• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if....they stopped?

So,as we all know,its been a lot of time since the Pokemon anime started.Around 18 years or something. We seen 18 seasons till now,and like more than 850 episodes. We know that the anime started to lose popularity loads of time ago,and still isn't going that well. Ratings are getting awful,fans are leaving and the fun is decreasing. The popularity was pretty high during the first season,not bad in the 2nd season. OS had its popularity because....people still wanted to watch.I won't say Johto saga was rather good,but people still watched. AG was pretty much lae like all the other seasons. DP was kinda good compared to AG,but lets leave that topic for now.

Well recently I saw Dragon Ball is getting a new season(Super) after like 18 years. And the hype is totally crazy.By crazy I mean totally crazy.Its all over the internet. I think Dragon Ball did the right move stopping the anime while it was popular and releasing it a eternity later.People will watc,the whole season even if its not that great.

I mean c'mon,if the anime stopped and then showed Ash a little older,with more powerful Pokes and a stable team,it would've been great.

This topic is about,if Pokemon did the same,if they stopped after Season 1/2 and then resumed the show after lots of time,what would've happened?Would it be still popular? Will people see it? Will YOU watch it? Would the anime be in a better position than now? Would the hype be crazy?

I know thats a hell lot of questions,but I hope its worth discussing.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    If pokemon had stopped at any point it'd die.
    The franchise is kept alive by the constant merchandising, and not by the clever story and catchphrases (kame-hame-ha!!!!).

Its story is weak, it has too much repetition, inconsistencies, stolen things, recycle etc., so if every saga you don't get another motherload of collectables (new pokemon figurines, games, pokech, blayblades, soundtrack, movie of the season, stickers, pokeball whatnot) people will immediately burry it, and will never wish it back.

Also, what'd Ash do being older, and a stable team? Really, what? The "story" is about one thing, and one thing only: get the badges as soon as possible, enter the tournament, and try to win it.
    There is no sidetracking, exploring, conscious planning, doing anything but solving only those sidequests which don't require going at new places. Pokemon is not Dragonball where you went training, questing and battling, dating and working, solving puzzles. Pokemon is a straightforward journey on the neversplitting road of Dora the Explorer.

PS: DS is abysmal compared to AG, but leave that topic for now.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    Here, fixed that for you.
    Oh, I honestly think Ash does try.

But my theory is,Ash has to loose only to let the real protagonists advance, and those are Jessie, James and Meowth.
    Ash(&Co) might be the title-character(s), but they are not the protagonists!

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I think that it was nice having Ash sets his journeys in different regions with new friends. As for now, I feel that the writers should direct the anime to a different way, which won't be that predictable and obvious.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Im gonna be happy if they stopped it... And made a better anime for pokemon.. Seriously It's better to have something like Pokemon Origins around.. I liked how the 1st season did it but now it's just repetitive..

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It would be nice if they made a pokemon series based off the mangas.

However, pokemon is doing better than Naruto in ratings, and yet Naruto is still going and in fact is getting another manga and anime series. Same with DBZ. GT was terrible for most people, they stopped for a while, but they started it back up with 2 movies and another anime series that is coming out.

A lot of American kid shows, only usually get 1.2mil view, rarely goes over 5mil. And pokemon is staying constant at and around 4mil views.

SiriusAlpha

One and only
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    They have seriously got to make one off of the mangas or the actual video games because people saying Pokemon sucks, it's because they have never played it or especially because they have never played it or read the mangas but have watched the anime. The Kalos one is awful, it's the same pattern over and over again. Why don't they put as much time and effort into it as they did in Pokemon origins or the Mega Evolution specials. The manga has awesome plots that the anime needs, I mean I could write a better Pokemon series than the current one.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    Personally i dont think stopping pokemon show and doing complete reboot. By replacing Ash and everyone else cutting ties with current universe, characters and continuity would be of much benefit for this franchise.

If anything judging by so many people to this day clamouring for return of older main protagonists(especially wanting reunion of original Ash, Misty, Brock trio), return of iconic older pokemon like original Mewtwo etc. Completely new show with different main star and different timeline would just alienate people away not being key to attract more of fans back toward show. Increasing ratings and its reputation.

Thats complete miss in business strategy if we go by fact how other franchise are doing exact opposite going back to their roots.

