• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Pokèmon Mystery Dungeon: Ghosts of the Past.

GastlyGibus

I'm battin' a thousand!
Years
  • Greetings, and welcome to another really terrible pokèmon fanfiction! I am your host, GastlyGibus, and I do hope you enjoy yourself.

Non-story related bit if you'd like to read it. Otherwise, the story is posted below.
    Spoiler:

This story is for all intents rated E for everyone. Contents include mild violence, and rarely, mild and infrequent swearing. Nothing too serious, but just a tiny warning.

Table of Contents:
    Spoiler:

Without further ado, let us begin.

Chapter One: Hey You

The large tent flapped lightly in the breeze. It was late in the evening, an orange glow from the setting sun radiating all around, the sun itself hidden behind the sizeable green tent. Here was where the explorer's guild made their home, a group of pokèmon from all walks of life gathered together under one purpose; to discover all the secrets the world had to offer, and to help and assist any pokèmon in need. Many pokèmon, young and old, of all types and species, called this place their home, and it was here that Joshua now stood, simply staring at the entrance with fear in his eyes.

The swadloon didn't move, hardly even breathing, immobilized by the fear and panic beginning to set in.

"Oh, what are you doing, Joshua?" he thought, berating himself. "Joining the guild? Really? Do you really think you have what it takes? You're really going to throw everything away for this?"

He shook his head, clearing the negative thoughts from his mind. No! He wasn't going to back down. Now was the time to throw cowardice aside, to finally take action and do what he set out to do! No more excuses! He was going to march bravely in that tent, shuffle directly up the guildmaster, and ask - no, demand - to join the guild! With a deep breath, he slowly began to move forward.

"Wait!" A voice called out. Joshua nearly jumped in surprise, immediately stopping in his tracks and turning to see an elgyem running towards him. "Joshua, wait!"

"I'm waiting!" Joshua called back, somewhat confused by his friend's arrival. What was he doing here? What did Kyle want?

"Just… wait…" the elgyem said, stopping in front of Joshua and pausing to catch his breath. Wiping his brow, he straightened himself out, turning to the guild tent. "Wow, you're actually doing it, aren't you?" The elgyem said in shock.

"Of course I am," Joshua replied indignantly. "Did you think I was lying?"

"No, of course not," the elgyem said, raising his hands defensively. "I mean, it's just... well, I didn't think you'd actually do it, you know?"

"Well, I'm actually doing it, so there," Joshua said finally, puffing out his chest in a vain attempt to show confidence. It didn't fool the psychic type for a second. "I made up my mind, and that's all there is to it."

"Joshua, I know what you're thinking, and..." the elgyem sighed. "Look, I don't want to try and change your mind, but... are you really sure about this?" He reached a hand over on the swadloon's head, looking his friend in the eye. "You don't have to do this if you don't want to."

"It's not about what I want, Kyle," Joshua said with a sigh. "You know that."

"But it is, Josh," Kyle answered. "I know you feel like you have to do this, but think about it. Are you really ready for that kind of commitment? It takes dedication to be an explorer. Training day in and day out, participating in dangerous missions, tracking criminals, keeping the villages safe... I mean, are you really sure you're up to the task? Nobody will think less of you if you don't."

"Are you saying I'm not good enough?" Joshua answered, a twinge of offense in his tone. "I'm going in there, and I don't need you berating me saying I can't do it!"

"Josh, please, I'm not trying to belittle you. Honest!" The elgyem said in retraction. "Heck, I wouldn't even make it in that kind of work. It's so full of danger and excitement, I don't think either of us would be ready for it." He sighed once, just wishing he could verbalize his thoughts without sounding rude or condescending. "I'm just saying… I… I don't really know how to put it, I'm sorry… but…."

"But nothing," Joshua said finally, turning away from Kyle and back to the guild entrance. "I'm sorry, but I'm going to go in there, whether I like it or not. I have to."

"Then… then I'm going with you!" Kyle exclaimed suddenly. Joshua jumped in awe, turning back to the elgyem with wide eyes.

"No!" He said defiantly. "I'm not dragging anybody else into this. I won't have you follow in my footsteps."

