ACCEPTED

And there you have it! I will throw up my own sign-up soon so people can become familiar with my character, as well as the format I expect for those who may still be confused.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Xlugon Pyro

Dragon Tamer
    Years
  • Well I guess I better get this started then. If anyone has questions about the application process, feel free to ask.

Name: Xoxaa Lizarkia
    Profession: Dragon-type/species Trainer
    Competition: Kanto League
    Experience: Starting Trainer
    Nationality: Singabbarian
    Hometown: Volcandrok Town
    Starter: Charmander (M/Bold) or Dratini (M/Timid)
    Personality: Xoxaa is quite the energetic character in an environment she's comfortable in. She can be quite loud and goofy around good friends and she has a bit of a mischievous side too. When it's crunch time, she will rise to the challenge and face it head on. Her brave nature complements her overly dramatic streak, often one to describe something a little too strongly. Her goofy behavior rubs off on others in different ways, but more often it tends to make her look too cute, so others tend to not take her seriously because of it.
    Most wouldn't expect it at first glance, but Xoxaa is a very critical person, though she doesn't always express it. She pushes her Pokemon hard to excel, and can be very blunt about others as well, though she is less likely to express it as her honesty has gotten her in trouble in the past. Even her food she is picky about, and although she loves to eat, she loves to eat top quality food only. Her overachieving nature often hides her intelligent side, which is scarcely seen except in a serious discussion or in a heated Pokemon battle.
    The least you'd expect out of Xoxaa is for her to be shy, but she's incredibly shy around new people, especially bigger people and people who seem too interested in her too soon. She's also easy to blush, so she's known to do a variety of things under social anxiety such as running away and hiding, or curling up into a ball and hiding her face. She doesn't have much social pizazz as it stands and makes up for it by being obnoxious, which unfortunately backfires a lot.
    The girl is also quite modest, which you normally wouldn't expect with her behavior. She doesn't like to brag much and will downplay any praise you give her. This is not to be confused with her confidence, as she's fairly skilled at keeping them both in check.
    Appearance: A teenager approaching her prime, Xoxaa is quite the looker, but if you'd ask her, she'd describe herself modestly. Her skin is a light peachy color and is well cared for. Her hair is a rich auburn, often put up in two spiky long ponytails in the back with a few strands left out front covering part of her forehead and her ears. The girl's eyes are a vivid green that complements her hair well. She has a well proportioned face, and a youthful one at that, though she has mostly a cute face. Her body has a pretty decent, healthy build. She's a bit of an athlete, with decently sized leg and arm muscles and little body fat, but she's nothing extraordinary.
    Despite her more athletic body, she still has plenty of prominent lady-like features, such as her decently sized bust, hips, and rear. They all go together well with her body, giving her an attractive, young look. She's of about average height, being around 5' 6" and is at a healthy weight. Her clothing style is mostly modest until you get below the belt. She usually wears colorful shirts, sometimes thick sweaters in cold weather that completely cover her torso. However she almost exclusively wears mini skirts, even in cold weather. Though she comes prepared with long, thick socks for such conditions. Her socks are shorter in warmer weather, ending below her knees and are often also very colorful, though they tend to be blue most often. She wears stylish but adventure ready white boots so she can tackle any obstacle in the wilderness. She also wears soft black and green trainer gloves that cover her fingers.
    Biography: Xoxaa comes from a long line of dragon-type trainers and breeders that originated from separate family lines from Johto and Unova, but ultimately led to them meeting and settling on Cinnabar Island in Kanto. Xoxaa was born in Volcandrok Town, a town nestled in a valley just under Cinnabar Volcano's shadow in the southern portion of Cinnabar Island in Kanto. She grew up with a mother who was once a renowned dragon-type Pokemon trainer but has become a breeder of these Pokemon instead, the gym leader of the Volcandrok Town gym, and a guardian of the rare dragon Pokemon that reside within the volcano's depths. It is here she learned the basics of Pokemon and became fascinated with the mystical dragon-type.
    Xoxaa had a relatively average life, though she had few if any friends and was often harassed by the students at the school she went to. She also had a hard time relating and connecting to Pokemon, often getting hurt in the process. Despite this, she still loved Pokemon and wanted to be a trainer. Being a dragon-type lover in an often divided town, her peers who favored fire-type Pokemon would make her their prime target of abuse, but even the dragon-type fans didn't like her all that much. A lot of this changed when her and her peers became teenagers. Even though people started to give her lots of positive attention, she knew them from when she was young so she knew how superficial they were.
    Even in her teens Xoxaa wasn't too good with Pokemon, and though she was bright, her perfectionist nature held her back in school. Regardless, she passed her classes at an average level and was soon to turn 16 and be eligible to train Pokemon. Once her birthday came, she set out for Cinnabar City to start her journey.
    Pokemon: N/A

Last edited:

