• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Start screen and starting town

KP7

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2022
    Needing some helpful advice and feedback on what I could do better please!
    Start Screen:
    Splash.png
    Briar Glen, start town:
    2021-04-25.png
    2021-04-25 (1).png

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Overall, it's a nice looking town!

Some detailed comments:
    1) Your start screen is nice too. I like Aurorus and the background. However the Aurorus feels like it has been resized down, hence some "unzooming" border artefacts like this:
    2021-04-26-Zoomed-Aurorus.png

Maybe use a different resizing algorithm (it looks like you're using nearest neighbours, maybe use bicubic), or draw the borders yourself?

2) The city is cute too. I like that you put many details, like the boxes and pots, or the Fletchling in the tree ^^
    There are a few artefacts though. For example, here:
    2021-04-26-Wrong-border.png

you miss the border for the lake. Use this:
    2021-04-26-Right-border.png

About the grass, you used the same pattern:
    2021-04-26-Grass-pattern-1.png

You can vary it:
    2021-04-26-Grass-pattern-2.png

The following is more a question to others. I had this question when I made my maps. When you use this exit:
    2021-04-26-Events-on-exit-1.png

should the teleporting events be this far, or further down like this:
    2021-04-26-Events-on-exit-2.png

?
    (I don't have the answer, and the maps included in Essentials don't use this exit)

And finally, I find it strange that there is only one street light? Maybe put more of them (in front of the houses for example).

KP7

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2022
    I'll definitely fix the pond and grass! Didn't notice until now! And I'll place the events back for the exit into the forest. The exit for the forest came with my essentials so not sure what you mean. I'd do more lights if I had ones that faced down. I think the title screen is just a design idea for now, I'd like to do something really nice but I'm new to all of this so I'll try my best :) Changed the pond and grass! Added in one more lamp and I kept the exit to the forest because when testing the change it didn't feel right. :)
    AtVJ2kz.png

Last edited:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I'll definitely fix the pond and grass! Didn't notice until now! And I'll place the events back for the exit into the forest. The exit for the forest came with my essentials so not sure what you mean. I'd do more lights if I had ones that faced down. I think the title screen is just a design idea for now, I'd like to do something really nice but I'm new to all of this so I'll try my best :) Changed the pond and grass! Added in one more lamp and I kept the exit to the forest because when testing the change it didn't feel right. :)

Awesome town! Definitely feels cosy and balanced, in the sense that you have put the right number of "things" in it, so it feels non-empty but not overloaded.

And I'll place the events back for the exit into the forest. The exit for the forest came with my essentials so not sure what you mean.
    I mean, in my version of Essentials, I don't have an example map using this exit, so I cannot see how the events should be placed in relation with this exit ^^

KP7

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2022
    Which version of essentials do you have? Mine's 18.1 but I'm starting to think everyone got a better version than me 😅 And thank you for the feedback, I'm very happy with it besides it not being the tileset aesthetic I was going for lol

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I'm using the Gen 8 project (it's v18.1 + Gen 8 stuff) It's better if you want moves / items / and so on from Gen 8.

Good luck with the rest of your game!

KP7

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2022
    Thank you! Though I don't see a tileset in there. :) I'll need the luck lol

Last edited:
    Back