• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Swine Swine Kanto 5 Stars

Years
  • I made myself a question: If I would do a definitive Kanto run, what would be my team? This is how this adventure was born. I'll be playing with my very best Gen 1 favorites, something that I never did before. This is the reason why there is the "5 Stars" in the thread's title, because, uh, you know, I'll play with my favorites. 5 Stars, favorites, you got it, right? Uh, forget it.

Some Pokémon I didn't played with before because I couldn't trade evolve. This problem was solved with Pokémon Throwback. No, it's not a tool, it's the name of a Hack rom that simply improves the FireRed/LeafGreen experience. I can simulate trade with the machine at Bill's Cottage.

So I had all I need to begin my adventure.

The beginning was like everytime, you already know what happens. I picked a starter, delivered Oak's parcel, etc. I chose Charmander. I think I'll use Charizard as HM slave. This is probably the most humiliating thing that happened to Charizard since ever.

Since this isn't a challenge, I let myself caught and train a Mankey, that is not gonna be in my final team, to defeat Brock. I wouldn't be finding none of my final team members before his gym anyway.

Brock was easy. I had to level up Mankey, but with its fighting moves I hadn't trouble to defeat the Rock-type trainer. On my way to Cerulean I found the first official members of my team. Nidoran M, Geodude, and Sandshrew. Half of my team is weak against Water, and ironically it's the first half I can catch before meeting Misty. None of the other Pokémon I had had advantage, too. By the time I'm writing, I actually hadn't beat her yet. Nidoran evolved, and Nidorino is my best hope her. I'm wondering if I evolve Nidorino, and become stronger, but weak against Misty's water attacks (since Nidoking gains Ground-type), or if I try to beat her with Nidorino the way he is. Next time I'll tell you what my decision was and how I did against the water-type trainer.

My team:

Nidorino Lv 23 @ Quick Claw
    Leer
    Horn Attack
    Focus Energy
    Double Kick

Sandshrew Lv 12
    Scratch
    Defense Curl
    Sand Attack

Geodude Lv 17
    Mega Punch
    Defense Curl
    Magnitude
    Rock Tomb

Last edited:
    Years
  • Entry 2

"It's saturday afternoon and it's sunny at Cerulean! We just heard a young trainer challenged Misty's Water Gym and went victorious! The promising new trainer's name is Leo! He had a difficult battle against our Water Trainer, but with his Nidorino he managed to win! We may hear of him again, as he keeps challenging Kanto's Gyms. This was Kanto Trainers' Report, from your favorite radio channel! Buy Poké-Dolls!"

You've got a spoiler in the last paragraph. But before I could win, I went to Bill's cottage to do some grinding on the way. Then I went back to challenge Misty. The battle was decided between Nidorino and Starmie. First, I put its defense down with Leer, and began to attack with Horn Attack. Her Water Pulse made Nidorino confused two times. But with luck, Nidorino moved at the right times, and it also landed some critical hits! Combining this with some Super Potions and I managed to win! Misty gave me the Cascade Badge! Yeah!

Next, I went south to Vermilion, and attended at a party at St. Anne. It was time to grind Sandshrew and Geodude more. I hate foes that make you confused. There was some of this fellas in the ship. I defeated the trainers and got the HM Cut. It was time to battle Surge at Vermilion City's Gym. I didn't remember he was such an arrogant dude. He took me for granted, but after Sandshrew swept his team, he accepted the loss very well. As a bonus for me, after the battle Sandshrew evolved. I taught Shock Wave, the T.M. I got from Surge, to Nidorino. He already learned Water Pulse, so now he had a quite diverse moveset.

When I left the gym, a professor Oak's aid appeared at Vermilion. He told me another aid at Route 2 would give me an item, so I took the Diglett's Tunnel. It turned out the Item was HM05 Flash, what means now I can pass through Rock Tunnel. But before continuing, I decided to take a rest.

Current team:

Nidorino Lv 28 @ Quick Claw
    Rest
    Horn Attack
    Water Pulse
    Shock Wave

Sandslash Lv 24 @ Pecha Berry
    Brick Break
    Rest
    Slash
    Dig

Geodude Lv 24 @ Cheri Berry
    Mega Punch
    Selfdestruct
    Magnitude
    Rock Tomb

Last edited:
    Years
  • Entry 3

I passed through Rock Tunnel and Geodude evolved there. At Lavender, I met Blue and had an easy battle against him. I left Lavender and went to Celadon to get the Silph. Scope. I met Giovanni for the first time. The battle was easy. I was some levels ahead of their Pokémon.
    I love how random the dialogue is in this game. One girl says "I love Meowth", and then say "meow, meow, meow". Who does speak like this in real life?
    Back at Lavender, I went again to Pokémon Tower. The possessed girls was sinister. I caught a Gastly then I head south to Fuchsia, training my new team member on the way, and it evolved! I prevented the marriage of a couple by defeating them. At Fuchsia, I got the HMs Surf and Strength. Then I headed to Koga's Gym. While the psychic types there were good to train Haunter, I also had some problems because of its poison type, then I got more careful. Well, after a scary incursion at Pokémon Tower, we have more edgy stuff with Koga. He looks really scary, promising you will experiment the "creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon". It's a very impressive introduction. Fortunately, with my Poison and Ground team, I had good coverage against his Poison Pokémon. I used Aerial Ace and Shock Wave (passing through their Minimize and Smokescreen) combined with ground moves and Nidorino's Counter and took care of Koga's team. Different from Surge, Koga became grumpy after losing.

