• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Spinoff: Pokemon XG (First Ever Pokemon XD hack)

Years
  • Seen Jan 10, 2017
Wii modding is incredibly easy. Just make sure that your Wii has Gamecube controller slots. It's much easier that way.

1. You can find the instructions on YouTube, follow them to the letter!
2. You'll need a good size SD Card for the Wii. A 32GB should do quite nicely.
3. If you plan to have a lot of games, an external hard drive is a must. Thankfully, you can get a 1TB for under $70, and they're the kind that do not need to be plugged in to the wall.
4. Format both the SD Card and the HDD to Fat32 with 64K Clusters. You may have to go online and find a Fat32 formatter for the HDD. Set the partition to active or else it won't work.

Once that's done, stop and take a break! There's still a few more things to do.

5. On your HDD, create a file named, games. That's where your GAMECUBE games will go. Do not put the folder in any other folder, have it at the root of the HDD/SD Card.
6. You will need two apps for the Homebrew Channel. The Configurable USB Loader (v70r78.10) and Nintendont. You will have to go online and download them and place them in the "apps" folder. You can customize CFG USB Loader to use Nintendont when loading GC games.

The next step is very important!!!

7. If you download a Gamecube game off the internet, the ISO file must be renamed game. The name of the folder that it's in is fine, as long as the game's ID is in the filename. Pokémon XD's ID is [GXXE01]. The ISO size should always be around 1.36GB, this is true for all Gamecube games. Put the folder inside games.

Now that that's done, copy the folder somewhere on your computer.

Also note that when applying the UPS patch, it will take a few minutes to work, so don't panic. It is normal for such a large game to take a while to be patched.

If done correctly, Pokémon XD will show up on both CFG Loader and Nintendont. Fire it up, and if you see Pokémon XG: Next Gen on the title screen, job well done.

Years
Wii modding is incredibly easy. Just make sure that your Wii has Gamecube controller slots. It's much easier that way.

1. You can find the instructions on YouTube, follow them to the letter!
2. You'll need a good size SD Card for the Wii. A 32GB should do quite nicely.
3. If you plan to have a lot of games, an external hard drive is a must. Thankfully, you can get a 1TB for under $70, and they're the kind that do not need to be plugged in to the wall.
4. Format both the SD Card and the HDD to Fat32 with 64K Clusters. You may have to go online and find a Fat32 formatter for the HDD. Set the partition to active or else it won't work.

Once that's done, stop and take a break! There's still a few more things to do.

5. On your HDD, create a file named, games. That's where your GAMECUBE games will go. Do not put the folder in any other folder, have it at the root of the HDD/SD Card.
6. You will need two apps for the Homebrew Channel. The Configurable USB Loader (v70r78.10) and Nintendont. You will have to go online and download them and place them in the "apps" folder. You can customize CFG USB Loader to use Nintendont when loading GC games.

The next step is very important!!!

7. If you download a Gamecube game off the internet, the ISO file must be renamed game. The name of the folder that it's in is fine, as long as the game's ID is in the filename. Pokémon XD's ID is [GXXE01]. The ISO size should always be around 1.36GB, this is true for all Gamecube games. Put the folder inside games.

Now that that's done, copy the folder somewhere on your computer.

Also note that when applying the UPS patch, it will take a few minutes to work, so don't panic. It is normal for such a large game to take a while to be patched.

If done correctly, Pokémon XD will show up on both CFG Loader and Nintendont. Fire it up, and if you see Pokémon XG: Next Gen on the title screen, job well done.

Well, I already have a GameCube, I don't want Nintendont for many games, just this one and maybe a few more some time later, so I am not planning to spend money. I used a 2GB SD Card to install Homebrew Channel in my Wii, using the letterbomb method... Is that wrong? I read it's possible to load iso games from an external USB but I am not sure if that's true...

Now I have to install Nintendont, which seems harder than I thought. Tutorials are for a quite old version of the emulator, is it easy to update?

EDIT: Ok, it's nothing, I am quite dumb... I got it to work and it goes really well as of now! I reached Agate Village without any trouble, amazing game so far! Pokémon get strong moves so fast! Spoiler because I talk about shadow Pokémon here!