"Do you even have a team?" Kyle said, placing his hands on his hips. He tilted his head, giving Joshua tthat all-too-familiar look of skepticism. "You're really going to go in there all alone, with no friends beside you, to be placed randomly in some group? You know that won't work out well for you at all. I know you too well." Kyle knew how distrustful and, frankly, how paranoid the swadloon was around strangers. How Kyle himself had befriended the reclusive swadloon was a mystery, but the psychic knew that Joshua jumping straight into a group of people he didn't even know would not yield good results. "At least this way you'll have a friend by your side."

"But you'll be throwing away everything just so I won't be alone," Joshua replied. "I appreciate the kind gesture, and honestly, I'd like nothing more than to go in there with you beside me, but you can't just toss away your own living for my sake."

"Oh, come on," Kyle said, crossing his arms. "Throwing away my budding career as a professional chess player? Not to make myself sound pathetic, but there's not much for me out here anyways." The elgyem placed his hand on the swadloon's back. "If you're going to go on this dangerous journey, I'm going to go with you."

Joshua sighed once. He had hoped not to drag anybody else down with him. "Kyle, please, you can't…"

"I can, and I will," Kyle said, looking down at the swadloon with a smirk. "If we're going to get our asses kicked, then we'll get our asses kicked together."

"Language, please," Joshua said, groaning quietly.

"Right, right…" Kyle replied with a chuckle. "Come on. Wouldn't you rather have a friend with you for this?"

"I would, but…"

"But nothing," Kyle replied, mimicking Josh with a grin. "We're going in there, and we're going to walk right up to the guildmaster, ask to join, and be a team!" Suddenly, the elgyem grasped the swadloon's hand firmly. "Come on! We're walking in there together!"

"We can't!" Joshua said, trying to remove his hand from Kyle's grasp but failing.

"Don't try to dissuade me," Kyle said confidently. "We're going in there together, and that's that!"

"No," Joshua said, pointing to the sign in front of the guild.

"Approach the sand pit one at a time and await instructions from the sentry."​

"We literally can't go in together," Joshua informed the elgyem. "We have to go one at a time."

"Oh…" Kyle said, laughing awkwardly to himself and rubbing the back of his neck. "I see. Well then, I'm going in first, and then you have to follow me!" Without waiting for Joshua's response, Kyle ran forward and planted his feet proudly in the circular pit of sand in front of the tent entrance. Immediately, the sand rose slightly and grabbed one foot, causing Kyle to let out an indignant squeal in shock.

"New arrival!" a deep voice bellowed out. Kyle frantically turned his head back and forth, looking for the source, unable to find it. "Stand still, identification in progress." The voice seemed to be coming from underground!

Suddenly, the sand relinquished its hold on Kyle's foot, as the voice spoke once more. "Elgyem, Kyle Mason of Independence! Entry permitted!"

Kyle wasted no time, quickly jumping out of the sand pit towards the entrance to the guild. "W-whoa!" He exclaimed, examining his foot. "That's… weird." He looked over to Joshua, beckoning him over. "Come on, your turn!"

Joshua wanted to object, but he swallowed his words. No time for objections now. Closing his eyes, the swadloon scooted over into the sand pit, sinking slightly into the earth and squeaking helplessly.

"New arrival! Stand still, identification in progress."

"Don't hurt me!" Joshua cried in fear, clutching tightly at his leaf coat and holding his eyes shut.

"Swadloon, Joshua Vensworth of Independence! Entry permitted!"

Just as with Kyle, the sand loosened it's grip on the swadloon, with Joshua darting away towards the guild tent faster than a beedrill. "Phew!" He said, wiping his forehead of sweat.

"New arrivals, please enter the guild and await further instructions," the voice said finally, before all fell silent. The two friends turned to the darkness of the tent, peering at the spiralling staircase inside. Down and down it went, into the earth, leading to the underground headquarters of the Independence city Explorer's Guild.

"Well, no going back now," Kyle said finally, turning to Joshua, nodding. "You ready?"

Joshua hesitantly nodded back. "I suppose…" he said. "...thanks for coming with me."

