• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if: Disney XD hadn't taken over television rights?

Guest123_x1

Late last year, as those in America already know, Disney XD took over the broadcast rights to the Pokémon anime from Cartoon Network, which ran the first-run dub episodes since 2006 when they took over the series from Kids' WB.

When Disney XD took over the series, they ran the first two Sun/Moon episodes, and did not bother to run any further new dub episodes for the next few months, making many fans, including those on here, upset.

Another issue with Disney XD taking over Pokémon is that the channel is found on higher-level (and considerably more expensive) cable tiers than Cartoon Network was typically available on across most providers.

Personally, I felt that TPCI shot themselves in the foot by having Disney XD take over the Pokémon anime, especially when it took several months just for them to show the third Sun/Moon episode onwards.

Spoiler:

Share your thoughts on last year's move to Disney XD, whether it was really necessary for TPCI to sell the Pokémon anime to a more "premium" cable channel, and what you think TPCI should have done instead since (apparently) Cartoon Network wasn't able to renew.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Well, at the very least, I'd be a bit more likely to try and watch Pokémon via online streaming from an official site instead of avoiding Disney like the plague due to being on boycott from them due to some stupidity they've recently engaged in (assuming of course I don't have to wait for them to post the episodes I want to watch in a set amount of episodes.).

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
The anime would be well better off without Disney XD having television rights. I'm not a fan of how they treat the anime at all. Considering how Cartoon Network was doing fine w/it for years, idk why they didn't renew their contract.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
The anime would be well better off without Disney XD having television rights. I'm not a fan of how they treat the anime at all. Considering how Cartoon Network was doing fine w/it for years, idk why they didn't renew their contract.

Yeah, and besides, considering how Disney is doing a lot of stupid things, including the whole ESPN thing and how they handled LeFou and Star vs. the Forces of Evil, all of which would cause them to LOSE future sales, it's better off if CN still retained control over it (especially if they stream it. I won't use Disney's streaming service, and since the only other place I can think of that streams it only allows for the current nine episodes to stream, that's going to force me to wait weeks before I even have the chance to watch Alola, Kanto and When Regions Collide, meaning I have no choice but to delay watching those episodes, and believe me, I actually want to watch those episodes and am very upset at not being able to watch them.).

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I don't think Cartoon Network deserves a big series. They started treating it terrible. Airing it at an insane hour and never promoting it. When Sinnoh started, it started getting mistreated badly by CN. XD is doing an amazing job. I can't say anything negative about anything XD has done. They promote it. They say when there is new episodes. It comes on at a better time. And they treat it like a show. CN just cheated it like crap. Most people didn't even know it was still airing on CN who didn't follow it regularly.

But there would have been no difference. CN would have gotten it again. The only reason it started back in May was because there was conflict with the rights of the show, that was confirmed on the Voice Actress' of Jessie, twitter account.

I can't say anything about XD being on a higher tier of TV. I have always had Disney XD. I have never been without it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I don't think Cartoon Network deserves a big series. They started treating it terrible. Airing it at an insane hour and never promoting it. When Sinnoh started, it started getting mistreated badly by CN. XD is doing an amazing job. I can't say anything negative about anything XD has done. They promote it. They say when there is new episodes. It comes on at a better time. And they treat it like a show. CN just cheated it like crap. Most people didn't even know it was still airing on CN who didn't follow it regularly.

But there would have been no difference. CN would have gotten it again. The only reason it started back in May was because there was conflict with the rights of the show, that was confirmed on the Voice Actress' of Jessie, twitter account.

I can't say anything about XD being on a higher tier of TV. I have always had Disney XD. I have never been without it.

Just out of curiosity, do you have cable? Because I don't, so I can't watch Disney XD right now. And the only other streaming service for the English localization of Pokémon only airs the nine current episodes of a season, meaning I have to wait until they have the episodes I actually want to watch to be posted before I can even be able to watch it.

CN's probably not a good idea knowing how its been treated (then again, I did wake up for Beast Wars Transformers at around 6:00), but Disney XD's not much better. It also doesn't help that Disney's already doing some really egregriously stupid decisions.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
At least Disney does respect the show somewhat. 9am eastern is much better than 7am eastern, and they have the entire series and movies on demand (on Fios anyway) and they rerun the movies on TV sometimes. There's also been marathons and some promotion which CN wasn't doing. Yes Disney XD is not available to everyone with cable but I don't think syndication would've helped because there's no guarantee it would air in every market and it could get really weird time slots.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years

Michele Knotz.

The reason I didn't like how they treated Pokemon when it first aired was because I felt they were rushing it by airing it daily. Disney also tends to randomly stop airing their anime, which I'm hoping doesn't happen w/Pokemon but you never know...

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
They did the daily airings the first week as a premiere event and possibly because of the delay in it starting to air.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I just read about the events of the episodes to get an idea on what it is about. I am not affected by Disney XD in any way.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Sorry to tell you, but polish Disney XD got the rights to pokemon since the diamond and pearl era

Polish CN no longer can be epic channel like his american brother

Last edited:
Back