Legend

Kingslayer
    Years
  • Name: Leonard "Leon" Argyle Radcliff
    Profession: Standard, Competitive Trainer
    Competition: Kanto League
    Experience: Relatively Experienced is probably the best way to put it.
    Nationality: Indigalos
    Hometown: Legend Town
    Starter: N/A

Personality: Leon is the definition of an inflated ego. Ambitious, attention seeking, selfish and vain, Leon is a hard man to like but an easy one to admire. Goal-orientated, Leon aims high and never looks back stopping at nothing to accomplish what he desires. As such, Leon is stubborn to a fault, never accepting defeat. Having witnessed failure so few times, Leon has built up quite the ego, unnecessarily feeding it at any given time. He is a glory hog and a narcissist, reading his long list of accomplishments at inappropriate times. This captures the imagination of the weak minded, but would annoy the more aware. Leon loves reveling his accomplishments and his admirers more than anything in the world. Leon is notably fearless and brave to the point of stupidity, never backing away from a challenge or endeavor. To him, challenges are meant to be overcome and it is the only way one can test themselves. Leon is known to carry himself with a fairly easy going nature, until challenges or opportunities for success present themselves. It is then that he shifts to a more serious and intense tone, and his bottled up emotions rise to the surface.

As mentioned before, Leon is also selfish and vain, putting his priorities, desires and well being above others most of the time. He honestly sees himself as better than most people and as such he needs take paramount priority. As a result, Leon often ignores others to the point of being ignorant and borderline rude to others, completely oblivious to those less fortunate. You could say his vanity has blinded him to many of the world's problems, making him naive to a certain extent. Due to the need to put himself first, Leon is somewhat rebellious and insubordinate. Laws are inconvenient to Leon and he won't follow most of them unless he is compelled to do so. In groups, Leon rarely plays the second fiddle, opposing the so called leader at every turn. That being said, Leon is a terrible leader. He fails to inspire others and his own arrogance would destroy any sense of unity. He is aware of that much. His vanity does get the best of him at times as seen by the fact that he is overly conscious about his appearance and how people perceive him, disliking anyone hating him for reasons outside of his beauty or success. He does enjoy when people are green with envy.

Leon is guilty of being irresponsible and forgetful on top of being reckless. Leon is a man of action, leaping into situations with little regard of the outcome. It is not that is incapable of calculating the results of his actions but more than he does not care. One could call Leon an optimist as he assumes that everything will go well. One could call him a fool for causing more problems for everyone else. He rarely takes responsibility for his own actions, relying on his charm to get him out of trouble. Leon loves to improvise and take things at it comes, refusing to plan or discuss his future for long. He forgets important details frequently due to his short memory and desire to only retain information relating to himself or the things he cares about. Leon is also guilty of being temperamental, often exploding with angry when things don't go his way. This includes any sort of loss or setback. He rarely accepts a loss unless it was to be expected (such as if he fought someone who was past his level only to see where was at). He lacks patience and self control in these situations and well often resort to violence to mend them. Immaturity also gets the best of him at times and small bouts of insanity can occur, mostly in that he reacts to certain situations in ways most people don't.

Leon is a social butterfly, loving to interact with others regularly. Though many of these interactions are limited to him boasting, Leon is capable of intelligent conversation. A solid student in school, Leon is above average on the intelligence scale which would explain why his improvisations succeed more than most. Leon is talkative and active, constantly moving and meeting new people. Leon never shy away from attention and often jumps into them with a grin. Leon enjoys people and interaction and if someone genuinely interests him, he will hold back his ego to show a less superficial side to him. This does not mean that Leon has a golden heart, but instead that Leon is a genuinely friendly person whose high aspirations turn off many because of the way that he carries himself. Leon mostly notably has a soft spot for women, flirting with them with mixed results. He is guilty of going out of his way to impress them, often looking foolish in the process.

Appearance: Leon would consider himself a beautiful prince in an appearance and few people disagree. Aspiring to become a celebrity, Leon pays a great deal of attention to his looks and it reflects that. His skin has a healthy, natural tan and it has a fair texture with few impurities on any given spot. His face has youthful energy to it, aided by his deep blue and inviting eyes. While the eyes don't do the amazing sparkling effect, many women have been mesmerized by them at least enough to give the typical comments that men with blue eyes receive. Leon's cheeks are slightly rosy, giving him the appearance of a child. His square jawline, prominent nose bridge, and thinner than average lips give him a more masculine edge, which he is quite proud of. Leon's most noticeable trait, however, is his full, thick, luscious blonde hair. His hair is quite long and difficult to tame. While it lacks a distinct style preferring to fall into his face giving him an almost scruffy look to him, Leon takes good care of it using expensive hair care products to give it bounce and making it soft to the touch. He loves his hair so much that he is guilty of playing with it when bored.