"Of course, Josh," Kyle said with a smile, patting the swadloon on the back. "Come on, let's go!"

Last edited:

GastlyGibus

I'm battin' a thousand!
    Years
  • Author's Note:
    Spoiler:

Chapter Two: Spirits Rebellious

Down the long, spiral staircase Kyle and Joshua descended. Each step brought them further down, the steps lit by small torches on the sides of the walls. The farther they went, the more anxiety filled Joshua's mind. He was so sure of this just moments before, but the instant he entered, his worries began to return. What if he wasn't cut out for this? What if he didn't even make it in at all?

Joshua shook his head. He was doing it again, letting his anxiety get the better of him. He pressed onward, moving down the stairs more quickly. He had Kyle by his side, too. As much as he was doubting himself, having a friend beside him helped ease his worries, if only slightly.

As the two finally made it to the bottom, the hollowed-out room of the guild headquarters came into view. The entire interior of the guild was carved into the earth; inside were doorways and rooms of all shapes and sizes, underground and safe from inclement weather and disasters. The tent above was the only part of the guild visible from the surface. As soon as they entered the main area, they were greeted by the tall figure of a servine, a small clipboard in his hands.

"Greetings," the servine said cordially, turning to Joshua and giving a friendly smile. "When the sentry told me you were here, Joshua, I almost didn't believe it!" He chuckled lightly, happy to see the swadloon at the guild. "How is your sister doing?"

Joshua gave a modest wave back, forcing a smile out of etiquette. "Sh-she's doing well, sir… for her condition, that is."

"Please, call me Matthew," the servine replied with a smile. "And that's a shame, really. You let her know that there's always room for her back at the guild when she recovers." He cleared his throat, assuming a more professional posture once more. "But enough of that! How may I help you two? Is there a request you'd like to make of the explorer teams?"

"A-actually…" Joshua started, finding it increasingly difficult to vocalize his thoughts. "I was… I mean, we were here to… er… we were here-"

"We're here to join the guild, sir!" Kyle interrupted, giving a small salute to the servine. Matthew seemed surprised, raising his eyebrows at the elgyem.

"We?" Matthew asked, bewildered. "As in, the both of you?" He turned to Joshua once more, turning his head in confusion. "Am I hearing this correctly, Joshua?"

"Y-yes sir…" Joshua said.

Matthew almost seemed concerned for the swadloon. He could clearly see Joshua was ridden with apprehension and anxiety at this moment, and he knew the boy to be a scholar; a lover of knowledge and education, certainly not the type to become an explorer. "Joshua, are you sure about that? You don't have to-"

"P-please, Matthew," Joshua interjected. "Kyle already tried to talk me out of it. I'm joining the guild, and that's final."

"It's dangerous work," Matthew added, shaking his head lightly. He almost couldn't believe what he was hearing. This wasn't like the swadloon at all. "I just want to make you aware of that."

"I am aware, and I don't care," Joshua said, almost defensively. "I-I mean, I do care, b-believe me, I wrestled with this all week, and I thought ab-bout it long and hard, b-but I mean…"

"He means he's going to do it," Kyle added for his friend. "And besides, he's got me to help him!"

Matthew looked unconvinced. Kyle being there to help Joshua didn't build confidence. They were both cut from the same cloth, more inclined to intellectual pursuits than adventures full of danger and mystery. Regardless, it seemed they were both here to become part of the guild; if that's what they wanted, Matthew was not going to turn them away. "Very well," he said finally, nodding once. "Come with me. We'll have to get your applications in right away, then."

The servine began to walk down the main gathering area towards a long hallway at the end of the room, with Kyle and Joshua following closely behind him. They passed by several other rooms on their way there, with Matthew making small gestures to each doorway as they passed.

"As members of the guild, you'll have near-unrestricted access to any facilities we provide, minus the personal chambers of your fellow guildmates." It was clear the servine has gone through this routine before, sounding as if he was reading from a script. "Make use of them as you see fit." They continued onward, passing by a training dojo, a dining hall, and even a lounge area. Eventually, they reached the residential rooms, seeing several empty spaces with nothing but small, hay cots and drawers for storage. It seemed most of them were unoccupied.

