• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon Rhodium/Pokémon Thorium

Terigonarct

Lead Developer, Pokémon Rhodium/Pokémon Thorium
Years
  • Pokémon Rhodium/Pokémon Thorium Introduction
    Let me begin by saying that Pokémon Rhodium and Pokémon Thorium are not the exact same game. They are two slightly different versions of the same game, and are paired, similar to the official games. I started this project almost three years ago, and it's really grown since then. I now have a team, known as Skyfury, working on this project. When I started this game, I wanted to take it in a really different direction from the official games. I wanted to do things that had never been done before in any Pokémon game... and that's taken me on this three year journey of fun, tests, and sometimes extreme anger.

What is Pokémon Rhodium and Pokémon Thorium about?
    Pokémon Rhodium and Pokémon Thorium take place in two regions: Rhodon and Thana. These regions are made up of islands and collectively, this area is called the Archipelago. The Archipelago is around five hundred kilometers northwest of Scotland.

There is an international organization known as the Aurora Corps. This organization helps take care of the environment, ensuring pollution and other harmful things are controlled and removed from the habitats of various Pokémon around the world. The Aurora Corps was founded in 2011 by Dr. Richard Armoton, after an incident in which Dr. Armoton saved the life of one of the Champions after an attack by a strange mutated Pokémon. Dr. Armoton discovered that this mutated Pokémon was the direct result of leaking radiation from a nearby nuclear power plant.

Fast forward nine years. You wake up to Dr. Armoton, your father, shaking you awake. Vicious feral Pokémon are attacking the town you live in, and all of its residents must escape to another island. The main branch of Aurora Corps, known as Aurora Labs, has sent several scientists to contain the feral Pokémon. But things don't quite go the way they were meant to...

More information
    Pokémon Rhodium and Pokémon Thorium are being developed using RPG Maker XP, Pokémon Essentials v17.2, all of the plugins developed by Luka SJ and Marin, and some tools we made ourselves. Most of the soundtrack is made up of original compositions written by our sound team, which has been reformed, consisting of four members who wish to remain anonymous for the time being.

Full credits will be posted simultaneously with the full release. We are aiming for a full release in late 2019. A demo will be publicly released around the middle of summer. I will update this post as necessary with new information as we choose to release it. Please feel free to ask me questions and I will answer them as able!

Screenshots, as promised! They're at the bottom because online technology isn't my friend today. Anyway, here's some explanation for each.
    Pic #1: Team member Greg wanders about the Aurora Corps headquarters, based on Kylmä Island in Thana.
    Pic #2: My ridiculously levelled Hydreigon battles one of the legendary Pokémon, Eliama!
    Pic #3: Greg gazes upon the entrance to Victory Road, which is on Mestari Island, in the Thana region.
    Pic #4: This actually isn't a screenshot from the game. It's a map one of the team members drew. Note that not every island is present - this map is (according to the Archipelago history) from the 1800s... not all the islands had been discovered.

Attachments

• AuroraBuilding.PNG
      AuroraBuilding.PNG
      6.5 KB · Views: 70
    • BattlingEliama.PNG
      BattlingEliama.PNG
      40.1 KB · Views: 110
    • VictoryRoad.PNG
      VictoryRoad.PNG
      13.4 KB · Views: 57
    • OldArchipelagoMap.png
      OldArchipelagoMap.png
      122 KB · Views: 56
    Last edited:

Terigonarct

Years
  • I don?t really understand the whole two versions thing ? could you explain what the difference is between the two, or why having two versions is central to the importance of your game?

I like the bit about Dr. Armoton and the Aurora Corps, especially how there?s action right from the get-go (the town you live in is being attacked from the start of the game). Have you thought about ways you could differentiate the special Pok?mon in your game from Uranium?s nuclear type?

I like the idea behind the Archipalego ? my questions then are: How many islands are there? How do you travel between them? Do you have to progress through them in a predetermined order or is it more open-ended?

Overall, though, this sounds really interesting.

The main thing with the seperate versions are the legendary Pok?mon. The legendaries that are available to be caught are different among the two versions. It's similar to the official games and it's basically just for the uniqueness.

Yes, actually we have thought about the differences between those two. That came up when we started actually implementing the story. There will be a lot of differences between these feral Pok?mon and the Nuclear Pok?mon from Uranium. I can't say much but the main thing is that the feral Pok?mon from Rhodium/Thorium have not been exposed to radiation...

There are 11 islands in the Archipelago - five in Rhodon and six in Thana. There's also a post-Champion area not in the Archipelago. Traveling between each island is accomplished by using the HM move Fly or by talking to sailors at each island's port (note that not all islands have ports), or receiving a ride from someone else (like a Gym Leader). Progressing through islands is mostly pre-determined but not all the islands are central to the storyline. All eleven islands can be reached after becoming Champion.

Thanks so much for your interest and your questions!

Terigonarct

Years
  • The main thing with the seperate versions are the legendary Pokémon. The legendaries that are available to be caught are different among the two versions. It's similar to the official games and it's basically just for the uniqueness.

Yes, actually we have thought about the differences between those two. That came up when we started actually implementing the story. There will be a lot of differences between these feral Pokémon and the Nuclear Pokémon from Uranium. I can't say much but the main thing is that the feral Pokémon from Rhodium/Thorium have not been exposed to radiation...

There are 11 islands in the Archipelago - five in Rhodon and six in Thana. There's also a post-Champion area not in the Archipelago. Traveling between each island is accomplished by using the HM move Fly or by talking to sailors at each island's port (note that not all islands have ports), or receiving a ride from someone else (like a Gym Leader). Progressing through islands is mostly pre-determined but not all the islands are central to the storyline. All eleven islands can be reached after becoming Champion.

Thanks so much for your interest and your questions!

I think I should make this little addendum to my statement here... kind of late... Oh well. Anyway, here goes. So there are technically 12 islands. But only 11 are on the Archipelago map. The 12th is... special. I can't say much yet though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    This project isnt dead, right? Because there's been no update or anything... thought the demo was coming out a bit ago..

Terigonarct

Years
  • This project isnt dead, right? Because there's been no update or anything... thought the demo was coming out a bit ago..

Good observation... and no, this project isn't dead. A few curveballs were thrown our way including the loss of two hard drives that had a lot of files on them - namely most of the soundtrack. The music team had already finished their work and so most of them had moved on. Right now we've got a new sound director and two new composers.

So that's where we're at. I'd say it'll be a few more months before the demo sees the light of day, but who knows? I'll post a link to a Tumblr when we get one so we can make regular news posts, because this isn't the place for that sort of thing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    thank goodness. This project reminds me of pokemon uranium a bit, I hope it has the same success as that one

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    Oh hey terigonarct is there any chance there'll be a wikia or something for this because its nice to have all the information in one place. And because i like to find all the pokemon

And also whn will the demo be released cause I want to play it :boogie:

Terigonarct

Years
  • Oh hey terigonarct is there any chance there'll be a wikia or something
    Maybe??? It's definitely not something we've thought about but it might be a good idea. Hey if you'd like, you can create it! It would be very helpful to not only us but also anyone who plays the game when it comes out!

And also whn will the demo be released cause I want to play it
    \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
    A demo will be publicly released around the middle of summer

Please, please, PLEASE read the description before asking a question like this. I'm not trying to be rude and I hope I don't sound that way, but I cannot stress this enough. We're super happy you're interested, but please make sure nobody's already answered your question before posting.

Back