Leon has been gifted with a superb body that keeps him from gaining too much weight and becoming completely unattractive. He is fairly tall for his age, clocking it around 5"11 with a healthy weight of around 160 pounds. Leon is thin, being overly conscious of his weight. While he is "healthy", Leon is guilty of constantly dieting, robbing his body of valuable nutrients. Therefore, he has little muscle development and appears almost frail at times (though he manages to be above average in athletics, being an exceptional runner).

Leon dresses in a manner fitting those who are conscious of their appearance. He is most often seen wearing dark casual or dress shirts, often in shades of blue or black, usually with a plain black undershirt. The shirts are usually plain with few designs, though pinstripes or medieval style designs occasionally spur up. He favors jeans that are the standard faded blue denim complete with a stonewashed accent given to them, supplying character and individuality. To keep his pants from having a date with the ground, Leon wears a black leather belt with a sliver buckle complete with the utility attachments to carry PokeBalls. Enjoy accessories, Leon has invested in several pieces of jewelry, including a silver chain necklace, a silver chain bracelet on his right hand and a fancy silver watch on his left hand.

History: Born and raised in Legend Town, Leon was fortunate to be born in a wealthy family who supported him along the way. An only child, Leon was basked in attention from his CEO of a father and his overly critical mother pushed him to succeed. Early on, Leon was thought success or bust and it was a lesson he took to heart. He made sure to always be dressed for success. He made sure to apply himself to every action he made. He made sure to take life seriously when it was important. Leon wanted nothing more than to be the best. Like no one ever was.

With this mentality drilled into his brain, school was a breeze and became a playground. Classes were rifled with opportunities to show off his scholastic knowledge. Sports oozed with chances to surpass his peers. Pokemon were living, breathing challenges to tame and utilize for his own desires. Early on, Leon succeeded and became obsessed with the idea of becoming a living legend. Conquering the league was the greatest challenge for him to accept. It was an obvious decision.

His early teenage years were nothing but the years setting Leon up for further glory and when valuable life lessons were taught. Leon continued to succeed in most fields he dared dabble in. He gained legions of fans in his experiments, though he gained few friends as few interested him. The growing obsession in becoming a legend blinded him to the outside world. It did not help that he saw everything as an obstacle, a distraction. Unnecessary distractions that were better off ignored. He studied hard, trained hard, worked hard. Leon lost himself along the way and began seeing people as tools for his improvement. People grew concerned and worried. Most people knew each other in Legend Town, and news of Leon's unhealthy obsession got around quickly. Leon's father knew what had to be done. He just waited for the right time.

It was when he was 16 and acquired his first Pokemon that he learned the value of losing, the value of experience and the value of caring. Up until then, Leon never experienced true failure. Everything was based on calculations or expectations. Upon acquiring a Pokemon and training it, Leon did everything by the book. He trained hard, healed his Pokemon, possibly scolded it, and trained some more. Rinse, repeat. A few weeks later, before Leon was ready to officially embark on his quest, his father challenged him to a small battle.

Leon lost horribly.

It was a clean defeat. Leon could argue that his dad cheated or anything. But he realized something. Something he missed.

"Don't push yourself too hard, son. Failure is a vital step in success. Learn from your mistakes. But most importantly, learn to live. Learn to let life come to you. Enjoy your life. Enjoy your companions. Pokemon are not tools. They are your comrades. Fight with them. Don't let them fight for you."

It was these words that spoke to Leon. And it was those words that resonated with him.

Pokemon:

Eevee, Male, Bold

Pikachu, Female, Naughty

Slowpoke, Male, Calm

Charmeleon, Male, Jolly

Last edited:
    Years
  • "A Smile Can Hide a Thousand Tears..."

Name➟
    Riku Kimura
    Age➟
    Seventeen
    Gender➟
    Male
    Title ➟
    Multi-Type, Competitive Trainer
    Competition ➟
    Kanto League
    Experience➟
    Riku has strong connections with many people close to Pokemon. Apart from having a locally famous ex-trainer as his grandfather, Riku's elder sister, Brigitte, is a successful Pokemon Contest coordinator. During his childhood he was raised and trained under his grandfather, a once highly revered Pokemon Trainer, which has allowed his Machop and even he himself to grow and gain valuable knowledge.
    Nationality➟
    Varidia
    Hometown➟
    New Pallet Town
    Starter➟
    N/A

Personality➟
    Wracked with inner suffering, Riku has a bitter attitude and a quet demeanor with an IQ through the roof. A tormented young man, Riku has always longed for acceptance in the world, constantly floating from book to book in search for more knowledge. Exceptionally smart and quick thinking, he has a tendency to over-analyze things, and has a very aloof attitude towards other people. Sometimes harsh and outright mean, Riku only spares the feelings of his family and elders. Although hyperaware about everything, he's learned to camouflage it with a dense nonchalant attitude towards anyting and everything, resulting in his social skills being null. Some of this was rectified after the local youth basketball coach beguiled him into joining the team, revealing him to be a capable team player in spite of his lone wolf tendencies.

