• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US President Obama says same-sex couples should be able to marry

Years
US President Obama says same-sex couples should be able to marry

_60132614_60132607.jpg

President Obama said in 2010 that his views on gay marriage were "evolving"​

US President Barack Obama has ended months of equivocation on the issue of gay marriage by saying he thinks same-sex couples should be able to wed.

He told ABC News: "It is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."
Mr Obama has become the first US president to back gay marriage.
In recent days, Vice-President Joe Biden and cabinet member Arne Duncan had expressed support for gay unions.
The interview with ABC News' Robin Roberts was apparently hastily arranged as Mr Obama came under mounting pressure to clarify his position on the issue.
During the ABC interview, which airs later on Wednesday, Mr Obama pointed to his administration's commitment to increasing rights for gay citizens.
He also cited the repeal of the military's 'don't ask, don't tell' policy and said his administration had dropped support for the Defense of Marriage Act.
"I've stood on the side of broader equality for the LGBT community. I hesitated on gay marriage in part because I thought civil unions would be sufficient," Mr Obama said.
"I was sensitive to the fact that for a lot of people, the word 'marriage' evokes very powerful traditions, religious beliefs.
"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbours, when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage," Obama said.
"I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."
In 2010, Mr Obama said his views on the issue were "evolving", a stance that had frustrated gay rights supporters and donors.
His comments came a day after North Carolina approved a constitutional amendment effectively banning same-sex marriage or civil unions.
Before that vote, the Obama campaign had opposed the measure, which was passed with 61% in favour and 39% against.
While Mr Obama is the first US president to support gay marriage, correspondents said the president's views on gay marriage were likely to upset some voters.
Some African-American voters oppose same-sex marriage on religious grounds.
Took him long enough. And Joe Biden committed a gaffe my ass. PLUS...This is going to mobilize everyone...EVERYONE.

tumblr_m1930ks6Go1qbpn3g.gif

Also Surprise!

tumblr_m3rszsvgCY1qzs5cqo1_r1_500.png

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Some African-American voters oppose same-sex marriage on religious grounds.

That being one of the most ironic things about it~

So, errr, why can't a president/his government overturn amendments that he obviously disagrees with and/or make national amendments rather than every state doing it themselves... :S Silly America :P.

Years
^^ As an Amurrican, I shall answer this. The state's have their own rights to create state-specific laws and are protected against the national government swooping in and telling them what's what, to keep balance and not have a dictatorship...I think.

As for this news, yay! It's about time something was set in motion for same-sex marriage. As for Fox news... *facepalm*

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I heard this an hour ago! I was so happy! I really hope this doesn't affect his ability to be re-elected later this year, though, because I will be so sad if any of the Republican candidates become president. :/

Is... is that screenshot of FOX News for real? :( That makes me want to cry and laugh all at the same time.

The last line of the article is just so out of place. XD

Years
Yeah, that last line is out of place, but that's how journalism works. You write a piece and the editors decide how much space you get to have so you're supposed to write it so that it can be cut off at any point.

It's clearly a political move ahead of the elections, but I don't care. He can't back down from this now and I expect to see something more tangible from him in the coming days/weeks/months about how he expects to see same-sex marriage become a reality in the US.

Cherrim

Years
Yeah, that last line is out of place, but that's how journalism works. You write a piece and the editors decide how much space you get to have so you're supposed to write it so that it can be cut off at any point.
It was more that it seemed absolutely irrelevant than dangling. Maybe the rest of the article explained the line very well, but otherwise it just looks like the author went "black people voted for Obama once, I should mention them" when race wasn't mentioned at all prior to that last line. :P

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Is anyone else kind of annoyed that he didn't do this a few days ago when it might have made a difference in the NC vote?

Cherrim

Years
Is anyone else kind of annoyed that he didn't do this a few days ago when it might have made a difference in the NC vote?
I kind of see this as in response to the NC vote--maybe that's what finally made him change his mind/make his decision. Honestly, I'm more surprised that he's declaring his support for it so openly at this point before the election instead of saving it for after he's re-secured his spot.

Years
The cynical side of me thinks he might have been saving it until something happened in NC so that it would energize voters there to vote for him while all the conservatives are placidly sitting home feeling like they accomplished what they needed to.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I feel that this is a move of political opportunism on his behalf.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Bout time. Let's get this nation moving forward like it should be.