Spoiler:

The new set of shadow moves is really cool, that is something that was lacking in the original, so seeing you worked on it is amazing. I will play this very very fast I guess, a hack of my favourite Pokémon game ever... And after waiting for so long I got it working!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 10, 2017
If you're not doing a lot of games, then a flash drive will do the trick. Your 2GB SD Card will work quite well for Pokémon XG, however, you don't have space for any more GC games.

I forgot to mention that you can use CFG USB Loader to dump your physical Gamecube games, so that they can be played via Nintendont.

EDIT: There is a version of Nintendont that runs on the Gamecube, might be worth looking into. Although the Gamecube isn't as easy to hack as the Wii is.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
Spoiler:

The new set of shadow moves is really cool, that is something that was lacking in the original, so seeing you worked on it is amazing. I will play this very very fast I guess, a hack of my favourite Pokémon game ever... And after waiting for so long I got it working!

Good to see that you figure it it out and I hope you enjoy it!

There's actually a mechanic in XD which most people don't know about known as "shadow boost". All shadow pokemon have a slight boost to all their stats until you catch them. That's why their level has a plus after it until they've been snagged. From what I saw it looks like they get a random value of up to around 15 extra points in every stat! Once you catch them they have regular stats again.

Years
Ok, ok, after finishing that Shadow list I got to play this again, yesterday I stopped playing after beating Cipher in Pyrite, so I advanced quite a bit! I am gonna write some spoilers on Shadow Pokémon and trainers, so if you haven't played the game and don't want spoilers you'd better not read! If you don't mind I'll write about my adventure here!

Spoiler:

So that's it! Now I'll beat the first 10 trainers in Mt. Battle... My team as of now consists of Jolteon, Metang, Trapinch, Ludicolo and Combusken, though Combusken might get replaced, it's pretty slow even after a boost and it has low Attack due to IVs maybe. Thank you for creating this amazing game!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
- On a side note, an opponent used Surf and it just hit my 2 Pokémon... I don't know if that has been kept that way on purpose or not; in actual generations, Surf hits everything in the field. Also, a note on that Shadow move that does damage according to the level, I don't remember the name now. When used by a Shadow opponent it does 5 more damage than the opponent's level! That might have to do with that shadow boost thing, it's quite interesting.

So that's it! Now I'll beat the first 10 trainers in Mt. Battle... My team as of now consists of Jolteon, Metang, Trapinch, Ludicolo and Combusken, though Combusken might get replaced, it's pretty slow even after a boost and it has low Attack due to IVs maybe. Thank you for creating this amazing game!

Nice progress G. You can put it inside a spoiler tag so people can avoid spoilers. Also makes the post shorter which is handy.

Surf is just like that in gen 3 and I can't change it atm.
Spoiler:

Also all the shadow pokemon have 2 levels. One of them is the one shown, the other is what would be used if it wasn't a shadow pokemon and is evidently also the one used for moves like seismic toss. I set them all to 5 levels higher because that means the trainer gives more prize money (a tactic used a lot in the original game). I never noticed that myself, pretty cool.

pokemonlover493

Trainer
Years
Hey StarsMmd, what is the progress on the new update for this game? I'm not going to download it until the next update is released. I am looking forward to the finished product.

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
Hey StarsMmd, what is the progress on the new update for this game? I'm not going to download it until the next update is released. I am looking forward to the finished product.

Well since pokemon go happened I've been thrown a little off track. The next version isn't going to be that different though so it's not really worth the wait. The game is mostly done and is pretty stable at this point.

If you really, really want to wait anyway then it'll probably be around a week.

pokemonlover493

Trainer
Years
Well since pokemon go happened I've been thrown a little off track. The next version isn't going to be that different though so it's not really worth the wait. The game is mostly done and is pretty stable at this point.

If you really, really want to wait anyway then it'll probably be around a week.
I'll just wait. I've been playing the original while I wait. I thought in the next version the shadow pokemon are going to be somewhat different than the earlier versions. That's why I have been waiting.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 25, 2017
I really like a lot of the localization changes you've made! As much as I love the gamecube duo, their translation quality was terrible. Making Eagun Ash was particularly great, and makes a ton of sense. And the physical/special split and fairy additions are fantastic! Overall, thank you so much for your great work!

I have a couple of questions though:

1. Do you think you might have made it a bit too easy? I'm still early on, but the amount of powerful pokemon I'm finding is very high. I know part of the original game's charm was beating strong opponents with a roster of mediocre pokemon.

