• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Battle] challenging gym battle

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2020
    To make a gym leader battle more challenging i would like to remove all advantages the player has.
    This means that before the battle the gym leader does some checks to see if the player can have
    his/her gym battle.

The checks are done by the gym leader and not some NPC inside the gym because that way the player
    can't "cheat" by getting the approval and then change the pokémons level with a rare candy or evolve,
    it into a non-flying type.

The checks the gym leader does are:
    a count pokémon. It is a 6v6 double battle with only flying type pokémon
    a type check. You can only use flying type pokémon
    a level check. You can only use pokémon between lv 50 and 60 (gym leader lv 55-65)
    a item check. You can only have 4 potions and no revives

The limit of 4 potions and no revives is because the gym leader can have a max of 4 item, and can't
    use revives properly.

To make the battle more challenging i thaught about having a permanent stealth rock set up before the battle starts.
    This would affect the first 2 pokémon you and the gym leader start with.
    The stealth rock can't be removed with moves that remove entry hazards like Rapid Spin etc.

My questions are:
    is it possible to have the stealth rock in play permanent.
    how do you prevent the player from having to many potions, and using revives.
    how do you get this all in a script.

Is it easier to perform all checks first and the mention if the player can have the gym battle.
    Or is it better to have all checks fail on having not met the requirements having 5 pokémon fails the check and thus
    fail, and the player has to get a 6th pokémon, only to fail again when it is not a flying type.

Ace Trainer Slash

If you give me about two hours, I can make scripts
    Years
  • To make a gym leader battle more challenging i would like to remove all advantages the player has.
    This means that before the battle the gym leader does some checks to see if the player can have
    his/her gym battle.

The checks are done by the gym leader and not some NPC inside the gym because that way the player
    can't "cheat" by getting the approval and then change the pokémons level with a rare candy or evolve,
    it into a non-flying type.

The checks the gym leader does are:
    a count pokémon. It is a 6v6 double battle with only flying type pokémon
    a type check. You can only use flying type pokémon
    a level check. You can only use pokémon between lv 50 and 60 (gym leader lv 55-65)
    a item check. You can only have 4 potions and no revives

The limit of 4 potions and no revives is because the gym leader can have a max of 4 item, and can't
    use revives properly.

To make the battle more challenging i thaught about having a permanent stealth rock set up before the battle starts.
    This would affect the first 2 pokémon you and the gym leader start with.
    The stealth rock can't be removed with moves that remove entry hazards like Rapid Spin etc.

My questions are:
    is it possible to have the stealth rock in play permanent.
    how do you prevent the player from having to many potions, and using revives.
    how do you get this all in a script.

Is it easier to perform all checks first and the mention if the player can have the gym battle.
    Or is it better to have all checks fail on having not met the requirements having 5 pokémon fails the check and thus
    fail, and the player has to get a 6th pokémon, only to fail again when it is not a flying type.

You really are nailing it with difficulty, which sounds like fun to battle. :) However, forcing to use flying types is quite limiting, and can be quite annoying, if all the player has on their team is a fly slave, and they would need to level it up to 60 to at least battle. It would be quite a lot of strain on the player to get 6 flying types, and all of them at Lv 60 or so. What you can do however with what you are asking for is you can do some sort of script to activate battle with 6 Pokemon, or even a script that would take away remaining Potions, and then give 4, then you battle. That's all I've got. Hope I helped! :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2020
    True, it would be quite a strain to get 6 flying type pokémon, however the gym could be on a custom map, with water, grass/forest, desert and a cave invironment where the player could catch high leveled pre evolution, or non evolving pokémon flying and non flying for leveling/grinding their pokémon. With the town supporting a move relearner and a move tutor. Some water and bug type pokémon to supply the player with Pearls, big Pearls for one of the tutors and mushrooms, big mushrooms for the other.

Back