Among the youth in his town, he is always the calm and poised one, who knows his limits and sets his priorities straight. In spite of the more negative traits brought on by his life, he cares deeply for people and Pokemon, despite his usually cold exterior. He is notably stoic and melancholy. He's not the typical brooding loner, but he does try and keep a distance from others if only to avoid attachment. As a defence mechanism, he has the tendency to be sardonic and flippant, making dry observations about what's happened in an attempt to shrug things off. Kumo is also – more or less by default – a cynic with a pessimistic and pragmatic attitude; when faced with a problem, he'll find a method that works regardless of any morality behind it, but expect the worst in any case, because it's more logically sound – no sense getting your hopes up about something if they're just going to get crushed again.

Appearance➟
    Riku has the traits considered very different than the usual Varidian native, the most notable difference is his skin color: unlike most other people in his town he does not have light colored or pale skin, but instead a very beautiful tan that sets his apart. He has short dark hair fashioned into a faux-hawk. What makes people double take when looking at Riku are his bright golden amber eyes, everyone in town says they are his mother's eyes. Once upon a time, he could easily appear gaunt due to his underweight and short form. However, the passing years managed to throw lean meat and muscle on his bones and stretch his height. Able to receive adequate nourishment, participate in sports and the growing that comes with puberty all worked in thrusting his new clean-limbed, 165 pound 5'10" form.

Having at least one outfit to match the weather, during the somewhat chilly fall season he is seen decked out in a light grey snapback hat facing backwards, royal blue flat bill and a small embroidered logo of a Sharpedo biting a fishing rod in half emanating thin rays over an arched royal blue word reading VERIDIAN and directly underneath the logo in smaller royal blue letters bordered in white reads: SHARPEDOS. A light grey crewneck sweatshirt with large royal blue letters covering the entire front reading: "COOL STORY BRO," with smaller font underneath reading: "tell it again.". He wears a large white g-shockwatch on his left wrist, his sleeve is pushed up slightly to leave the watch fully visible. He wears a pair of dark blue colored skinny jeans, sagging just a bit, and a pair of light grey jordan sneakers loosely tied that matched his crewneck and hat. He wears a golden colored, wooden pendant around his neck, beads hanging around his neck and down to his abdomen where the actual diamond shaped pendant hangs along with a black lanyard, without keys, and white cursive letters reading: illest, over and over again. A square diamond stud on each ear and a small circular lip piercing on the left side of his bottom lip.

On those hotter summer days he replaces his wardrobe, wearing a black snapback hat facing forward, a red flat bill and a small embroidered logo of a Bouffalant next to embroidered letters reading CYAN BOUFALLANTS. A clean black tee with a single red rectangular box with white letters reading: Supreme. The same white watch but since he's not wearing a short sleeve his thin black wristband is also revealed with his watch with red letters reading "I ♥ BOOBIES" and a white wristband on his other wrist reading "LIKE A BOSS". He wears a pair of camo cargo shorts and long black socks with loosely tied black and white low-top converse sneakers.

Biography➟
    Riku was born Veridian City, and grew up within the folds of his parent's upper-class, snobby society. Despite his parent's rules for general ettiquette and the like, he completely disregarded everything they tried to teach him. His books what were he immersed himself into.

Riku's mother died in a car crash when he was six, and his father was so stricken by her death he attempted suicide. When that failed, his father left Riku and his sister Brigitte to the care of their grandfather, Papa Kimura, as he was known to the citizens of New Pallet Town where he lived. His grandfather, the once highly acclaimed top ranked trainer in the area, was happy to take care of his grandchildren and enrolled them in the local Pokemon Academy. Riku completely drowned himself in his studies to try and keep his mind off everything, his grandfather even went out of his way to train his grandson in the ways of Pokemon Training. Being the new kid in school he was picked on, but he always though it was because of his unique eye color, or even his tanned skin. But then again, it could very well have been his reclusive nature, or his habit to go around correcting all the idiot zit faces on their grammar skills. Or perhaps it was the way he walked, slow and easy, as if knowing there was no particular rush to life. He was popular with most of the pretty girls because he'd put the stupid meat heads that hit on the girls down with scathing ability. It didn't hurt he was decent looking and dressed well, consequently he was about as popular with the guys as a cockroach. Unlike his sister, who was popular with everyone.

Once he turned thirteen he left the academy, much like his sister did a year before. Unlike his sister however, he would not go around competing in Pokemon contests, but instead travel to the tallest peak of Indigalos with his grandfather to train for years. His grandfather was hard on him, even leaving him alone on the mountain tops with his only companion being the baby Machop he was given by his grandfather. On his sixteenth birthday, he arrived back home in New Pallet Town. His sister had become a famous coordinator in those three years, her posters all around the small town. His grandfather decided it was time he went on a real journey, by himself with no master to help him. So that's how he came to sign up for the Kanto League..

