• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon GO Nearby System Testing Extended to New Regions

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years
This is great! I live in Manitoba and I got the update today. I honestly thought it was going to remain in exclusively San Francisco forever. >w>

However, it seems to mean Pokémon spawning nowhere near a Pokestop are pushed off the list, which is only 9 Pokemon long, and INCLUDES duplicates. It even includes duplicates for the same Pokéstop (e.g. a Pidgey at the Bowling Club, then another Pidgey at the Bowling Club), which is really wasteful of space.

So at the moment I have some very common Pokemon showing at a variety of Pokéstops in the area, filling out my Nearby list full to 9 listings. Which effectively pushed the Krabby off my list, the Krabby that was VERY CLOSE to me (but far from a Pokéstop) AND had very high stats. Not something I really wanna miss.

It's not a perfect system, I'm saying, it certainly makes for some cons along with the obvious pro.

Does anyone know if the footprints mean anything yet? I know you can click on them, but I don't know if it's ever two or one footprint, I've only seen three so far.

Years
  • Age 63
  • Seen Apr 4, 2017
I wish there was a way to exclude common pokemon from "Nearby". At the very least, exclude Pidgeys, Rattatas and Paras. Does anyone care if these are nearby? Nope. It would be a nice option, IMHO. Also, I would like an alarm to sound if an ultra-rare appears.

Years
  • Age 72
  • Seen Aug 24, 2020
How does this work if you are not near poke stops. I would get them show in nearby even though I am not near a stop so will those not show up anymore but show a blank screen

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
How does this work if you are not near poke stops. I would get them show in nearby even though I am not near a stop so will those not show up anymore but show a blank screen
Right now it doesn't, period.

Pokémon will only show up as nearby if they're near a local PokéStop. This is different than "Sightings," which was replaced by "Nearby."

And yes, this is a bad change in the grand scheme of things. They ought to combine the "Sightings" and "Nearby" functions as a best of both worlds thing.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Ok the update appeared today. In my hometown theres tons of pokestops so it only showed those. But at my work there are no pokestops so instead it shows Pokemon with grass.

Pros: it tells you which location a Pokemon is in

Cons: it shows multiple of the same Pokemon aka mostly Pidgey and Rattata.... If it limited a Pokemon to one per stop this would be better.
Since Pokestops take priority if you lived near only 1 Pokestop you'd only see Pokemon by that stop.

Years
  • Age 72
  • Seen Aug 24, 2020
Sounds like its a big step backwards then I used to get pokemon appear near my home which is not near a pokestop that is over half a mile away now there is nothing at all and no pokemon appearing. I gave this game up a few weeks ago due to it being not on an equal footing looks like I will give it ip again.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
tracker epic fail.
it shows 9 pokemon by the pokestops that are several blocks away from me, yet it shows nothing that pops up on top of me. i just caught a koffing a few minutes ago at my office but it was not on the nearby list.

Years
  • Age 72
  • Seen Aug 24, 2020
tracker epic fail.
it shows 9 pokemon by the pokestops that are several blocks away from me, yet it shows nothing that pops up on top of me. i just caught a koffing a few minutes ago at my office but it was not on the nearby list.

Have to agree I thought I would give the game one last chance but it is total epic fail it showed pokestops well away from me only showed silly rats and pidgies nothing of any substance. Walked out a bit further picked up Ekans and Paras and Staryu. NOne of which showed in the nearby tracker at all. I thought there were supposed to be less rats etc showing I saw more than usual. The new tracker makes no sense whatsoever.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Its strange but my game still shows wild Pokemon with the grass when Im at my job. Theres only one pokestop on the base but its not close enough to appear.

Meanwhile at home this morning I can see at least 1 pokestop and it prioritized pokestop Pokemon. Want to walk around my neighborhood to see.

Personally if I was running the game I'd only show one Pokemon species per stop and only the closet stop to me. Then the other 3-6 spots for old style of 1 of each species. Also kind of wish there was a way to exit out of Pokemon I dont care about. Even whole species such as Pidgey and Rattata. Theyd still spawn but wouldnt be mentioned on tracker.

You really dont need to know if there are 1 or 6 Pidgeys at a stop. Guess it does help you plan which way to go as you know of a better way to go.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Omg today in 9 slots at once I had 5 Pidgey, 3 Rattata and 1 Eevee at once. I thought they were from different stops but no most were from the same stop. This game has renewed my hatred for Pidgey and Rattata.

We got rid of them in eggs but now Pokestops are littered with them.

Years
  • Age 72
  • Seen Aug 24, 2020
Same here stops were only showing rats and pidgies this new nearby thingmis totaly waste of space one showing a stop that was like a mile and half away is that supposed to be nearby and with a pidgie. Signed out of the game again. Tracker is useless

VisualJae

Years
Tracker is literally only useful in urban environments right now.

Playing around my hometown versus playing around my workplace is night and day.

However, I do see that the previous "Sightings" feature (with the blades of grass) does show up instead of "Nearby" when there aren't any stops to show anything.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years
However, I do see that the previous "Sightings" feature (with the blades of grass) does show up instead of "Nearby" when there aren't any stops to show anything.

Really? I always get either:
9 Pokestop locations
Or, fewer than 9 Pokestop locations and the rest is blank white space (not filled in with grass ones)
Or, a totally blank Nearby list.

Years
  • Age 72
  • Seen Aug 24, 2020
Same here ordinaryoddball, I never see the sightings with grass just a total blank page and yet a pokemon will appear but never show on the list.

Also all the pokestops do not show on my list there are 3 never show and yet there are pokemon at those stops, and yet it will show a pokestop that is well over a mile away and yet the ones that are half a mile away never show. I ignore the tracker list now as it I found it totally useless to be honest a waste of time. There wasGeodude that appeared near 2 stops but it never showed up on the list. If it were the sightings it would have shown.

If you rely on this near nearby tracker you will miss a lot of other pokemon for sure. All it shows it rats and pidgies etc., and the occassional other. It is not a good system

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
So far the new tracker is as useless as the old one. The only time it was useful was on day one it showed a Growlithe was at a Pokestop near my house. Unfortunately it was a work day and it wasn't a stop we could drive by so it went to waste.

It is interesting that when you click it Pokemon it shows you the stop its at. Unfortunately i only go to stops I know since I dont really have a means to travel to other cities where Im not familiar with stops.

But really the worst feature of this is the double Pokemon from the same stop and again its mostly Pidgey and Rattata.

Oh to the above posters the grass only appears on the tracking system if there are no Pokestops in view. It won't show both at the same time. Though if you live near 3+ pokestops you're going to have 9 spots filled anyways.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 9, 2017
So the nearby tracker went live to other parts of thw world ( South east Asia) as well.

Got it concurrently with the most recent update.

VisualJae

Years
For those unaware, the tracking system has now been updated to include both "Nearby" (Pokémon near PokéStops) and "Sightings" (those close to you, but not near PokéStops).

sMPI6vn.png

It's a logical fix that many people have called for. Good thing it didn't take too long.

Not quite as useful as the 3-footstep feature from the early days, but certainly better than not having one of the Nearby feature or the Sightings feature at all.

Years
  • Age 72
  • Seen Aug 24, 2020
So when did this happen I got the latest update but do not see that for nearby and I am not near pokestops well three quarters of a mile away

Back