Such as Digimon making new series focused on first generation of characters(Digi Destined kids)called Digimon Tri Adventure.

Dragon Ball planning to release new show acting as sequel to DBZ , Goku and other well established older chracters which defined childhood for many people making them grow to like them.

Yugioh planning to make big movie special focused on heroes from original DM series (Yugi, Kaiba etc).

Knowing how to attract older viewers back into those franchise , while maintaining interest among younger kids. Giving them look in those shows history and get to know this characters they know nothing about sparking interest.

What pokemon needs isnt reboot making alternate series. NO; what pokemon anime needs is change of direction in which character development, story and journey is told.

I mean i get people like Ash encountering new people, making friendships and forming new main groups which together explore new worlds. But its always exact same scenario and its not good strategy in longer run if you want to fight for people attention on today market..

Ash says goodbye to his friends who outside of one cameo in new region disappear from anime. Leave his pokemon behind, enter new badge quest, gets stopped at league. And rinse and repeat rotating wheel of enchanted cycle of repetitivity, predictability and rehashed plots over and over again.

For change:
    Why not implement concept of cast rotation bringing replaced main characters in new generations to advance their dreams, explore more on past and promote new games when they appear through older games remakes or in new ones like BW2 games with world tournament were?
    Or be bold and bring them regardless of who is and isn't in games if they could help push journey forward and gain themselves alot from it.

Having for main region Ash,. one new character and one older character taking advantage of history and friendship which there exists between Ash and older companion bringing more stable continuity based stoiry. Following tougher, experienced and with basics covered traveling companion who is ready to step up and go on bigger, more challenging growth, introspection of his own feelings and emotions, more engaging battles and more complex storyline.

With older companions like Misty, May, Brock, Dawn etc we wouldn't be seeing them learning how to battle, just getting their first pokemon etc. No we could actually see sequels in using previously acquired knowledge in new situations, add more depth to already developed friendship with Ash.

Such as being put on test to see if they can overcome their differences, learn new things about themselves with bond becoming stronger?
    Introduce new exciting tasks for them to accomplish developing unique story through which we could see them step up as person and trainers coming closer toward their dreams etc.

Expand on their personalities, enjoy again in their emotions, crazy spats and divergent dynamic revealing to us how much separation from Ash affected their rekationship and wehat has changed with them in meantime. Strong friendship bonds which existed between them and Ash showing not to be lost. Bring more variety and unexpected twists to storyline with their unexpected returns making continuity of pokemon anime stronger, more plot driven and make Ash joiurney believable.

Feeling like adventure is still placed in same universe, do insight in his previous growth and knowledge he built and all those people, obstacles and challenges he was faced with in becoming as mature and competent as ts case nowadays.

And prompting writers to take Ash on more profound character progression, learn more about his past introducing long lost father possibly. Have him win league dealing with pressure of being famous and high expectations from others. Struggling to defend his title and have writers raise up bar. By revealing what other steps he needs to fulfill to become pokemon master.

Because according to canon and what E4 Lucian in episode "Elite Meet and Greet!" from Sinnoh said. Champion league is just ONE step required to overcome in becoming pkoemon master.

Most of all having writers deliver more creative directions and innovative approach to push Ash and other main characters forward.

Why i say that?

Because by bringing back older main characters under spotlight again as wiser, more experienced, mature, stronger and with more diversified and fleshed out characterization.

Maing them go on next higher steps in their careers of becoming top coordinators; type masters(like water master in Misty case); famous doctors etc. Woud leave writers with no choice but to do the same with main star Ash as well.

In order to not be left out of loop, keep up with others who play imprtance in pokemon story again and support his credibility as trainer.

Resulting in more compact, unique and plot driven story.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    What pokemon needs isnt reboot making alternate series. NO; what pokemon anime needs is change of direction in which character development, story and journey is told.

I mean i get people like Ash encountering new people, making friendships and forming new main groups which together explore new worlds. But its always exact same scenario and its not good strategy in longer run if you want to fight for people attention on today market..

Ash says goodbye to his friends who outside of one cameo in new region disappear from anime. Leave his pokemon behind, enter new badge quest, gets stopped at league. And rinse and repeat rotating wheel of enchanted cycle of repetitivity, predictability and rehashed plots over and over again.