Pokemon➟
    Machop[♂]
    Gentle Nature

•Bulbasaur[♂]
    Bashful Nature

Last edited:

Xlugon Pyro

Dragon Tamer
    Years
  • @Raikiri
    Quite the interesting character you have there. I'm hoping for a good deal of character development from him and you seem to have a grasp on everything pretty well. Your Pokemon are perfectly fine too. I may be a tad confused by the timeline you gave though. I read that he started as a trainer at 16 and has been training for a year and yet he's 19 and still has only two Pokemon, both unevolved. Nothing wrong with the latter though it is odd, but unless I misunderstood something, 1+16 doesn't equal 19.

You also forgot to underline your starter. I know I can probably guess which is which, but I want to keep things consistent amongst everyone. That aside, your character looks good. Just clarify the above and make the necessary changes as you see fit. I would also like you to fix one more thing which I'll explain at the bottom of this post.

@Charizard_Man:

Title ➟
    "Local Hotshot"
    This is likely my fault. By asking for a title, I didn't want an actual title, but more or less I want to know what kind of trainer your character is. I'll edit this into the application but I need to know if you're just raising Pokemon for some non-competitive reason or if you're competing in something such as contests, gyms, pokeathletics, pokestylists, etc.

I'll have you add a portion to your application to fill out since I wasn't clear enough on my request.

Experience➟
    Riku has strong connections with many people close to Pokemon. Apart from having a locally famous ex-trainer as his grandfather, Riku's elder sister, Brigitte, is a successful Pokemon Contest coordinator. During his childhood, he was raised and trained in Fuchjal under the Chrome Gymleader which allowed his Machop and even he himself to grow and gain valuable knowledge.
    Next problem. Again not your fault but you'll need to edit this.

The Chrome City gym is a steel type gym and as such doesn't accept any old apprentice. Gym apprentices are specialists of the gym's type, which in this case would be steel types. Not to mention the Chrome City gym is one of the strangest and most difficult to become an apprentice of.

There is a fighting type gym that would take up a trainer with a Machop, but again they only accept apprentices who use exclusively their gym's type of Pokemon and the worst part is, the fighting gym is the most prestigious Kanto gym to become an apprentice of.

This of course may mean that he isn't from Fuschjal anymore so it's up to you how you want to spruce that up.

Appearance➟
    Riku has the traits considered very different than the usual Varidian native, being filipino he has very nice slightly tanned skin, and short dark hair fashioned into a faux-hawk.
    Problem here is, a filipino doesn't exist in the Pokemon world. I know there are references to real world places in the anime and even the games themselves, but this Pokemon world is it's own.

I can understand its use as a form of description of his appearance, but you'd have to change how you word it.

Having at least one outfit to match the weather, during the somewhat chilly fall season he is seen decked out in a light grey snapback hat facing backwards, royal blue flat bill and a small embroidered logo of a Garchomp biting a fishing rod in half emanating thin rays over an arched royal blue word reading VERIDIAN and directly underneath the logo in smaller royal blue letters bordered in white reads: SHARKS.
    The article of clothing is fine except for sharks. Sharks don't exist in Pokemon, but a similar Pokemon does: Sharpedo.

On those hotter summer days he replaces his wardrobe, wearing a black snapback hat facing forward, a red flat bill and a small embroidered logo of a Tauros next to embroidered letters reading CYAN BULLS.
    Same thing as before. Just change bulls to Tauros or Bouffalant or however you spell that Pokemon's name. Whichever you prefer.

I'm not going to quote your biography but there are bits of things I already picked up on earlier I'd like you to fix. Also, I'm concerned that your character might have too much of a depressing background and it comes off as a b it Gary Sue-ish. I'm not asking you to fix it, I am just expressing my concerns because I want to be sure the character can follow along with the group and have some good character development going on.

You also have a few spelling errors littered throughout your application. It's nothing serious, though I'd like you to try and clean it up, especially when it's time for the roleplay to start.

@Both
    I'm removing the Title part of the application and adding the Profession and Competition sections to the application. Add these to your sign-ups and fill them out appropriately according to the directions I'll give you in the original post.

Also, now that we have some sign ups, I'll be going ahead and start setting up the OOC thread so we can begin some of the RP's discussion there. I'll also explain how Pokemon progression will work there.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Next problem. Again not your fault but you'll need to edit this.

The Chrome City gym is a steel type gym and as such doesn't accept any old apprentice. Gym apprentices are specialists of the gym's type, which in this case would be steel types. Not to mention the Chrome City gym is one of the strangest and most difficult to become an apprentice of.

There is a fighting type gym that would take up a trainer with a Machop, but again they only accept apprentices who use exclusively their gym's type of Pokemon and the worst part is, the fighting gym is the most prestigious Kanto gym to become an apprentice of.

This of course may mean that he isn't from Fuschjal anymore so it's up to you how you want to spruce that up.

Well to just make things easier I'll just change it so that his grandfather trained him instead, sound reasonable.?