"This is where you'll be staying," Matthew explained. "To rest and recuperate after each mission. As these are being loaned to you and not given, I expect you to have good stewardship and housekeeping." He continued walking forward, not giving the two a chance to inspect the rooms, the pair hurrying behind him to keep up with his pace. Finally, they reached a large doorway, ornately decorated with a bright floral pattern, in likeness of a meganium. Matthew stood next to the entrance, pulling out a small key from his clipboard and unlocking the door.

"This is my office and residence. If you have any questions about anything, or you need to find me for any reason at all, this is where I'll be." With a small push, the door opened effortlessly, as the servine led Kyle and Joshua inside. All within the office was incredibly well kept and decorated, looking more like the room of a dignitary than a place of work. Awards and ornate pictures were spread about, along with cushions of all colors and sizes. At the end was a small desk, where dozens of books and tomes were kept in neat order on top. Matthew walked to the desk, pulling out a drawer with applications to the guild. "Now then, read over these, if you will."

Both Joshua and Kyle took the papers handed to them, reading them over intently as Matthew gave them a synopsis. "By signing these applications, you are accepting all the rules and guidelines of our guild, as well as pledging your services to us as needed. In return, the guild provides you with benefits and rewards as compensation."

As Joshua and Kyle looked over the papers, Matthew cleared his throat, holding his hands behind his back and leaning forward to look at the two recruits intently. "Remember, this is a serious commitment." He turned to Joshua, not saying a word; his eyes speaking clearly what he was thinking.

"No one will think less of you if you back out. Are you sure this is what you want to do?"

Joshua returned the look, freezing in place as he thought of the ramifications of his actions. Once he signed these papers, there was no going back; certainly not with his dignity intact, at least. After a moment of consideration, the swadloon gave a determined nod, signing his name along the bottom of the application. Kyle did the same, the two turning in their applications to Matthew, the servine taking them and placing them neatly on his clipboard for later.

"Excellent. Right this way, please."

Matthew led the two boys to the far side of the room, towards a large, brilliantly designed chest adorned with the colors of gold and silver. With a flick of the latches, Matthew lifted the top over and reached inside, producing two colored sashes along with explorer badges. "Now then, as I'm sure you're aware, these are your guild sashes and badges," he explained. "They identify you as members of our guild. The badges in particular have the unique ability of transporting you from a dungeon back to the headquarters here, so don't lose them."

Joshua and Kyle took their new gifts, Kyle looking over them with excitement. The elgyem quickly donned his new identifier - a shining, bright pink sash, the color of a beginning recruit - pinning his badge on the front and puffing his chest with pride. "I feel like an explorer already!" He said confidently, placing his hands on his hips.

Joshua silently wished he could share that confidence. He took his pink sash and wrapped it around the side of his leafy coat, likewise pinning the badge on the front. For a moment, he simply stared at the marker, the small, blue pin reflecting the lights inside the room. Faintly, Joshua could see his own reflection in the badge, his expressionless face looking back at him.

"I guess this is it. I'm an explorer now…"

"You certainly look the part," Matthew said to them, smiling. "But not yet. There is one last thing to do before you can officially be called apprentices. The matter of your entrance exam."

"Exam?" Kyle asked, tilting his head. "We have to take a test?"

"All new apprentices have to pass a practical exam," Joshua replied. Despite his reluctance, the swadloon was well-aquainted with the guilds methods.

Matthew nodded, grinning lightly at Joshua's answer. "Correct," he said simply. He glanced idly at the clock on the wall, before turning back to the recruits. "But, seeing as it's a bit late, the exam will have to begin tomorrow morning. For now, you two may sleep here at the guild, in the rooms provided. I expect you to be up first thing in the morning, and we can begin your test."

As night was beginning to fall over the guild, Joshua and Kyle began arriving to their new room in the headquarters. Joshua had already packed his belongings before he entered, but Kyle had to go out to his home before the moon rose to gather his own.

"Well, this room is as good as any other," Kyle said happily, placing his bag on the ground. All of the rooms were virtually identical, and the way it was set up, any empty room could be taken and claimed by members of the guild.

