• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] Milotic's Voyage Home!

Years

Today is a special day for me. Hoenn is my favorite region of all time. It's been many years since I played the original RSE games, and I deeply miss the innocence of gen 3. I have decided that it's time to go back to revisit all which I love, the contests, gorgeous watery landscapes, some of my top ten pokemon, glass-making, the battle frontier, and all the characters that warmed my heart, Steven, Wallace, Wally, Prof Birch, Norman, in a story that will always grasp my interest about the forces of nature. This week marks the beginning of my reunion with Pokemon Emerald.

Hop aboard my prism-scaled back if you please, Milotic just used surf, we're on our way across the ocean back to Little Root Town where it all began!

I can't help but smile as I hear the pastoral sounding intro music and watch all the different pokemon flitting behind your character as you cycle ahead, and little torchic unable to keep up. I haven't felt this nostalgic since Pokemon Crystal was released on the virtual console. It's so good to be home at last.

Years
Chapter 1

I fumbled my way out of the moving truck, passed the Vigoroth carrying packages, talked to my mom, set my clock, withdrew a potion from the pc, and did all the boring stuff you do in your hometown, got sent back and forth to the rival Brandon's house and the laboratory.

Finally that wonderful zigzagoon went to work chasing Prof Birch. That moment still gets a chuckle out of me, watching the man flee for his life from this harmless looking pile of fur. The poochyena from Ruby and Sapphire is more threatening. You might get chased by a dog, but who gets hunted down by a raccoon? LOVE IT!

Usually I pick Treecko as my Hoenn starter. Sceptile's mega evolution in Oras really solidified this line as my favorite of all generations. However, I love all three of the Hoenn starters, and since I would normally get Sceptile and in general prefer grass starters, I decided to mix it up a bit. So this time I picked Torchic, who is super cute! Besides, having a fire starter this time offers me a bit more of a challenge in Emerald. In Ruby and Sapphire Torchic or Mudkip have the edge because of who the champion is. Swampert's ground and Blaziken's fire moves will come in handy. However in Emerald there are some changes and Sceptile has the advantage because you have a new champ, and grass is what's super effective in this case. So it'll be interesting working out a strategy for the pokemon league since I am putting myself at a slight disadvantage this time.

I named the precious Torchic Peep, drawing inspiration from the marshmallow peep chick.

Fortune has smiled on Peep and I. He just so happened to have a Jolly nature. That is ideal. I wasn't even trying to get a competitive nature, a neutral one would have sufficed. So Lady Luck is on our side right now! *knocks on wood*

So I ran the generic errands to Route 3 looking for Brandon, took the gift potion from the clerk at the pokemart, hoping not to stumble on any Shiny pokemon all the while before receiving pokeballs.

I had defeated a couple of low level poochyena and wurmple along the way, so I ended up being a level or two over Brandon when we fought. Peep defeated Mudkip. We returned to Littleroot, got pokeballs from the lab, and the running shoes from mom. It feels good to sprint away with that B button.

I returned to Odale and bought more pokeballs, bringing me up to 12 balls. Since I already had 2 potions I bought status healers instead of more HP healers, knowing that I am on the way into a forest with bug, poison and grass pokemon that could possibly paralyze, poison or put Peep to sleep. I am well stocked for the journey, with only a thousand pokedollars left in my pocket. But I will be battling trainers soon, and build up my savings back up.

I took my leave from town now that the scientist examining pokemon footprints roadblock was gone. As I made my way through the tall grass I ran into a Lotad. I hadn't caught any pokemon, my gift starter not withstanding, but this one got my attention. Lotad has an excellent and unique typing of water/grass, and should be helpful in the first gym encounter against those annoying rock pokemon that Torchic might not want to face currently as a fire type. Lotad becomes Ludicolo, a very strong pokemon that will be a dream to have in some of the late game matchups like Wallace/Juan. I don't know why I did not think of it before. Definitely a pokemon worth investing in, and more than just your average early route pokemon.