I kind of see this as in response to the NC vote--maybe that's what finally made him change his mind/make his decision. Honestly, I'm more surprised that he's declaring his support for it so openly at this point before the election instead of saving it for after he's re-secured his spot.

I agree with this.

Whatever. I feel that same-sex marraige should be banned from the USA.

Why?

Years
This is just a political move due to Joe Biden saying he supports Gay Marriage and the NC vote yesterday. The snowball got rolling and it just became too big to Obama to keep away. So he had to do it, making just about every news channel go to "Breaking News".

We got important things to worry about this election year. Gay Marriage will not be a factor. Sure, Obama might get a bunch of the youth vote, but he just lost the African American and Latino vote, who most likely are religious and their pastors keep saying that homosexuality is the work of the devil and is evil.

droomph

weeb
Years
This is just a political move due to Joe Biden saying he supports Gay Marriage and the NC vote yesterday. The snowball got rolling and it just became too big to Obama to keep away. So he had to do it, making just about every news channel go to "Breaking News".

We got important things to worry about this election year. Gay Marriage will not be a factor. Sure, Obama might get a bunch of the youth vote, but he just lost the African American and Latino vote, who most likely are religious and their pastors keep saying that homosexuality is the work of the devil and is evil.
You forgot those other people. Oh well.

Anyways, if it results in something good, I don't care if anyone was pressured into making that decision although I do wish they actually sincerely meant it.

Awwww come on mannnnnnn so close...

Last edited:

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I feel that this is a move of political opportunism on his behalf.

Unfortunately, I think this will actually hinder him in the 2012 Presidential Election. I think it was political opportunism for him to remain ambiguous on this issue to help him grab more moderate votes. If this was a Democratic primary, then I would say it was political opportunism; mostly in the general election, candidates already have the support from their base, and then move forward by garnering the middle vote.

With that being said, I wish he had done this earlier, but he is the only president to support same-sex marriage, so I commend him for his "opportunism" to help the gay community. It's like condemning Abraham Lincoln for condemning slavery as an unconstitutional institution since it may have helped him win an election.

I WAS JUST GOING TO POST THIS KIND OF THREAD!

Why do you care so much if two guys or two women get married?

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Good on him.

But at the same time, in America it is a State-level issue. I don't think he has any real pull here. I wouldn't think this got him any extra votes he wouldn't have already had. It's not like he didn't have already had that demographic in the bag. But he probably lost a bunch of votes in the process from some independents, right-leaning Democrats, and left-leaning Republicans.

So... good and bad at the same time :x

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Unfortunately, I think this will actually hinder him in the 2012 Presidential Election. I think it was political opportunism for him to remain ambiguous on this issue to help him grab more moderate votes. If this was a Democratic primary, then I would say it was political opportunism; mostly in the general election, candidates already have the support from their base, and then move forward by garnering the middle vote.

With that being said, I wish he had done this earlier, but he is the only president to support same-sex marriage, so I commend him for his "opportunism" to help the gay community. It's like condemning Abraham Lincoln for condemning slavery as an unconstitutional institution since it may have helped him win an election.

Obama has actually taken a lot of heat from the progressive community. He's disappointed them for continuing many Bush era policies, such as the Bush tax cuts, the wars, the PATRIOT Act, the War on Drugs, and now the indefinite detention of American citizens and ACTA. While they will probably still vote for him over any possible Republican nominee (except maybe Paul), the lack of enthusiasm can mean less turnout from his base. Since most pundits think that, even if he wins, it will by a much narrower margin than in 2008, he can't afford to lose any turnout. Coming out in favor of same-sex marriage boosts his progressive cred.

Good on him.

But at the same time, in America it is a State-level issue. I don't think he has any real pull here. I wouldn't think this got him any extra votes he wouldn't have already had. It's not like he didn't have already had that demographic in the bag. But he probably lost a bunch of votes in the process from some independents, right-leaning Democrats, and left-leaning Republicans.

So... good and bad at the same time :x

His position is pretty much the same as Ron Paul's position. Obama said that, while he personally supports same-sex marriage, he thinks that the states should decided the issue.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
His position is pretty much the same as Ron Paul's position. Obama said that, while he personally supports same-sex marriage, he thinks that the states should decided the issue.
I know, but that's the thing. If it isn't something you have the authority to change, why put your two cents in? I think it'll hurt him, unfortunately.

Back