Joshua simply scuttled into the room, taking a brief look around, his face empty of expression. "It'll do," he said plainly.

"So isn't this cool? We're like roommates now," Kyle said happily, trying to elicit a smile from his friend. "Living on our own, going on adventures… I know what the guildmaster said, but honestly, being an explorer sounds kind of fun."

"Maybe…" Joshua replied. He reached into his bag of belongings he had brought with him. It was naught but a few possessions of sentimental value; a faded metal coin, a small decorated chess-piece, and a picture of himself, framed, along with his mother and sister.

Kyle noticed the picture, piquing his interest. "Oh, was that from the local tournament?" He asked. He was familiar with the scene; he had been there to watch Joshua participate.

"Yeah, it was," Joshua answered, holding the photo in his hands; it wasn't terribly long ago, only about four years. The photograph showed Joshua, a small trophy in his hands. The swadloon was being hoisted up on the shoulders of a Scizor, his sister, with a Leavanny, his mother, standing beside them, carrying the brightest smile Joshua had ever seen. "First chess tournament we'd played in. That was right before we actually started a chess team."

"Yeah! I remember now," Kyle said, standing beside Joshua and looking at the photo together. "Heh, those were the days, weren't they?"

Joshua nodded, finally beginning to grin just slightly. "Yeah. They were."

Kyle patted his friend on the shoulder, before moving to his own bag and unpacking. "Oh, you remember that one girl there? The duskull kid? Celine, I think?"

"Yeah, Celine… How could I forget?" Joshua said. "She was a character, I'll say that much."

"Yeah, but she was pretty damn good, I'd say," Kyle answered, earning a tut from Joshua for his language. "She showed up at the regional tournament and wiped the board with me…"

"She was good, definitely… if not a little eccentric," Joshua said, still admiring the photograph in his hands. The room fell silent for a moment, Kyle unpacking his belongings before speaking up again.

"So… I take it you and the guildmaster know each other?" He asked.

"Hm?" Joshua muttered, staring at the photograph and not paying attention to what Kyle had said. "Oh, I'm sorry… what about the guildmaster?"

Kyle chuckled lightly at Joshua's inattention. "The guildmaster seemed to know you personally."

"Oh, yeah, he knows my family…" Joshua replied hesitantly. "He was friends with my dad when he was in the guild."

"Right, you told me your dad was an explorer," Kyle said. "Was he any good?"

"Ever heard of Team Razor Wind?" Joshua asked. Kyle's eyes went wide at that name.

"What!?" He asked in surprise. "Your dad was in Team Razor Wind? Why didn't you tell me that? They were one of the coolest rescue teams around!" He thought back to his days as a young boy, regaled with the stories the explorers shared with them. One such team was Team Razor Wind, led by William 'Hammer Claw,' named such for his unparalleled strength and fortitude in battle. "Didn't they find the hidden treasure in Madman's Mark?"

"They did," Joshua answered. Unlike Kyle, he didn't share in the enthusiasm for exploration teams. For his family, exploration was like second nature… well, except for the swadloon. All he ever heard about during his childhood was the exploits of his father's team, as well as the other teams in the guild. "My father was good friends with the Matthew before he became the new guildmaster. We even shared a family dinner together when Matthew was promoted."

"Wow…" Kyle said in amazement. "I knew your dad was a scizor, but not the William 'Hammer Claw' scizor! You just said he was an explorer."

"Well, I guess it wasn't as important to me…" Joshua said with a shrug. "I've been surrounded by the guild since I was born. My father was in it, his father before him, and his father's mother before them both… I suppose, after a while, it all just sort of… blends together." Joshua sighed, becoming more downtrodden as the conversation went on.

"I see what you're saying," Kyle said in reply, frowning upon seeing Joshua's discomfort. He thought about what it must have been like for his friend, to be in a family so a part of the explorer's guild that it was almost nothing special. Now he was beginning to put the pieces together as to why Joshua would join up so suddenly. Seeing Joshua growing more uneasy, it must have been a topic of insecurity for him.