For change:
    Why not implement concept of cast rotation bringing replaced main characters in new generations to advance their dreams, explore more on past and promote new games when they appear through older games remakes or in new ones like BW2 games with world tournament were?
    Or be bold and bring them regardless of who is and isn't in games if they could help push journey forward and gain themselves alot from it.

Having for main region Ash, one new character and one older character taking advantage of history and friendship which there exists between Ash and older companion bringing more stable continuity based story. Following tougher, experienced and with basics covered traveling companion who is ready to step up and go on bigger, more challenging growth, introspection of his own feelings and emotions, more engaging battles and more complex storyline.

With older companions like Misty, May, Brock, Dawn etc we wouldn't be seeing them learning how to battle, just getting their first pokemon etc. No we could actually see sequels in using previously acquired knowledge in new situations, add more depth to already developed friendship with Ash.

Expand on their personalities, enjoy again in their emotions, crazy spats and divergent dynamic revealing to us how much separation from Ash affected their rekationship and what has changed with them in meantime. Strong friendship bonds which existed between them and Ash showing not to be lost. Bring more variety and unexpected twists to storyline with their unexpected returns making continuity of pokemon anime stronger, more plot driven and make Ash journey believable.

Feeling like adventure is still placed in same universe, do insight in his previous growth and knowledge he built and all those people, obstacles and challenges he was faced with in becoming as mature and competent as ts case nowadays.

And prompting writers to take Ash on more profound character progression, learn more about his past introducing long lost father possibly. Have him win league dealing with pressure of being famous and high expectations from others. Struggling to defend his title and have writers raise up bar. By revealing what other steps he needs to fulfill to become pokemon master.

Because according to canon and what E4 Lucian in episode "Elite Meet and Greet!" from Sinnoh said. Champion league is just ONE step required to overcome in becoming pkoemon master.

Most of all having writers deliver more creative directions and innovative approach to push Ash and other main characters forward.

Why i say that?

Very much agreed that throwing away Ash would be fatal, and unlikely anyway, as the show flirted with the idea both at the beginning and end of Diamond&Pearl, and it didn't happen. After 18 years building things around one character you don't just dump it.

But I think you forget about the show's development in the greater picture.
    Yes, from the perspective of Ash it is very repetitive and predictable. BUT look at Team Rocket. Jessie and James came as fresh recruits, and even though they "always loose", they actually conquered a lot of regions by disbanding the local criminal organisations. THEY do have an ongoing story.
    The creatures and the overal background also grows. Each and every season rised the stakes. The new pokemons became ever stronger, the legends became more grandeaur. They invented The Creator. They introduced Mega Evolution what is practically making said god from any of the mons. And this is problem for the series for sake of continuity: there is nowhere to go further. You can't get higher than god.
    This was why DBGT ended the series: GoKu literally became a godly power. There was nowhere to go, nothing to see. The characters threw bloody planets at each other. Heck, even galaxies.

"Character rotation" is already present by the specials, thank you.
    Otherwise problem with old companions (who are expired anyway if you ask me) is, what connection remained to them with Ash? Ok, I give you they "remained friends". So what? They don't have a shared goal anymore for longterm use. They suffice for episodic cameos, but that's it.

Because according to canon and what E4 Lucian in episode "Elite Meet and Greet!" from Sinnoh said. Champion league is just ONE step required to overcome in becoming pokemon master.
    Where does it says that? What he actually says "she is the master of the champion league", what simply means Cynthia is the regional Champion. In "A Trainer and Child Reunion" Ash states he'll become a master by winning a league, and becoming an Elite Four would only top his dream.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Personally i dont think stopping pokemon show and doing complete reboot. By replacing Ash and everyone else cutting ties with current universe, characters and continuity would be of much benefit for this franchise.

If anything judging by so many people to this day clamouring for return of older main protagonists(especially wanting reunion of original Ash, Misty, Brock trio), return of iconic older pokemon like original Mewtwo etc. Completely new show with different main star and different timeline would just alienate people away not being key to attract more of fans back toward show. Increasing ratings and its reputation.

Thats complete miss in business strategy if we go by fact how other franchise are doing exact opposite going back to their roots.

Such as Digimon making new series focused on first generation of characters(Digi Destined kids)called Digimon Tri Adventure.

Dragon Ball planning to release new show acting as sequel to DBZ , Goku and other well established older chracters which defined childhood for many people making them grow to like them.

