• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Xavs Fakémon Sprites

Years
  • Hi everyone I'm new to this forum...:nervous:
    I'm trying to sprite a few Fakémon for my own game... I just "learned" spriting recently (from reading a few tutorials and of course looking at the original sprites) and hope you can give me tips in how to improve my sprites since I'm doing everything from scratch :classic:

Okay so first of all I'm spriting my starters...

Glovip (Fire)
    firestarter.png

The tip of glovips tail glows faintly and emits fumes to keep enemies on distance.

==> Ferviper (Fire/Posion)
    firestarter2.png

Ferviper lures its prey with the small flame on its tail. When close enough, Ferviper injects a numbing poison into its preys body.

==> Mamburn (Fire/Poison)
    firestarter3.png

Mamburns poison is said to be as hot as lava. It's secreted not only by Mamburns teeth but also by the horns on head and tail.

Shokelpy (Water)
    waterstarter.png

Shokelpys live in small ponds. When they're bored they scare passengers that are attracted by its mysterious voice.

==> Scarenix (Water/Ghost)
    waterstarter2.png

When a Shokelpy evolves it leaves its pond to look for a lake to live in. There it scares more people and swallows their fear to grow more powerful.

==> Feareach (Water/Ghost)
    waterstarter3.png

The black gem on Feareachs forehead is made of the anguish it absorbed. The gem emits dark smoke that hides Feareach so it can horrify passengers even better.

(could someone tell me how to make the smoke more realistic? it still looks kind of weird no matter what I do)

Budubnyum (Grass)
    grassstarter.png

Budumnyum not only draws water out of the earth but also metals which accumulate inside its body and harden its core.

==> Metaleaf (Grass/Steel)
    grassstarter2.png

Once a Budumnyum accumulated enough metal inside, it opens up. Metaleaf uses its core to tackle attackers.

==> Armorell (Grass/Steel)
    grassstarter3.png

Armorell consumes so much metal, that even its leaves are made of steel. They are sharp enough to cut through stone.

More to come :D
    Of course you may comment and critizise ;)

Thanks

XavCtan

Last edited:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • These are very well done for your very first sprites when I started spriting it took me like 4 months to learn to sprite that good (But I did'nt read any tuts)
    So anyways I wish you the best of luck on your spriting journey!

Years
  • These are very well done for your very first sprites when I started spriting it took me like 4 months to learn to sprite that good (But I did'nt read any tuts)
    So anyways I wish you the best of luck on your spriting journey!

Thanks a lot for the comment!!! :D
    I didn't think they are that good... but yeah I guess I compare too much to the original pokémon sprites ^^'
    By the way I finished my grass starters so look at them and comment ;)

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    i like the water one :|
    but overall good job
    Why do you like the water one? :|
    In the pixel art section constructive criticism is a requirement of all posts, so whenever you comment saying you like or dislike something, add why you feel that way.

Years
  • Thanks very much for the comments x)
    I'm glad you seem to like my sprites mostly... I know they aren't perfect but that's why I'm learning xD

Kenji~ your C&C is very, very helpful... thanks a lot for putting so much work into creating those erm... helping guides? (can't think of a good word for it but it should be obvious what I mean) definately +rep!!! (dunno what the requirements for giving rep are on here... but Ill give you rep as soon as I fulfill the requirements ;))

I'll try to improve the sprites in the way you told me as soon as possible ^^

by the way... is it considered a bad thing if I heavily edit sprites for the sake of creating (pre)evos? since in some cases it comes in handy to use certain parts of existing sprites for that sake =X of course I'd do much of it from scratch but it'd be convenient to not have to scratch everything in those cases... just a question =3

XavCtan

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • Thanks very much for the comments x)
    I'm glad you seem to like my sprites mostly... I know they aren't perfect but that's why I'm learning xD

Kenji~ your C&C is very, very helpful... thanks a lot for putting so much work into creating those erm... helping guides? (can't think of a good word for it but it should be obvious what I mean) definately +rep!!! (dunno what the requirements for giving rep are on here... but Ill give you rep as soon as I fulfill the requirements ;))

I'll try to improve the sprites in the way you told me as soon as possible ^^

by the way... is it considered a bad thing if I heavily edit sprites for the sake of creating (pre)evos? since in some cases it comes in handy to use certain parts of existing sprites for that sake =X of course I'd do much of it from scratch but it'd be convenient to not have to scratch everything in those cases... just a question =3

XavCtan

No, not every fakemon needs to be a total scratch. I've seen lots of good fake evolutionary stages made using their originals as base. I'm sure you can find a lot of those in the Pixel Art threads.

Years
  • Hey everyone! I'm sorry that I haven't posted any new (or rather improved old) sprites recently but I was on holidays the past two weeks and have a lot to do for school recently... I will sprite and post new ones soon again though...

XavCtan

Years
  • Okay I have worked on my old starters and made the fire ones considerably better (working on the water set but still have much going on in rl right now)... I also sprited an evolution to Shuckle (I felt like it needed one badly) to bring new content in my thread... however it doesnt let me post the pictures... neither in editing my original post nor in creating a new posts... it always tells me I need to have 15 posts to post links... same thing happens if I want to use smileys... is that an error or whats wrong? =O

Thanks for the help =)

XavCtan

u0850913

What, nine thousand?!
    Years
  • Haha, I just realized the little joke you made in there. I assume that basing one of your Fakemon names off a huge gaming company was intentional? A nice little touch, in my opinion.

The first three remind me of some terribad sprites I did back in the day, but they definitely get better from there. I actually love how the "smoke" on Feareach looks; It looks more like slime than smoke, and that makes it look really cool.

Keep up the good work!

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • The concept is good but the sprites and shading aren't realistic to me. Add some depth to them and they will look much better. But good luck.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    These are awesome!
    I though my idea of wwater ghost starter was original, dangit... my others will be cool though

Years
  • Haha, I just realized the little joke you made in there. I assume that basing one of your Fakemon names off a huge gaming company was intentional? A nice little touch, in my opinion.

The first three remind me of some terribad sprites I did back in the day, but they definitely get better from there. I actually love how the "smoke" on Feareach looks; It looks more like slime than smoke, and that makes it look really cool.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the comment =) If you mean Scarenix with the "joke"... I didnt really mean to base it on Square Enix... ^^' The water starter evo-line is based on water-ghosts from old stories... Shokelpy = Shock and Kelpie (like a Water-horse ghost) ; Scarenix = Scare and Nix (water people from german and norse mythology) ; Feareach = Fear and Each Uisge (an old celtic water monster).

The concept is good but the sprites and shading aren't realistic to me. Add some depth to them and they will look much better. But good luck.

Sadly I dont really know how to add more debth in them... I'm still a beginner in spriting but hope to get better eventually. Thanks for the comment though =)

These are awesome!
    I though my idea of wwater ghost starter was original, dangit... my others will be cool though

Thanks a lot for thinking that they are awesome... I hope to be working on other ones soon so for those of you who like my sprites you can look forward to seeing new ones soon I hope =)

Years
  • Love that blue ghost-fish, I think maybe you could make the first form a little more creepy. Imagine some trainer is like Oh cool! A fish! They catch the pokemon, then a few years later it evolves into that super-creepy final form and they die from a heart attack. Not good! xD

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    I am making a pokemon hack, called pokemon dark fiend (subject to change) and i am adding new pokemon starters. I have the grass ones and I was wondering If i could use your water starter and evolutions (with credit to you obviously as a co-creator of the game). ALso, since I suck at spriting could you pm me if you would be willing to do this and sprite 4 other pokemon for me?

Back