The elgyem shook his head, trying to think of a way to change the subject. "Oh, hey, look what I brought," he said. Joshua looked over at Kyle inquisitively, seeing him pull out a small, rolled up length of thin rubber. With a wave of his arms Kyle unrolled it, placing it flat on ground, revealing a portable checkered board. Reaching again into his bag, Kyle pulled out another small pouch, with chess pieces for each side. "We can play together in our downtime! No need to let our skills get rusty just because we're explorers now."

Joshua smirked at Kyle's attempt to cheer him up. If there was one thing the swadloon enjoyed, it was a good game of chess. "Thanks," he said simply. "You know, we've got a few more minutes left in the day. Want to play a few matches before bed?"

"I was just about to ask you the same thing," Kyle said triumphantly. He immediately began to work on setting up the pieces. "So, white or black?"

Deep, deep in the dark caverns the sableye crawled. So many glittering gems, so tasty, so appealing... but no! He must return to his mistress with his prize. The time for eating would come later. As he traversed the dank caves, he eventually came to his destination. A large opening in the cave, adorned with torches for light. The sound of a water crashing from a waterfall at the end, with a small clearing directly in front of it. On a makeshift throne of stone, sitting impatiently, was a mismagius, with her head resting on her palm.

The sableye ran up to the ghost-type gleefully, all too ready to present his mistress with a satisfactory job well-done. "Master, master! Sheelo returns! Sheelo is here with jewel for you!"

"It's about time," the mismagius said curtly. "Well, let's see it! Give it here, quickly."

The sableye did as commanded, holding his palms out with the small emerald he had obtained. The mismagius grabbed the gem, analyzing it, her face devoid of emotion. "Sheelo," she asked, "describe to me exactly what I told you to do."

"Oh! Oh!" Sheelo stated excitedly. "Sheelo go to Floral Ruins to get important ruby for master!"

"Yes, yes..." the mismagius said, her voice monotone, not taking her eyes off the emerald. "And tell me, what color are rubies, Sheelo?"

"Rubies are red! Pretty, pretty red!" the sableye responded, lightly hopping from foot to foot in anticipation. Surely he was to be congratulated on a job well done.

"Very good, Sheelo!" the mismagius replied, clapping her hands, before holding out the gem to the sableye. "Now, what color is this gem?"

"Gem is green! Gem is..." Sheelo stopped, suddenly realizing his error, his smile fading quickly. The enthusiasm left him, deflating his spirits like a balloon with a hole. He began to tremble slightly, falling to his knees in defeat.

"You bumbling idiot!" the mismagius suddenly shouted, throwing the emerald, smacking Sheelo square in the forehead. The sableye rubbed his head in pain, cowering and whimpering as the mismagius rose from her seat. "I gave you a simple task, to find the ruby, and you can't even do that right!"

"Sheelo is sorry! Sheelo is very, very sorry!" the sableye sobbed, now prostrating himself before his mistress. "Please don't hurt Sheelo! Sheelo will do better! Better for master!"

The mismagius was about to raise her voice again, before realizing it wouldn't be best to destroy her most loyal servant, the incompetent fool that he was. He was a useless simpleton, but he was an obedient, useless simpleton.

"Get up," she ordered, causing the sableye to slowly rise to his feet. "Do you promise to do better next time?"

"Sheelo promise!" the sableye said, pleading. "Sheelo will do better!"

"Very well," the mismagius said, rolling her eyes. "I have another task for you, one so simple, even you can do it."

"Sheelo ready! Tell Sheelo what mission is!" he replied eagerly.

"Go to the Forgotten Abyss. There you will meet an associate of mine, a seadra, by the name of Uziah. Tell him I sent you, and he will explain the rest. Do you understand? Or should I nail the directions to your forehead in case you forget?"

"Sheelo understands," the sableye replied, bobbing back and forth happily, her previous cruelty all but forgotten by his small mind. "Forgotten Abyss. Seadra. Uziah. Will do! Will do good for master!"

"Good," the mismagius replied. "Get to it, then."

With that, Sheelo sprung away, once again jittering to himself in eager excitement. The mismagius simply brought her palm to her face, mentally exhausted just from dealing with the fool. "Idiot..."

Back