2. Since you made Eagun Ash, could you make Bella into Serena or another Anime character? If Eagun is ash in your new canon it makes more sense to have an established character from his world rather than a random.

Thanks again!

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
I really like a lot of the localization changes you've made! As much as I love the gamecube duo, their translation quality was terrible. Making Eagun Ash was particularly great, and makes a ton of sense. And the physical/special split and fairy additions are fantastic! Overall, thank you so much for your great work!

I have a couple of questions though:

1. Do you think you might have made it a bit too easy? I'm still early on, but the amount of powerful pokemon I'm finding is very high. I know part of the original game's charm was beating strong opponents with a roster of mediocre pokemon.

2. Since you made Eagun Ash, could you make Bella into Serena or another Anime character? If Eagun is ash in your new canon it makes more sense to have an established character from his world rather than a random.

Thanks again!

I'm glad you like it, thanks for the kind words!

1. I think pokemon games are just inherently easy. Making it "hard" isn't as simple as it sounds. Interestingly, some players find XG really hard depending on their play styles. I also don't want the game to require too much grinding as it can get quite boring. There are a lot of level jumps and strong opponents. Not sure there's much else that can increase the challenge without requiring mad grinding. It's something I'm always looking into though. If you have any suggestions I'd be mighty appreciative.

2. I actually renamed Eagun to Ash simply because they both main pikachu. Apart from that there really aren't any ties and I haven't tried to carry over any of Ash's story into XG. I was mainly just trying to come up with names really quickly. A lot of people have made similar comments though!

Years
Hi, I have kept on playing the game, beating Cipher at Phenac! This time I put it in a Spoiler...

Spoiler:

Well, I stopped playing there, looking forward to the last 3 dungeons, especially the last 2 that include Shadow Pokémon! Interesting what you said about Surf, I guess gen III effect is cool and it's ok you want to keep it that way.

Bigpokemonfan0

DBZFan13
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024
Do you know about the game freeze? It randomly happens in the strategy memo from matchups. It happened to me twice, should be best to warn the public to save before using the strategy memo in PstarDA.

Could you tell the public the shiny chances for this game? I also need to know the shadow pokemon stays shiny after failing to snag it.

As for Mt. Battle, the opposing pokemon needs a moveset viewed from another website. I got too confused to tell the three Haunters in the difference, two females in area 1 zone 4.

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
Well, I stopped playing there, looking forward to the last 3 dungeons, especially the last 2 that include Shadow Pokémon! Interesting what you said about Surf, I guess gen III effect is cool and it's ok you want to keep it that way.

Whoops, I missed this post somehow! Fixed some stuff you mentioned so thanks for that and glad you're enjoying the game so far. :)

Do you know about the game freeze? It randomly happens in the strategy memo from matchups. It happened to me twice, should be best to warn the public to save before using the strategy memo in PstarDA.

Could you tell the public the shiny chances for this game? I also need to know the shadow pokemon stays shiny after failing to snag it.

As for Mt. Battle, the opposing pokemon needs a moveset viewed from another website. I got too confused to tell the three Haunters in the difference, two females in area 1 zone 4.

I think that's just a problem with the emulator. They sometimes freeze randomly. I'm not having that issue and I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else (tbf nobody really uses the matchup menu or even knows it exists XD). I'm not sure it's even worth mentioning. Out of curiousity, does it always happen to you or is it only sometimes?

shiny chance is 1 in 200 iirc. By my calculations, this means you have a 40% chance of finding at least one shiny shadow pokemon in a playthrough. ;)

I actually don't know what happens if you don't snag it the first time but I'm pretty sure the shininess should remain.

Yeah not many ghost types gen III XD

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 24, 2016
Well...hi everyone. I'm new here, and in fact, I created an account specifically to thank you for making this hack, Stars. I had just caught the last of Tyrion's Pokemon (leaving only Ho-oh to be caught) when the crushing realization hit me.

So, being relatively unfamiliar with Dolphin and the way things are saved, as well as XD roms in general, I mad a mistake early on that has prevented me from continuing the game after the final battle against Tyrion. At some point during my game, my Dolphin's memory card had become corrupted, leaving me unable to hard-save my game. I had never seen this be an issue in other games I've played, so I thought nothing of it.

