• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate my team OU

DayDreamer

Pokemon Gamer
Years
  • Hey guys. Been playing around with Whimsicott in OU. Did pretty well at start but lately I've been losing really bad. After a few guide reading here and there I restructured it and still I'm losing so I'm wondering if my team is the problem. Still pretty new with competitive battling so go easy on me.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Encore
    - Stun Spore/Worry Seed
    - Substitute
    - Leech Seed
    To support and troll set up sweepers.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 40 HP / 216 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Discharge
    - Heal Bell
    Works well with Whimsicott. Heal bell to remove poison on Whimsicott since a poisoned prankster is useless.

Chandelure @ Shuca Berry
    Trait: Flame Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Energy Ball
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Flamethrower
    This is here to deal with grass type that block leech seed. Shuca berry so that it can live an Earthquake from Venasaur and counter back with flamethrower. Psychic and HP to live a payback from Machamp and kill it. Flame body for chance of burn on u-turners since Whimcicott lures them in. Thinking I could change the item though.

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Recover
    - Rapid Spin
    - Psyshock
    - Thunderbolt
    Too many special attackers on my team so I went with Psyshock over Scald. Thunderbolt because Jellicent. Just my spinner to remove toxic spikes.

Scirzor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Pursuit
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    Standard Scizor. Something to switch in and kill those dragons.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Dark Pulse
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flamethrower
    My lead. Deals with most common leads well so far. Did have Modest nature which was awesome but I got out speed by other scarfers.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • I think the main reason you might not be doing well is that this team isn't very cohesive. There is a lot of dead weight that is just begging to be replaced.

Chandy is first. It doesn't really do anything you say it does--people are just going to switch their Celebi or Ferrothorn out of it--so it's pretty useless. No sane Machamp is going to stay in on something with Flame Body that can roast it because of its pure power. But for your team, it is too slow and frail to be helpful against offense and too weak to help with stall. Lanturn, while awesome, has similar problems.

Ferrothorn is the most common Grass-type and can be removed by Magnezone. That's always something to consider. Celebi isn't really trapped by anything except Weavile (not the best of Pokemon...) so you'll probably want to lure it. A Specs Rotom-W might be a solid replacement for Lanturn, as it gives you a VoltTurn core with Scizor (an easy-to-abuse strategy that can help you get more skilled as you learn the game) that can keep constant pressure on both Grassers. It's just...so much more useful than Lanturn. It can even Trick something particularly troublesome for you, which also helps with stall.

With Chandy, I would honestly just put in a heavy hitter to soften up the opposition. Rotom, Scizor, and Hydreigon make a fine line of defense against many Pokemon, so something like CB Terrakion can be used to soften up the opposition. It also gives you more physical/special balance so you can run Scald on Starmie which is much better than Psyshock.

Beside those two dead weight Pokemon, this isn't a bad team at all, especially since you're new to competitive. It's just hard to win when two of your Pokemon are overmatched. With Rotom and Terrakion in their place, you'll do better, though you can definitely experiment with different things to see what works for you. You can test out a bunch of different Pokemon on our PO server too, and you'll probably get some advice from others. The replacements I suggested are a bit random, so that would probably help, haha.

Back