Yugioh planning to make big movie special focused on heroes from original DM series (Yugi, Kaiba etc).

Knowing how to attract older viewers back into those franchise , while maintaining interest among younger kids. Giving them look in those shows history and get to know this characters they know nothing about sparking interest.

For change:

Having for main region Ash,. one new character and one older character taking advantage of history and friendship which there exists between Ash and older companion bringing more stable continuity based stoiry. Following tougher, experienced and with basics covered traveling companion who is ready to step up and go on bigger, more challenging growth, introspection of his own feelings and emotions, more engaging battles and more complex storyline.

Such as being put on test to see if they can overcome their differences, learn new things about themselves with bond becoming stronger?
    Introduce new exciting tasks for them to accomplish developing unique story through which we could see them step up as person and trainers coming closer toward their dreams etc.

Expand on their personalities, enjoy again in their emotions, crazy spats and divergent dynamic revealing to us how much separation from Ash affected their rekationship and wehat has changed with them in meantime. Strong friendship bonds which existed between them and Ash showing not to be lost. Bring more variety and unexpected twists to storyline with their unexpected returns making continuity of pokemon anime stronger, more plot driven and make Ash joiurney believable.

Why i say that?

Because by bringing back older main characters under spotlight again as wiser, more experienced, mature, stronger and with more diversified and fleshed out characterization.

Maing them go on next higher steps in their careers of becoming top coordinators; type masters(like water master in Misty case); famous doctors etc. Woud leave writers with no choice but to do the same with main star Ash as well.

In order to not be left out of loop, keep up with others who play imprtance in pokemon story again and support his credibility as trainer.

I agree with every word :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    But I think you forget about the show's development in the greater picture.
    Yes, from the perspective of Ash it is very repetitive and predictable. BUT look at Team Rocket. Jessie and James came as fresh recruits, and even though they "always loose", they actually conquered a lot of regions by disbanding the local criminal organisations. THEY do have an ongoing story.
    The creatures and the overal background also grows. Each and every season rised the stakes. The new pokemons became ever stronger, the legends became more grandeaur. They invented The Creator. They introduced Mega Evolution what is practically making said god from any of the mons. And this is problem for the series for sake of continuity: there is nowhere to go further. You can't get higher than god.

No, i think when looking at bigger picture pokemon anime lost its identity and destination it wanted to reach.
    Sure when evaluating each region individually there were made improvements in some things or new series did worse job than its predecessor.

But what good does that serve when for every step forward, story and character development goes 2 steps back.

-Such as Ash being ready to win league in Sinnoh and than undergo reset becoming less mature and experienced in next region doing worse.
    -Team Rocket becoming competent villains in BW, returning back to comic relief role in next series.
    -Started friendships, relationships, backgrounds and dreams about Ash friends being explored halfway through just to end up dumped and replaced with their stories never reaching culmination and resolution.
    -Previously founded rules in past like only one Mewtwo existing in world being experiment of Rocket organization manipulating with pokemon genes, being rewriten messing up canon and whole history by pretending like that Mewtwo didnt existed with new one taking its place in 16th movie.
    Etc.

Because in longer run what pokemon anime has accomplished really?

Spoiler:

Thats not a good way to write for some anime.

This was why DBGT ended the series: GoKu literally became a godly power. There was nowhere to go, nothing to see. The characters threw bloody planets at each other. Heck, even galaxies.

I wander if you read my post fully than, because i addressed how in summer of this year brand new Dragon ball series focusing on Goku, Vegeta and other original characters will be made. Receiving sequel to their stories, facing never sen before enemies and unique adventure not experienced before.

There is no limit in narrative and literature in how far and how much you can do with character.
    Its up to writer if he/she is skilled enough to justify further exposition of characters, story and surrounding theyre set in.

With build up acting like natural unforced follow up of what they established about someone goals, aspirations and achievements left behind before and introduce point they would try to reach with everything accumulated in past serving as springboard to reach ultimate destination.

Or not.
    But in theory you can always do more with story and characters depending on someone imagination and creativity.

"Character rotation" is already present by the specials, thank you.
    Otherwise problem with old companions (who are expired anyway if you ask me) is, what connection remained to them with Ash? Ok, I give you they "remained friends". So what? They don't have a shared goal anymore for longterm use. They suffice for episodic cameos, but that's it.