However, XD is unique in that it *requires* a hard save once you beat the final boss in order to proceed with post game content.

I cannot access the rest of your wonderful hack, and it has truly crushed me. It was a 40-hour, almost nonstop playthrough which I enjoyed immensely, snagging every shadow Pokemon along the way and having a final fight that took over an hour to finish.

And it's come to a screeching halt because of this memory card issue.

In an attempt to 'format' the memory card to work properly, I made a save-state at the final screen asking if I want to save the game; I then reset the emulator, and started a new game to format the memory card to get rid of the corrupted data.

Little did I know, XD is one of the few GameCube games to actually *check* the previous save data for authenticity, before allowing you to overwrite your data (I can only assume this is to prevent duplicating Pokemon/save files)

I'm now left with several save states from before, during, and after the final fight, with no way to proceed. :(

If anyone has ANY suggestions on how I might fix this, PLEASE let me know. I don't think it's possible to convert the data contained within a save state to game data, as I've scoured the Internet for answers to this dilemma for the past few hours, with no success.

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
Well...hi everyone. I'm new here, and in fact, I created an account specifically to thank you for making this hack, Stars. I had just caught the last of Tyrion's Pokemon (leaving only Ho-oh to be caught) when the crushing realization hit me.

So, being relatively unfamiliar with Dolphin and the way things are saved, as well as XD roms in general, I mad a mistake early on that has prevented me from continuing the game after the final battle against Tyrion. At some point during my game, my Dolphin's memory card had become corrupted, leaving me unable to hard-save my game. I had never seen this be an issue in other games I've played, so I thought nothing of it.

However, XD is unique in that it *requires* a hard save once you beat the final boss in order to proceed with post game content.

I cannot access the rest of your wonderful hack, and it has truly crushed me. It was a 40-hour, almost nonstop playthrough which I enjoyed immensely, snagging every shadow Pokemon along the way and having a final fight that took over an hour to finish.

And it's come to a screeching halt because of this memory card issue.

In an attempt to 'format' the memory card to work properly, I made a save-state at the final screen asking if I want to save the game; I then reset the emulator, and started a new game to format the memory card to get rid of the corrupted data.

Little did I know, XD is one of the few GameCube games to actually *check* the previous save data for authenticity, before allowing you to overwrite your data (I can only assume this is to prevent duplicating Pokemon/save files)

I'm now left with several save states from before, during, and after the final fight, with no way to proceed. :(

If anyone has ANY suggestions on how I might fix this, PLEASE let me know. I don't think it's possible to convert the data contained within a save state to game data, as I've scoured the Internet for answers to this dilemma for the past few hours, with no success.

Welcome! Thank you for your kinds words ??????

I've actually heard quite a few people have had this problem. Apparently the cuase is saving on a different version of the game. For example, starting a save file on an older version and then saving after updating to a new version or saving in vanilla XD with an XG save file and vice versa.

I believe the solution is to delete all pokemon xd save data from the emulators memory card and then load up your save state and then do an in-game save and I think that should allow you to save normally again. I'll double check.

Edit: Just double checked on the other forums where the problem was discussed and apparently after deleting the old save data, you need to start a new game and then save in-game to create a new save file. After that you can load the save state and then save the game normally. Hope this helps ????????????

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 24, 2016
Welcome! Thank you for your kinds words ������

I've actually heard quite a few people have had this problem. Apparently the cuase is saving on a different version of the game. For example, starting a save file on an older version and then saving after updating to a new version or saving in vanilla XD with an XG save file and vice versa.

I believe the solution is to delete all pokemon xd save data from the emulators memory card and then load up your save state and then do an in-game save and I think that should allow you to save normally again. I'll double check.

Edit: Just double checked on the other forums where the problem was discussed and apparently after deleting the old save data, you need to start a new game and then save in-game to create a new save file. After that you can load the save state and then save the game normally. Hope this helps ������������

Unless I'm doing something wrong, that doesn't work with Pokemon XD roms. It gives me the following error when trying to save:
"The Memory Card in Slot A is not the original Memory Card used to save the game. Please insert the original Memory card!"

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
Unless I'm doing something wrong, that doesn't work with Pokemon XD roms. It gives me the following error when trying to save:
"The Memory Card in Slot A is not the original Memory Card used to save the game. Please insert the original Memory card!"

That's weird. Which steps did you follow exactly?

Back