ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Draconius GO
Closed Thread

Old February 27th, 2012 (10:09 AM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post

Were I you I'd put the desired sprite into another location in ROM and then repoint the Castform's sprite location.
    Well I've already done that--the problem is, I think I need to repoint the extra palettes for the alternate forms, and I'm not sure how to do that.

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 27th, 2012 (11:10 AM). Edited February 27th, 2012 by redriders180.
    Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Kamon137 View Post
      Well I've already done that--the problem is, I think I need to repoint the extra palettes for the alternate forms, and I'm not sure how to do that.
      Complete edit: I was wrong earlier, each forme does have a different pallate. I think the best way to locate them is to battle each different forme of Castform in VBA, and open up the Pallate window. Find the colors of Castform (they should be lined up in a row), and search for that string of colors in Advanced Pallate Editor. This should let you find what you need.

FINAL EDIT: The pallates for Castform's formes are like the ones for any shiny; the game just substitutes the pallate color for color. Make sure you take that into account when indexing the sprites.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old February 27th, 2012 (12:46 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
        Complete edit: I was wrong earlier, each forme does have a different pallate. I think the best way to locate them is to battle each different forme of Castform in VBA, and open up the Pallate window. Find the colors of Castform (they should be lined up in a row), and search for that string of colors in Advanced Pallate Editor. This should let you find what you need.

FINAL EDIT: The pallates for Castform's formes are like the ones for any shiny; the game just substitutes the pallate color for color. Make sure you take that into account when indexing the sprites.
        It's fine, my sprites use the original palette perfectly... when they work, at least.

So, I've found the 'address' of each color's value in the palette... but, how do I find the hex location for these exactly?

I've included a screenshot.
        Attached Images
        File Type: png help.png‎ (18.7 KB, 8 views) (Save to Dropbox)
        Old February 27th, 2012 (1:48 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Kamon137 View Post
          It's fine, my sprites use the original palette perfectly... when they work, at least.

So, I've found the 'address' of each color's value in the palette... but, how do I find the hex location for these exactly?

I've included a screenshot.
          The "address" isn't really all that helpful. When you click on each color, it will tell you the hex value of the color. in that picture, the one you have selected is 0x4B18. Take a note of all the colors after that (there's 16), and use the search feature on Advance Palate Editor to look for the colors by typing in each value. Hitting search should bring up the offset of the palate. I'm pretty sure the palate is compressed, however. If I've explained it wrong, there's a tutorial somewhere around here that describes how to find a pallate.

Old February 27th, 2012 (3:02 PM). Edited February 27th, 2012 by Kaikai.

is Yomama's Pokemon Gold and Crystal Gym Leader Editor the only gym leader editor for the II games? I can't seem to find anything else.

edit: ok, I found some others, but one is in german without any translation anywhere, and the other does not work for me. any other english Gym leader hackers?
            Old February 27th, 2012 (11:03 PM).
            Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Nature: Relaxed
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Kaikai View Post
              is Yomama's Pokemon Gold and Crystal Gym Leader Editor the only gym leader editor for the II games? I can't seem to find anything else.

edit: ok, I found some others, but one is in german without any translation anywhere, and the other does not work for me. any other english Gym leader hackers?
              With game-specific table file and a hex editor you can do much more than any normal trainer editor is capable of.
              There ought to be some trainer editing tutorials for GSC in Tutorials section here.

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
              CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
              -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
              Old February 28th, 2012 (4:16 AM).
              The Unknown

Nature: Jolly
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by ZangoMango View Post
                Hey, is there any simple way I can just change the overworld player sprite to say, Gary or Lance? I'm not trying to edit the sprites, just make the player some other character already in the game, so I don't want to go into Overworld Editor and change pixel by pixel. Thanks
                Well if you use NSE Classic you can export the pallet of Gary and a sprite library of him and import it back in over the hero. But there will still be things such as the fishing sprite that will be the normal hero unless you edit it.

.:Aegis:.
                ~coming soon~
                Old February 28th, 2012 (7:57 AM).

I have two questions...The first is, what's the problem with Pokemarts? Whenever I attempt to program a new Pokemart for my game, half the time it freezes up, and the other half it works perfectly. Is there some kind of secret to the order?

Also...
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
                  With game-specific table file and a hex editor you can do much more than any normal trainer editor is capable of.
                  There ought to be some trainer editing tutorials for GSC in Tutorials section here.
                  Just out of curiousity, what is a table file, do they exist for Gen III, and where/how do I get/use it?

Old February 28th, 2012 (8:34 AM).
                  No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
                    I looked at the end of the file to see if it had been expanded and this came up

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4875391/fdghd.png

Help? Why can't Amap "not read the bytes at the end of the file"?

