• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about video games having some reflections or references to the state of the human condition aka IRL

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Go.

So without a doubt that we play vidya games for many purposes, fun, as a pastime, as a career for some, hell even for physical and mental pleasure as well (inb4finedforlewd). No doubt that video games are some of the best forms of interactive fiction since the 80s.

But then there seems to be a continious growing trend of vidya games that cover more "realistic", "relevant", "more human", or simply more relatable to the state of the human condition aka IRL. We have had games such as Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare that seems to have SOME reflections to the current events at that time of that game's release (US War on Terror), or we have Persona 3, 4, and 5 which are Fictional JRPGS that cover very human issues as reflected in the game's particular settings, or much recently, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is a game that lets you play as a character whose journey will cause some serious mental health issues, and we all know how serious mental health issues are.

In short, there seems to be an ever growing trend of video games exploring realistic human issues and emotions. IN OUR VIDYA GMES

And as for some added flavor, we have to upcoming games in Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus and Far Cry 5 which are two games that are set in the United States but somehow people seem to question how politically incorrect these two upcoming games are based on their respective premises --->

Wolfenstein 2 --> set in an alterate reality were Germany won ww2 and the Nazis have occupied America. Given the overall political and human state of NA i mean USA, its kinda understandable? Then we have Far Cry 5 which is a game also set in the US of A but you have main villains that resemble a militant church cult that had some people offended or concerned.

How do you feel about this trend? What are some video games that seemed to cover or explore themes and issues that we face in our own little reality? Or do you just want to say "F**k that s**t!" I dont want to be a boring wuss, i want to be a real ultraviolent manly man who just wants to rip and tear enemies in half and none of this IRL social issue human conmentary bulls*+t.

Last edited:

Mister Torgue

Banned
    Years
  • To be honest, i am not very fond of such things were they try too hard to tackle RL issues in any game in a fantasy setting. I get where they are coming from but it should be more discrete with players having to interpret them instead of being clearly fed with some message.

Or of course theres the infamous Spec ops the line which was meant to be a big *fk you* to the whole point of making military themed games where its centered on what was deemed clicje such as fighting for country and vlowong up terrorists and hostile nations out of the water.

Not a big fan tbh. I rather be watching tofu and eat people kissing in the rain at this point.

Hell it seems to be a big issue that too many games take themselves too seriously in an attempt to match with the positively viewed stigma of books, films, movies, and even comic books.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I like it, I think being able to relate to the world and characters on some level gets me more invested in the game. I'm sure it varies from person to person, I know lots of people just want to get into the gameplay and not think too much about the story or any social commentary, but I'm big on that kind of thing so any time a game does this well without coming across as too preachy, I'm for it.

Mister Torgue

Banned
    Years
  • I think the other big question really is that how far are video game creators are willing to go in covering up some really heavy and sensitive issues in a video game especially for the more controversial ones like FPS, a genre with a very well known stigma especially against NONgamers.

Since Wolfenstein 2 was mentioned, the whole Nazi occupied USA is definitely NOT grounded in reality yet its still seen as a rather sensitive thing to even see in a video game given what USA has been since Trump went into office, but at least Wolfenstein still acknolwedges that its not a game to be taken seriously and its self aware enough to be that. Of course Killing nazis as the main focal point in the game still there and thats already some sensitive social commentary to behold.

Also LUL Hellblade...

Also, another reason why i havent been such a fan of this whole social commentary movement in video games is that we have been getting less ans less badass video game characters to love and adore. Where are the Doomguys, Duke nukems, Serious Sams, Daniel Garners, and hell id include Raiden from metal gear and of course my namesake in Mister Torgue successors? Where are those!?

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Ya know with the recent events happening in Charlottesville, i wanna use my freedom of speech and say Nuck Fazis and especially Neo Nazis and their white supremacy enthic coleansing nipponophibia xenophobia Homophobia BS. I will gladly play Wolfenstein 2 with all of the fervor of ripping and tearing fictional nazis occupying a fictional and alternate timeline. The sweet sight of ripping Nazi scum in half is always a labor of love.

Last edited:
    Back