Peep was level 8, and Lotad was only level 4, a scratch from Peep did less than half health so the Lotad held it's own pretty well. I thew my pokeball at Lotad, and we successfully captured her. I named her Lilypad as a wordplay on Lotad and a nod to the lilypad shape atop her head. The name also seemed fittingly feminine since she is a female Lotad.

Lilypad is bold nature, which is also not a bad choice at all. I'm happy about capturing my first wild Pokemon, and think this is a good place to save. Welcome to the team Lilypad. I have never used a Ludicolo before, so another fresh experience awaits me.

Last edited:
Years
Chapter 2

Lilypad fought and knocked out a couple of wild wurmple on her own, Peep helped her out with a little switch training when Zigzagoon and Poochyena crossed our path. Since her only attacking move was astonish, a very weak ghost type move that zigzagoon is immune to and poochyena resists I really appreciated having Peep there to lend a hand. He assisted until Lilypad learned absorb, and was able to defeat them on her own.

On our way through route 102 a wild ralts appeared. I was interested, but reluctant to engage this one in a battle because I know Ralts is one of the frailest pokemon out there, and hard to come by in this game. I was afraid of knocking it out. Instead of attacking it with my Torchic that was 3 times it's level and could potentially k.o it with only scratch, I took a chance and just threw poke ball without attacking. After my pokeball shook 3 times Ralts freed itself. Fortunately for me it can't telport away. It only knew growl. I tried throwing a pokeball again, and the same thing happened over and over. It kept breaking out and using growl. It was clear that Ralts wasn't going to stay in it's pokeball at full health, and I was runnng out of balls. If I wanted this pokemon I had no choice but to fight it. I banked everything on Lilypad, switched her in, and used absorb. 1 absorb took the level 4 ralts down to more than half of it's health, but it was still standing, and I was able to capture it on the next turn.

So we have a male ralts now. Welcome to the family little one! I named him Ariel after the elemental spirit. As lovely as Gardevoir's design is, if this was a generation later I would jump at the chance to use a dawn stone on it. I don't mind potentially raising a Gardevoir though, and having a mild nature is better admittedly for Gardevoir since it raises special attack, not physical. For now Ariel will just sit along for the ride. There's not much he can do with only growl at his disposal. Once I get the experience share I plant to let him hold it to help him catch up. He may have a role to play later on.

Our next stop was Petalburg city, where I met up with daddy Norman, and was
introduced to Wally and had a case of Deja Vu after being sent to watch him catch a wild Ralts of his own. It's a very fitting pokemon for him, because it's physically very weak, but is capable of deep devotion and has a spiritual power that it's special and potentially strong despite its fragile body.

As I travelled with my three pokemon companions Lilypad got herself some good experience on route 104 using absorb on wild marills and fighting the fisherman with Magikarp. She's not far behind her brother Peep now.

The Petalburg Woods were a walk in the park. Since my Torchic knew ember it
annihilated all the bug type trainers, and set the woods on fire. It was a very good training ground for him, and he's not far from evolving.

I came upon the Devon corps scientist being harassed by Team Aqua grunts, and did my part to save the poor man.

After chasing Team Aqua away I exited the woods, picking lots of berries along the way. I have to use them very sparingly because my internal battery has run dry, so time-based events don't work and I can't grow any new berries unfortunately, making each one I find super precious. I will save them for making pokeblocks and as held items in major battles against the elite four and gym leaders.

After battling some more trainers outside of the city, including the rich kid trainer and some double battles, we arrived at our destination at last Rostboro City. Let the fun begin!

Years
Chapter 3

I healed at the pokecenter, grabbed some of the dropped items on the adjacent route 116, and battled a couple of trainers between Rustboro City and Rusturf Tunnel just because I could.

Peep evolved from Torchic to Combustion while fighting the youngsters and hikers. I am so very proud of his hard work. He grew up fast, and is quite strong. I know that he is well-prepared to fight Roxanne's Pokemon because he has gained the fighting dual typing, and knows double kick now. That being said, this is a bittersweet moment. I miss the adorable baby chick that I started with, and kinda wish I had a few more levels left to enjoy with his in his first stage. But if he's ready to grow up I won't stop him! I love this Pokemon. Blaziken is my favorite of the multiple fire/fighting starters.

