• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Super Mario Bros U Super Play

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I've known about these since I beat the game last January, but it never occurred to me how obscure these videos are, so I want people to acknowledge it.

Here are some examples of these "super plays"
    Don't Touch Anything
    Seriously! Fire, Bro!
    Fuzzies on Ice
    Screwtop it Up
    So what are these super plays? Well, they're basically videos showing top level play on New Super Mario Bros U, but at the same time, it also shows how genius the game's design is. How? At first glance, you might just think the player has tremendous skills, but when you think about thoroughly it it's more than just skills.

Take a look at the first two videos. These show why NSMBU's controls are second to none. The amount of techniques used are tremendous. For example, the player uses a ground pound to give a slight boost to the jump to avoid the first balls. The amount of freedom given to the player in terms of controls allows them to come up with many different ways to use every technique in Mario's repertoire with no limitation.

But the real meat here are the third video and fourth videos. Why? Well, because it showcases the level design of these games of course. It's already evident that the levels in Mario games are designed so that every player can enjoy them at their pace, regardless of skill. But they're also designed for the players to be creative with them and for speedrunning. Essentially, they're playgrounds. There's no "correct" way to play these levels, but there are many many ways to beat each and every single level in the game however you want. And that also leads to the speedrunning capabilities. I already mentioned how tight the controls are, but combine that with creativity and finding a new, fast way to beat the level and you got yourself a timeless game. Designing a level like these in a platformer is very hard, but NSMBU is the best at it. Each and every level is different, and it's largely because of that.

But really the reason why I made this thread is so more people could watch these videos. They're amazing and jaw-dropping! Really makes me want to just pop the game and play it, and that's why these videos are genius. I can never get tired of watching them. Check out the whole channel!

Back