Problem here is, a filipino doesn't exist in the Pokemon world. I know there are references to real world places in the anime and even the games themselves, but this Pokemon world is it's own.

I can understand its use as a form of description of his appearance, but you'd have to change how you word it.

Should I just take the word filipino out? Just say he has tanned skin.?

The article of clothing is fine except for sharks. Sharks don't exist in Pokemon, but a similar Pokemon does: Sharpedo.

Same thing as before. Just change bulls to Tauros or Bouffalant or however you spell that Pokemon's name. Whichever you prefer.

Hmmm okay fair enough, i'll change them. I was just trying to add some basketball teams to the pokemon world, cause i know there are baseball teams since Ash mentions them back in the Johto season haha.

I'm not going to quote your biography but there are bits of things I already picked up on earlier I'd like you to fix. Also, I'm concerned that your character might have too much of a depressing background and it comes off as a b it Gary Sue-ish. I'm not asking you to fix it, I am just expressing my concerns because I want to be sure the character can follow along with the group and have some good character development going on.

You also have a few spelling errors littered throughout your application. It's nothing serious, though I'd like you to try and clean it up, especially when it's time for the roleplay to start.

Garyy sue-ish how, you mean like the typical rival type? I understand i kind of had the same thought as i was writing it, but don't worry i plan on having LOTS of character development for him. I've planned way ahead once i saw you're putting strong emphasis on an anime-style group and I think he'll work out just fine in the group. Of course he'll start off lonerish but it'll change. Alright I understand, I'll just and watch what i type. I just hope i don't have any spelling mistakes while i'm typing this -______- lol.

Legend

Kingslayer
    Years
  • I believe I made the required edits, but please tell me if I missed anyway. The reason why my party was "weak" (is that the right word?) was because I did not want to be too ahead of anyone else, primarily the newcomers. But then I realized that I am playing the egoistical one in the group so who am I fooling? I should be better than everyone else :P

Xlugon Pyro

Dragon Tamer
    Years

• Well to just make things easier I'll just change it so that his grandfather trained him instead, sound reasonable.?
    That's just fine.

Should I just take the word filipino out? Just say he has tanned skin.?
    That's fine as well.

Hmmm okay fair enough, i'll change them. I was just trying to add some basketball teams to the pokemon world, cause i know there are baseball teams since Ash mentions them back in the Johto season haha.
    You're absolutely right. They're all named after Pokemon though, such as the Electabuzz.

Garyy sue-ish how, you mean like the typical rival type? I understand i kind of had the same thought as i was writing it, but don't worry i plan on having LOTS of character development for him. I've planned way ahead once i saw you're putting strong emphasis on an anime-style group and I think he'll work out just fine in the group. Of course he'll start off lonerish but it'll change. Alright I understand, I'll just and watch what i type. I just hope i don't have any spelling mistakes while i'm typing this -______- lol.
    It's just that he has a rather depressing background and it shows in who he is as well. It's not a problem, just a concern but it seems you have it all planned out which is good.

There's a few errors, mainly in capitalization but it's nothing major. :P

I believe I made the required edits, but please tell me if I missed anyway. The reason why my party was "weak" (is that the right word?) was because I did not want to be too ahead of anyone else, primarily the newcomers. But then I realized that I am playing the egoistical one in the group so who am I fooling? I should be better than everyone else :P
    It's a good thing to consider the others who'll be in the group, but I did allow for more experienced trainers to take part. After all, Ash began his journey traveling with two people with more experience than he had.

Your Pokemon picks are fine though. It's a little odd that you haven't evolved eevee yet but maybe you prefer him to stay an eevee.

Raikiri's application is ACCEPTED.

Legend

Kingslayer
    Years
  • If you are okay with him being an umbreon then I'll change with glee. I intend for himnto evolve I just didn't know when or how it would work.

Years
  • O.O you're right, lol. Done, changed it. Sorry again, i forgot. :b BTW, if you want a picture of my character for better understanding of how he looks, about his facial features and the way he dresses, let me know. I based him on myself so i can just grab a pic from my tumblr. ^__^

Xlugon Pyro

Dragon Tamer
    Years
  • O.O you're right, lol. Done, changed it. Sorry again, i forgot. :b BTW, if you want a picture of my character for better understanding of how he looks, about his facial features and the way he dresses, let me know. I based him on myself so i can just grab a pic from my tumblr. ^__^

Nah it's fine.

Charizard_Man's application is ACCEPTED.

Also I submitted the OOC thread and am just waiting for confirmation before it goes up.