Like i said before as examples of Digimon Tri Adventire, new Dragon ball series, Sailor Moon remake called Crystal, Yugioh deciding to focus just on first main protagonists in next movie special shows.

Going back to franchise roots and focusing again on older characters taking them in groundbreaking new adentures is lucrative and successful strategy in increasing hype, suspense builder and popularity of long running shows like pokemon is.

Sparking interest among not only small kids, but older fans which would like to revisit their memories of childhood and follow companions they grew to like enjoying in them again or among remaining older audience keep them interested and excited to see in what way return of popular familiar faces would impact new series and nature of pokemon anime attacting older fans of some franchises in going back into them.

You ask what connects older characters with Ash aside from friendship?

In big and diverse world like Pokemon established itself to be its entirely possible for Ash and his friends life paths to collide again and experience new journey, challenges and dangers together. Since way their goals are structured allows to be inserted within current protagonist story fulfilling each other.

Whether its May and Dawn contest carer which can be advanced in parallel with Ash quest in case new region he travels through contains retired top coordinators , peculiar pokemon and contest related events which would allow them to improve their techniques, learn about more elegant and graceful ways to utlize pokemon in enchanting ways and become more successful in future contests.

Misty water master career which envelops entering water themed events like Whirl Cup, traveling and battling water experts, drawing links to E4 position and her idol Lorelei as way to rank up further . Since any tournament , powerful pokemon expert and plot which has connections to becoming better trainer or are related to water pokemon could be used as valid justification to bring her back and travel through new region if it has enough water related themes through which her dream of becoming type master could be pushed to higher level.
    etc.

There could be made storyline of villain organization or alien pokemon from space coming to earth threatening to destroy whole pokemon world, towns, villages and everyone Ash and his friends care about joining him on quest to fight and stop danger which loomed itself on woirld.

Story of prof. Oak contacting some of Ash friends who proven to have strong understanding and knopwledge about pokemon to go in region Ash travels throughand help in research about ndew features like Kalos introduced mega evolution.Helping to unlock its secrets and discover what requirements need to be fulfilled to ignite this process through use of their pokemon.
    Sparking their interest viewing it as great way to surpass their current limitations and make big steps in achieving their dreams depending on whether they would gain something from it or not.

Or play part in discovering with Ash about origin of pokemon life started on pookemon planet and how they came to earth helping them to better understand pokemon nature and mysteries surrounding them. Which showed to play big role in Iris case being needed to learn how to read hearts of dragon pokemon and connect with them on close level to work as onr in order to become dragon master(arguably this applies to water masters too if Whirl Cup was something to go by).

There exist plentiful of ways to make story which would conjoint Ash and his past friends careers following shared objective, mission which is in their interest to be accomplished. While advancing their own dreams comparatively through new discoveries, tournaments, new pokemon and secrets wating to be discovered.

Returning older characters to play important role in story again and receive more development is smart and desierable to do. Because they serve as bridge cionnecting new generations to previous ones, strengthen continuity and bring new fresh twists to story shaking it up and making more enjoyable to follow.

Setting up groundwork on which you can set up foundation to create long lasting impact on audience, achieve devotedness among viewers and stable ratings long term wise.

Since this way you can not only attract more of viewers toward some show through word of mouth and hype such twists make, but also have target audience get better insight in pokemon history, companion which left impact on it and better understand Ash past and experience he collected over the years. Making them as result more attached to current main characters.

You can appeal that way both to new kids and older fans having bigger sales, bigger ratings, bigger quality of story and setting pokemon anime follows etc.

Where does it says that? What he actually says "she is the master of the champion league", what simply means Cynthia is the regional Champion. In "A Trainer and Child Reunion" Ash states he'll become a master by winning a league, and becoming an Elite Four would only top his dream.

If i recall right Lucian explained to Ash and others how by winning regional league you earn right to compete in champion league comprised of battling E4 members and in case of defeating them champion itself.

Being adressed as step which would bring Ash closer toward pokemon master title. What other tasks Ash needs to achieve and conquer is unknown but becoming champion of one region wont make Ash pokemon master.
    Especially when it was mentioned countless times how pokemon master means becoming strongest pokemon trainer in world and champion of oner region while may be viewed as "best" from that current region, doesnt translate in being best in world.