I planned to save Peep as my ace in the hole at Rustboro City gym, and see how far I could get with my Lotad Lilypad. Lilypad oneshotted all of the trainers in the gym with just absorb. So she's no slouch either. As we made our way towards Roxanne I crossed paths with two trainers at once, initiating a double battle. In that moment Lilypad and Peep teamed up, and both ohko the geodudes.

Something important happened after that battle. Lilypad evolved from Lotad into a Lombre. Now she and her brother Peep are both in their second of three stages of evolutions, and make a good team.

The next battle was Roxanne. I led with Lilypad. More Geodudes, and more ohkos by my Lombre. The only thing in the gym that didn't go down in one hit was Roxanne's Nosepass, but we still had the advantage. We did a third or half health with each absorb. It was a three hit k.o but the battle was protracted for several turns with the Oran berry activating, and Roxanne pouring potion after potion down her final Pokemon's throat. She was just prolonging the inevitable though. She was defeated, and thanks to my lovely Pokemon we have a stone badge. Unfortunately, Peep didn't get see as much action as he might have. It wasn't necessary to send in the reserve for this fight. But it was still a big day for him, and his time in the light will come! There are still seven more gyms out there, evil teams to face, rival fights, the elite four, champions, gym rematches, post game battle facilities and more!

Years
Chapter 4

After our team's victory at Rustboro gym I saw the Devon co scientist again. He was a witness to a crime, and directed me to the Team Aqua grunt that had made off with Peeko the Wingull. I chased him into Rusturf tunnel, k.oed the grunt's Poochyena, freed the stolen Wingull, and saw the happy reunion with Mr. Briney and his Pokémon.

The Devon co scientist took me to the research facility, gave me another great ball I think, and then and I met with Mr. Stone. He seems like a cool boss, and a fun dad. I got the pokenav from him too, so now I can rematch trainers. Then as requested I went on a mission to deliver Steven's letter to Dewford.

I knew I would be needing the ferry, so I left Rustboro to get back to Mr Briney's cottage. Before I could get out of town Brendan was waiting for me, and we had ourselves a rival battle.

It's been awhile since I have played Emerald. While Brendan is not one of my favorite rivals, it's interesting to observe how he developed subtly over the years. The original Brendan is more of a loudmouth who thinks he knows so much, whereas in the remakes he seems to be nicer and more reflective. He was never in your face bratty like Blue or Silver, but he's still subtly different here than he is in Oras. In gen 6's his dialogue is just a little more polite and complimentary, going into detail about bonds with Pokemon, and asking to be your friend. There's cut scenes of you guys watching wild Pokemon together, and just chilling, and he teaches you how to sneak up on Pokemon, and shows excitement when you succeed.

The dialogue that this Brendan gets in Emerald is similar, but could be read as taunting at times rather than genuinely helpful depending on your point on view, I.e I'll teach you what being a trainer is all about! That swagger is lessened in more recent games.

I said all that to say I was eager to defeat this Brendan, which my Pokemon easily did. I used my newly evolved Combusken against him and we did a clean sweep. I even left him in on Mudkip. While my Lombre had even more of advantage I liked the idea of our starter Pokemon going head to head with eachother. Besides, since Lilypad got most of the glory in the gym, Peep was ready to get in on some important battles. He made me proud again.

With Brendan taken out we went to find Mr Briney. That dear old man let us hop aboard his boat and we sailed to Dewford to deliver Steven's letter. The little animation is cute.

Once we came ashore I went into Granite Cave after being jumped by a fisherman midway there for a battle. While exploring the cave I saw quite a few new Pokemon, and decided to capture a couple.

First I found a Sableye, caught her and named her Mage. She is Timid. I have played around with some sableye before in gen 3, and remember giving Daddy Norman a hard time years ago with this little ghost since it was immune to many of his moves. While I don't have any plans right now to recreate that fight, it's still a Pokemon that is more useful than you might think in game though it won't have a mega evolution or prankster. It's fully evolved while I only have one badge for one, so that's not insignificant.