Hoping for some more sign-ups soon. :)

Xlugon Pyro

Dragon Tamer
    Years
  • I made some significant edits to reduce the bulk of the RP intro so it would be less intimidating. Hopefully we'll get some quality apps soon. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2016
    Samuel Obadiah Woodsworth

Name: Samuel (Shades) Obadiah Woodsworth (Prefers Obadiah over Samuel)
    Profession: Obadiah is a contractor/carpenter. Well, he was a contractor/carpenter. Advances in technology, while exciting to the general public, tend to mean the job of a hard working laborer is about to be replaced by a kid behind a computer. Obadiah was always terrible with technology, and he didn't trust it enough to take it on a date to get to know it better. Obadiah worked with his hands. It was the only way to truly build something worth looking at. Unfortunately, most of his employers didn't think the same way. Less expensive equaled better looking. Life is just that way, right? I mean, it isn't like Obadiah couldn't just find another job as a laborer, right? Wrong. Why hirer a human when a pokemon can do the job for a much reduced pay? Terrible at technology and knowing nothing of pokemon, Obadiah was force to choose between learning one of the two. After a year of trying, he went with his second choice of pokemon. Obadiah doesn't have a specialty. Unless not wanting to be a pokemon anything counts.

Competition: Obadiah considers pokemon to be for adults who never grow up. Wastes of time, money, and sanity. I'm not sure the thought of competing with said grown children in gladiator style battles with birds and rats would appeal much to him. Contests? I'll just let you figure out the answer to that (Embarrassment and Shame, I chose you!). Yeah, Obadiah doesn't have a competitive goal. Not much planning has gone into this decision. His hand has more or less been forced. I'll still not sure if he will even want to catch anything beyond his starter at the moment. (The thought of having him be in a contest intrigues me. I'm not sure how he would react or even if it would be possible to make him do one. We shall see……)

Experience: Obadiah has a lot of experience. None of it has anything to do with pokemon. He is a pretty awesome swing dancer though. Are there any swing dancing pokemon with a strong like for carpentry? (That is actually a serious question. I don't know much about pokemon beyond what I remember from when I play the first game when it first came out.)
    Nationality: Avendorian (This seems good enough. I don't know what it means though. Yeah….)

Hometown: Technis Town (That sounds like a place that would have a lot of technology to push someone out of work…right? Right!? I don't know! I'm so confused! What was that noise! THE VOICES!)

Starter:
    1.) Eevee, Female, Naive (I'm going to be playing under the assumption that Obadiah doesn't actually get to choose what pokemon he gets. That way he will be forced to travel with the cutest most unmanly thing possible. His pain bring me joy.)

2.) Buneary, Female, Timid (No. didn't think so. Would have been funny though. But if you want to say yes, the joy it would bring me as Obadiah suffered would be immense. Probably one of my favorite RP experiences was RPing a tough trainer with a Buneary. Still no? Fine…)

Real 2.) Ekans, Male, Quirky (I could find anything overly cute that wasn't round from the first 151 that I really wanted to role-play.)

Personality: If his appearance was not indication enough, Obadiah is not the happiest camper in the world. Life events and bad timing have left him angry and defeated when it comes to searching and finding happiness in the evolving land that he lives. It is a hard thing to feel unneeded and unnecessary. He is closed off around others, preferring to ignore than deal with questions or personalities that want to interact with him. When he does interact, however, it usually involves harsh jokes or shallow comments. Often times it is difficult to tell whether what he says is truly what he believes or whether it is just another way of him saying "leave me alone." Obadiah is aggressively defensive to consistent pestering and has no qualms with intimidating others if it will get them to shut up. The boy doesn't view life as an opportunity to find or experience happiness, rather seeing it as something that is meant to be survived.

Obadiah is not a violent man. He is actually very caring and concerned with those who are closest to him. Unfortunately, the number of people willing to break through his rather thick shell is pretty small. The young man uses his impressive build to keep people at a distance, especially when doing good. People love heroes. Heroes allow the weak to stay weak. Obadiah has no desire to support inaction and passivity.

It should be noted that Obadiah has absolutely no desire to go on a "damn kid's adventure." The fact that it is the only real choice he could make in order to be able to survive serves only to worsen his bitterness. Obadiah doesn't like or know that much about pokemon. Unlike many of the kids he grew up with, he never had a need or desire to learn. Of all the people Obadiah knew that went on a pokemon adventure, all but one of them returned to the very jobs and life they were heading towards before they took a 2-5 year vacation. In Obadiah's mind, why waste the time. He already knew what he wanted to do with his life and who he wanted to share it with. It should also be noted that Obadiah is consider a good man by many that know him. He had always been aggressive and somewhat quiet, but the bitterness over his lot has twisted what was good into anger and sarcasm

Appearance: The boy is a well built and well developed youth with dark skin and an overall demeanor of "leave me alone." Thick, well kempt dreadlocks fall in a graceful frame (except on the rare occasion a tie binds them helplessly behind the boy's head) around the dark skinned youth's facial feature, covering up his rather large ears in the process. Dark, and somewhat defeated, deep-set eyes stare uncomfortably at the world that passes them, moving reactionally rather than with desire or purpose. Thankfully, the outside world is not typically "blessed" with the opportunity to view what those dark eyes might hold due to a rather dark pair of cheap sunglasses propped upon a flat nose with a tendency to flare when angered. White teeth and a fantastic smile hide timidly behind unamused lips. A strong jaw and chin finish out an otherwise handsome face if not for the whole "Piss off" look thing.