Just like when may rival Soledad after winning Grand Festival in Kanto became top coordinator of Kanto but not worldwide. Showing to shoot for higher positions given how she traveled to Johto to try winning GF there as well and so on.

If anything logic dictates how in order to prove yourself as most artful, knowledgeable and innovative trainer you would need to challenge an d defeat champions from other regions with best of best being left standng. Just like in real life best among best athletes and players of various sports compete vs each other to determine who deserves to carry title of world champion.

Hence why there could exist master league , Battle Frontier type of task where champions of other regions could gather and compete in one big tournament.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    If i recall right Lucian explained to Ash and others how by winning regional league you earn right to compete in champion league comprised of battling E4 members and in case of defeating them champion itself.
    I'd so like to answer these, but I simply have not seen beyond season 12, I can not yet. I can only make a promise I'll check back when I saw season 16+.

All I can answer is the issue of the new DB: I have no idea what it'll be about. That's why I didn't bother noting the new promised series.

And your quotation I actually looked up the episode and quoted what they say in my previous post. Cheers!

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    I'd so like to answer these, but I simply have not seen beyond season 12, I can not yet. I can only make a promise I'll check back when I saw season 16+.

Some of mishaps and bad handle of storyline and timeline applies to anime seasons prior to Unova , but fair enough.

And your quotation I actually looked up the episode and quoted what they say in my previous post. Cheers!

About that quote, that was English dub mistranslation of what in reality was said in those episodes. Going by pokemon writers scripts, dialogues and point they wanted to leave among viewers.

In episode where Lucian explained about champion league it was never mentioned how by winning league Ash will "become pokemon master". Being portrayed as ground breaking step in bringing him closer toward desired title, but not ultimate destination.

Just like final epusode about DP we had dub wrongly translating Ash thoughts about champion league. In dub Ash says how "by winning champion league he will finally become pokemon master", but in original version such thing was never said with Ash saying how he plans to win champion league becoming champion league master.
    Being something completely different than pokemon master title Ash strives to reach.

Furthermore in episode with E4 Aaron "A Trainer Child and Reunion!"Ash never said how he will become master by winning league or how becoming E4 will top that.

Far from it. Actual lines Ash said in Japanese and only true version were: how Ash wants to win champion league so he can challenge E4 and champion league master. Beig excited how there exists such strong trainer(like Cynthia)that he first needs to defeat all E4 members to be able to battle her officially and attempt to defeat.

You see English dub isn't always most reliable source to get basic idea of what kind of message writers wanted to send through episode and its enough to just wrongly word or translate one line to get entirely different meaning of what happened.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    Some of mishaps and bad handle of storyline and timeline applies to anime seasons prior to Unova , but fair enough.

About that quote [A Trainer and Child Reunion], that was English dub mistranslation of what in reality was said in those episodes. Going by pokemon writers scripts, dialogues and point they wanted to leave among viewers.

Nope, no mistranslation.

And about "mishaps of storyline" I suggest you check how I reverse-engineering the anime while watching it in the "favourite season of the anime" right on this forum (ongoing post).

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    Nope, no mistranslation.

And about "mishaps of storyline" I suggest you check how I reverse-engineering the anime while watching it in the "favourite season of the anime" right on this forum (ongoing post).

Bulbapedia while more reliable than ordinary wikipedia still can be edited by regular fans who make account there. Its not immune to mistakes and this wouldnt be first time it had wrong infiormations present there.

If you doubt in authenticy of what i said feel free to contact some of fluent Japanese speakers and credible members on either bulbagarden or SPPF like Dogasu, Adamant or Sushi for correct translation.

Because this information about what Ash told to Aaron about "becoming E4 topping his master dream" is 100% false. Illogical too, since E4 members are at lower posiion than champion itself.

And not even league champions like Cynthia are classified as pokemon masters.

As for your review o pokemon seasons made in that thread, considering how i disagree with most things you said there and we already argued more than once about characters like Misty or May, Original series storyline or what Hoenn, Sinnoh worse with their change of formula did worse than preceeding series when looking at anime as one big ensemble in terms of consistency and continuity. I believe further didcussion would be not only fruitless , but meaningless as well if both sides in debate cannot find common ground eventually.

I do respect your views on this show, dont get me wrong. But i have different criteria and outlook on wht means to have believable, cogent and well written story.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    And not even league champions like Cynthia are classified as pokemon masters.

