• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trainers and Pokemon Levels

Black Eternity

Lord of Eternity
Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2016
    So, I have a concept that requires the levels of Trainer Pokemon to be around the same level as yours, using some type of formula that, I would no problem coming up with by myself.

My only issue is how to attempt this in the first place, since the levels of their pokemon are defined in PBTrainers.txt.

So far the only thing I have come up with in my mind, is, if Pokemon level is >100 in PBTrainers.txt , then use "Formula". But where do I do this? Should I look in Script section "Compile" or is this hidden somewhere in the PokeBattle_ sections?

thor348

That's Oak to You
    Years
  • The following code is in PokemonTrainers in the script section around line 20. The code in red is what is modified. Whenever switch 41 (in my case) is on, it will make the trainers pokemon "balanced" according to the formula I set up. This happens no matter what the pokemons level is as defined in the trainers pbs.
    Hope this helps.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    This script is great. But what about the pokemon moves of the trainer.
    I mean if the game scales a pokemon that has moves acording to a for ex. a level 20 pokemon if it scales to 50 but has the same weak attacks it's kind of not so good.

thor348

That's Oak to You
    Years
  • This was like 6 years ago? Haven't touched RGSS or Essentials since then. Sorry, can't help.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    This script is great. But what about the pokemon moves of the trainer.
    I mean if the game scales a pokemon that has moves acording to a for ex. a level 20 pokemon if it scales to 50 but has the same weak attacks it's kind of not so good.

So this is a great opportunity for you to have a look into how moves are generated for a Pokémon—I assume that for most battles the moveset is just whatever that Pokémon would have at its current level (pretty sure that's how it works in the Gameboy games), so you could work out which moves the Pokémon should know at the new level and replace its moveset.

EDIT: In fact, I would have expected that the code already works this way. So maybe you're asking for a feature that lets you specify multiple movesets for each Pokémon and a minimum level required for that to be the one it uses? Or maybe you want to have some kind of Ember → Flamethrower, Flamethrower → Fire Blast table that's separate from all the Pokémon and consult this and the level-up learnset after the moveset is generated to upgrade some of the moves?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    So this is a great opportunity for you to have a look into how moves are generated for a Pokémon—I assume that for most battles the moveset is just whatever that Pokémon would have at its current level (pretty sure that's how it works in the Gameboy games), so you could work out which moves the Pokémon should know at the new level and replace its moveset.

EDIT: In fact, I would have expected that the code already works this way. So maybe you're asking for a feature that lets you specify multiple movesets for each Pokémon and a minimum level required for that to be the one it uses? Or maybe you want to have some kind of Ember → Flamethrower, Flamethrower → Fire Blast table that's separate from all the Pokémon and consult this and the level-up learnset after the moveset is generated to upgrade some of the moves?

Well both of your options sound great and should work for a difficulty spike, but i guess that the best one is the first one that let you specify multiple movesets. Because this way you can have trainers that uses the same pokemon but in a diferent way.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Well both of your options sound great and should work for a difficulty spike, but i guess that the best one is the first one that let you specify multiple movesets. Because this way you can have trainers that uses the same pokemon but in a diferent way.

Okay, so work out how to do that? What do you think the first steps are? Which parts of the code do you think correspond to the things you need to change?

Back