Current team:

Nidorino Lv 38 @ Quick Claw
    Counter
    Horn Attack
    Water Pulse
    Shock Wave

Sandslash Lv 38 @ Quick Claw
    Brick Break
    Rest
    Aerial Ace
    Dig

Geodude Lv 38 @ Cheri Berry
    Mega Punch
    Selfdestruct
    Magnitude
    Rock Slide

Haunter Lv 32 @ No Item
    Confuse Ray
    Spite
    Shadow Punch
    Snatch

Years
  • Entry 4

I went to Vermilion. On the way something odd happened. After my Pokémon getting weak from battling, they were crushed by a clefairy who kept using Cosmic Power. That was so annoying.
    I made many changes in my team. First, I caught a Psyduck. Then I went to Bill's cottage and sent Haunter and Graveler through the transporter machine, which resulted in making them evolve, like they were traded (courtesy of Throwback, the hack I'm playing). Last, I made Nidorino evolve. It was beginning to look like my final team.
    I went to Vermilion then, and played a little in the Game Corner. After this, I challenge Erika. Her plant Pokémon was strong, but my Pokémon were stronger, and I won.
    Leaving the Gym, I passed by the Game Corner again, and done very well. I got me a T.M. Thunderbolt as prize and taught it to Nidoking and Gengar (T.M.s don't break after use in this hack).
    Then I headed to Saffron. The city was crowded with Team Rocket Grunts, and the people said Silph. Co. has been invaded. The rocket who once were blocking the door was sleeping by its side, so I sneaked in. Inside the building I battled many of Rocket grunts, and had my fourth (fourth? I'm not sure) encounter with my rival. His team was high leveled, and we have an almost balanced battle, though I just needed two Pokémon to finish his team. With his blessing, I went on to battle Giovanni. I defeated him, and kicked Team Rocket out of the city. Then I challenged the gym, and defeated Sabrina easily.
    I stopped by the Game Corner at Celadon to play some more, then I traded my coins for Ice Beam. I went down the Cycling Road and I was so happy when Psyduck evolved there.
    I took the sea route from Saffron. At Seafoam Islands, I caught Articuno. It took me a lot of Ultra Balls, but I managed to catch it.
    Exploring the Pokémon Mansion is always fun to me. Maybe because of its lore. The next Gym was Cinnabar's. As you may guess, defeating Blaine was easy. Next was Giovanni. Not a problem too. Golduck took care of all of his team. Humiliated, he gave up on Team Rocket, but due to his honor he gave me EarthBadge and T.M. 26 - Earthquake.
    Now with this T.M. I could make the final Moveset for my team. It was time to face the Pokémon League! I prepared everything and went on my way. For my surprise, Blue was waiting for me to battle me. It was so long since a had a challenging battle like this. Blue got angry at losing and went away. I ran back to the Pokémon Center and got back to the road.
    Finally the Elite Four!
    But my team was weak and now I have to grind. I'll come back later to tell you about the last part of my journey.

Current team:

Nidoking Lv 47 @ Quick Claw
    Counter
    Earthquake
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt

Sandslash Lv 51 @ Quick Claw
    Brick Break
    Rest
    Aerial Ace
    Dig

Golem Lv 49 @ Cheri Berry
    Mega Punch
    Selfdestruct
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide

Gengar Lv 49 @ No Item
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Snatch

Golduck Lv 51
    Surf
    Rest
    Confusion
    Ice Beam

Articuno Lv 50
    Mist
    Fly
    Mind Reader
    Ice Beam

Years
  • Entry 5 - Final entry

After grinding I finally felt ready to battle the Elite Four. First was Lorelei. Gengar took care of her team with Thunderbolt, and Shadow Ball in Jynx's case. It also took care of most part of Bruno's team, but his Pokémon's Rock Tombs caused some harm and I had to call Gengar back and let Golduck take his place for a while. Against Agatha I sent Golduck first. All of her team was poison type, so Golduck swept them with Confusion. At the end, I sent Gengar, that was able to defeat her Haunter and her own Gengar. Lance was a little bit more challenging. My Articuno was first and fainted right away. Nidoking defeated a lot of his team using Ice Beam, but Dragonair defeated after it was weakened by the other Pokémon. I sent Golduck in his place, that was weakened from Agatha, but it didn't stop it from guaranteeing me the victory.
    I revived Nidoking and Articuno and went ahead, because Blue was waiting for me.
    Articuno beat Pidgeotto. His Rhydon beat Nidoking. I sent Sandslash. He wasn't resisting Rhydon's attacks very well, so I sent Gengar. Gengar was knocked out, so I sent Golduck, who finally took care of Rhydon. Articuno took care of his Exeggutor, and I sent Golem against Arcanine. He sent a Flamethrower that got a critical hit and almost K.O.ed me (even though it's not very effective. I healed Golem and sent that doggo away. I revived Gengar to deal with Blastoise, and it did it, and also K.O.ed Alakazam. Blue was defeated!
    What a battle! It made me use the best of my team. And now I finished Kanto with my favorites! The credits began to roll.

xI3ZSQJ.png

Final Team

Nidoking Lv 54 @ Mental Herb
    Counter
    Earthquake
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt

Sandslash Lv 51 @ Quick Claw
    Brick Break
    Rest
    Aerial Ace
    Dig