• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Using Strength and Rock Smash in-game?

Years
  • So for whatever reason Pokemon Transporter does not have support for the Gen II games yet which is presenting a terrible problem. I have a Poliwhirl that is lvl 28 already and wouldn't you know there is a deadline to evolve it if I want my Poliwrath to have it's stab fighting type attack. Submission is not the best attack out there but it's the only decently reliable fighting move for my angry frog. I panicked at this and decided to teach it Rock Smash in the meantime. His current moveset is
    Surf
    Ice Punch
    Headbutt (going to replace with Waterfall when I get it)
    Rock Smash

ya but the thing is I am not exactly sure how good rock smash will be later on. It does lower defenses but it's not like power-up punch which means no way to really sweep with it. It also has a measly 20 base power. Would this really be a reliable weapon for Poliwrath's Arsenal?

Also while we are on the subject I am planning to get an Ursaring and I am only going to have one STAB normal type move. Is Strength good enough? I plan to teach it Ice and Thunder Punch and also keep Feint Attack for coverage against Psychics and Ghosts. Any thoughts? thanks in advanced guys!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Rock Smash is fairly useless. GS is a massive pain for evolving with stones because you can't get them at all early game. :( If you have a copy of VC Red or Blue on another 3ds you can transfer for evolution there if you wanna speed up the process. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do for now :/ Keep it aside I guess until post-game?

But yeah. Rock Smash sucks, you will defo need something stronger.

Strength is good - has always been one of the best HMs so you should absolutely go with it! There isn't really too much better that is also reliable.

Years
  • Rock Smash is fairly useless. GS is a massive pain for evolving with stones because you can't get them at all early game. :( If you have a copy of VC Red or Blue on another 3ds you can transfer for evolution there if you wanna speed up the process. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do for now :/ Keep it aside I guess until post-game?

But yeah. Rock Smash sucks, you will defo need something stronger.

Strength is good - has always been one of the best HMs so you should absolutely go with it! There isn't really too much better that is also reliable.

thanks for the info but how do i get my poliwhirl into Blue version? Pokemon Transporter doesn't seem to recognize my Gold version.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    thanks for the info but how do i get my poliwhirl into Blue version? Pokemon Transporter doesn't seem to recognize my Gold version.

Sorry somehow misread as Pokemon Bank haha hmm are both copies legit? Maybe it is a 3DS issue - have you tried moving them closer together? Are you up to Ecruteak City?

Back