At the very least I figured it could help me with him moves since it was able to learn cut. I had gotten the HM from the cutter's house, but nobody to teach it to.

Also in the next to last level of the dungeon I caught an Aron. I'm excited about Aron, because I have never used it before, but I know it's a good Pokemon. It definitely could be good in the future. I knew exactly who I wanted to give Roxanne's rock tomb TM too now :) I named him Hound after Sandor Clegane from Game of Thrones because I think this evolutionary line could look like they have on a suit of armor with all that steel.

I tried to catch some of the wild Abra too, and have myself a Kadabra, thinking I could use it as an alternative to Ralts, but the abras kept getting away from me with teleport. No big deal tho, I still have a good team.

I forgot how hard it was to find your way with only that little peephole of light in Granite cave, but finally I made it to the Promise Land where I saw the great Steven Stone himself--after falling off the ledge accidentally efore I could get to the chamber where he was, forcing myself to have to do the dungeon all over again from the very start!

When I got to the tunnel that led to Steven I made sure not to fall off the landing this time, and met the dashing champion of Hoenn. He was gracious as always, and gave me the Steel Wing TM as a present. I don't have anyone to teach it to right now, but thanks Steven. It's the thought that counts, right?

After my business with the younger Mr. Stone was complete I hung around Granite cave awhile and levelled up Aron to level 15 to get him within striking distance of the rest of my team, mudslapping the other Aron and dropping rock tombs on the zubats. Aron levelled up very quickly and he's very strong with metal claw now.

I wanted him to get some experience because he was going to have stay out of the Dewford gym battles with his fighting type weaknesses, but he has a bright future ahead of him.

Speaking of Dewford, I put Peep at the head of the party and decided to face the fighting gym leader with my own fighting Pokemon.

Brawly's gym was a pain to see in, worse than Granite cave. I got lucky walking around though, and only ran into one forgettable trainer before Brawly, despite the place being flooded with trainers.

Brawly's first pokemon was Machop. Combusken did pretty good damage to it with a super-effective peck. It started using bulk up, so I went into ember to get around the defense boosts with a special move. Peep handled him without much issue.

Then came the Meditite. I switched out because it was a dual type and I didn't remember if it knew a psychic move that could potentially hurt Combusken. This was a mistake though. I switched in Lilypad, who ran right into a focus punch. She survived with literally one point of health as if she had been holding an invisible focus sash. I immediately used absorb to try to get some of the health back. It didn't do much, but it at least broke Meditite's concentration as it went to another one of those brutal 150 base power focus punches. I made sure to attack it every single turn so it couldn't get that terrible move off again, no potions, no switching. Eventually Lilypad took it down.

The last pokemon was Makuhita. LilyPad fought bravely using what modest attacking moves it had, but Makuhita was too much for it, especially after the bulk ups to rachet ups it's attack and degrees. I brought in Combusken and he did a lot of damage too, but Makuhita also k.o.ed him

Things are looking scary, these were the two pokemon I had planned to win with. Aron did not want to face a boosted 4X weak arm thrust or vital throw from that thing.

There was howeve someone else who could. I threw out my Sableye Mage in a Hail Mary play, though it was much weaker than the level 19 Makuhita. It was freshly caught from the cave at only level 10 or 11. It had never seen a serious battle before. What it knew however was Night Shade. Despite all of Makuhita's bulked up defenses this fixed damage move negates that. We slowly but surely whittled Makuhita down, and it couldn't do a thing to us. It only knew fighting moves that Mage was immune too. It tried arm thrust, reversals, vital throws, all to no avail. Brawly was stubborn, and kept spamming super potions every time I had Makuhita on the brink of death, refusing to give up even though there was no way to defeat my ghost. It was long and drawn out, especially since it had a sitrus berry too, but in a matter of time the knuckle badge was ours.

I told you to never underestimate Sableye. Mage saved the day, and has earned a spot on the team for it's heroic performance at Dewford gym. You are a diamond Mage, and will be much more to me than an Hm Slave.

Back