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
                    Old February 28th, 2012 (9:28 AM).
                    Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Nature: Relaxed
                      Quote:
                      Just out of curiousity, what is a table file, do they exist for Gen III, and where/how do I get/use it?
                      Yes, you can write a table file for (almost) any existing game (and not going to mention which are the expectional cases but yeah).

Table file is just a normal txt-file (made with Notepad for instance) that contains letters and their hexadecimal numbers (which differ in almost every game - those depend on how the game is programmed to load the graphics of font).

Part of table file for GSC

Spoiler:

80=A
                      81=B
                      82=C
                      A0=a
                      A1=b
                      A2=c

So, ABC is written as 80 81 82 in the ROM and abc as A0 A1 A2.
                      And by loading the table file with a hex editor, you can easily search for text and edit it.

There is a table file for FireRed here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13825.0.html

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                      CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                      -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                      Old February 28th, 2012 (12:19 PM). Edited February 28th, 2012 by letica13s.

Nature: Calm
                        I've created my own map in FR/LG style. I have no idea how to make a tileset or a tilemap though. I want to use either WRAP or NTME, but I don't know how to turn the .png of my map into a tilemap and tileset. Please help!
                        Old February 28th, 2012 (9:01 PM).

I'm sorry, I've searched through this thread quite a bit (admittedly, I didn't go through all 826 pages, but I went through quite a few!) and I haven't found an answer to my particular question.

I want to replace Brock (and all of the gym leaders, really) with gym leaders I have made myself. Different pokemon, different types, different moves, all of that.

I have A-Trainer and Advance Map and XSE and all of that good stuff, but I haven't found a walk through on how exactly to do this. Could somebody help me out?
                          Old February 28th, 2012 (11:48 PM).
                          Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                          • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by letica13s View Post
                          I've created my own map in FR/LG style. I have no idea how to make a tileset or a tilemap though. I want to use either WRAP or NTME, but I don't know how to turn the .png of my map into a tilemap and tileset. Please help!
                          I'm not entirely sure of what you're trying to do. Are you asking how you can save your map as a file along with a picture of the tileset you're using? If that's the case then you shouldn't be trying to use NTME or other tilemap programs as they don't have access to the data that Advance Map has. To save a 'tilemap' of your map, goto 'File > Map > Save As' which will save it as a .map file which can only be read/ opened by Advance Map.

Saving the tileses used by the map can be done by clicking the large purple puzzle piece at the top of Advance Map and going to 'Picture > Save Tileset 1' to save a picture of the first tileset, and 'Save Tileset 2' for the second tileset. These will be a saved as .png files so they can be opened/ edited in Paint or a similar program (this is how you can insert new tiles in hacks). The tileset you see in the main Advance Map window will look nothing like the picture you have saved, this is because the tileset has its own 'tilemap' in the form of 'blocks' which are saved in a similar style to the tilesets - Click 'Blocks' rather than 'Picture'.

In short, maps are a made from three tile maps - The map itself and the block data from the two tilesets - along with the two tileset .png files. There is no universal 'save tilemap and tileset' option available so the best you can do is to save all of five of these files if you wish to recreate your map within another ROM.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by TEEJSTER77 View Post
                          I'm sorry, I've searched through this thread quite a bit (admittedly, I didn't go through all 826 pages, but I went through quite a few!) and I haven't found an answer to my particular question.

I want to replace Brock (and all of the gym leaders, really) with gym leaders I have made myself. Different pokemon, different types, different moves, all of that.

I have A-Trainer and Advance Map and XSE and all of that good stuff, but I haven't found a walk through on how exactly to do this. Could somebody help me out?
                          If you're just wanting to change the data for the Pokemon a trainer/ Gym Leader has, then all you will need is A-Trainer. You need to find the specific trainer in the program, but it should be fairly easy if you know who they are - Just input their name in the box that says 'Start Search' and you'll be taken straight to them. To change their team click on '>> Pokemon Data' and you'll go to a second screen where you can see a whole wealth of data relating to their Pokemon (species, level, moves, held item etc) and you can use the scroll bar in the top right to swap inbetween Pokemon. If you wish to expand the number of Pokemon on their team/ add an extra item/ give the Pokemon custom attcks or items then you're going to have to repoint the data, but A-Trainer will do this for you by providing a recommended offset which you just have to copy and paste into a box before confirming. Just mess around in A-Trainer for a while and you'll definitely become proficient with it :D
                          Old February 29th, 2012 (6:28 AM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
                            He isn't talking about that kind of maps, i think he's talking about the world map.