The boy's body is that of one who has spent a good deal of time lifting and moving things. A thick neck attached to thick shoulders attached to thick arms attached to etc. He is a thick individual. Standing only 5'7", Obadiah's body is very compact and possesses a lot of strength. Rough hands in continuous motion can be seen moving in various places on the boy's body: running through his hair, entering and leaving the saw-dusty jean pockets, or fidgeting with the top button of his thick, red button up shirt whose sleeves are usually rolled up to the elbows. A simple brown belt holds up the jeans that cover the boy's short of strong legs. Worn brown work boots cover the callous feet and dirty brown socks of someone who would rather spend his time in a workshop than on the road. An old, dirty brown backpack is thrown over his right shoulder when traveling. A dark green raincoat makes an occasional appearance if heavier rain is present.

Biography: Obadiah lost both of his parents when he was only six years old. Seeing that statement, one would obviously assume that both of his parents had passed away in some way or another. While no life had left their bodies, they might as well been dead for all that their son saw of them. Both of his parents (Wolfgang Woodsworth and Alexis Freemont) were extremely talented pokemon trainers. They had met during their travels, continued traveling together, fell in love, married, settled down, and had a healthy boy. What else could you want? Apparently something that could not be found with your son. Obadiah was left in the care or his elderly grandmother as his lovely parents went off to enjoy more of their adventures without the burden of a child. So you might have to excuse Obadiah if he doesn't particularly enjoy the thought of going off on his own little adventure, abandoning his life and responsibilities….not to mention love. Oh sure, his parents wrote letter and kept in contact as often as possible. They would talk about all the amazing adventure they were having and all the wonderful sights they were seeing and how much they loved him. There was even a time that the boy lived for those calls and letters. That changed when they broke their promise to come back. Eventually the letters stopped coming. The phone no longer contained their voices. Obadiah was 9 at the time, almost ten. That was 7 years ago.

There is more you need to know to completely under why Obadiah hates the idea of having his own pokemon. Not long after his parents stopped contacting him, the boy's grandmother became sick. The doctor's did not think it was very serious. "She'll be better in no time," they said. Surprise, surprise….they were wrong. Not being old enough to take care of himself and with his parents nowhere to be found, the boy was to be sent to an orphanage in one of the larger cities nearby. (You might be wondering where Obadiah lives about now. Well, considering that the dark skinned man does not like to tell…anything to…anyone really, I struggle to see why you should know. But I guess some would consider it important, so I will tell you that it was a place called Technis Town. Anyways back to the history.) Thankfully, before that could happen, the local carpenter/contractor stepped up and offered to give the boy a place to live. The man's name was Barsidious Donaldson, and he had been a long time good friend of Obadiah's father. It would later be revealed that the man was actually his guardian, but that isn't important now. The man gave Obadiah a place to focus his anger. He gave him something to do. He tried multiple times to speak to the boy about why his parents left, but Obadiah would have nothing of it, though he would eventually learn that they had been killed on their way back home 7 years ago. The reason why is still a mystery to Obadiah. He hasn't decided if he really wants to find out why yet.

As time past, Obadiah became a part of the Donaldson family. Mary, the wife, was hesitant at first, but as time went by Obadiah proved to be the much needed help to Barsidious. The boy picked up Barsidious's craft rather quickly and was on the fast track to taking up the business himself one day. And it wasn't just the mother that was warming up to the boy. Meagan Donaldson, who was a year younger than the boy, and Obadiah had taken quite a liking to each other. Barsidious had even taken up the habit of asking when the wedding was going to be (joking of course, but he was quite aware that it was a possibility). Yes, everything was going well. Unfortunately, life doesn't tend to travel in a straight line for very long, and time never stands still. Breakthroughs in technology are made. Advances in science happen. Jobs are created. Jobs are erased. People are replaced by machines. Obadiah and Barsidious watched helplessly as the business they loved slowly started to go under. Neither had the technical experience (or could learn) to compete with new business that worked at a more efficient, but much less personal level. Obadiah was left with very few options. He had a ring in his pocket but no way of supporting a family. He knew Meagan deserved more than that. With nothing left to do, Obadiah did the only thing he could. With a promise to call every chance he could and write down everything that happen, the young man left to become a pokemon…something (it is plottastic!)

Pokemon: N/A

There you have it. The most unprepared and unenthusiastic trainer I can possible create with sliding into the real of silliness. I hope you choose to allow me to torture the poor guy even further.

Xlugon Pyro

Dragon Tamer
    Years
  • I'm no longer running this RP due to lack of interest. I may start it up again in the future but for now I'm closing it.

Back