NOONE is classified as "Pokemon Master".
    And you never gave your translation, the original official subtitles, or anything to begin with.
    Until that, I don't care.

NOONE is classified as "Pokemon Master".
    And you never gave your translation, the original official subtitles, or anything to begin with.
    Until that, I don't care.

Well,in a way you are wrong. There can be several ways to become a "Master". Actually you can't say that unless you created Pokemon and I guess you didn't. Well if Im not wrong,at least. You can be called a master if you beat all the champions in all regions, beating s*t outta everyone in the whole freaking Pokemon world. Well,if someone defeats everyone in the whole PokeWorld, I assume he has the right to be called "Pokemon Master". And if we are talking about Type-masters, thats possible too. If someone just invites everyone from the world to defeat him/her using a specific type and remains undefeated. I mean c'mon,if someone is completely undefeatable, why wont you call him a master? Anyways I'll just leave this as this is the internet and no ones gives a damn about what I say...

Back to the thread topic, I was not trying to say that they should remove Ash and completely forget about the whole lot of things they did. I think after the show got a lot of popularity,they should have give it a good ending and just close it. Many people would have said the same about DB/Digimon kept on running with their show(Stopping the show would've been a bad move etc etc). I personally think stopping Pokemon series,when it was still very damn popular, and then starting again after quite a while would do the same as DB and Digimon are doing(I mean,look at the hype,they are all over. Even 9gag).

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    There can be several ways to become a "Master". Actually you can't say that unless you created Pokemon and I guess you didn't.

Well,if someone defeats everyone in the whole PokeWorld, I assume he has the right to be called "Pokemon Master".

Back to the thread topic, I was not trying to say that they should remove Ash and completely forget about the whole lot of things they did. I think after the show got a lot of popularity, they should have give it a good ending and just close it. Many people would have said the same about DB/Digimon kept on running with their show(Stopping the show would've been a bad move etc etc). I personally think stopping Pokemon series,when it was still very damn popular, and then starting again after quite a while would do the same as DB and Digimon are doing (I mean,look at the hype,they are all over. Even 9gag).

I agree: You CAN'T say what a Pokemon Master is, unless you are a creator of the franchise - or not even then. As there is no definition of the phrase, we can safely say the phrase doesn't exist (because it has no meaning).
    On "challange everyone on the poke-world" you can't be serious. That'd mean even in the low-population poke-planet MILLIONS of constantly dying and borning people.

The problem again with a hiatus, or an age-gap would be, the Pokemon-franchise settled itself. Age-gap stories go to specials/spinoff series (chronicles, origins). Not entirely unplausible, but than we don't want to see Ash struggling still in Leagues. An age-gap could bemade if you equal PMaster with LChampions, and Ash'd go around challenging Elite Fours and Champions.
    But then what'd be the story? He already saved the whole world more than once, and shown less talent passing his knowledge than something really antitalent.
    Instead I have the feeling Ash'll never win, and in the last episode he'll be old, telling stories to some young one inspiring "despite I never won, I never gave up" and such nonsense.
    Of course there'll be the problem that Ash doesn't age...

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I agree: You CAN'T say what a Pokemon Master is, unless you are a creator of the franchise - or not even then. As there is no definition of the phrase, we can safely say the phrase doesn't exist (because it has no meaning).
    On "challange everyone on the poke-world" you can't be serious. That'd mean even in the low-population poke-planet MILLIONS of constantly dying and borning people.

The problem again with a hiatus, or an age-gap would be, the Pokemon-franchise settled itself. Age-gap stories go to specials/spinoff series (chronicles, origins). Not entirely unplausible, but than we don't want to see Ash struggling still in Leagues. An age-gap could bemade if you equal PMaster with LChampions, and Ash'd go around challenging Elite Fours and Champions.
    But then what'd be the story? He already saved the whole world more than once, and shown less talent passing his knowledge than something really antitalent.
    Instead I have the feeling Ash'll never win, and in the last episode he'll be old, telling stories to some young one inspiring "despite I never won, I never gave up" and such nonsense.
    Of course there'll be the problem that Ash doesn't age...

That was exactly my thinking of the how end is gonna look like: Either Ash being old telling of his experience or just keeps going on his next journey with a hope of "Will never give up" etc.

Back