There is a video here that shows exactly what I explain in the spoiler below.
                            Spoiler:
                            Anyway, there is a program out there called Sphere that helps with tilemaps immensely. Once you download it, it also downloads a program called "Editor". Open it, and go File>Import>Image to Map. Select your map, the select a place to save the finished tilemap. Change the tile dimensions to 8 by 8, and select yes when the pop up appears. It will say the conversion is successful. Now, navigate to where the tilemap was saved, and open it in editor. A picture of the tiles you need will appear (it's in a seperate window that's just labeled "tiles"). use Print Screen to take a picture of the tiles, and remove the purple rectangle by filling it with the color it should be for the tile its on. Save that image, and now you have your map tiles and a tilemap. NTME accepts sphere files, so you just have to open up Sphere, open up your tileset, and when you import the tilemap, select the sphere file. Adjust it a little till it looks right, then save the tilemap as a .raw, which is what unlz.gba can use. And now, other tutorials can help you with the actual inserting.

Old February 29th, 2012 (8:45 AM).

Thanks, redriders180! This helped a lot. Now I need to know how to inject it into the ROM. I have tried following a couple of tutorials, but I ended up with some crazy garbled crap. I know I need unLZ-GBA, FSF, NTME, and a hex editor, all of which I have, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them.
                              Old February 29th, 2012 (10:48 AM).

Quote:
                                Thanks, redriders180! This helped a lot. Now I need to know how to inject it into the ROM. I have tried following a couple of tutorials, but I ended up with some crazy garbled crap. I know I need unLZ-GBA, FSF, NTME, and a hex editor, all of which I have, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them.
                                The tutorial that worked best for me was this one...However, i took the easy route and used only the tiles from the original map, which meant all I really had to do was repoint the .raw. If that's one you tried but couldn't get to work, then maybe someone else here might be able to help better.

Old February 29th, 2012 (10:52 AM).

That's the tutorial that I tried to follow. This is the one that gave me the jumbled garbage. Thanks anyway!
                                  Old February 29th, 2012 (1:43 PM).

Quote:
                                    That's the tutorial that I tried to follow. This is the one that gave me the jumbled garbage. Thanks anyway!
                                    When you say jumbled garbage, do you mean that the tiles are there, just in the wrong order, or its just complete and utter random lines and stuff, with no discernible tiles?

Old February 29th, 2012 (4:39 PM). Edited February 29th, 2012 by letica13s.

Quote:
                                      complete and utter random lines and stuff, with no discernible tiles?
                                      ^This. Some of the random purple lines could be discerned as tiles, though not ones that I recognized from my original tileset. I'm not sure I indexed the image's colors correctly either. Would it help if I posted the map here?
                                      Old February 29th, 2012 (5:27 PM).

is there any program that edits pokemon movesets in Pokemon Crystal?
                                        Old March 1st, 2012 (10:45 AM).
                                        No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
                                          I hate sounding like a newb, but is there ANY way of using pokemon battle sprites that are larger than 64x64, as resizing is annoying. Please don't answer if your really not sure.

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
                                          Old March 1st, 2012 (2:50 PM).

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
                                            I hate sounding like a newb, but is there ANY way of using pokemon battle sprites that are larger than 64x64, as resizing is annoying. Please don't answer if your really not sure.
                                            I've heard many times that the 64x64 sprites are a limitation of the GBA itself. There isn't a way to easily just make the sprites larger, without possibly overhauling a whole bunch of code to make it, for example, display four 40x40 sprites for each pokemon (which would be an 80x80 sprite), but it's fairly impractical, and as far as i know, unprecedented. Better to just deal with them, in my opinion

Old March 1st, 2012 (3:31 PM).

Nature: Timid
                                              I need help with a problem that always happens while i try to import sprites into my rom... whenever i try to, even when my sprite meets all of the sprite "standards", It ends up giving me a message like: "Sprite is not indexed", and the sprite is 64x64, the background colour is not similar at all to the sprite itself. I think it might have something to do with the paint program i have, and plus, i got a new laptop recently (that's the one I'm using) and i can't import sprites!
                                              Old March 1st, 2012 (5:01 PM).

uhhh... will anyone answer my question...?
                                                Old March 1st, 2012 (6:07 PM).
                                                redriders180 redriders180 is offline

Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                                  Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by KoKoros View Post
                                                  I need help with a problem that always happens while i try to import sprites into my rom... whenever i try to, even when my sprite meets all of the sprite "standards", It ends up giving me a message like: "Sprite is not indexed", and the sprite is 64x64, the background colour is not similar at all to the sprite itself. I think it might have something to do with the paint program i have, and plus, i got a new laptop recently (that's the one I'm using) and i can't import sprites!
                                                  The newest version of Paint doesn't support indexed files, which means if you open an indexed file in paint, it loses its index. To remedy this, I use Gimp, or Photoshop, which support indexed files

Closed Thread

Quick Reply