• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What would be the Game Freak-version of Gold(Ethan)'s party?

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2016
    So traight to the point, what I mean by "Game Freak-version" is like Red's party in Mt. Silver and the PWT(I haven't played XY yet, so I dunno if there's another one there).

A lot of people already know this, I'll restate the plausible "rules" that were suggested by many(some are just my dumb opinions)

Gen. 2 Red in Mt. Silver-Pikachu Espeon Snorlax Venasaur Charizard Blastoise
    Gen. 4 Red in Mt. Silver-Pikachu Lapras Snorlax Venasaur Charizard Blastoise
    Gen. 5 Red in Mt. Silver-Same as gen 5, just different movesets and weather condition.
    -Total of 7 different Pokemon

1. All 7(including Espeon) are given to or are interactable in the overworld in gen. 1(or 3, whatever). This is probably a major rule.
    1.1 It has been suggested that since without trading, the only version in which Red can obtain all 3 gen. 1 starters is Pokemon Yellow, Red's party was solely based on Pokemon Yellow. This is unlikely due to the fact that Pokemon Yellow was more of an "event" version based on the anime, and that Pikachu is not seen outside its Poke Ball in gen. 2 and 4.
    1.2 All gen. 1 starters are included(Let's exclude Blue's Eevee).
    2. Espeon was changed to Lapras in later versions.
    2.1 This might be a sign that Red is connected to the anime Ash, along with the fact that gen. 4 Pikachu's movesets are the key moves of anime Pikachu. Then again, Ash says farewell to Lapras in the anime, and gen. 5 Red's Pikachu doesn't show much relation to anime Pikachu, having Brick Break instead of Electro Ball.
    2.2 Espeon was Red's important pokemon in the manga, but there is little connection with the game there because the manga Red does not own all 3 starters, and moreso now since he has been replaced with Lapras.

The most likely assumptions
    2.3 Lapras was a better choice to match Mt. Silver's hail condition in gen. 4(Lapras, Snorlax, Blastoise all have Blizzard), and Game Freak just left it as it is in gen. 5.
    2.4 Espeon is a gen. 2 Pokemon. Game Freak wanted to keep Red's Party in gen. 1.
    2.5 Eevee evolves into a darn 7(excluding the Fairty type) different Pokemon in gen. 4 and 5. Who knows what Eevee would have evolved to? Game Freak just put the Eeveelution, whatever it is, in the Pokemon Box, and used the sure Lapras.
    2.6 Game Freak doesn't care about 2 pokemon sharing types(nor do we).

This is it, I'll add more if I missed sth.

Now, Gold(or Ethan) is gifted or interacts with the following Pokemon in gen. 4(excluding legendaries and other gen. starters) (Did I miss anything?)
    Chikorita Cyndaquil Totodile Togepi Sudowoodo Eevee Lapras RedGyarados Electrode Dratini Tyrouge Snorlax+the egg given in Violet City contaning Mareep, Wooper, and Aipom(I'm not confusing it with the Togepi Egg).

Using rule 1.2 and 2.5, I'd say Gold's Party would be
    Meganium Typhlosion Feraligatr Sudowoodo Togekiss RedGyarados

Just my opinion. What do you suggest?

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2014
    I'd say Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Sudowoodo, Hitmontop and Ampharos.
    If fits the pattern of all 3 starters + 1 early electric type, the overworld Pokemon thingy and keeps his entire party in Gen II.

Not to mention that game-wise it can't be completely sweeped by one specific type, so if the AI is worth something it should be relatively tough? The only type that's strong against something in that team and is not resisted is Psychic; but some choice Dark/Ghost moves can take care of that; perhaps Feraligatr!Bite?

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • I doubt theyll let gold have a shiny so no red gyarados .

so ill say all three starters
    TOgetic/Togekiss
    Hitmontop
    Sudowoodo

Maybe a tyranitar just to give him a beast

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
    Years
  • Gen. II - Meganium, Feraligatr, Typhlosion (starters)...

Umbreon: Besides countering Espeon (via in-game logic, not by competitive standards), it serves as a pokemon that evolves by friendship (introduced method of evolution in Gen. II) and is a Dark-type (Introduced type in Gen. II)...

Scizor/Steelix - Steel-Type (introduced in Gen. II), with a pseudo-new method of evolution introduced in Gen. II...

Sixth slot could be:
    Misdreavus/Ampharos/Gligar/Ursaring: Misdreavus is the only Ghost type introduced in Gen. II, however, if I remember correctly, Misdreavus wasn't available until Mt. Silver, so that alone may rule out Misdreavus...

Ampharos would add an Electric type that is easily findable and very recognizable...

Gligar just because Ground/Flying was an interesting typing and would scare Red's Pikachu...He's also Gold-exclusive, this should count for something...

Ursaring is a Normal Type that (in lore), would take a high level of skill to train...The downside to this one is that it is Silver-exclusive in Japan...I can see why they'd allow them to have all starters...Not so much the exclusives to other games...

Back